Checklist Ideas?

K

KennyFlys

My school's owner has been strictly in favor of only the published checklist by Cessna. That policy is perfectly okay but unfortunately those checklists are worse than expensive.

I'm of the opinion every pilot and student should possess a copy of the checklist in use by that school/FBO and not simply rely on the copy in the plane. So, I've created a checklist that is based on the POH with all applicable notes, warnings and cautions. The format is 5.5 x 8.5 and will be spiral bound at the top.

Among many small details I've added (such as comm and squawk during forced landing), I've added a pre-taxi check list that has always been left out of the POH version. It's getting old having to stop an early student from wanting to step on the throttle and start taxiing after startup.

With exception of the exterior preflight check, all lists will be on the same page and not require flipping over to the next page. They will be on the same face of the page and not the backside of any page.

While I'm in the final formatting of the project, I'm adding other information such as aircraft performance along with airport diagrams and information for those specific airports. There will be references to area VORs and airports with initial magnetic headings and distance.

I'll have four to six pages left blank once I've completed what I currently have in mind. I'm open to all ideas others would add to a check list or would have appreciated in the various commercially available checklist.

This initial project is for the 172S Nav II with the next one being for the 172S Nav III. Eventually, I'll add one for the R182 and BE-55.

All I have to say is..... Keep it simple stupid.

On the ones I've made up for myself, I've included a checklist for setting up the specific airplane for each type of instrument approach (ILS, VOR, GPS), including the configurations (power settings, flaps, and pitch attitudes) required to attain certain speeds / descent / ascent rates in different phases of the approach.

I use them as a pre-approach briefing, and in arm-chair flying when its been a while, for review.

First off, what does your checklist have that a POH doesn't? All of the students here possess a copy of the aircraft POH the flight school buys in bulk. All of the performance, pre-flight checks, and aircraft data are located there. If they want anything beyond that such as W&B, it’s with the official POH as I'm sure yours is. Although our school does write extra advisories such as a pre-takeoff briefing. Ours also contains a pre-taxi checklist but in my opinion it contains things your instructor would tell you to do such as listening to ATIS/calling ground and things you do during run up such as aligning the compass with the DG. A student being eager to go is natural; everyone wants to get in the air as quickly as possible. That’s where its you're job to slow them down and teach them procedures. Just keep in mind that although procedures gives students a great base to learn upon, make sure they're not so great that half the flight is spent on the ground.

Maybe I missed something but why are you adding performance, airport diagrams, and VORs? Isn't that something you're supposed to teach students how to find and read on sectionals, A/FDs and other resources they should carry with them? One day they're going to fly past their comfort zone and their teddy bear reference book you give them will no longer be useful. I definitely understand the usefulness of it but I'd be careful not to let them rely on it for all their flying needs.

Although I do like the communications and squawk freq idea, hopefully students memorize that after a while though.

Last edited:
First off, what does your checklist have that a POH doesn't? All of the students here poses a copy of the aircraft POH the flight school buys in bulk. All of the performance, pre-flight checks, and aircraft data are located there. If they want anything beyond that such as W&B, its with the official POH as I'm sure yours is. Although our school does write extra advisories such as a pre-takeoff briefing. Ours also contains a pre-taxi checklist but in my opinion it contains things your instructor would tell you to do such as listening to ATIS/calling ground and things you do during run up such as aligning the compass with the DG. Students being eager to go is natural, everyone wants to get in the air as quickly as possible. Thats where its you're job to slow them down and teach them procedures. Just keep in mind that although procedures gives students a great base to learn upon, make sure they're not so great that half the flight is spent on the ground.

Maybe I missed something but why are you adding performance, airport diagrams, and VORs? Isn't that something you're supposed to teach students how to find and read on sectionals, A/FDs and other resources they should carry with them? One day they're going to fly past their comfort zone and thier teddy bear reference book you give them will no longer be usefull. I deffinitly understand the usefullness of it but I'd be carefull not to let them rely on it for all thier flying needs.

Although I do like the communications and sqawk freq idea, hopefully students memorize that after a while though.

Tris, as mentioned, it has the pre-taxi list. Other lists are amended from what's in the POH such as checking the pitot tube during the left wing. Checking it is part of removing the cover in the cabin portion of preflight but how many actually check the openings?

