Chasing my PPL - Progress Thread...

Do you know who you'll be using for your checkride?

I got to be the guinea pig on mine. I was the first student to use the guy at our school.

I haven't asked Scott. I DO know that I'll be flying down to Rock for my checkride, but everything else must be "secret" right now. :dunno:

A lot of our guys go to Rock for theres. Not sure who they use.

My guy was a Jetblue pilot from Washington Co. area that came up to Latrobe for mine.

Went out last night with my CFI and worked on some things for the checkride that I haven't practiced in a long time because of my XCs, night flight, instrument, etc. Stalls, steep turns, slow flight, short/soft field stuff, and we had a lot of fun with power-offs at the numbers, doing a turn into a power-off short-field landing. Had to nail a few forward slips with full right rudder to get her down in time. I still tend to float it a little long on my short-field landing rather than just putting her down and getting on the brakes. I'm just now improving my "regular" landings to be smoother, so I guess telling myself that there is a theoretical short runway down there that I have to hit so just "get her down" is conflicting a bit. Starting my flare low and over the grass before the threshold might still be a little daunting at the subliminal level. :redface:

I'll get there, and we're going back up tonight to practice the same things again. Admittedly, I was sweating to the point that my sunglasses fogged and my stomach was slightly queasy for an hour or two after flying. Multiple steep turns and stalls one after another can be more "work" than "fun", but it's time well spent in the aircraft.

If steep turns are 'work' you aren't trimming correctly.

My CFI quoted almost the same line. I had her trimmed up for 90kts but probably should have re-trimmed during the maneuver when I added power, which I did not. We're going up tonight to practice it all again. For me, last night was my first attempt at doing them myself so I'm hoping to nail it a little better the second time around...

My CFI quoted almost the same line. I had her trimmed up for 90kts but probably should have re-trimmed during the maneuver when I added power, which I did not. We're going up tonight to practice it all again. For me, last night was my first attempt at doing them myself so I'm hoping to nail it a little better the second time around...

Turn, push (throttle to full), pull (yoke), flick flick (2 flicks nose up of the trim wheel) to enter, Turn, push (yoke) pull (throttle to cruise power, best to go by sound) flick flick (nose down)to recover then fine tune trim as speed increases.

Went up again last night for 1.2 on the hobbs. Steep turns were easier (thanks Henning for the trim advice). Power-off stalls are much better and I'm "smoother" at getting the plane down to a slow-flight, trimmed-up condition before starting. Power-on stalls have never been an issue for me. Practiced a lot on soft-field takeoffs and landings, which are probably the two things of which I've done the least. More power-off to a short-field landing as well, which are a little more "fun" for me compared to other maneuvers.

Will go up on my own to practice all these things a few more times, and in the meantime make sure I study my FARs, chart, and POH. Not sure I want to go into my checkride right at 40 hours. Something in the back of my head tells me to practice until somewhere in the mid 40s. I know it's just a number, but I'm more concerned with being confident and safe than in taking the least amount of time possible. I still make small newbie mistakes in radio calls, sometimes my airspeed drops to Vx when I should be at Vy, soft-field landings are often too hard, short-field landings aren't short enough because I'm trying to be smooth, etc. Maybe just getting up and flying a few times on my own will tighten some of these things up.

Having a great time learning, and glad to be at a point where I'm just practicing and studying for the checkride. Thanks for the input/advice everyone.

Went up last night in some winds that were 10 gusting 17. Wanted to practice crosswind landings and then work on tuning up the checkride stuff (shorts, softs, power-out spot landings, etc.). Also did a short XC to a new airport where I'll be flying for my checkride so my CFI could endorse me to solo there.

In a nutshell, it was one of those painful, frustrating student flights. The XC went fine with no issues. My slips in the Xwind were pretty good as well. My landings, however, all seemed to be high, floating, and even had one stall out somewhat high over the runway with a very "firm" landing. I'm a Type A personality and yet I even forgot to do my GUMPSS check not once, but TWICE. I realize that these are all somewhat normal in 30+ hour students but I really thought I was better than my performance last night showed. Anyway, will get back in the bird on the next weather-permitting day and pound out some pattern work and try to "reboot" myself. I hate the "two steps back" part of the "three steps forward" equation...

