choosing a cfi

RobinHood

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Prince of Thieves
hi!

I have been told the classes for flying training are really expensive afew guys who i met at a AOPA meeting told me if i couldnt commit to a part 140 flying school that i should contact a vagabond cfi

do i need my own plane if i do not fly for a 140 school?

Negative, there are a lot of places to just rent a plane and go part 61 with either their instructor or one of your choosing..

Negative, there are a lot of places to just rent a plane and go part 61 with either their instructor or one of your choosing..

where is the vagabond cfi roster for the waco texas area if you dont mind

:) I don't have that list handy, given that I am in KS...

But I will assume that any old crusty taildragger CFI will serve your purposes just fine..

May be rare but I actually found my cfi on craigslist.
But that was in gainesville.

Worked out great though.

Last edited:
In Waco, head to the airport and try to find Aaron Dabney. I met him a few years ago and was impressed by his dedication to providing a good training experience. The mobile # I got from him at that time was (254) 366-3449. But he is also very active on Facebook, so you may be able to connect there.

But I will assume that any old crusty taildragger CFI will serve your purposes just fine..
I think the OP means vagabond as " a person who wanders from place to place without a home or job", i,e., an independent CFI, not someone to give training in a Piper PA-15 Vagabond.

In any event, there is no real "roster of vagabond cfi's". My advice to the OP would be to go to the local airport and ask around among the local pilots. You'll get the opinions of people who have trained with both the local flight school and the various independent instructors hanging around the airport. There aren't many independents with their own planes in which to give training, but there are a few, and it may fit the OP's needs.

Also, there is no need to "commit" to any flight school, be it one certified under Part 141 of the regulations or one operating under the "regular" Part 61 pilot/flight training rules. However, for someone just starting training, a flight school may be the most convenient option since it will probably have multiple instructors and several airplanes, making it easier to find a good fit and flexible scheduling.

For a lot of good information on getting started on learning to fly, see http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Learn-to-Fly.aspx.

I contacted a gentleman from craigslist today about learning to fly bryan thank you for the information but he teaches helicopters and i want to learn to fly the single engine prop planes if i did the helicopter will the permit allow me to fly planes as well

I contacted a gentleman from craigslist today about learning to fly bryan thank you for the information but he teaches helicopters and i want to learn to fly the single engine prop planes if i did the helicopter will the permit allow me to fly planes as well

No. Aircraft are broken into categories.

You have to get instruction and take a practical test (oral exam /flight exam) for each category of aircraft you wish to fly. Helos, airplanes, airships, balloons, gliders, etc... are different categories. And within the categories (airplanes for example) you have classes - single engine land, multi engine land, single engine sea, multi engine sea. And even for those classes you need addition instruction and need to take and pass a practical test.

Might be a good idea to start with a Discovery flight.
Check around the internet. Sometimes Groupon will have deals where you get a deal and it will have all the locations you can use it.

It is also a good idea to do the discovery flight if you haven't been in a small plane before.

They will take you up for a half hour and let you fly the plane for a portion of the flight.
That is the route I went and was immediately hooked.

No. Aircraft are broken into categories.

You have to get instruction and take a practical test (oral exam /flight exam) for each category of aircraft you wish to fly. Helos, airplanes, airships, balloons, gliders, etc... are different categories. And within the categories (airplanes for example) you have classes - single engine land, multi engine land, single engine sea, multi engine sea. And even for those classes you need addition instruction and need to take and pass a practical test.

i thought i had to get the permit to fly first before i chose which aircraft i wanted to fly i didnt realize that you cant fly them all once you get the permit i guess i kinda thought it was like driving where you get your drivers license you can just get in any car or truck and go as long as its not a semi truck

is a helos a helicopter or are they different

i am going to try for the discover flight next week with the cfi from craigslist in the helicopter just to see if i would even be good at flying or if ill get sick i dont have to fly in a plane to find out if ill like it right

If I remember right, the big player in flight training in Waco is TSTC, on the northeast edge of town. But, that's a Part 141 school.

You may do better to find an FBO at a much smaller airport. Though KCNW isn't all that big. Maybe McGregor?

i thought i had to get the permit to fly first before i chose which aircraft i wanted to fly.
No, you don't need to get a "permit" until you get to the point of being allowed to fly "solo" during your training (that is, by yourself in the plane under limited circumstances).

is a helos a helicopter or are they different
"Helo" is verbal shorthand for "helicopter".

i am going to try for the discover flight next week with the cfi from craigslist in the helicopter just to see if i would even be good at flying or if ill get sick i dont have to fly in a plane to find out if ill like it right
A Discovery Flight sounds like a good idea for you. That instructor should be able to answer the questions you have.

No, you don't need to get a "permit" until you get to the point of being allowed to fly "solo" during your training (that is, by yourself in the plane under limited circumstances).

"Helo" is verbal shorthand for "helicopter".

A Discovery Flight sounds like a good idea for you. That instructor should be able to answer the questions you have.

oh i thought you forgot the extra l in hello ha

when im allowed to fly solo which means by myself does that mean that i can fly alone to see my family i really would enjoy that

That's what I get for making an assumption.

I am 37 too so you are very young :)

I may be totally wrong but guessing you might be younger?
There is a program called young Eagles through the EAA where they give free ride to young folks and also assist in putting them on the path to getting their Pilot's Certificate.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation.../eaa-youth-education/eaa-young-eagles-program

Looks pretty young to me. :D But, my oldest kid is 37. :D:D

Good advice in this thread. Go for it, you'll have fun.

That's what I get for making an assumption.

