Cessna brake hose??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I'm doing an annual on a C-150J and I found the flexible brake hose to the caliper bad on one side. The original P/N S1810-1075 has been superseded by AE3664056B0106. I'm finding a ludicrous price from a low of $225.00 used to $942.00 new.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Why in H can't Cessna use standard hose parts is beyond me.

Thanks
Paul
Salome, AZ

Jesus christ, for some stainless steel braided line and fittings, unbelievable...

And I think owner-produced parts ($20 at your local hydraulic shop for a stainless-steel braided line) won't cut it on a 150. :(

And I think owner-produced parts ($20 at your local hydraulic shop for a stainless-steel braided line) won't cut it on a 150. :(

Uh, what? They do just fine on the formula cars and Daytona prototypes I've built and raced, with brake temps and pressures that far surpass what a Cessna experiences, and for hours at a time...

Last edited:
I have ran many a shop and in that shop we made all our own hydraulic lines or hoses. You do not just make these up and look at them and call it good to go. Also hydraulic hose comes in many different flavors, you must match the hose the the equipment it goes on. Its all about pressures. You must make sure the end you are using is correct for the hose you are using. You must then follow a guide as to how this will crimp and what the end should mic to when done. If it does not mic out correctly you must scrap all of it and start over. Once you make up a few hundred hoses it becomes second nature. Until then you go through some waste and this can get expensive.
My point hydraulic hoses are no big deal if you are trained to make these up and have experience doing it.

I might walk into a Parker store or other reputable hydraulics shop and ask them to duplicate the old one. They might ask if its for an airplane and I might imply that its not.

so can any A&P.

There are some out there that aren't the standard AN flared fittings. The 1977 cessna 177B has them. Idk if they are the same type fittings used on high pressure hydraulics in jets since I've never had the cessna oddball apart.

My 1968 177 has standard flared fittings.

[snip of outrageous pricing on brake hose]
Why in H can't Cessna use standard hose parts is beyond me.

Thanks
Paul
Salome, AZ

The really sad part of all this is Cessna probably did use standard off the shelf parts when they built the 150. I know older 170s had tractor electrical parts for things like the starter solenoid. But now, it's all aviation grade (which, admittedly has the paper trail to make sure you're getting the real deal and not some substandard knock-off).

John

so can any A&P.
I had hoped for a useful reply from you Tom, since you come across as a clever fellow. How about walking over to a C-150 and taking a look at the hose in question. It's the flex hose connecting to the caliper.

Then if you would be kind enough to instruct me in how YOU would make such a hose I'd be in your debt.

Thanks Paul
Salome, AZ

Aviall will duplicate hoses. Send them the old ones.

I had hoped for a useful reply from you Tom, since you come across as a clever fellow. How about walking over to a C-150 and taking a look at the hose in question. It's the flex hose connecting to the caliper.

Then if you would be kind enough to instruct me in how YOU would make such a hose I'd be in your debt.

Thanks Paul
Salome, AZ
They are standard #4 medium pressure hose all the parts and tools to assemble can be bought at Aircraft Spruce and Specialities.

We just put 2 on the 170 I support, they were made locally by the local Cessna dealer. I believe the owner paid about 50 bucks each.

Last edited:
Next problem you will face will be, how do you bleed the system?

Hmmmm.....is that acceptable to the administrator? :yikes:

I'd have to look at AC 43.13 to see if there is any mention of testing but hand hydraulic pumps are cheap and I can see little reason not to have a test setup if you're going to make hoses and lines.

I'd have to look at AC 43.13 to see if there is any mention of testing but hand hydraulic pumps are cheap and I can see little reason not to have a test setup if you're going to make hoses and lines.

Cessna 150s have a maintenance manual. which takes priority over the 43-13.

Cessna 150s have a maintenance manual. which takes priority over the 43-13.

Does that manual tell you how to fabricate a brake line? I don't remember seeing that sort of thing in those manuals, at most they might mention how to remove and install a brake line but probably not even that.

You need one of these:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aqmandrel2.php?clickkey=31761

Plus one of each of these for each end:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aq491.php?clickkey=4474

When inspected it will become apparent how it goes together, and your aircraft becomes the best stand ever built.
Forgot, you'll need some of this too:http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/strato111.php?clickkey=339681

Go out and LOOK at the hose on a C-150. It does NOT use standard *&%^Y*&^ parts.:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

You answer a post with WRONG info.

Are you saying 50 PSI is normal brake line operating pressure?

Put a gauge on the line and see what you can push with a standard cessna master cylinder.

Go out and LOOK at the hose on a C-150. It does NOT use standard *&%^Y*&^ parts.:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

You answer a post with WRONG info.

Can't tell from the pic what kind of fitting on at least on end.

Picture%201302-20121105-093226.jpg

Back