Up again last night. Steep turns were better, but I still didn't nail them. One soft-field takeoff was very good, another bounced around in ground effect a little before I stabilized and gained speed. Totally botched a soft-field landing by coming in unstabilized, high, hot, etc. Did good on stalls and absolutely nailed an engine-out landing over the airfield (Trim, Trim, Trim). I continue to pull up a but much as the plane starts to settle, to the point of my CFI thinking the trainer needs a little lubricant where the yoke tube fits around the dash entry...It's a little "grabby", but I still think it's me hamfisting the thing even with only three fingers.

I'm sitting at around 38 total hours, and while I've had all my requirements met for a while now I have no intention of wanting/needing to schedule my checkride right at 40. I'll continue to practice until I'm comfortable and it's more fun than work...

It'll click soon. I can see the progression in your words.

And that grabby yoke? Just don't let it. Put it right where you want it. Airplanes have grabby yokes, broken crap, plastic covers binding on the tube, all sorts of stupid crap. Don't let those things mess with you. You mess with them. :)

It'll click soon. I can see the progression in your words.

And that grabby yoke? Just don't let it. Put it right where you want it. Airplanes have grabby yokes, broken crap, plastic covers binding on the tube, all sorts of stupid crap. Don't let those things mess with you. You mess with them. :)

Thanks Nate. Point taken...

Up again last night. Steep turns were better, but I still didn't nail them. One soft-field takeoff was very good, another bounced around in ground effect a little before I stabilized and gained speed. Totally botched a soft-field landing by coming in unstabilized, high, hot, etc. Did good on stalls and absolutely nailed an engine-out landing over the airfield (Trim, Trim, Trim). I continue to pull up a but much as the plane starts to settle, to the point of my CFI thinking the trainer needs a little lubricant where the yoke tube fits around the dash entry...It's a little "grabby", but I still think it's me hamfisting the thing even with only three fingers.

I'm sitting at around 38 total hours, and while I've had all my requirements met for a while now I have no intention of wanting/needing to schedule my checkride right at 40. I'll continue to practice until I'm comfortable and it's more fun than work...

Are you trimming for those steep turns as well? Roll in and give two flicks nose up and shove the throttle in. Roll out, reduce throttle and take two flicks out to recover.

Are you trimming for those steep turns as well? Roll in and give two flicks nose up and shove the throttle in. Roll out, reduce throttle and take two flicks out to recover.

I am Henning, and it was your advice that helped me. Thanks again!

Oh, as for grabby yoke, bring a beeswax candle (or a wax disc from a sewing shop) with you next time, pull the yokes all the way out and give the shafts a quick rub down.

Oh, as for grabby yoke, bring a beeswax candle (or a wax disc from a sewing shop) with you next time, pull the yokes all the way out and give the shafts a quick rub down.

There's a rental I fly pretty rarely that has a grabby yoke. I might have to try that...or I could mention it to them and they could fix it. Maybe.

Up to practice alone again last night, but work added more to the 'S' in the IMSAFE checklist than I prefer. After five pretty nice landings, two of which were successful short-fields, the bumps were getting more annoying and the throttle seemed to be sticking in places it's never stuck before so I called it a night.

When I rolled back to the hanger I noticed a group of guys had shown up with a Maserati asking to take some pics with the planes from the hanger. I shot a few for the forum before I pushed the plane back in:

Went up last night in some winds that were 10 gusting 17. Wanted to practice crosswind landings and then work on tuning up the checkride stuff (shorts, softs, power-out spot landings, etc.). Also did a short XC to a new airport where I'll be flying for my checkride so my CFI could endorse me to solo there.

In a nutshell, it was one of those painful, frustrating student flights. The XC went fine with no issues. My slips in the Xwind were pretty good as well. My landings, however, all seemed to be high, floating, and even had one stall out somewhat high over the runway with a very "firm" landing. I'm a Type A personality and yet I even forgot to do my GUMPSS check not once, but TWICE. I realize that these are all somewhat normal in 30+ hour students but I really thought I was better than my performance last night showed. Anyway, will get back in the bird on the next weather-permitting day and pound out some pattern work and try to "reboot" myself. I hate the "two steps back" part of the "three steps forward" equation...