I am 37 too so you are very young :)

heres another question i just read were i have to get a 1st and 3rd class medical if i want to fly part 61 does this mean that i can get a job as a student pilot how does that work there has to be a for dummies flying book out there i feel like im asking silly questions so i am sorry about that i really want to fly to see my family

oh i thought you forgot the extra l in hello ha

when im allowed to fly solo which means by myself does that mean that i can fly alone to see my family i really would enjoy that

What you can do solo as a student (legally) is basically up to your instructor. Some instructors may only let their students fly to certain approved airports. Some instructors will allow students to fly further away. If you are in Waco, and you want to fly to say, Abilene for the day, (and return the same day) to see your family, that would most likely be possible. Flying to Atlanta, GA solo, not so much.

Once you have become a private pilot, you can fly solo (or with passengers) pretty much anywhere in the country. As you get further into your training you will find out where you can and can't fly and what conditions there will be after you are a private pilot.

heres another question i just read were i have to get a 1st and 3rd class medical if i want to fly part 61 does this mean that i can get a job as a student pilot how does that work there has to be a for dummies flying book out there i feel like im asking silly questions so i am sorry about that i really want to fly to see my family
Punctuation and capitalization are your friends. It's really difficult to parse your posts.

"Student Pilot" isn't a job; the medical question can be complex depending upon your situation and goals. How far away is your family? What's the geography of your departure, trip, and destination?

You will not be able to get a job flying as a student pilot. All you will need a 3rd class.

37 years old and not a punctuation mark in sight /poke

See Post 6 about finding Aaron Dabney.

For the medical, focus first on getting the 3rd class and starting primary training. Don't worry about getting professional employment in aviation until you are further along.

Reasonable questions from someone very new to the game. You'll have plenty more, and it'll do you good to get a conversation going in person rather than posts. At least it will be more efficient.

Head down to your local airport, walk into the "terminal" area, or where there is someone behind the counter (also known as the FBO), and ask if it's OK to talk with a flight instructor for a while about how the process works. Then if you want clarifications, you can get a bunch of opinions here (and some of us actually agree with each other once in a while!)

Have fun!

Not really -- your solo flying as a Student Pilot before you take the written and flight tests for your Private Pilot certificate is very, very limited. But you do have to get your Student Pilot certificate (including medical exam) before you go solo. Up to that point, all your flying is with an instructor, and no permit or medical exam is required.

I again suggest reading the information in the Learn to Fly link I posted above -- this is all explained there.

Punctuation and capitalization are your friends. It's really difficult to parse your posts.

"Student Pilot" isn't a job; the medical question can be complex depending upon your situation and goals. How far away is your family? What's the geography of your departure, trip, and destination?

sorry english isnt my first language and grammer never was my best studies in school but hopefully you can forgive me

my family lives in alberta canada its very difficult to go visit them not because of the monies for the ticket of the flight but because i had a bad experience with the security a few years back because of my faith and i would rather fly myself

it is my wish that once i become a solo pilot that i can make the trip 3 times a month

Wow. I know nothing about flying GA (small private planes) internationally
But they are far slower than you probably are thinking.

Waco, TX to Canada is going to require an over night stop.
It is really not practical. The fuel cost is close to double that of a car so may be more expensive than a plane ticket.

Definitely need to speak to a CFI and lay out all your questions and plans and get their take on it.

it is my wish that once i become a solo pilot that i can make the trip 3 times a month

That is highly unlikely to happen. Even after you pass your check ride and have your private pilot certificate you will find that weather will be a major factor in your ability to fly from point A to point B or not. I have an instrument rating, and if I need a high level of assurance that I can get to where I need to be I drive if the distance is short enough or I ride the airlines. There are too many weather conditions that a light (think, C-172 or C-182 or similar) plane just isn't equipped to handle. Here in the Pacific Northwest the number one item on that list is ICE. In other parts of the country, thunderstorms (heck, you don't fly a 747 through those).

bryan thank you for your information but i have read that if you are able to get in a thermal they can take you long distances and it is my wish that i can partner in a cesna flycatcher 150 or perhaps a 207 if the bigger is needed and when you say overnight stop do you mean that i fly at night can a solo pilot do that

if i have a autopilot can i fly over the thunderstorm or ice

No. Light aircraft can't fly high enough to get over a typical thunderstorm and you have to get through the ice laden clouds to get above them. Flight through known icing conditions is typically prohibited for such planes.

ok so i must not fly through a storm because of ice but how do people fly if the weather is not perfect that is what i need to know

so because i had a bad experience with the security a few years back because of my faith and i would rather fly myself

i have read that if you are able to get in a thermal they can take you long distances and it is my wish that i can partner in a cesna flycatcher 150 or perhaps a 207 if the bigger is needed and when you say overnight stop do you mean that i fly at night can a solo pilot do that

Please do not ask any more questions here until you read the link Ron provided.

(this is starting to smell like a freshly baked Tango roll)

i am reading the link and i am sorry for the questions if they annoy you it would be much faster if i could call someone i sincerly want to learn about the general aviation i will finish reading the link and get a better underanding sorry

So....
You are way ahead of yourself.

I got my cert and I am visual flight rules only. I don't fly through clouds, bad weather and certainly not thunderstorms.

Even a little rain can be a problem especially if you go through a freezing layer.
There is another pilot that shared a story on here about flying through freezing rain.
Didn't see it coming. You can tell just by the reaction of other pilots that it is a significant deal.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68055

For your mission, you are better off dealing with TSA and flying commercial.
If you want to fly as a hobby, then I'd say you got to start at square one which is talking to an instructor or local pilot and having a long conversation about what you can and cant do and why, etc.

Brayan. thank you for your information. i will begin to read that link. you are not very far away from my location would it be. to much to ask if i could ride along with you?

Back