Chasing my PPL - Progress Thread...

Awesome man, congrats! Post the video when you've got it!:thumbsup:

Congratulations! PILOT!!!

So you got some PILOT in command time in that log book of yours! You'll remember and talk about those first solo To/L for the remainder of your time on this planet!

Congrats!!!

Nice! At least you didn't three-point it like some people.

Thanks everyone. The grin still hasn't worn off. My CFI emailed me last night and told me I needed to register with www.flightschedulepro.com so I can schedule the plane when it's available. One more milestone down I guess.

Now comes the X-Country stuff... :D

Congratulations! I solo'd in about the same lighting as you. Makes for an awesome memory!

Reading this really brings me back to my first lessons during flight school. We flew a Piper fleet. Tomahawks, Cherokee's, Archer's and the Seminole. I did my single engine training in the Piper, a good training aircraft, but I have to agree with most here, it is a lot more forgiving of human errors, especially during maneuver's like power on and power off stalls, Power off 180's and of course landings. Those little aircraft can take a beating and from some of the students there, they certainly got an intense 12 hour workout every day. The on-site mechanics worked all day beating those little planes into airworthiness submission. hehe.
I've had my single and multi engine commercial license now for about 5 years and I still remember to this day the fundamentals of almost all my training, it really does come in handy to never forget the little things. With a safety first attitude, it's one of the biggest reasons I'm still flying today. Some of the other gung-ho students weren't so lucky and haven't really flown much since.
One of the biggest things I remember, which is a conversation going on here, is my first landings. They really bothered me cause I could get up there and make that plane do just about anything I wanted it to. It felt great. Well everything except the landing, each time is seemed like it was something different that either caused me to come down hard, or float for what seemed miles on end 10 feet off the runway or just have to do admit to myself that it just wasn't happening and perform the good ol' go-around. My CFI was more often then not pleased with my landing but inside I always felt like something was missing. Looking back I realize my biggest problem was I too was fighting the plane all the way down. It actually wasn't until I started doing my solo flights that It had finally slapped me across the face that trim really was my best friend :) And indeed it certainly was. I think that and also knowing that when I looked over in that right seat, there was no one there, so it was up to me to get up and get down alive. It really helped me build my confidence more as a pilot flying solo. After more solo flights going all over California out of Fresno(FAT). From Pine Mountain Lake to Half Moon Bay and Lancaster too all over. My first solo flight was over to Hollister. I'll tell you there was nothing more awesome then flying through that little mountain pass and being lined straight up for the runway on a 5 nm final. Head wind was about 30 knots that day. Landing was silky smooth. Winds were blowing so hard that day though any plane that wasn't tied down was literally rolling on the ramp. lol.
Don't beat yourselves up over the landings, especially in the first 10 hours of your training. Just remember that trim really is your best friend and you should be able to fly with just two little fingers on the yoke. Don't let the plane fly you, fly the plane. Don't wait for a nod or suggestion from your CFI to do something, if you feel the plane needs more power add more power, if it needs more trim, add more trim. Take control. You don't have to be overly aggressive, just be in control and let the plane float down without having to give the poor yoke the old death grip. hehe. That is granted there aren't crazy winds whip lashing you back and fourth. hehe. It all comes with time and experience but it'll come.

Last edited:
Reading this really brings me back to my first lessons during flight school. We flew a Piper fleet. Tomahawks, Cherokee's, Archer's and the Seminole. I did my single engine training in the Piper, a good training aircraft, but I have to agree with most here, it is a lot more forgiving of human errors, especially during maneuver's like power on and power off stalls, Power off 180's and of course landings. Those little aircraft can take a beating and from some of the students there, they certainly got an intense 12 hour workout every day. The on-site mechanics worked all day beating those little planes into airworthiness submission. hehe.
I've had my single and multi engine commercial license now for about 5 years and I still remember to this day the fundamentals of almost all my training, it really does come in handy to never forget the little things. With a safety first attitude, it's one of the biggest reasons I'm still flying today. Some of the other gung-ho students weren't so lucky and haven't really flown much since.
One of the biggest things I remember, which is a conversation going on here, is my first landings. They really bothered me cause I could get up there and make that plane do just about anything I wanted it to. It felt great. Well everything except the landing, each time is seemed like it was something different that either caused me to come down hard, or float for what seemed miles on end 10 feet off the runway or just have to do admit to myself that it just wasn't happening and perform the good ol' go-around. My CFI was more often then not pleased with my landing but inside I always felt like something was missing. Looking back I realize my biggest problem was I too was fighting the plane all the way down. It actually wasn't until I started doing my solo flights that It had finally slapped me across the face that trim really was my best friend :) And indeed it certainly was. I think that and also knowing that when I looked over in that right seat, there was no one there, so it was up to me to get up and get down alive. It really helped me build my confidence more as a pilot flying solo. After more solo flights going all over California out of Fresno(FAT). From Pine Mountain Lake to Half Moon Bay and Lancaster too all over. My first solo flight was over to Hollister. I'll tell you there was nothing more awesome then flying through that little mountain pass and being lined straight up for the runway on a 5 nm final. Head wind was about 30 knots that day. Landing was silky smooth. Winds were blowing so hard that day though any plane that wasn't tied down was literally rolling on the ramp. lol.
Don't beat yourselves up over the landings, especially in the first 10 hours of your training. Just remember that trim really is your best friend and you should be able to fly with just two little fingers on the yoke. Don't let the plane fly you, fly the plane. Don't wait for a nod or suggestion from your CFI to do something, if you feel the plane needs more power add more power, if it needs more trim, add more trim. Take control. You don't have to be overly aggressive, just be in control and let the plane float down without having to give the poor yoke the old death grip. hehe. That is granted there aren't crazy winds whip lashing you back and fourth. hehe. It all comes with time and experience but it'll come.

