CFI or ATP-CTP?

flyerfocus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyerfocus
I’ve been out out the loop for a decade or two while raising two kids and I’m now trying to figure out the quickest path to right seat of a regional jet. I’m a commercial/multi/instrument with 475 hours TT and who is just starting to build my proficiency back up. I’d assumed the path was for me to pay my dues as a CFI to build my time to 1500. Well, I just heard about this thing called ATP- CTP. It sounds like that’s a more direct route? Maybe? Is it? Can you bring me up to date? Maybe I don’t understand completely. Which route is better? CFI->ATP or direct to ATP-CTP? Thanks.

Hands down, CFI.

You really learn a lot about how to fly airplanes when you have to teach it and earn your stripes as a really good teacher.

And with the right school or independent set up, the hours come along at a good pace.

Also look about for contract gigs what put your commercial pilot to use.

For me, I’m teaching in 172’s as an independent (3 students at any time) and a contract pilot in a Bonanza. In the last 12 months I’ve logging hours like crazy and should have 1500 by Memorial Day if not sooner.

Also, ATP-CTP is a course you take when you’re about to cross 1500 hours.

Unless you’re referring to a different course offered by a specific school with a multi locations and a massive marketing budget.

Maybe I’m reading this incorrectly, but you can’t get an ATP until 1500 hours (a bit less under certain rules). The new CTP? course needs to be done at some time before that, not sure if there are time limitations. Regardless, you are a long way from even restricted ATP minimums with 475 hours. Instruct.

Once you hit 1500tt, the regional will hire you then send you to a week long atp/ctp course then on to type rating and atp checkride (3-4 weeks). Their standards are quite high right now in that you have to have a pulse.

quickest route to get you to 1500 would be CFI, pipeline patrol, or one of those imagery gigs. At 1000 hrs, you might be able to get on at a part 135 charter gig, but they’ll have a slower hours accumulation and expect you to hang around a year. Also could maybe drop meat bombs (skydivers) or tow banners if they do that around your neck of the woods.

The regional will pay for the atp-ctp, don’t pay for it yourself.
What you need is 1,000 more hours.

I think you misunderstand what "ATP-CTP" is. It doesn't have anything to do with building time. It's a course you have to take in order to take the knowledge test for the ATP checkride. That's it. They're usually about 5 days I think and consist of some ground school, CRM training, and simulator flying. And THEN you can take the ATP knowledge test.

But it doesn't build time.

I’ve been out out the loop for a decade or two while raising two kids and I’m now trying to figure out the quickest path to right seat of a regional jet. I’m a commercial/multi/instrument with 475 hours TT and who is just starting to build my proficiency back up. I’d assumed the path was for me to pay my dues as a CFI to build my time to 1500. Well, I just heard about this thing called ATP- CTP. It sounds like that’s a more direct route? Maybe? Is it? Can you bring me up to date? Maybe I don’t understand completely. Which route is better? CFI->ATP or direct to ATP-CTP? Thanks.

You will need at least 1500 hours total time, including 200 cross-country and 100 at night (though you can substitute night landings for a few of the night hours, I think 25). If you earned an aviation degree in conjunction with your flight training, the TT is reduced to 1250 or 1000 for a 2- or 4-year degree. See FAR 61.159 and 61.160.

if you can teach a subject properly then you have mastered it

Anyone can get a CFI but a good CFI will have mastered the material to be able to impart knowledge

Back