Performance information is there for quick reference as is everything else I mentioned. That's the primary purpose of my inquiry, here. What useful information would one like to see as a quick reference? I'd rather fill in the space than leave it blank. I'm sure not selling advertising space like a couple commercially available lists.

Additionally, I want everything to be there for use. Check list discipline is very important for the person headed for a professional career. Everything is covered by a check list either during the procedures or as a verification immediately after the procedure. So, it's best to start out using them consistently.

I understand that especially once you get into the airline world, checklists is a part of life during every portion of every move of the aircraft which is fine, just as mentioned earlier, keep it simple.

My theory behind why the POH doesn't say to check the hole itself is because the purpose of the pitot cover is to block the entrance of whatever might enter it. However, this does not leave pilots free to ignore it. This is why its good to walk a primary student through a thorough pre-flight check. Other things are not mentioned in POH such as the 3 weights that are in cessna ailerons which prevent flutter. I always check that myself because thats what I learned under my first CFI, not because the POH said so. After a student recieves thier PPC, they create thier own routine of what works for them.

The problem with most "check list" is they are more than likely a "Do list" and act as an instruction manual. In professional flying you go through flows and then use the "check list" as a verification of the completed flow.

I wrote my own checklist for the Aztec because the one it came with sucked, and the one in the POH sucked worse. Otherwise, I've found the standard checklists to be adequate. I'm with Jesse on this one.

I'm also with Tristan. Giving a student a checklist does not help that student become a better pilot. One of my biggest problems with standard flight instruction is that it gives students bullet points to learn, without teaching that student how to think about where those bullet points came from or how to find new ones for him or herself. This philosophy of "Here's your answer" leads to pilots who don't know how to handle situations that they've never encountered before.

If you want to do this exercise (which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad idea), I would make a master one for yourself, and then make the exercise be go through the student making one for him or herself. Rather than saying exactly what to put in, have it be something you do with asking probing questions that get the student to think about the process so he or she can get the neurons firing.

Why? That should be a memory item learned in ground school. Engine failure items should be "Phase One" memory items.
Because I want students to see that item when I send them home to "chair fly" procedures. I'm not there to remind so any prompting I can provide elsewhere is good.

Folks, I didn't ask for criticism.

First, NO check list is the end all to everything on ANY aircraft. If it were, the first time I walk a new student through preflight would not take ninety minutes or better. Not even the POH has everything that needs to be known.

If folks would go back and read my original posts, they'll see I'm limited to using what IS in the POH and there is no choice in that matter. I can add to it but not take away what's there. It's either go that route or I can't put out anything for my students. If that leads you to start criticizing my school, take your post elsewhere. It's not needed here and serves no purpose.

I'll have four to six pages left blank once I've completed what I currently have in mind.
How many pages is the checklist to begin with if you have four to six pages left blank? Maybe I'm not understanding something, but why do you have blank pages? Why can't you just leave them out? Also, as far as the pitot tube cover goes, you can tell them to check the opening at the same time as they remove the cover. I don't think that needs to be a separate step on a checklist. Checklists are not supposed to be detailed directions about how to fly the airplane.

How many pages is the checklist to begin with if you have four to six pages left blank? Maybe I'm not understanding something, but why do you have blank pages? Why can't you just leave them out? Also, as far as the pitot tube cover goes, you can tell them to check the opening at the same time as they remove the cover. I don't think that needs to be a separate step on a checklist. Checklists are not supposed to be detailed directions about how to fly the airplane.
The check list is 22 sheets. All normal and emergency procedures are on one face of each sheet and with exception of the exterior preflight check, each individual list is on one face of the same sheet. There's no flipping from one sheet to the next during that specific procedure.

I do have them look at the pitot tube at the time the cover is removed as well as during the left wing inspection. But, there's not a thing wrong with redundancy. How many times is the fuel selector valve in procedures before taking to the sky? Three times on three individual lists. It's also on other individual lists during flight as well as prelanding and post-flight securing.

Because I want students to see that item when I send them home to "chair fly" procedures. I'm not there to remind so any prompting I can provide elsewhere is good.

