Cars are just cars to pilots

My Dad has one of the newer ones. Far from crap. None of the Land Cruisers will do what a Jeep will though.

Maybe crap is a harsh term, but they aren't the same. The old Land Cruisers - Jeep style chassis and body, were pretty much indestructible. They were the go-to vehicle in the DR and Puerto Rico, and could go any place a CJ could go.

I know you're probably referring to the Wranglers, but I think Jeep is bracing for a PR nightmare with its Cherokees.

Saw a brand new Cherokee yesterday. That isn't a Jeep. That's a Chrysler bubble car. Loved the "Trail Rated" badging all over it though.

Hahahahahahhaha. Maybe the greenbelt bike trail behind the suburban house.

My toy. I love it, but I wouldn't give up flying for it.
27563973360_fb6241742f_z.jpg

I had and restored a '79 FJ-40 but sold it when we moved to the new house. Made a good profit. Still had the bug so I bought a Willys pickup. A little more practical but my plane gets better mileage than either of them.

I know you're probably referring to the Wranglers, but I think Jeep is bracing for a PR nightmare with its Cherokees.

Still nice trucks, but even the new wranglers are becoming cars, they ditched the famous off-road 4L straight 6 in trade for the minivan "pentastar" V6, also, like most people it got FAT, making it more spacious but also making it LESS "trail rated" IMO.

IMO function wise the TJ wrangler is still the best, latest version of the 4.0, still a narrow and short body, coil springs, etc.

Last edited:
How I feel about German cars too. :confused::D

Nothing like a nice Benz, but sell it before you loose that bumper to bumper warranty

Only German cars that would be keepers IMO would be a 911, well kitted unimog, old till wing, or a couple older BWM Ms or alpinas

Still nice trucks, but even the new wranglers are becoming cars, they ditched the famous off-road 4L straight 6 in trade for the minivan "pentastar" V6, also, like most people it got FAT, making it more spacious but also making it LESS "trail rated" IMO.

IMO function wise the TJ wrangler is still the best, latest version of the 4.0, still a narrow and short body, coil springs, etc.
The JK is more capable than the TJ on and off-road. I had a 2012 2 door, and it would out wheel my cousins ZR2 on 35's and his brothers TJ on 35s. When you mod them, it just becomes more noticeable. Only place the TJ wins is if you're doing a budget build. JKs have solid axles and coil springs....

Off road so much depends on the driver too, picking the right line and having a gut of what will work and won't, personally I could have bought ether one, I preferred the short, narrow TJ and the lineage and low end (off-roading) of the straight 6 over the JK, just more of a "jeep" IMO

If you're looking for a road car, you have already failed if you're looking for a short wheel based box like a wrangler. I got other things in the stable for that mission ;)

My "interesting" car (to me, at least) is a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Cabriolet, blue and blue with a 500cid fuel injected V8 (the fuel injection is rare). Simply massive, but I love it. No pictures just now, because it is in rehab just now, but soon.

My other favorite car is the one in my avatar... A true classic, and it's simply awesome. It can sit for two months untouched, and it always fires up.

Recently, went to Fredericksburg, loaded up the Custom Cruiser with our stuff, and saw that there was a metric crap-ton of these foreign cars, so I thought I'd class 'em up by taking a picture with my unmatched ride. They were, no doubt, envious beyond measure!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 20
Off road so much depends on the driver too, picking the right line and having a gut of what will work and won't...

That's what the winch and tackle are for... when you screw that up! Well that and your buddies giving you crap for having to use them. Hahaha.

Nowadays there's not much to see when you pop the hood other than a few hoses and a big plastic cover. The last car to have an interesting engine to look at that didn't have a plastic cover is probably the Alfa Romeo 156GTA.

Besides the rear engine exotics like Ferrari's, etc, next time you see a Maserati ask to pop the hood and look at the engine. It's a conventional layout (front engine rear wheel drive) but they don't hide that beautiful V8 under plastic.

Nothing like a nice Benz, but sell it before you loose that bumper to bumper warranty

Only German cars that would be keepers IMO would be a 911, well kitted unimog, old till wing, or a couple older BWM Ms or alpinas

Bought my E55 at 191k. Rolled over 197k just now, haven't touched it so far.

Of course, I've also ignored the extra lights that have come on since then. I think one or two disappeared, haven't paid much attention.

Yknow, you can pull those bulbs, Ted.

