Cherokee 6 / 300

I seriously wouldn't. I just posted a super crazy nice 300/6 with new factory motor, paint, interior, 750/650/500 Garmin, Stec 55x, etc on another thread. Even had rebuilt and working A/C for $165K. Some here said it would sell and it sold within 30 days of being put on the market. I don't think you could take this one and make it close for less than $250K. There just isn't any upside in a restoration project in a shrinking market. Find one someone has spent the money and the time on and buy it for .50 on the dollar.

I seriously wouldn't. I just posted a super crazy nice 300/6 with new factory motor, paint, interior, 750/650/500 Garmin, Stec 55x, etc on another thread. Even had rebuilt and working A/C for $165K. Some here said it would sell and it sold within 30 days of being put on the market. I don't think you could take this one and make it close for less than $250K. There just isn't any upside in a restoration project in a shrinking market. Find one someone has spent the money and the time on and buy it for .50 on the dollar.

I wasn't thinking restoration, just buy it cheap, fly the snot out of it, as a mechanic's truck, family hauler, then junk it.

I wasn't thinking restoration, just buy it cheap, fly the snot out of it, as a mechanic's truck, family hauler, then junk it.

I think it's a fine mission for that bird. Beat the seller down with both fists, because I doubt he has a long list of suitors for an 11K TTAF runout six. :D

I think it's a fine mission for that bird. Beat the seller down with both fists, because I doubt he has a long list of suitors for an 11K TTAF runout six. :D

I take it that you don't think much of old box trucks.

I take it that you don't think much of old box trucks.

Probably not for 45k.....old box trucks command a much lower price....

Value is in the eye of the beholder.;)

Clearly you don't have a clue of the value of a 6-300 with high time you won't find one for 11k unless it is all bent up. You must be thinking of a twin like yours for 11k, the twin market is junk price.:popcorn:

Someone like you could probably rebuild the motor cheap enough and get it in shape mechanically. The challenge to me would be not to do too much with the avionics.

If you need to haul the volume and weight and didn't care much about the value after you're done with it I guess it's the right plane.

Narrow mission though. I guess for someone handy, it might be a good deal. For a guy with an A&P/IA that's the target demographic. I sure would inspect the hell out of the spar carrythrough.

Runout engine ,high time ,needs avionics. for your mission I would still look it over very carefully. The engine overhaul alone,is going to eat up a good deal of money.

The avionics tickle me. Immediately the buyers start thinking of a big panel upgrade - yet the pilot(s) flying packages in this airplane flew the wheels off it for 11,000 hours in all kinds of weather that the new owner would never dream of going out in, with that panel.
A fancy panel does not a pilot make.

As far as a cheap overhaul - it all depends on total time and condition of the injection pump and injectors, accessory case, oil cooler, vacuum pump, hoses, plug wires, engine mount, is prop run out, muffler and heat muff condition, any ADs, yadda yadda. This stuff can double the price of just doing a field overhaul of the basic engine.
Plus it is likely you will find that all the controls need new rod ends, etc. to get the slop out of the yoke and pedals, the door hinges and latch are worn out, pilots seat track is junk, and so on.
If you can do the work and have access to the parts at distributor prices maybe - just maybe.

I get all kinds of young guys fascinated by my Fat Albert The Apache (1957 PA23-150)
One even came out and said "boy, I'll bet that is cheap flying"
My comment back was, "If you can buy one cheap you can't afford it."

Clearly you don't have a clue of the value of a 6-300 with high time you won't find one for 11k unless it is all bent up. You must be thinking of a twin like yours for 11k, the twin market is junk price.:popcorn:

I don't think they meant $11,000. :no:

...because I doubt he has a long list of suitors for an 11K TTAF runout six. :D

reading comprehension for the win. :rolleyes:

Also, are you talking trash on twins from an Apache throne? Dude.

Cheap pick up truck, if that's what you're looking for, it looks ok. Personally I like the commuter seating better for flying family & friends, but the club seating makes it a money maker when you set it up for mile high rides.

run Joey.....run.

High timed clap trap.....

No matter what you do to it Tom....it will always have +11,000 TT.

The panel is a mess, the interior is a mess, the airframe is high time but could be fine but most likely has cracked upper wing skins in the root panel section, the engine can be fixed....but, after all that you still have a high time airframe.

kinda like putting lipstick on a pig.....IMHO.

If you have to have it.....offer $25K and go.

The panel is a mess, the interior is a mess, the airframe is high time but could be fine but most likely has cracked upper wing skins in the root panel section, the engine can be fixed....but, after all that you still have a high time airframe.

Did you see the part where the end game was to junk it?

for a $45K purchase?.....crazy money.:goofy:

my old Six recently resold.....it had ~4,000TT, a GNS 430W, wing leveler, nice leather interior, and a 600hr factory engine......for $53K ($20K below where I sold it).

