Chasing my PPL - Progress Thread...

Well, OK. That means you have the judgment of an overripe turnip, and shouldn't be giving advice for that reason. That's what you took offense at, right? fiveoboy01 had it right.

You're a troll because I really don't buy that you're THAT stupid. So, go home, Pete.

I understand that you are sexually frustrated and repressed. Your anger shows in your frequent outbursts in multiple threads. You need to get laid. Not necessarily in a plane, but some sex would do you good (and not with Palmela Handerson okay?)

Wrong thread for this flipping argument, create your own. If you have any class you'll copy and paste your ****ing match to it and delete your posts from this thread.

Henning, you are absolutely right. Hobo, I apologize for myself and MAKG1 for being classless fools. Please carry on.

No worries about the tangent guys...these things happen on forums. Back on topic of logging my progress, .8 hours this morning of solo practice. Aircraft performance was great with temps in the 30s. I was at pattern altitude before I even turned crosswind. Steep turns went good and within PTS specs. 5 landings, one of which had a gust at the threshold and was plain lousy and off-center with a small hop. Oh well, that's why we practice In crosswinds I guess. Short-fields would have been better with 3 stages of flaps, but with the xwinds I was only using two.

Weather permitting I'll go up again in a day or three.

I don't know exactly how many landings I have total now but I still get the "off center and lousy" landing too. On my checkride, my short field landing into a 2,100 ft grass strip left a lot to be desired IMO, and I vocalized that. The DPE said "it wasn't that bad.. a real bad landing will put you on the 6-o'clock news and that is what you want to avoid"....

I'll spend the rest of my life getting my landings right. Every now and then the blind squirrel finds a nut and I grease one good.

Good to hear of your progress. I'm looking forward to reading your PTS write-up after you finish.

Finding a good CFI that you enjoy training with and who is effective is very important. After 2 bad instructors, I finished my PPL with an awesome CFI who was friendly and loves to teach. I also finished in a Piper which IMHO is more fun to fly than the Cessna.

Hi, Wade.

Thanks for posting your progress. It's not been so long since I got my license and I hope I never stop learning. I really like your attitude about enjoying the process of learning. I heard once that pilots are very "mission focused" and I think we can get so focused on the mission that we forget to enjoy the ride. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Tiffany

Hi, Wade.

Thanks for posting your progress. It's not been so long since I got my license and I hope I never stop learning. I really like your attitude about enjoying the process of learning. I heard once that pilots are very "mission focused" and I think we can get so focused on the mission that we forget to enjoy the ride. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Tiffany

Thanks Tiffany! I've been plenty frustrated at times, and some of my posts reflect that, but in the end not many people in this world get to go even as far as I currently have in aviation. I consider myself very blessed to have a great friend/CFI who is also a very good, positive pilot and teacher. He finds ways to interject learning even when i don't think he's teaching.

And, today at 4:00, we take a break from all the PTS stuff to fly the 1938 Piper Cub that has been being restored for the past year or two. Great weather for a first flight in December... :D

Winter is starting to actually show some sunny skies here in PA and the winds have allowed for some more flying in the past couple of months. Steep turns last night were a little iffy as I let my altitude and/or speed get away from me on occasion. Stalls were good, albeit a bit slow as I thought them through. Soft-field takeoffs weren't bad either for as little practice as I've had, and I ended the night by nailing an engine-out landing over the airport. I even turned it into a short-field and stopped before the large white stripe.

As an aside, I was able to log my first taildragger hour in the '38 Cub that I helped (a little) rebuild. Definitely a different flying experience than the PA-28-181...

It is tough love.

I think from reading through his posts that he will be an excellent pilot. Rather than everyone encouraging him to go slowly, we should instead be encouraging him to complete this as soon as possible. Because I myself took a year to get my PPL and it was slow going at first, then I buckled down and got it done and in my case I wish someone had come along and kicked ME in the butt earlier on. It would have saved me some money.

There is a non aviation discussion forum where I participate in and observe brutal battles. I would never involve myself in such activity on this forum, particularly not on the "pilot training" forum. Flying an airplane and learning to fly an airplane is serious, possibly life threatening business.

There are some kind souls on this forum that do their best to help fledgling pilots with about any aspect of flight training that one can imagine. I know, because a few years ago many of them tirelessly and thanklessly helped me more than they will ever know while I was trying to get the hang of tail dragging and making my way to the checkride.

For anyone coming here just for a place to have an argument, I would kindly request that they take that part of their posting to any number of other discussion forums where the subject being discussed is not so life and death serious.

Thanks

Winter is starting to actually show some sunny skies here in PA and the winds have allowed for some more flying in the past couple of months. Steep turns last night were a little iffy as I let my altitude and/or speed get away from me on occasion. Stalls were good, albeit a bit slow as I thought them through. Soft-field takeoffs weren't bad either for as little practice as I've had, and I ended the night by nailing an engine-out landing over the airport. I even turned it into a short-field and stopped before the large white stripe.