I am by no means an expert, but it took a while for things to click. By the time I got my PPL (60ish hrs), I could land the plane safely and consistently but not great. I would say my landings only recently got to the point where I feel comfortable with them (250+ hrs). I believe the instrument training had a lot to do with that (2nd CFI and different feedback than the training itself).

Up tonight in direct xwinds gusting to 19. Nervous, but my CFI was smiling ear to ear. Needless to say, lots of practice with slips to land, keeping my wing low, landing on the upwind wheel first, widening my downwind to account for strong tailwinds on base and plenty of wind shear down near the threshold to keep the adrenaline flowing. Great practice!

39.2 hours in the logbook after tonight's flight...

Last edited:
You don't particularly have to widen the pattern, you can actuall shorten the downwind by using a steeper turn while keeping the nose further down.

You don't particularly have to widen the pattern, you can actuall shorten the downwind by using a steeper turn while keeping the nose further down.

I'll give that a shot at the next opportunity Henning. Sounds almost like the "engine out to land" we've practiced numerous times...

Up again last Friday for 1.3 on the Hobbs. Steep turns were better, soft-field takeoff was better. Stalls and slow flight I'm much more comfortable with and "smoothing out" my transitions from cruising speed to slow flight. Just over 40 hours after that flight, but I'm thinking I'll continue to practice until I'm comfortable doing everything myself, ad nauseum, and my CFI gives me an 'A' on all maneuvers before I schedule my checkride. Heck, that might mean between 50-60 hours and taking my test in the Spring, but that's okay. I figure I'm still flying while I'm doing all that practice, and flying was why I got into this in the first place. :goofy:

Ok, time to defecate or get off the pot.

You're taking too long, and it sounds like you generally know what you're doing but take off too much time between sessions. You need to decide if you want this or not. You're just wasting money with this slow approach you're taking. Get the checkride out of the way, and get to what you REALLY want to be doing which is flying for fun.

You're taking too long, and it sounds like you generally know what you're doing but take off too much time between sessions. You need to decide if you want this or not. You're just wasting money with this slow approach you're taking. Get the checkride out of the way, and get to what you REALLY want to be doing which is flying for fun.

With all due respect:

Do I want it? Yep
Do I have the money to fly 2-3 times per week? Nope
Is the plane always available when I am? Nope
Does the PA weather always cooperate? Nope
Am I consistently hitting all the maneuvers to PTS standards? Nope

As a divorced dad, I drive 1000 miles every other week from PA to IN to have my kids for the weekend. Does that eat into my flying time and budget, absolutely. Is it worth it to be able to see my kids every other weekend?? ABSOLUTELY!

Soooo....I'll continue to practice/fly at a pace that works for me and I'll get there when I get there...

HOBOBIKER, you don't have to explain to anybody the circumstances that govern your pace. Everyone has their own, what is important is you are doing something you love and you are having fun doing it. I personally enjoy reading your write ups so until your check ride write up keep us posted....

Look at the journey of learning to fly as a marathon and enjoy it. I started in a Cesspit 152/172 and finishing in a Piper Archer. Stalls are fun! Not difficult well I take that back, it is VERY difficult to get a Piper to actually stall. I did manage to get a wing drop which was cool.

Who are you to tell him what pace he needs to maintain with his training?

Frankly if he's not ready, he's not ready and he SHOULD continue to practice until he and his CFI concur that he's ready for the ride.

At the end of the day, it's all flying anyways. If you get along with your CFI, it's enormously fun.

Up again last Friday for 1.3 on the Hobbs. Steep turns were better, soft-field takeoff was better. Stalls and slow flight I'm much more comfortable with and "smoothing out" my transitions from cruising speed to slow flight. Just over 40 hours after that flight, but I'm thinking I'll continue to practice until I'm comfortable doing everything myself, ad nauseum, and my CFI gives me an 'A' on all maneuvers before I schedule my checkride. Heck, that might mean between 50-60 hours and taking my test in the Spring, but that's okay. I figure I'm still flying while I'm doing all that practice, and flying was why I got into this in the first place. :goofy:

Remember this, there is no 'grade' on your check ride, it is pass or fail and the standard being used is not 'perfect', it is 'safe'. For transitioning to slow flight note the power that you use to sustain it. To enter cut the the throttle and start spinning in the trim as you slow down and start adding flaps then set the power up when the stall horn starts sounding and use whatever back pressure you need to hold that attitude and trim the power to maintain altitude. Very likely you will end up at full trim and still pulling.

