Cell Phone fast charging just stopped on 4 Android phones (This is mostly not aviation related)

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am a pilot and I noticed that my cell phone no longer fast charges. I plug it in and it says 45 minutes until 100% and then about 3 seconds later it says 2 hours until 100% and about 3 more seconds 4 Hours until 100%

My phone is generally charged overnight so it isn't much of a bother. But then my wife noticed the same thing and both kids. We all have Galaxy S21 phones.

I have tried a variety of combinations of cables and chargers and the above mentioned behavior is consistent. All 4 phones with a few months of one another just up and stopped fast charging.

I know nothing about how these devices work. Any idea what might be going on? Planned obsolescence?

is fast charging enabled?
perform software update?
kids found a way to get new phones out of you?

Try a new cable or clean the ports on the phone.

Simple solution, upgrade that phone. Buy a OnePlus 10t. Charging limited in the US to 125w; 0 to 100% in 19 minutes.

Check to make sure Fast Charging is enabled. Settings, Battery, More Battery Settings (usually)

Yeah, I recon if you're charging overnight it would be better to trickle charge it....
My understanding (basically zero) of lithium batteries is that the more often you fast charge the more the batteries don't like it....

that said, I like the fast charge in my oneplus 9. I as a general rule never leave it plugged in overnight

edit:
oh meant to add, my wife's phone seem to be much more intermittent with fast charging...always has been ....even when using the correct cables and chargers, etc.... hers is a oneplus I think but a lower end model..... I've not been able to find a pattern or cause....

good luck 6PC

How many cycles on the batteries? Does the phone have any kind of battery health indicator?

Last edited:
It's almost certainly a settings issue or a fouled update for everyone to have the same issue.

Last edited:
I sounds like an update disabled fast charging in order to avoid the traditional Samsung exploding batteries.

What? Nobody warned you?

Do you have "Optimized Charging" turned on? (usually it's in Settings->Battery->Health&Charging)

How about "Adaptive Battery Charging"?

Why would you not want fast charging? Is there a downside to it?

In theory using fast charging reduces the battery life, this also applies to electric cars. For phones, you’ll probably upgrade so it’s not as big of a deal and battery replacements are not that expensive.

My experience is that usb cords only last about 6 months. They'll still work, but no longer fast charge. Not sure if it's corrosion or dirt or what. Usually a new cable fixes it. Buy 'em by the dozen at the gettin' spot (AKA Amazon).

I am going to buy some new cords but I am going to but Android fast charging cords. Most of my cords are 3-4 years old.
All the settings look correct on my phone. It has been plugged in for 10 min and gone from 4 to 5% shows 6h 41 min until full

I am going to buy some new cords but I am going to but Android fast charging cords. Most of my cords are 3-4 years old.
All the settings look correct on my phone. It has been plugged in for 10 min and gone from 4 to 5% shows 6h 41 min until full
Not sure what you mean by "settings look correct". Adaptive charging, optimized charging, etc should be turned OFF (temporarily). Turning them on says "charge in a way that's good for the Earth and good for the battery". Turning them off says "forget the Earth and forget battery health, my time is more important so charge as fast as you can".

FWIW, I have a Galaxy S21U and fast charging works fine, so it's not a universal issue with S21s.

I don't think it matters, but I have the "battery saver" setting selected to only charge to 85%. I use both a wireless charging stand (at night) and plug-in chargers (in the car, in the plane, at work, etc.). I'm on Google Fi, fwiw.

Not sure what you mean by "settings look correct". Adaptive charging, optimized charging, etc should be turned OFF (temporarily). Turning them on says "charge in a way that's good for the Earth and good for the battery". Turning them off says "forget the Earth and forget battery health, my time is more important so charge as fast as you can".
Screenshot_20230624_103221_Device care.jpg

FWIW, I have a Galaxy S21U and fast charging works fine, so it's not a universal issue with S21s.

I don't think it matters, but I have the "battery saver" setting selected to only charge to 85%.
It will extend the life of the battery; whether it matters or not depends on if you tend to replace phones before the battery dies or if you run them until they are no longer supported.

Make sure the plug on the phone is free of debris...dust and lint have made the connection poor and it wont fast charge.

Last edited:
It will extend the life of the battery; whether it matters or not depends on if you tend to replace phones before the battery dies or if you run them until they are no longer supported.
I meant, "I don't think it matters re: whether the phone will fast-charge or not".

You can buy a 3/4/5 pack usb-c fast charger/wire combo on Amazon, I did that was like $10, works great everywhere airplane FBO car etc.

Some phones plan to fully charge by the time you wake up, that it identified on your behalf. And will pause charging in the night until closer to your wake up time.

Try a new cable or clean the ports on the phone.
That happened to me. Pocket fuzz filled my phone charging port and it wouldn’t charge. Good clean and it charged great!

Do you have a Dell laptop with a USB-C charger? Give that a whirl! That's how I charge my XCover-Pro these days...

So, didja get it it sorted?

Back