Cfi finally home

Daniel L

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
My cfi just got home after two months of atp training for skywest.

At last we can schedule consistent lessons and ground instruction. I hired him JUST when he was going to get the airline job so i managed 3 lessons before a spotty two months.

Anyway.. hes stoked too now that he is an airline pilot at last.

My goal is still to have my private complete by midsummer.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Are you sure he's allowed to give flight instruction while working for Skywest? Most airlines prohibit any outside professional flying.

Are you sure he's allowed to give flight instruction while working for Skywest? Most airlines prohibit any outside professional flying.
Jonesy is still an active CFI. At my shop, all we need is approval from a Chief Pilot. I’m sure SKW has a similar policy.

Good luck but don’t be too surprised if you need to change your CFI due to him not being available enough.

You put yourself on hold for two months? He must be quite a remarkable CFI.

Don’t count on consistency, especially now.

I’ve never worked anywhere that prohibited flying on the side. Just had to keep them in the loop. If an airline is actually staffed a junior ***** FO will be on short call reserve and not fly very much.

I’ve never worked anywhere that prohibited flying on the side. Just had to keep them in the loop.
I've never worked at one that didn't, and I'm on my sixth airline. The default has always been that you can't do any outside paid flying (other than military). In 28 years, I can't remember anyone getting approval to do so though I'm sure it must happen occasionally.

Forbidden where I was unless you obtained permission. Another company rule many ignored.

Last edited:
I've never worked at one that didn't, and I'm on my sixth airline. The default has always been that you can't do any outside paid flying (other than military). In 28 years, I can't remember anyone getting approval to do so though I'm sure it must happen occasionally.

Woof

Exactly. That was what happened at my outfit and the chief pilot knew and had blinders on when appropriate.

Ive logged 6 hours the last few weeks. I start solo monday after he gets back from 6 days on.

Gives me a chance to study and chair fly.

If your goal is to finish by midsummer, you have to fly more. You may get through pre-solo and even into your cross-country time this way, but when you start really ratcheting down your skills to meet ACS standards there’s no replacement for stick time with somebody in the right seat who will keep you on track.

Everybody’s different, but my best progress required at least 2 hours a week, more if I could get it.

I’ve never worked anywhere that prohibited flying on the side. Just had to keep them in the loop. If an airline is actually staffed a junior ***** FO will be on short call reserve and not fly very much.

Forbidden where I was unless you obtained permission. Another company rule many ignored.

I’ve heard of people who’s companies went both ways.

A few, it was related to crew rest and such. The joke there was, “If I get called in tonight, we didn’t fly together today, if anyone asks.”

Ha. Long time ago.

Nowadays they might find out if they knew tail numbers and pulled FlightAware data and cross referenced that to someone’s voice in the LiveATC archives.

Speaking of junior manning. I heard a story once that ops made it all the way to the top of the Rocky Mtn Airways seniority list ONCE. Just coincidence and chance in the days long before cell phones.

The #1 senior captain laughed and hung up the phone on them. He was not reprimanded. But it made everyone in the crew room laugh heartily he next time he was in.

If your goal is to finish by midsummer, you have to fly more. You may get through pre-solo and even into your cross-country time this way, but when you start really ratcheting down your skills to meet ACS standards there’s no replacement for stick time with somebody in the right seat who will keep you on track.

Everybody’s different, but my best progress required at least 2 hours a week, more if I could get it.
We are scheduling 4 hours a week at this time. Im studying and chair flying in between. And work and my side bisiness and helping in my moms yard and socializing and working out. Im busy.

Back