Thanks Kevin! I'm honored that your first post was informative, inspirational, and in response to my personal thread. Welcome to PoA!

Congrats Hobo!:D

Once you start flying the XC stuff, it moves along quickly. Stay with it, keep studying, knock out that written and keep us posted.:)

Weather conditions were IMC last night, so we did two hours of ground school instead. Plotted a course, identified landmarks every 10-15 miles, did the heading, fuel, and weight/balance calculations. Interesting stuff, and very new to me. Now to go out and fly the course to see if I can hold my headings while I'm doing all the "other stuff" too...

Went up again last night, 10/3. CFI had me watch the various weather sources all day, chart a course, correct for wind and magnetic, etc. Actual first flight using my kneeboard, writing everything down myself rather than the cfi doing it, calling for an actual weather briefing, identifying landmarks on the chart. yada yada yada. Stuff most of you have been doing forever, but very new to me. Then did some right-hand pattern work at a class D airport where the controller was a little light on personality. LOL

1.4 hours on the Hobbs. Great flight experience, and realizing how busy you get in the cockpit on short flights. Flying the plane, reading the chart, listening and writing, flying the plane, talking on the radio, checking my airspeed and heading, planning descent and landing, flying the plane...

My CFI tells me at the end of the night, "remember, now that you've soloed you can take the plane up to practice any time. Just make sure the weather permits, schedule the plane and give me a call beforehand."

Have I mentioned that I'm having fun?!?

Went up again last night, 10/3.

Were you up for that outrageous sunset? My wife actually told me she wished we were in the air for that one. First time I've heard her say that.

Then did some right-hand pattern work at a class D airport where the controller was a little light on personality. LOL

We call her the black cloud. I'm assuming that's who you meant.

Western PA. Training out of Jimmy Steward (KIDI) and doing a lot of flights to Johnstown (KJST) and Latrobe (KLBE)...

Very cool, my home is SEG but I spent the past two years out at BVI...I know your area well! If you're looking for a good flight and a burger, head up to DUJ! :yes:

Were you up for that outrageous sunset? My wife actually told me she wished we were in the air for that one. First time I've heard her say that.

We call her the black cloud. I'm assuming that's who you meant.

Yep, sunset was pretty cool Scott but I felt a little too "busy" to really enjoy it. I'm sure the "Black Cloud" is one and the same. After a touch-and-go I requested the option once I was at pattern altitude. Her response was "XXG, you just did a touch and go..." My CFI just laughed and told me that we did nothing wrong on the radio call, it was just her demeanor... LOL

Went up again last night, 10/3. CFI had me watch the various weather sources all day, chart a course, correct for wind and magnetic, etc. Actual first flight using my kneeboard, writing everything down myself rather than the cfi doing it, calling for an actual weather briefing, identifying landmarks on the chart. yada yada yada. Stuff most of you have been doing forever, but very new to me.
I felt the same way just 15-20 hours ago, but now it all seems like second nature. It will all click at some point in the future and you won't have to think so much about everything - you just start doing them.

Have I mentioned that I'm having fun?!?
Great, isn't it?? :D

Thanks Kimberly! Enjoying everything but the checking acct deductions. :lol:

They only get worse later when you realize you can fly to some REALLY cool places.... then you get there and the weather sucks..... then you go to your alternate airport ..... then the weather gets better and you fly back and check into your hotel.... then you go home...... and spend way more than you had imagined per your flight plan.