I guess what I don't understand is are you developing a "check list" to use in the airplane or a study guide for the student to take home and "chair fly"?

True "check list" should do just that, check items that have been completed and not be an instruction manual.

Folks, I didn't ask for criticism.

And you're somehow surprised that you posted an idea, furthermore one that you wish to feed to students, and have people who think it's a bad idea tell you? Not how it works. You get feedback. That will include criticism. If you don't like that, then don't post it. I get the same, just as everyone else.

The check list is 22 sheets. All normal and emergency procedures are on one face of each sheet and with exception of the exterior preflight check, each individual list is on one face of the same sheet. There's no flipping from one sheet to the next during that specific procedure.

22 pages is a bit more than 1/4 the thickness of the owner's manual that my Aztec came with. That is far too much info for quick reference sheets.

The check list is 22 sheets.
How many of those sheets are normal procedures?

But, there's not a thing wrong with redundancy. How many times is the fuel selector valve in procedures before taking to the sky? Three times on three individual lists. It's also on other individual lists during flight as well as prelanding and post-flight securing.
One problem is that people will be spending more time doing the checklists then flying the plane. The other problem is that people are naturally going to gravitate towards simplifying thing and they won't use your checklists when they are past the point of being compelled to do so.

I guess what I don't understand is are you developing a "check list" to use in the airplane or a study guide for the student to take home and "chair fly"?

True "check list" should do just that, check items that have been completed and not be an instruction manual.
Both. I want that check list to be available to them at all times.

I wanted to place an inexpensive check list in student's hands. I was given specific limitations by the school's owner. I'm complying with those limitations along with providing information that is not in the POH. On top of it, I'm adding some handy and useful information they can access without having to dig into the POH during the flight. If factors change on where they may need to land, they have that chart in hand within the checklist.

This isn't a flight manual. There are a LOT of details I was able to leave out. But, all of the notes had to be included.

How many of those sheets are normal procedures?

One problem is that people will be spending more time doing the checklists then flying the plane. The other problem is that people are naturally going to gravitate towards simplifying thing and they won't use your checklists when they are past the point of being compelled to do so.
Nine pages make up normal procedures. Each line item is in 13 point type while notes are in 12 or 10 point.

If I had my way, we would be selling the Checkmate Aviation check lists as they are very well done. But, I can't convince the owner of this. So, this act was my only option.

Yes, many pilots will stray away from use when not compelled. When I'm not in the cabin with them, I can't force use or even encourage. All I can do is encourage a constant habit when I am with them.

As for the use of lists over flying the plane, all lists should be well-known. But, the lists should be handy and should be verified at all times possible. I teach emergency procedures as a flow to be done calmly, deliberately and without delay. When time permits, verify the procedure with the check list. But, if you're only a thousand feet above ground, throw the list aside and fly the airplane. Teaching the use of check lists is not without also teaching application of ADM (judgment).

In professional flying you go through flows and then use the "check list" as a verification of the completed flow.
In professional flying, you're always flying the same aircraft, or one of a group of several that are identically configured and laid out. Flows assume the same switch will be in the same location every time. That's not true in the rental aircraft fleet.

I've just endured checklist total immersion. Take heed and advise your students of Rotor&Wing's comment that a checklist is NOT a to do list. It can and should be used to quickly verify that everything has been done but this is after having done everything for that particular phase (awkward grammar, sorry). I've got to believe this is true for everything from a C150 to a B747.

In professional flying, you're always flying the same aircraft, or one of a group of several that are identically configured and laid out. Flows assume the same switch will be in the same location every time. That's not true in the rental aircraft fleet.

A bit over simplified, but essentially most GA trainers are laid out the same unless your using say 172's from 25 years ago to ones being produced today.

Too often I see these exorbitant checklist that read like an instruction manual than a true checklist.

Exactly. Therefore, I don't believe the checklist needs to have detailed instructions on how to start the plane, nor does it need to say "Interior lights - as required".

My personal checklist is currently short enough that it will fit on half of a letter sized sheet. The other half is abnormal procedures. A 152 could get away with maybe half of that? Even those checkmate checklists (1 page) are way too long, IMO.