Im the odd one out in my family when it comes to cars. My dad, my grandfather, uncle, everyone are car guys. I've never gotten into cars, I use them to get from A to B but thats really as far as it goes. Driving has never been "enjoyable" to me like flying is. Aircraft have always been way more interesting and exciting. I do enjoy looking at some exotic cars but thats really about it. I can take it or leave it. Like the title says, cars are just cars to me and thats it.

Yknow, you can pull those bulbs, Ted.

Negative. The E55 has an instrument cluster with a high resolution LED display, see here:

e55_komp_315_600_450.jpg

When I refer to "lights" I really mean warnings displayed in the center of the speedometer.

But, you can click through them once you start up and ignore them for the rest of the drive, which is what I do. I still have 469 HP (or damn close to it), which is enough for me.

Not necessarily. I am on the list for the Model 3, and I have no interest in "drawing attention". Bottom line, the driving experience (as sampled on a Model S) is vastly superior to combustion engine vehicles.

After last night's announcement I hope they are around long enough to deliver it to you.

Well, it depends on what it is about the "driving experience" you enjoy. If it's sheer performance, minimal noise, and limited range, sure, the Tesla will do it. If you enjoy the sound of a high-revving 6/8, the loping-idle of a high-cu.in. V8, or the smell of burning hydrocarbons . . . the enjoyment of the driving experience in a Tesla may be lackluster.
Yep. I have a feeling I'd get bored in a Tesla

Yep. I have a feeling I'd get bored in a Tesla

Yep. Cars that are "perfect" are the most boring to drive. No readily apparent bad habits. No personality.
Like dating a librarian. Mother approves, but can you imagine spending the rest of your life...

I hope dans2992 takes delivery of his Model 3 and brings it up for a visit to my ranch in the Rocky Mtns in January. Will be interesting to see how that "driving experience" stands up in that situation. After running the cabin heater, wipers, lights and defroster not sure there will be enough juice left to move the car very far in the snow.

Last edited:
Besides the rear engine exotics like Ferrari's, etc, next time you see a Maserati ask to pop the hood and look at the engine. It's a conventional layout (front engine rear wheel drive) but they don't hide that beautiful V8 under plastic.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the Maser. It is a slight bit of cheat though since I wasn't counting exotics and the Maserati V8 is essentially a Ferrari V8 with a crossplane crank. But I concede your point nevertheless.

Negative. The E55 has an instrument cluster with a high resolution LED display, see here:

e55_komp_315_600_450.jpg

When I refer to "lights" I really mean warnings displayed in the center of the speedometer.

But, you can click through them once you start up and ignore them for the rest of the drive, which is what I do. I still have 469 HP (or damn close to it), which is enough for me.

Nice.

Glad you can click through; on the BMW, if a warning appears, it (generally) keeps coming back. Worst is the "adaptive headlights" (cornering lights in turns); occasionally, this mildly useful but ultimately unnecessary feature senses a fault, after which you gave to see that damned yellow triangle popping up on the driver info display repeatedly. Shop can't find the problem.

My current wheels project is a Chevelle SS 454.
The Chevelle (factory SS) has been in dry storage for some 20 years. It will be a body off the frame resto. The sheet metal is solid so all the work will be new suspension with 4 wheel disk brakes, etc. and getting the body smooth and straight (hours and hours of blocking) Then a three mile deep finish of mirror black.
I have two engines on stands in the shop. One is a coughing shaking idle that revs to the moon race engine. And one is a smooth idling torque monster for the street.
Nice cars are nice, but if I can't twist wrenches on it what's the point?

Buddy bought a new 68 or 69 SS 454 back in the day when we were stationed in GA. Blue w/ the white stripes on hood and trunk lid, white interior. Beautiful car, and it could scat!

Nice.

Glad you can click through; on the BMW, if a warning appears, it (generally) keeps coming back. Worst is the "adaptive headlights" (cornering lights in turns); occasionally, this mildly useful but ultimately unnecessary feature senses a fault, after which you gave to see that damned yellow triangle popping up on the driver info display repeatedly. Shop can't find the problem.

The fact I can click through the errors on the display is definitely nice. Of course, the "SRS" and "Check Engine" lights I can't click through, those are actually lights in the dash. Too much work to remove them, and eventually the bulbs might burn out.