Last edited:

I think for Tom it'll make a good flying Suburban, considering the location he likely knows the plane and wouldn't be considering it if he thought it was junk. Tom's a big boy, he know what all the numbers mean and can keep the engine going for minimum cost. Cherokee 6s in high condition with a new panel and low hours don't come cheap. Tom is a VFR pilot from what I know, so nothing really lacking that can't be replaced with an iPad or 796. If it's a good plane that he is going to use up, why not?

That's the price of a new truck.

From what I have been eyeing, any Cherokee 6 at or below that price has significant airframe issues. (I looked at some cheap ones for a guy over the last two months and there was some really wrung out junk) so if this one has a pretty clean airframe (11,000 hrs:dunno: you know what you're looking for so...) I can see it being a decent buy at $45k. It looks like you still generally need to give $60+ for a clean older airframe with old radios and mid time+ on the engine.

run Joey.....run.

High timed clap trap.....

No matter what you do to it Tom....it will always have +11,000 TT.

If you have to have it.....offer $25K and go.

It's a 135 plane. They aren't always pretty and well equipped, but the airframes are usually alright.

Here is one 430W, A/P, etc. New Paint, New Interior, 300 hour engine and prop. Half the airframe time. All for an asking price of $99K. I bet you could buy it for $90K. How does the one you're looking at make sense?

It makes sense because he doesn't NEED all that crap and doesn't want to pay for it.

Believe it or not, not everyone is into all the latest and greatest equipment (read EXPENSIVE). A basic VFR flyer with one radio and a transponder is more than enough for most people.

It's less than half the price and does the same thing for him.

Does it? How much is it after the rebuilt engine and prop overhaul? $80K? This just seems penny wise and pound foolish. I'll drop out now.

It makes sense because he doesn't NEED all that crap and doesn't want to pay for it.

Believe it or not, not everyone is into all the latest and greatest equipment (read EXPENSIVE). A basic VFR flyer with one radio and a transponder is more than enough for most people.

Half the pilots here believe a brand new aircraft will need an up grade before they fly it.

Does it? How much is it after the rebuilt engine and prop overhaul? $80K? This just seems penny wise and pound foolish. I'll drop out now.

Why fix some thing that ain't broke?

Tom can rebuild the engine for $17,500 and a new Scimitar runs around $12k last I looked. To me overhauling old design props is silly, just replace them with modern more efficient designs.

Besides, he doesn't need a rebuilt engine, he's part 91, and A&P IA, he can keep that plane flying to the junkyard for several years nickel and diming the engine along. These are not complex engines. The only advantage you get from an "Overhaul" over an 'IRAN' comes at resale. If you are flying it to the junkyard, there is never any good reason to get an "Overhaul".

Last edited:
Tom can rebuild the engine for $17,500 and a new Scimitar runs around $12k last I looked. To me overhauling old design props is silly, just replace them with modern more efficient designs.

Besides, he doesn't need a rebuilt engine, he's part 91, and A&P IA, he can keep that plane flying to the junkyard for several years nickel and diming the engine along. These are not complex engines. The only advantage you get from an "Overhaul" over an 'IRAN' comes at resale. If you are flying it to the junkyard, there is never any good reason to get an "Overhaul".

Why would you overhaul an engine that will cost half the value of the aircraft.?

OK, you'd know better than me, I hope it works out.

got a guess how long the engine will run past TBO?
I'd probably not fly it 100 hours in the next 2 years.

Why would you overhaul an engine that will cost half the value of the aircraft.?

I wouldn't, his point was an economic comparison as it was a better deal to cost of overhaul, I was just pointing out that for you that still didn't apply.

The second paragraph is how I, and I suspect you, would operate this plane into the future.

I guess there is no big problems with a 6-300, no soft spots or big worries?

Inspect the inboard sections of the wings between the gear very carefully, that is the weak area I have seen in them for cracking sheet metal including ribs. There is also the bearings in the trim spool, if that falls apart, which it can, enough to cause problems, it can cause control issues. Outside of that, same as looking at any other plane.

If you are flying it to the junkyard, there is never any good reason to get an "Overhaul".

It's funny I was looking at some Citations for sale last week, out of boredom, not shopping. :D
Anyway, you can buy a pretty nice I S/P with fresh hot sections for $400K, that gives you 1500+ hours to OH, assuming a scrap value of $100K. That's $200 per hour for the engine cost over the 1500 hours, you would still have maintenance issues, but the engines themselves wouldn't likely need much spent on them for the remainder of their useful life. :D
So you could fly a Citation to the junkyard for $400 per hour plus fuel. :yes:

To me, it doesn't look too bad, obvious to point out are the high airframe times and the engine pushing TBO, if you are willing to put some money into it, I think you could have yourself a nice airplane. As always get a thorough pre-buy if you are interested in making it yours.

Last edited:
Back