Check ride hours???

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
I soloed in about 15 hours, my CfI signed me off and said I could fly around the airport not more than 25 miles away, and to stay out of controlled airspace.

My CFI worked another job and flew with me in the evenings. I started flying every time the weather was calm, and being retired I flew often, and did own my own aircraft. I asked him one day how long before I could do my check ride and get my license,,, he checked my log book, I had 117 hours... he could hardly believe it. I went to school for my written and had my license in two weeks.

My CFI told me after I got my license, now you can legally fly anywhere in the US, but take it easy and don't venture too far until you have more experience, I told him OK, the next week I flew to the Bahamas for the first time of over 80 times.

I was 62 years old at the time, he should have know us old far..s don't listen.:D

After I got my license I ventured out to other airports. I don't understand the pilots who take friends and do touch and go's or only go 10 miles away from the airport.

I got my license to fly somewhere, just flying in circles around the airport do get it for me, but some enjoy it and its all they want to do, so I won't be judgmental. Flying in comfortable areas is great to take kids and family for a exciting rides for them.

Long cross countries,are usually just a bunch of shorter flights lumped together.wont be happy untill I land in all fifty states. Have done the Bahamas several times,also western Canada. Flying is fun the destination is the adventure.

I remember as a young, newly minted PP my typical flight was 55nm to another airport, grab a coke out of the machine, then head back. That was fine then, considering I was broke, it was a rental and had to be back before xx:30pm for the next renter. These days a typical run is up to New York, Nova Scotia, or Florida. Gotta love owning a plane.

I still do coke runs, (although I've given up soda), but these are typically currency and proficiency flights with other pilots with practice approaches, air work, etc.

Edit: "coke run" is a bad choice of words. No I'm not flying drugs.

I did the 80 miles cheese burger For a while on rental plane, now trips are 1000plus on our plane.
Heading to the keys for 4 July week, and I'm going to be legal to punch holes in the clouds.
Priceless:goofy:

When I treated my last cfi to dinner, she was excited to hear that I had been venturing off on xc flights. How else can we learn if we don't get away from the training area?

Stay out of controlled airspace?

Don't venture too far??

Once you get out of the known local area, it's pretty much the same navigation techniques. Possible caveat is the dessert SW. Not not for pilotage out there.

I remember as a young, newly minted PP my typical flight was 55nm to another airport, grab a coke out of the machine, then head back. That was fine then, considering I was broke, it was a rental and had to be back before xx:30pm for the next renter. These days a typical run is up to New York, Nova Scotia, or Florida. Gotta love owning a plane.

I still do coke runs, (although I've given up soda), but these are typically currency and proficiency flights with other pilots with practice approaches, air work, etc.

Edit: "coke run" is a bad choice of words. No I'm not flying drugs.
I gave that up a while ago.

After I got my license I ventured out to other airports. I don't understand the pilots who take friends and do touch and go's or only go 10 miles away from the airport.

What's it matter:dunno:

I have a friend who makes it a point to berate me if I take off, hit one of the practice areas and do circles for an hour, and then come back and land. I guess if it makes him feel better.....

Sure it's fun to go to new airports and different destinations... even have a mission like breakfast or dinner, a fly in, or a day trip.. but it's not a requirement.

I was 62 years old at the time, he should have know us old far..s don't listen.:D

That's the truth. Back in the 1960's I had a student who owned a company in Ohio and spent a lot of time in Michigan. One day he announced he had been renting planes while in Michigan, flying to Canada and generally running amok. I counted up about seven FARs he violated and made him read them! At 67, I think I've seen the light.

dtuuri

Back