As an aside, I was able to log my first taildragger hour in the '38 Cub that I helped (a little) rebuild. Definitely a different flying experience than the PA-28-181...

Sounds great Wade! Sounds like you're closing in on the checkride. Glad you got a little tailwheel time. Sounds like a kick in the pants.

Keep up the good work!

Sounds great Wade! Sounds like you're closing in on the checkride. Glad you got a little tailwheel time. Sounds like a kick in the pants.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement doc. Went up tonight and did 7 short-field landings. The hospital where I work is doing some construction so I decided to enjoy myself and take some pics from above... ( and, yep, I was at a legal height when doing so. Lol! )

Well, had a mock checkride scheduled with another instructor at the school today. Although I'm still not consistently hitting all the PTS's ALL the time, I thought he could give me some fresh eyes on what to concentrate on. Well, runways are 11 and 29, and winds a while ago were 18 gusting well into the 20s from 240 and variable. Well above my personal limits, so we rescheduled for Sunday. Too bad too, as the sun and warmth has finally started to hit PA...

Don't stress too much on everytime nailing within PTs u can't be perfect just enough to pass lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo,

How are you doing on your PPL? Great thread. I'm 6.4 hours in and about to solo in the next couple flights. Looking forward to your next update.

Hobo,

How are you doing on your PPL? Great thread. I'm 6.4 hours in and about to solo in the next couple flights. Looking forward to your next update.

NH - I haven't had much time to fly and, when I do, the weather here in PA doesn't cooperate much. Going up again tonight and then I'd like to push to practice a couple of times a week and schedule my exam near the beginning of June. Had a second CFI go up with me for a stage check and he basically said that other than some of my transitions being a little awkward I just needed to sharpen up a couple of my maneuvers and I was read for the checkride. I think my CFI would have preferred that I make this push last fall, but my schedule just didn't work out.

Kudos on your training! Plenty of knowledgeable and professional resources on this board (and a few others as well, lol). Don't be afraid to ask questions, use the search functionality, and read through the threads. You'll be solo'ing in no time!

Best of luck!

Well, I'm one of those that had to stretch it out quite a bit (somewhere around 19-20 months now) for a lot of reasons, but I'm finally shooting for a June 14th checkride. Just shy of 50 hours now, but hope to make that jump a little in the next three weeks of pre-checkride training and cramming. Much more comfortable with the PTS standards, transitioning to/from slow flight, stalls, steep turns, etc.

Lots of support and info here, which has been great. Hope to be saying next month that I've used my ticket to go somewhere and have started work towards my IFR cert. My friend/cfi tells me that my next addiction will be going in and out of the clouds.

Thanks everyone...

Well, one step closer today. IACRA is ready to be submitted. CFI agrees with the totals but he and I will fly 2-3 more times before the checkride so I'll update the IACRA totals accordingly before submission. As of today:

51.6 Hours, 32.6 Dual, 19 PIC, 11 XC, 4.6 Night, 3 Instrument, 1.1 Tailwheel (just for fun), 206 landings, 1 instrument approach.

The plan always seems to change. Weather and availability has been terrible the past two weeks, and my CFI and I have yet to get our required pre-checkride time in because of it. We DID, however, get 1.4 hours and a mock checkride in last night before the storms rolled in. I need to remember to fly while on the ground, as I didn't turn into the wind or dive away from the wind while taxiing. Also, my first diversion practice was difficult and probably would have went much longer had I not noticed a VOR on the ground. I was having trouble finding on the sectional the bodies of water, roads, and power lines that I saw on the ground. My power-off stalls seemed to nose dive much more than my last few practice sessions and I gained too much speed as i was recovering. Finally, while I enjoyed the unusual attitudes under the foggles I started feeling sick and had to open the little side window on the Cherokee and funnel some air in. That's happened a couple of times now and not sure if it's the heat, bumps, unusual attitudes, anxiety, or all of the above.

As an aside with the approaching storm, we saw it rolling in from the southwest and heard someone talking to ATC saying something like they were around a "huge cell" and needed to get out of there. ATC responded back with something like "I see what you're seeing. It's not that big but looks to be about 8 miles wide." I don't recall the verbatim response from the aircraft but it was something along the lines of "I don't care whether you think it's that big or not, I don't want to be around it and I need to get down."

After we landed the storm was getting closer, and an aircraft at our non-controlled airport made a call for a downwind 29 and then abruptly changed it to a right base for 11 (We are left traffic, but no one was in the vacinity and I'm betting he just wanted to get on the ground).

Yeah Wade, that was quite a little show Mother Nature put on around dinner time. It came in hard and fast. That would not have been fun to get caught in that.

