Change in cruise speed?

Colorado182

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Colorado182
Anyone experiment with the change in cruise speed between a forward and aft CG?
What were the differences in your aircraft?

Anyone experiment with the change in cruise speed between a forward and aft CG?
What were the differences in your aircraft?

I used to load 50 lb sand bags into the baggage area in my plane when flying solo (Cherokee 180) to balance things out a bit..also used them when had heavy PAX up front where I needed that extra "shift" in CG. Maybe a couple knots extra for cruise speed. Not really noticeable.

What helps? A forward or aft CG?
Aft CG reduces required downforce on elevator/stab so induced drag is reduced. Remember this for your com oral.

Moving CG aft will help most aircraft, except those with canard configuration probably. Moving CG aft means less down force required on tail, less lift from main wing, and therefore reduced induced drag. In my Mooney I see a knot or two if I slide my seat all the way back in cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, moving the CG back gives me a few more MPH in speed in my Cardinal RG. It's nice when reality matches theory.

Gary

Aft CG reduces required downforce on elevator/stab so induced drag is reduced. Remember this for your com oral.
I got asked this on my private oral... It's pretty obvious if you think about it, fortunately, if you think about the relationship between center of lift and center of gravity.

Back