CFI ? Students with previous training/endorsements from another CFI

Kspring1077

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hanginbythewicks
I have a new student who has had recent training and solo endorsements from another CFI. Do I need to retrain/ pre-solo test and overwrite his previous endorsements in his logbook.

Don’t think so. Certainly don’t have to on a follow-on 90 day endorsement.

Just need to be sure has appropriate endorsements, as in 90 day, if a different airport, different plane. I haven’t had them do a new test...

Didn't we just have this exact discussion?

Unless you are using a different type of airplane or a different airport, I would just retain a copy of the already-completed knowledge test. If they are the same, the knowledge test and original student solo endorsement are complete and don't have to repeated.

You don't need to "overwrite" anything. But you will want to write you own endorsement with your own limitations, following the requirements in 61.195(d):
d) Limitations on endorsements. A flight instructor may not endorse a:
(1) Student pilot’s logbook for solo flight privileges, unless that flight instructor has—
(i) Given that student the flight training required for solo flight privileges required by this part; and
(ii) Determined that the student is prepared to conduct the flight safely under known circumstances, subject to any limitations listed in the student’s logbook that the instructor considers necessary for the safety of the flight.​

Didn't we just have this exact discussion?

Unless you are using a different type of airplane or a different airport, I would just retain a copy of the already-completed knowledge test. If they are the same, the knowledge test and original student solo endorsement are complete and don't have to repeated.

You don't need to "overwrite" anything. But you will want to write you own endorsement with your own limitations, following the requirements in 61.195(d):
d) Limitations on endorsements. A flight instructor may not endorse a:
(1) Student pilot’s logbook for solo flight privileges, unless that flight instructor has—
(i) Given that student the flight training required for solo flight privileges required by this part; and
(ii) Determined that the student is prepared to conduct the flight safely under known circumstances, subject to any limitations listed in the student’s logbook that the instructor considers necessary for the safety of the flight.​

You and I didn’t have this exact discussion....but thanks for responding.

You and I didn’t have this exact discussion....but thanks for responding.

I also had a sense of deja vu. Here's the thread Mark @midlifeflyer is referring to, from Saturday. Humorously, it is virtually identical.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/cfi-endorsement.130412/

I will make note that Mark didn't even just copy and paste his answer from the previous thread, he hand-crafted his response to you. Now that's politely going the extra mile!

Back