Argh.

They only get worse later when you realize you can fly to some REALLY cool places.... then you get there and the weather sucks..... then you go to your alternate airport ..... then the weather gets better and you fly back and check into your hotel.... then you go home...... and spend way more than you had imagined per your flight plan.

Argh.

Or you need 14.4 more hours to meet the 25 hours complex time for insurance requirements to take the complex plane in your club so you plan a 6+ hour round trip flight with your instructor to buy him a lobster lunch in Nantucket. (Tomorrow, I can't wait!)

CFI txts me tonight and says the weather looks marginal on Wed for our flight, but we could go up on Tues in the 172 if I wanted since the Cherokee is booked. Absolutely! I've been wanting to try out different types of planes, so this should be cool...

Hobo, this is my first post on here, but I wanted to say thank you for chronicling your journey! Reading through this thread already gave me a lot of good info.

I myself have always dreamt of taking up flying and after toying around the circumference of it all (RC flying, skydiving) I have finally started working towards kicking off my flight training.

Ironically, I am from your parts! I live out towards eastern Pittsburgh and am looking at Rocks Airport or Latrobe (judging from your training Archer it looks like you're at A.Palmer :)). I am still in the very beginning of my journey; doing research, going out to see fields, meeting with CFIs, but I am hoping to get started fairly soon.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and a THANK YOU for this thread! Hope to keep reading about your progress as I embark on mine. Stay well sir.

Hobo, this is my first post on here, but I wanted to say thank you for chronicling your journey! Reading through this thread already gave me a lot of good info.

I myself have always dreamt of taking up flying and after toying around the circumference of it all (RC flying, skydiving) I have finally started working towards kicking off my flight training.

Ironically, I am from your parts! I live out towards eastern Pittsburgh and am looking at Rocks Airport or Latrobe (judging from your training Archer it looks like you're at A.Palmer :)). I am still in the very beginning of my journey; doing research, going out to see fields, meeting with CFIs, but I am hoping to get started fairly soon.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and a THANK YOU for this thread! Hope to keep reading about your progress as I embark on mine. Stay well sir.

Best of luck to you Kross! My home airport is Jimmy Steward (KIDI), but fly to Latrobe (KLBE) and Johnstown (KJST) frequently. Both airports are class Delta, so it provides some training with the ATC.

Last Thursday was a pretty decent day, and I kept an eye on the weather all morning. Decided to reserve the Cherokee at lunch to practice in the pattern. Winds were out of 290 at 10 and I usually use runway 28, so it seemed perfect. This was my first time ever reserving the plane, going to the airport and doing everything by myself, and taking her up and back down with absolutely no one around but the fuel guy.

The Pros: LOVED the feeling of being able to go to the airport myself and fly. Called for fuel during preflight, double-checked everything, etc. To me, this was the next "big step" after my solo.

The Cons:
1.) While winds all morning on the METARS maxed out at 10 (which is my limit when flying solo), a stronger gust at takeoff gave me quite a bump, shot me to the left and sounded the stall warning. Pushed the nose down, got her back in Vx with no issues but it sure got the adreneline going. Also reminded me that I was up there alone so I had better be on my 'A' game.

2.) At pattern altitude it was bumpy, and even though the METARS showed 10 kts it certainly SEEMED stronger. Maybe it was just the takeoff that had me spooked. Flew around the pattern a couple of times.

3.) Again, landing into the 10 kt headwind seemed like it should be a no brainer, but I was getting bumped all over on final. Made a good landing with the stall horn going off but decided to stay on the ground. I thought about the mid-day thermals and decided THAT was probably what was bouncing me around rather than the 10 kt winds.

So, my first flight completely alone was a little somber. Only .3 on the Hobbs. I'm second-guessing coming down as I would have built more confidence had I stayed up there and practiced more pattern work. I guess in the end I made a decision to play the safe side and practice again when it was more calm for me. A lesson on flying to personal limits vs. legal or imposed limits maybe.

Stupid Thermals... :wink2:

Last Thursday was a pretty decent day, and I kept an eye on the weather all morning. Decided to reserve the Cherokee at lunch to practice in the pattern. Winds were out of 290 at 10 and I usually use runway 28, so it seemed perfect. This was my first time ever reserving the plane, going to the airport and doing everything by myself, and taking her up and back down with absolutely no one around but the fuel guy.

The Pros: LOVED the feeling of being able to go to the airport myself and fly. Called for fuel during preflight, double-checked everything, etc. To me, this was the next "big step" after my solo.