-Felix

My personal checklist is currently short enough that it will fit on half of a letter sized sheet. The other half is abnormal procedures. A 152 could get away with maybe half of that? Even those checkmate checklists (1 page) are way too long, IMO.
Ken, unfortunately, is stuck with adding things to the factory checklist, not removing them - therefore, his checklist cannot be shorter than the factory list with all of the useless stuff present.

The factory checklist for the Zodiac is the Checkmate...it's a good starting point, though I do not use it for preflight. There, I do use a flow, because it doesn't matter what order things are in - everything that's there gets inspected. This works for preflight, but not as well for stuff in the cockpit where every switch and control is not used for every procedure.

I've just endured checklist total immersion. Take heed and advise your students of Rotor&Wing's comment that a checklist is NOT a to do list. It can and should be used to quickly verify that everything has been done but this is after having done everything for that particular phase (awkward grammar, sorry). I've got to believe this is true for everything from a C150 to a B747.
I agree. I'm sure you also used a "Challenge & Repond" procedure.

My first goal is to get them into a check list mentality. Initially, this is going to seem like a "To do" list. On certain functions, I have them be sure of the procedure before acting. For example, I don't want them running the auxiliary fuel pump any longer than necessary; ten seconds at best.

I don't want them going at it alone when they aren't yet familiar with that airplane. Even when you are very familiar, it's verifying what you've covered, might have missed (Or worse, what you might have set incorrectly) that's going to save your rear end.

During my instrument training, we did use Challenge & Respond. I'm considering implementation of the same for anyone considering pursuing a professional pilot career once past private pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, unfortunately, is stuck with adding things to the factory checklist, not removing them - therefore, his checklist cannot be shorter than the factory list with all of the useless stuff present.
So very true. A list of all ordinary and likely emergency procedures can be contained on a tri-fold letter or legal sheet of paper. I used that early on until I began using the checkmate list. I like those only because they are more compact and are a Polyart paper that will hold up to some abuse.

But, I have what I have so I'm making the best of it.

I've made a checklist for every airplane I've flown more than once and I've made some for owners and for students.

The only owner who didn't use it wasn't exactly a checklist type of pilot.

He also missed at least one critical item in flight everytime I flew with him.

I buy the USAF blue platic page books and stick in however many pages are needed.

Those laminated $10 deals in the pilot shops are far too small, and always have at least one questionable item (speeds in Knots when the actual airplane is in MPH, as an isoltaed example).

The number of pages is a function of white space and text size. Someone with better page layout skills can cram more in less space.

So?

My preference is one page per critical phase of flight (Cruise, Approach, Emergencies, etc).

Of course a Flight School may be more anal, anxioulsy looking forward to:

ATTORNEY: "So, Mr. Flightschoolowner, your students did not use the official airplane publications? What exactly did they use?"

MR F: "Well, they used a checklist one of my instructors made up?"

ATT: "Made up?! Was that instructor an aircraft engineer, Mr Flightschoolowner? Was that instructor aware of how many senior engineers and pilots participate in an airplane operating handbook review board? Your honor, I submit for evidence the list of members of the Pilots Operating Handbook review board for the Cessna 172N, the very same model of aircraft Mr Flightschoolowner choose to ignore and replace with a homegrown document...."

Anyway, legal protection often trumps ease of use.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something but why are you adding performance, airport diagrams, and VORs?
It's part of an unfortunately common effort by flight schools to avoid perceived (but probably minimal) liability by creating checklists that are not only worse than the manufacturer's but also so chock full of unnecessary junk that they are less likely to be used.

See if this fits your bill - it's based on the POH, and several flight schools around here use it. I've thought of commercializing it but don't want the hassle. This is for a C172R. Everything's based on the POH, and I've added performance, best glide, and some service stuff.

One page, front and back, folded over.

Attachments

• C172R booklet.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 29
See if this fits your bill - it's based on the POH, and several flight schools around here use it. I've thought of commercializing it but don't want the hassle. This is for a C172R. Everything's based on the POH, and I've added performance, best glide, and some service stuff.

One page, front and back, folded over.

Tremendous overkill for a "checklist".