Just curious, where were you diverting to and what VOR did you pick up?

Did the DPE give you the x-c airport to plan for? I was lucky. Mine gave me KHLG which I had been to a bunch. And the diversion airport was very familiar too.

Just a friendly reminder. The examiner is not looking for perfection, they're looking for safe. Good luck!!

Yeah Wade, that was quite a little show Mother Nature put on around dinner time. It came in hard and fast. That would not have been fun to get caught in that.

Just curious, where were you diverting to and what VOR did you pick up?

Did the DPE give you the x-c airport to plan for? I was lucky. Mine gave me KHLG which I had been to a bunch. And the diversion airport was very familiar too.

Just a friendly reminder. The examiner is not looking for perfection, they're looking for safe. Good luck!!

It was definitely a fast mover Scott. My first experience with my CFI saying "okay, that's enough, power-off to land, let's get her on the ground." LOL. As for your question, it was a pseudo-mock checkride so no x-c plan. He had me depart IDI to a heading of 113, called out the "thunderstorm ahead, whattaya do?", and I identified Ebensburgh airport and made my diversion turn. Did the distance thing with my thumb, guestimated about 8 minutes to arrival, but had trouble finding the things I saw on the ground on the sectional until I flew right over the Revlock VOR. Had I not seen that I would have likely flew until I hit the Blue Knob area or started climbing and circling. Ugh. Good practice though...

Well, weather/schedule/cfi/plane schedule/finances all aligned and I got another practice session in last night. I definitely proved the fact that ANYTHING can go wrong at any time, even the things with which we are most comfortable. Flight following and radio work, no problem. Stalls, no problem. Steep turns, no problem. Unusual attitudes, no problem. Back to the home base for some pattern work...OUCH! Started to enter the 45 for 29er and found myself 500 feet above pattern altitude...WTH! Talk about a brain fart forgetting my descent. So what do I do rather than a 360? I decide to show my CFI a nice slip to get down to attitude. Nice slip, wrong idea. His comment..."That pattern entry was definitely points for the opposing team, you know that right??" Ugh. Then I go on to do three ugly short-field landings and let a wind from 230 extend my base.

At just north of 50 hours I know this stuff much better than I flew it last night. Proved to myself (again) that not flying for 3-4 weeks definitely causes some "rust" for me. CFI isn't concerned, and wants me to fly twice this week and twice next week and then we'll schedule the checkride. Praying the weather allows for some steady brush-up practice...

Flew three days in a row (5th, 6th, 7th) as I continue to prep for the checkride. Went from a day where there wasn't much to brag about and not much fun due to 10am-noon thermals knocking me around on short final (Sat), to a very good (and calm) Sunday night where I even stretched my comfort limits a little with increasingly-intense rain and closing haze (visibility was still 8 and ceilings were VFR), to a Monday morning flight with my CFI that had winds at 11 gusting to 15 - much of it crosswind. Felt like I was on a roller coaster and would have never been out in that alone yet. Per my CFI though, "it helped me add another spoonful into the bowl of experience from which I fly." His comment was that he wouldn't normally be up in those winds just beating the pattern either - but now at least I can have the confidence that I can do it if I ever get stuck somewhere and need to put her on the ground.

Went up for another hour of practice last night, and it's amazing how things can change in a day or two. Last flight was bumpy/windy with ugly crosswinds and no fun whatsoever. Left dejected and frustrated. Last night was calm, quiet, and I was able to do 8 soft-field takeoffs and 8 short-field landings comfortably and consistently. Didn't want to come down but legal sunset was approaching. Left with a huge smile on my face and a sense that I improved my skills a little.

I need to remind myself that pursuing this aviation hobby is definitely a rollercoaster ride. Maybe then I won't beat myself up so much on the "bad" days...

Went up for another hour of practice last night, and it's amazing how things can change in a day or two. Last flight was bumpy/windy with ugly crosswinds and no fun whatsoever. Left dejected and frustrated. Last night was calm, quiet, and I was able to do 8 soft-field takeoffs and 8 short-field landings comfortably and consistently. Didn't want to come down but legal sunset was approaching. Left with a huge smile on my face and a sense that I improved my skills a little.

I need to remind myself that pursuing this aviation hobby is definitely a rollercoaster ride. Maybe then I won't beat myself up so much on the "bad" days...

this was solo?

I can't wait to read the checkride story on this one.
You're so close!

Well, as of today I can close out this thread. Hopefully my son, and potentially others, can get something out of me documenting some of the aches, pains, and thrills of getting here. My checkride was yesterday, 7/20/14, and I passed. So as to not muck up this thread with more entries the checkride write-up is here:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73063&highlight=hobobiker

Thanks everyone for the help, advice, and confidence building along the way. I hope to take a break for a little bit and fly "just because", then I plan on getting left seat with my CFI again to begin chasing my instrument rating...

Back