CGR-30P vs EDM-900

tkiidk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ian
For the last few years I've been running an edm830 and I'm happy with it. However, some of my primary gauges have started to go out and rather than throw money at repairing them I'm now looking to upgrade to a new unit that can replace them (and also upgrade to Cies fuel senders). I've looked at the EDM930, but for panel space reasons I'd like a smaller display. The EDM900 looks good and would be essentially exactly what I have now but primary. However I've seen videos of the CGR30p/cgr30c combo and they look pretty good as well (and seem to be cheaper). Which do you think is a better deal?

I have the cgr30p, easy install due to no panel cutting, fit it into where the tach used to be, removed all the ancient wobbly gauges - looks 'clean'. I have no large glass panels, my instruments are all round, so the CGR30P just looks a better fit.

Do you have to do much button pushing on either device to see what you want to monitor in each phase of flight?

1 button push to scroll between screens. If I was willing to spend extra few grand, could have bought the combo (2 instruments) which would mean no scrolling. They let you decide( to a point) of which info you want on the main screen, and what you prefer on the secondary display (one button push away).

I think the quality is the same. I think it comes down to form factor. I prefer the circular factor to replace the panel gauge for a cleaner look. I placed mine to the left of the throttle, replacing the #2 cdi.

In some places, EI vs JPI will spark a religious war.

Do you have to swap sensors going from EDM830 to EDM900? Pretty sure you do going from EDM830 to CGR30P.

Also, have you considered a GI275? Same form factor as the CGR30P but much better screen.

the 275 was introduced just after I installed the CGR30P - it does indeed have a better screen. Would I have made a different choice had it been available? I don't think so; being able to phone EI and speak to a knowledgable person instantly and ask innumerable stupid questions which all got answered patiently was, in my case, worth it.

Do you have to swap sensors going from EDM830 to EDM900? Pretty sure you do going from EDM830 to CGR30P.

Also, have you considered a GI275? Same form factor as the CGR30P but much better screen.

Oddly enough it would seem that both of them support reusing the old sensors. However I've gotten some conflicting information about the 900. I have an email out to jpi, but have not heard back yet.

I considered the Garmin eis, however it seemed much more expensive and I didn't really see the benefit over the cgr.

IMG_20220719_144702848.jpg I had a similar situation with my plane. I added an EDI-700? and learned to use it, but it was used and had some problems with #2 cylinder, then my primary instrument cluster started going bad. I was looking at spending money anyway on both systems, so with the help of my AI we installed a CGR30P. I LOVE IT! For me it is much easier to use than the EDI and I can complete a trip without ever touching a single button during flight. Everything I need is on the main display. I can scroll to other screens for more information if I want, but I usually don't need to.

Now to be fair I didn't consider the EDI830 because the CGR30P was a good fit for my plane and my AI had installed several and really liked it. We also cleaned up my panel right much during the install so overall I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Just to clarify, William doesn't need to scroll as he installed the CGR30 combo which is 2 instruments. I got stingy and only installed the single CGR30P, hence my need to button push.

Just to clarify, William doesn't need to scroll as he installed the CGR30 combo which is 2 instruments. I got stingy and only installed the single CGR30P, hence my need to button push.
How much does it cost to add the second display to an existing installation?

IMG_20220705_165426742_HDR.jpg
How much does it cost to add the second display to an existing installation?

It has been 2 years since I did mine, but if I remember it wasn't much more $$ to get the 2 meter combo vs a single meter if it was all done at once. I think the increase was only about $800, but there was a promotion in place and installation cost didn't change much either. To add the second meter a year or so later was about $2000 +/- plus reprogramming. It just seemed a neater job to do both at the same time, and I could make the space available.

Alien Mind is right about the two meters not needing the button push, and he is right that the single meter will give the same information if you scroll between screens. When I was trying to decide, not having any experience with the meter at all, I just couldn't figure out which parameters I wanted on primary vs secondary display. I was so used to seeing everything I wanted to see in the eyeball scan without scrolling I decided that was a feature I wanted to keep, especially when doing initial startup on the ground. I wanted fuel flow, oil pressure, oil temperature, and fuel pressure available to view all at the same time. That wasn't possible with just one meter, so I went with the combo. Maybe I didn't need that, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

BTW: I was flying at 10500ft with 40kt tailwind. It was a nice flight.

Last edited:
I think the increase was only about $800, but there was a promotion in place and installation cost didn't change much either. To add the second meter a year or so later was about $2000 +/- plus reprogramming. It just seemed a neater job to do both at the same time, and I could make the space available.
In your particular case, 2 screens is a no-brainer for only $800 more. The $2000 +/- would give me pause, though.

I much prefer the EI. The JPI requires all sensors be plugged into the back if the screen itself. I think there are 5 or 6 connectors that plug into the screen. This makes for a lot of busy wiring right behind the panel. The EI has a remote data computer that has 3 37-pin connectors, and only about 6 wires, all in one connector, plug into the screens. EI has a way to adapt to many of your existing JPI sensors. They will make adapter harnesses that will accept the JPZi connectors. Some sensors need to be replaced, but not all.

Thanks everyone! I heard back from JPI today that apparently all of the sensors will have to be replaced to update to the 900. I think I am now leaning towards the cgrs as they seem like a better deal and will require less install work.

I compared them side by side and felt the extra screen real estate on the JPI made it easier to read for my older eyes. But the JPI screen has the offset overhang in one direction, which might prevent you from installing it in the location you want.

As always, if anybody has questions, we are on the forums to help. Feel free to PM me, send me an e-mail at support@iflyei.com or give me a call at 541-318-6060.

I had a CGR-30 combo in my last plane and really liked the unit.
However now having a Garmin EIS (G3x touch), the ability to log EIS data with all your other flight data in a simple app (Garmin Pilot) is amazing.
Not only for just monitoring how the engine is doing, but also what power setting gives you what speed, decent, etc...
Sure, at some point you memorize these in your own plan, but not having to fly it, write it down and then fly again is great.
In short my recommendation is 1.) Garmin, 2.) EI
Accepting if you are someone not using Garmin pilot *gasp*, it may not matter.

Back