This initial project is for the 172S Nav II with the next one being for the 172S Nav III. Eventually, I'll add one for the R182 and BE-55.
I like to have my own checklists for the half-dozen or so airplanes I fly. One reason, obviously, is consistency. I also put various important numbers, v speeds, tire pressures, etc. on the checklist card.

Something I learned: It is incredibly difficult to keep multiple checklists up to date and consistent. I found that I used slightly different wording, slightly different ordering, etc. on different lists, also that I failed to update all the lists when I found an error or made a small improvement in some area. So I suggest that you invest some planning time into minimizing this issue before you launch off on your full project.

What I ended up doing (step 1) was to make each checklist a column of a single Excel worksheet. This made it easy to check them for consistent wording, iorder, standard and missing items, etc. Then I took the columns from the spreadsheet to make the checklists themselves.

Step 2 was one of those devil-finds-work-for-idle-hands deals, and now I have about 500 lines of VBA code that sucks the checklist items off the master sheet, then formats and sizes them to a kneeboard page. Updating a checklist just involves changing the content on the master sheet and clicking a tab to have the checklist regenerated and ready to print. If you are a real lunatic and familiar with VBA programming, PM me for a sample.

I wrote my own checklist for the Aztec because the one it came with sucked, and the one in the POH sucked worse. Otherwise, I've found the standard checklists to be adequate. I'm with Jesse on this one.

I'm also with Tristan. Giving a student a checklist does not help that student become a better pilot. One of my biggest problems with standard flight instruction is that it gives students bullet points to learn, without teaching that student how to think about where those bullet points came from or how to find new ones for him or herself. This philosophy of "Here's your answer" leads to pilots who don't know how to handle situations that they've never encountered before.

If you want to do this exercise (which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad idea), I would make a master one for yourself, and then make the exercise be go through the student making one for him or herself. Rather than saying exactly what to put in, have it be something you do with asking probing questions that get the student to think about the process so he or she can get the neurons firing.

Exactly - teach the student how to think!

Spoonfeeding information is an ineffective teaching method.

Trapper John

Tremendous overkill for a "checklist".

Thank you for your opinion. Since I, and quite a few area pilots and CFIs like it as a handy reference, I'll continue to produce it. It's not supposed to be "just" a checklist, but it does contain everything that the POH expects a pilot to do, along with other stuff so the pilot doesn't have to rummage through the airplane POH except for in-depth troubleshooting where schematics or systems descriptions might be useful

I get a nice little booklet for the 8 or so different airplanes I fly, in a consistent format, in a coil bound format that's less than 3/8" thick.

Considering that the "normal procedures" section of a recent 172R runs 10 pages in the PIM, condensing it down to essentially 2.5 is pretty good, in my not-humble-at-all opinion.

It's certainly possible to fly a 172R without more than CIGARTIPS and GUMPS, but that's not how schools are doing it around here. That could be due to insurance concerns or FAA directions (many schools are 141), but nearly all of them have checklists that include every procedural item in the PIM.

Since we are on the subject of "checklist" can someone explain to me on a C-172 when this part of the checklist shall be used and how? I would honestly like to see a pilot try to execute either of these checklist during the event.

—ENGINE FAILURES—
—DURING TAKEOFF—
Throttle ....................................................... Idle
Brakes ...................................................... Apply
Flaps ..................................................... Retract
Mixture ............................................. Idle-Cutoff
Ignition ......................................................... Off
Master Switch .............................................. Off
—IMMEDIATELY AFTER TAKEOFF—
Airspeed ........................... 65 KIAS (Flaps UP)
.................................... 60 KIAS (Flaps DOWN)
Fuel Valve .................................................... Off
Ignition Switch ............................................. Off
Flaps ............................................. As Required
Cabin Door ........................................... Unlatch
Land ................................................. As Briefed

Which leads to this "checklist" item. Once again, at what point do you execute this?

—FIRES—
—ENGINE FIRE DURING START—
Cranking ............................................. Continue
If Engine Starts:
Throttle ...................... 1700 RPM for 3 minutes
Engine .......................... Shutdown and Inspect
If Engine Does NOT Start:
Throttle ....................................................... Full
Cranking ............................................. Continue
Fuel Valve .................................................... Off
Fuel Pump ................................................... Off
Extinguisher ............................................Obtain
Engine ................................................... Secure
Ignition ......................................................... Off
Brakes .......................................................... Off
EVACUATE
EXTINGUISH FIRE
Aircraft .............................. Inspect for Damage

Here's another item. At what point does the pilot reach down and pick up the checklist to accomplish these items?