I do suspect the car needs a tune-up (16 spark plugs, 2/cylinder like our engines with 16 wires) and a MAF, just because those are common failure points and it does have a slightly rough idle and seem to get confused at times, hunting around for the proper RPM. However, I'm still getting 17-18 MPG on my commute (not bad for using most of the available 469 HP on a daily basis) and the thing runs. That makes me significantly less inclined to spend time fixing it when there's a 414 in the hangar that has a laundry list of improvement items I want to do.

Yep. Cars that are "perfect" are the most boring to drive. No readily apparent bad habits. No personality.
Like dating a librarian. Mother approves, but can you imagine spending the rest of your life...

I hope dans2992 takes delivery of his Model 3 and brings it up for a visit to my ranch in the Rocky Mtns in January. Will be interesting to see how that "driving experience" stands up in that situation. After running the cabin heater, wipers, lights and defroster not sure there will be enough juice left to move the car very far in the snow.

Should be interesting to see... Also, I live in Phoenix. The need for a heater is rare out here.

...and whoever mentioned the SolarCity announcement - yeah, I have no idea what Elon's thinking there.

The fact I can click through the errors on the display is definitely nice. Of course, the "SRS" and "Check Engine" lights I can't click through, those are actually lights in the dash. Too much work to remove them, and eventually the bulbs might burn out.

I do suspect the car needs a tune-up (16 spark plugs, 2/cylinder like our engines with 16 wires) and a MAF, just because those are common failure points and it does have a slightly rough idle and seem to get confused at times, hunting around for the proper RPM. However, I'm still getting 17-18 MPG on my commute (not bad for using most of the available 469 HP on a daily basis) and the thing runs. That makes me significantly less inclined to spend time fixing it when there's a 414 in the hangar that has a laundry list of improvement items I want to do.

A vette has about the same power, better performance and will get nearly 30mpg on the freeway, lots less systems too.

Im the odd one out in my family when it comes to cars. My dad, my grandfather, uncle, everyone are car guys. I've never gotten into cars, I use them to get from A to B but thats really as far as it goes. Driving has never been "enjoyable" to me like flying is. Aircraft have always been way more interesting and exciting. I do enjoy looking at some exotic cars but thats really about it. I can take it or leave it. Like the title says, cars are just cars to me and thats it.

Yes. I'm hoping to put the Model 3 on "autopilot" and read PoA during my commute... :)

A vette has about the same power, better performance and will get nearly 30mpg on the freeway, lots less systems too.

You are correct. My Mercedes would get a bit better if I fixed the engine issues, but the Vette can't fit 3 car seats across the back, nor be had for $9k used.

You are correct. My Mercedes would get a bit better if I fixed the engine issues, but the Vette can't fit 3 car seats across the back, nor be had for $9k used.

This is true.

I will give it to the AMGs, the weight and wheel base do make for a nicer long range ride too

Last edited:
I will give it to the AMGs, the weight and wheel base to make for a nicer long range ride too

The comfort and sporty feel of the seats is incredible. I drove my E55 to RTC for the 414 sim training, 470 miles or so each way. I'm used to long days in the saddle, but this car was just a joy to drive for it.

I test drove a 2015 Cherokee last week. It had less than 3,000 miles and was turned back to the dealer as a lemon. That dealer just said they couldn't replicate the problem, and didn't know why it wasn't working (lying sob's). I talked to my neighbor that works at a different dealer, and he said there are a lot of transmission issues with them, and a lot are getting returned. I ended up buying a 2011 Wrangler from him instead. I've never been a car guy, but I've already bought a few after market accessories for it.

How I feel about German cars too. :confused::D
I've owned two porches, a Carrera s and a cayman. Both are great cars, fun to drive , reliable and the pdk transmission is a miracle, also a lot of fun. Have also owned a 70 goat convertible, , new, a lexus, Subaru turbo forester, new, , etc. etc. I like new cars and nice airplanes. Judging from the parking lot at the airport, I'm not alone. Why not both?

My current wheels project is a Chevelle SS 454.
The Chevelle (factory SS) has been in dry storage for some 20 years. It will be a body off the frame resto. The sheet metal is solid so all the work will be new suspension with 4 wheel disk brakes, etc. and getting the body smooth and straight (hours and hours of blocking) Then a three mile deep finish of mirror black.
I have two engines on stands in the shop. One is a coughing shaking idle that revs to the moon race engine. And one is a smooth idling torque monster for the street.
Nice cars are nice, but if I can't twist wrenches on it what's the point?

Oh man I want to see that when you're done.

Back