Carry on bag size

ChemGuy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ChemGuy
Sitting here waiting to get on the AL tube back home. Gate guy goes thru his spiel, and mentions that carry on must fit in size bin, per FAA not southwest.

Hmmm. Can some one point out the actual reg that defines carry on size as I can't find it. Also is it the 121 section that you can only have 1 carry on and 1 personal item as they like to blame the FAA for that as well.

Thanks,

I don't know, but EVERYONE violates the carry on size limitation. The little square box at the end of the air bridge that your carry on is supposed to fit within isn't even large enough to accommodate a Hello Kitty backpack. The practical rule that gets enforced is that if the bin door can't be closed, it goes back to checked luggage.

What ever the source, I wish more gate agents would enforce the size restriction. Been on too many flights where too many carry ons were oversized and departure was delayed while the FA's dealt with the problem.

I have noticed there are very small differences in the specific dimensions published by different airlines. Was on a round trip to Houston last week and had a code share on United coming back. I was trying to avoid checking any bag. Their fine print showed differences of 1/2" in two of the dimensions compared to the outgoing leg airline. Would assume from that the FAA doesn't regulate specific dimensions.

Alaska's 737-900s sure carry a lot in those bins. When irritates me is how nobody will be in a row of seats but the bins are full from people sitting further back. I only carry a computer bag and board early so I don't care much. When airlines started charging for luggage they created a monster.

Alaska's 737-900s sure carry a lot in those bins. When irritates me is how nobody will be in a row of seats but the bins are full from people sitting further back. I only carry a computer bag and board early so I don't care much. When airlines started charging for luggage they created a monster.
They could be crew bags. DL refurbished the interior on the 319/320 and the bin space is massive. Instead of the bags laying flat, you can tip it on its side and fit an extra bag or two in.

Airlines differ in the size of carry-on they allow. I have a list somewhere but I'm on my phone. You can google it. As I recall, Southwest is somewhat more generous as far as bag size than other airlines.

I would guess it may be part of their 121 certificate held with the FAA. Even if it isn't in the FARs, it may be in their specific certificate.

What ever the source, I wish more gate agents would enforce the size restriction. Been on too many flights where too many carry ons were oversized and departure was delayed while the FA's dealt with the problem.

I especially like the people that walk up to their seat, put their bag in the overhead, and then promptly closing it with no other bags inside.....:lol::lol::lol:

I don't know, but EVERYONE violates the carry on size limitation.

Depends on the airline how then enforce it. Southwest has the motto if it fits it ships...then will help cram it in. The Southwest fleet bin size also varies wildly from the 737-300's to the new 800's.

United on the other hand are carry on size Nazis before you even board. I have been denied my carry on with United that I fly day in and day out with on other airlines.

Thanks SkyDog.
It seems there is no FAA requirement, The carry on bag requirements are in their operating cert specs. So they could allow 2 duffel bags, a burlap sack and a barrel full of monkeys per passenger if they wanted.

I knew it wasn't govt dictated since hey all have different bag size bins. And yes, many peoples bags are waaayy bigger than allowed. I rarely see a gate agnet do anything about it though. Don't want to annoy the sheeple, they way riot.

Thanks SkyDog.
It seems there is no FAA requirement, The carry on bag requirements are in their operating cert specs. So they could allow 2 duffel bags, a burlap sack and a barrel full of monkeys per passenger if they wanted.

I knew it wasn't govt dictated since hey all have different bag size bins. And yes, many peoples bags are waaayy bigger than allowed. I rarely see a gate agnet do anything about it though. Don't want to annoy the sheeple, they way riot.

But whatever the operator puts in their manual and gets added to their ops specs has pretty much the same weight as a regulation and the airline must abide by it. As has been noted, not many airlines comply with this requirement by enforcing the size limits with their pax. I would love to see it get enforced. It would be interesting to see the FAA POI for an airline standing at the gate and ensuring that they do their job.

Sitting here waiting to get on the AL tube back home. Gate guy goes thru his spiel, and mentions that carry on must fit in size bin, per FAA not southwest.

Hmmm. Can some one point out the actual reg that defines carry on size as I can't find it. Also is it the 121 section that you can only have 1 carry on and 1 personal item as they like to blame the FAA for that as well.

Thanks,

Oh, so youre THAT guy...:mad:

Thanks SkyDog.

I think they have restrictions so that isles and exits aren't restricted, must be something in the FAR's about that.

I think more than a few "airline policies" are called "FAA regulations" when in fact there is no regulation. The sheep accept it and mutter about the reg rather than question the policy.

I think more than a few "airline policies" are called "FAA regulations" when in fact there is no regulation. The sheep accept it and mutter about the reg rather than question the policy.

As SkyDog referred to, airlines have Ops Specs that are approved and signed by a FAA office, FSDO. Those Op Specs have to be complied with. So in essence, while not a FAR, Op Specs really function as an FAR.

Can a passenger be arrested and subjected to federal penalties for violation of an Ops Spec? The implication given by the cabin crew is that they are actual laws.

Not saying there's anything wrong with not allowing people to bring everything they own on board, just that the way the rulez are communicated are somewhat deceptive.

For instance, in a GA plane, the pilot can determine what electronics are allowed at any time. On commercial carriers the company makes the dictate and the announcement pretends it is a law. This one is probably in the Ops Specs.

Complying with crew members instructions is more likely to be an actual regulation than an Ops Spec. N'est pas?

Can a passenger be arrested and subjected to federal penalties for violation of an Ops Spec?

Op Specs are for an individual airline. A particular airline could be violated and fined by the FAA for noncompliance, just as though it were a FAR.

Passengers, however, would be taken outside behind the woodshed and beaten with a rubber hose. Bet you didn't know every commercial airport has a woodshed did you? :p

Interesting that many of the overseas carriers also post a weight restriction, while the CONUS carriers don't.

Yep. An a couple, like Qantas, are very strict about it on international flights, to the point of having a scale in the jetway.

For those who have trouble deciphering the regs, the passenger's responsibilty is clearly defined. See the text in red below.

§121.589 Carry-on baggage.
(a) No certificate holder may allow the boarding of carry-on baggage on an airplane unless each passenger's baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program in its operations specifications. In addition, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the carry-on baggage program in the certificate holder's operations specifications.

(b) No certificate holder may allow all passenger entry doors of an airplane to be closed in preparation for taxi or pushback unless at least one required crewmember has verified that each article of baggage is stowed in accordance with this section and §121.285 (c) and (d).

(c) No certificate holder may allow an airplane to take off or land unless each article of baggage is stowed:

(1) In a suitable closet or baggage or cargo stowage compartment placarded for its maximum weight and providing proper restraint for all baggage or cargo stowed within, and in a manner that does not hinder the possible use of any emergency equipment; or

(2) As provided in §121.285 (c) and (d); or

(3) Under a passenger seat.

(d) Baggage, other than articles of loose clothing, may not be placed in an overhead rack unless that rack is equipped with approved restraining devices or doors.

(e) Each passenger must comply with instructions given by crewmembers regarding compliance with paragraphs (a), (b), (c), (d), and (g) of this section.

And yes, the FAA can, will and has gone after passengers for violating FARs such as this one.

Back