—GO AROUND—
Throttle ....................................................... Full
Flaps ............................................ Retract to 20
Climb Airspeed .................................... 55 KIAS
Flaps ............... 10 (until obstacles are cleared)
................................ UP after reaching 60 KIAS

With all due respect, what I'm pointing out here is this is not a true "checklist" but just a condensed flight manual. A true checklist doesn't give items such as:

—APPROACH—
Cockpit Chatter ....................................... Sterile
Destination ATIS / AWOS .................. Obtained
Approach Clearance .......................... Obtained
Runway Length ................................... Checked

Approach ............................................... Briefed
Nav Systems .......................... Set for Approach
Radios ................................... Set for Approach
Initial Approach Configuration
............................................... Clean / 110 KIAS

Magnetos ................................................... Both
Lights ........................................................... On
Seat Belts ............................................ Secured
Final Approach Segment:
Airspeed ....................................... 90-100 KIAS

And why are we checking magnetos for "both" on an approach checklist? Is there a proceedure for running on one magneto during normal flight that would mandate this?

Here's my 2¢:

• I think your effort is worthwhile
  • Checklists often start as "do" lists then transition to "done" lists as the pilot becomes familiar with them.
  • Checklist can be too detailed. Ron Levy has said (paraphrased but accurate I hope) if you get the student counting rivets they can miss the big dent the fuel truck put in the plane.
  • If a new pilot gets in a high stress situation with plenty of time, like a rough running engine at altitude, it's helpful to have detailed information handy.
  • The POH/AFM is usually not handy, because it is big and takes time to find things.
  • Too bad you are restricted to adding items to the POH checklists.
Maybe there is a workable compromise. How about a couple of very short pages in front for a few normal and emergency procedures followed by the detailed ones?

The checklist for our partnership are growing by adding things one of us has forgotten. My current task is detailed procedures for hot, vapor lock prone and flooded starts.

When I first wrote it, I jokingly added as the last line: "Pants: ZIPPED, CAR KEYS IN POCKET". Nobody commented, everybody checks.

Joe

Joe

Since we are on the subject of "checklist" can someone explain to me ...
ROFL. You're trying to use logic to analyze a result produced by a dozen CYA lawyers.

One of my favorites is a Cessna checklist I saw one time where one was to "continue cranking" while simultaneously seeking a "ground attendant" with a fire extinguisher.

I think that anyone who within the first few lessons doesn't instinctively know without looking at a checklist that the way to abort a takeoff is "Throttle - Idle, Brakes - Apply" shouldn't be anywhere near an airplane. :dunno:

For all those who want to criticize, knock yourself out. I don't care. I stated the facts in my first post.
  1. As it stands now, there are only check lists in the aircraft and some are falling apart. I want to see every student have a full check list separate from the POH for both flight use and for chair flying. So, I've chosen to taken on the project of creating a list that is nearly identical to the POH and the stand-alone published list.
  2. I'm limited by the school's owner to list everything that's in the POH. I don't have a choice in the matter.
  3. I am able to make some modifications but very few. Either way, the entire project is going to be 22 5.5x8.5 sheets with all normal and emergency procedures on only one side of each sheet. With that, it's still shorter than the stand-alone check list sold by Cessna for $40+.
  4. That leaves the backside free for other useful information.
  5. I asked for suggestions for such useful data. So far, I've only heard from Troy on IFR-related ideas. That's something I've considered.
  6. I'm open to other useful ideas as long as it conforms to the limitations placed on me.
With the limitations I have, it does absolutely no good for anyone to provide criticism, yet it flows openly. If you don't like check lists, fine. If you want to use something different, great. You have that choice. Neither I nor my students have that option. So, I'm trying to make the best out of nearly nothing and out of my pocket when I have them printed.

~~~
Remaining from my prior post:

There's a few of you who are making me flipping sorry I brought up the subject. In fact, I am sorry I brought it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back