Who are you to tell him what pace he needs to maintain with his training?

Frankly if he's not ready, he's not ready and he SHOULD continue to practice until he and his CFI concur that he's ready for the ride.

At the end of the day, it's all flying anyways. If you get along with your CFI, it's enormously fun.

Sometimes people need a kick in the butt.

And it's not all flying. It is more expensive flying paying for a CFI to sit next to you.

Who are you to tell me who who I can or cannot give advice to?

For all my training experiences, especially from switching from a Diamond-20 to a Cessna 172, I kept close record of things I needed to work on after each flight… I found this aviation journal to record all the good and bad! www.pilotjournalnotebook.com

GOOD LUCK!

And it's not all flying. It is more expensive flying paying for a CFI to sit next to you.

Presumably someone who has enough sense not to push a "mile high club" agenda.

Trolls should not be giving advice. Period. If you're not a troll, you shouldn't be touching an airplane, let alone flying one, and have even less standing to give advice.

Trolls should not be giving advice. Period. If you're not a troll, you shouldn't be touching an airplane, let alone flying one, and have even less standing to give advice.

Well, he should at least wash his hands...:rofl:

If I'm a troll what are you? You post a lot of inflammatory argumentative responses to lots of posters here. Pot. Kettle. Black. Look at that thread about 182 rental rates. You had to go in there and poop over everything for what purpose? Troll. Now go run along.

I've never manufactured a situation only to upset others, or posted opinions I don't hold only to cause consternation. I believe you have, but I'll allow that you might really be that foolish. You do know what a troll is, right?

I'm sorry but I don't think that's the right attitude to have (kick em in the butt) when it comes to flight training. It's not a fast process for all people. I took just about 60 hours, the OP sounds like he might be around there, some have taken 40, others 100+... it's not about the hours, it's do you feel safe and does your CFI agree...

And CFI or not in the right seat, it's still flying and you're still learning something which is worth what you're paying for the CFI.

I've never manufactured a situation only to upset others, or posted opinions I don't hold only to cause consternation. I believe you have, but I'll allow that you might really be that foolish. You do know what a troll is, right?

Well, you believe wrong.

And if I choose to have sex in a plane, that is my right to make that choice for myself. It is none of your business and I quite frankly couldn't give a d*mn that it offends you. That does not make me a troll. And if this is off topic, YOU are the one who brought it up here.

I'm sorry but I don't think that's the right attitude to have (kick em in the butt) when it comes to flight training. It's not a fast process for all people. I took just about 60 hours, the OP sounds like he might be around there, some have taken 40, others 100+... it's not about the hours, it's do you feel safe and does your CFI agree...

And CFI or not in the right seat, it's still flying and you're still learning something which is worth what you're paying for the CFI.

It is tough love.

I think from reading through his posts that he will be an excellent pilot. Rather than everyone encouraging him to go slowly, we should instead be encouraging him to complete this as soon as possible. Because I myself took a year to get my PPL and it was slow going at first, then I buckled down and got it done and in my case I wish someone had come along and kicked ME in the butt earlier on. It would have saved me some money.

Well, you believe wrong.

And if I choose to have sex in a plane, that is my right to make that choice for myself. It is none of your business and I quite frankly couldn't give a d*mn that it offends you. That does not make me a troll. And if this is off topic, YOU are the one who brought it up here.

Well, OK. That means you have the judgment of an overripe turnip, and shouldn't be giving advice for that reason. That's what you took offense at, right? fiveoboy01 had it right.

You're a troll because I really don't buy that you're THAT stupid. So, go home, Pete.

....And if I choose to have sex in a plane, that is my right.....

I think it's safe to say, no one gives a flying f**k if you have sex in a plane.

get it? flying fk.......sex in a plane..........

but seriously, no one cares.

I think it's safe to say, no one gives a flying f**k if you have sex in a plane.

get it? flying fk.......sex in a plane..........

but seriously, no one cares.

They do care. Too much. That is why I am being trolled by idiots like Mac-cheese boy here.

Back