The Cons:
1.) While winds all morning on the METARS maxed out at 10 (which is my limit when flying solo), a stronger gust at takeoff gave me quite a bump, shot me to the left and sounded the stall warning. Pushed the nose down, got her back in Vx with no issues but it sure got the adreneline going. Also reminded me that I was up there alone so I had better be on my 'A' game.

2.) At pattern altitude it was bumpy, and even though the METARS showed 10 kts it certainly SEEMED stronger. Maybe it was just the takeoff that had me spooked. Flew around the pattern a couple of times.

3.) Again, landing into the 10 kt headwind seemed like it should be a no brainer, but I was getting bumped all over on final. Made a good landing with the stall horn going off but decided to stay on the ground. I thought about the mid-day thermals and decided THAT was probably what was bouncing me around rather than the 10 kt winds.

So, my first flight completely alone was a little somber. Only .3 on the Hobbs. I'm second-guessing coming down as I would have built more confidence had I stayed up there and practiced more pattern work. I guess in the end I made a decision to play the safe side and practice again when it was more calm for me. A lesson on flying to personal limits vs. legal or imposed limits maybe.

I believe you made the right call to stay on the ground and call it a day.
It's going to take some time before you feel more comfortable on your own in the air.
Definitely talk to the instructor about the flight. Definitely do not the stall warning going off on on T/O. In the day time when it is warm outside, it can get bumpy with the thermals. It is just part of the flying, and will take some getting used to. On the bright note, it's cooling off. The air will be a lot smoother. As well, as having better performance out of the plane.

Keep at it!

The Cons:

I was up last thursday afternoon at LBE. Did three loops and quit. I had 220@10 (rw 23) and was getting tossed all over the place. Toughest non x-wind landing day i've seen in awhile. Good call on cutting it short. It was really bumpy and unpredictable. I watched a handful of planes come in after i landed and they were all over the place too.

Very cool, my home is SEG but I spent the past two years out at BVI...I know your area well! If you're looking for a good flight and a burger, head up to DUJ! :yes:

SEG has this amazing FBO that treats me like royalty. Any good spots for lunch? I flew in 2 times from KXLL and want to come back in a weekend or 2.

Just found an optometrist about an hour away that can give me the Farnsworth Lantern test, which is an FAA-approved acceptable substitute for the "normal" color tests that I always fail. Very cool! If I can't pass the substitute tests, then I'll accept the fact that I can't fly safely at night due to color deficiencies. However, if I CAN detect the necessary colors and fly safely at night then I want that !@#@! restriction removed... :D

I wonder what restrictions the girl with no arms has on her PPL?

At pattern altitude it was bumpy, and even though the METARS showed 10 kts it certainly SEEMED stronger. Maybe it was just the takeoff that had me spooked. Flew around the pattern a couple of times.

* snip *

Yup, the bumping around doesn't really have to do with the crosswind at all. We sometimes have 10 knot crosswinds with smooth air up at pattern altitude, but then coming down final, where the stuff on the ground (trees, structures, etc.) starts playing with the wind, it gets super bumpy.

Flew again last night. Cherokee was checked out, so my CFI and I went up in the 172. Definitely handled differently! Always seemed to want some right rudder and left aileron. Always wanted to drop a wing during stalls, whether they be power-on or power off. Also had to get used to the high wing obstructing vision of the runway on base, etc. Guess I'm just used to the 181 that I started my training in but, like my Harleys, I'm not real picky. As long as some motorcycle has me on two wheels on a backroad or some plane has me in the air I'll probably have a smile on my face.

1.7 hours on the Hobbs in the 172 after some stall/practice work and then four landings at a class Delta nearby (KLBE). Even had ATC hit me with the light from the tower and I was able to tell red from green from white. Cool! :D

The Cons:

This sounds EXACTLY like one of my first solo days. I got up in the pattern (mine had no wind limits) and by the time I came to land the AWOS was saying bad things like gusts and crosswinds. I got scared, but landed anyway, looked over and saw MY INSTRUCTOR in another plane on another lesson with another student holding short and watching me land. I met up with him later, after I put away the plane because I was too afraid to go around a second pattern (untowered airport). I said "would you have let me go up in that" and he said "probably not". However, it must not have been so bad since he watched the whole thing.

Very Awesome, looks like your a whole new level from beginning to end its like such difference I just started.. Only had two flights so far.. Going on 3 tomorrow and hopefully 4th on Tuesday..
How many hours are you at now?

Very Awesome, looks like your a whole new level from beginning to end its like such difference I just started.. Only had two flights so far.. Going on 3 tomorrow and hopefully 4th on Tuesday..
How many hours are you at now?

Good luck to you! I'm only at 12.8 hours, but have really enjoyed the experience so far...

Back