Can this cirrus be fixed after chute deployment?

According to Cirrus, "it depends". I guess that they all are fixable, but some may have a hull value less than the repair value. I perhaps would hesitate to buy one that had been repaired, as would quite a few others, so you can get one at a good discount if that doesn't bother you. And this one says "no damage to engine", but if one of the blades has had impact damage, even with a stopped engine, you are in for a tear down. If I was an A&P I'd consider this sort of project, given the low hours.

Anything is fixable with enough money and time. The better question is, is it economically viable to fix and is someone willing to shoulder the liability for doing so?

If you do it, make sure you safety-wire those flap connectors . . .

Edit to add:

And this one says "no damage to engine", but if one of the blades has had impact damage, even with a stopped engine, you are in for a tear down.

I just scrolled through the pics, one of the prop blades is COMPLETELY MISSING (and the spinner cone looks dinged). Lulz.

Last edited:
Hmmmm......couldnt it be as easy as,say.
Make the necessary repairs, slap experimental on the side and rip holes in the sky?

Hmmmm......couldnt it be as easy as,say.
Make the necessary repairs, slap experimental on the side and rip holes in the sky?
The FAA wouldn't likely let you register it as "Experimental" unless you made some massive changes (google "Draco Wilga").

"Crack in the fuselage just forward of the wing".... Uh, yea... who the effff would even think this could be a smart move. But me thinks some idgeiot will buy it with champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Between the prop damage and the cracks, IMO that’s a parts airplane.

Wonder what ever happened to the mx guy who put his numbers and ink to that bolt?

Probable Cause and Findings
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
The failure of maintenance personnel to install a safety wire during reinstallation of the right flap, which led to the separation of the right flap rod from the right flap actuation fitting during flap extension. Contributing to the accident were inadequate inspections of the right flap during subsequent annual, prebuy, and preflight inspections.”

I’d be having a very in-depth come to jesus with the guy for almost killing me.

That'll buff right out, along with a little Bondo. I wonder if retracting the flaps would have solved the issue and allowed a no flap landing?

Someone could buy it and have some nice parts for their experimental RV. I'm not too keen on repairing that fuselage crack. Often times with composites there may be even more hidden damage that is difficult to see. Take the engine for core value, re-use the avionics if they weren't too jarred from the chute and impact with the ground.

Where did the wheels pants go? Did they break away in the deployment/impact?

The failure of maintenance personnel to install a safety wire during reinstallation of the right flap, which led to the separation of the right flap rod from the right flap actuation fitting during flap extension. Contributing to the accident were inadequate inspections of the right flap during subsequent annual, prebuy, and preflight inspections.”

I’d be having a very in-depth come to jesus with the guy for almost killing me.

Which guy? The one who forgot the safety, the one who did the last annual, the one who did the prebuy, or the one who did the preflight?

Which guy? The one who forgot the safety, the one who did the last annual, the one who did the prebuy, or the one who did the preflight?

Not sure if that’s something inspected on annual, but for sure the guy who didn’t saftey wire it and also possibly the guy who did the last annual.

That'll buff right out, along with a little Bondo. I wonder if retracting the flaps would have solved the issue and allowed a no flap landing?
From my arm chair, that's what I would have tried before pulling that handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Probably, yes. If airplane starts to roll with flap extension, undo flap extension. But, then again you have the "chute". No need to try and figure it out.

From my arm chair, that's what I would have tried before pulling that handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Looks like he did try albeit his attempt was flawed, he should have left the flaps up and done a no flap landing, but the pucker factor had to be high, not sure I would have done any better. In the end, for the circumstances, he did the right thing and pulled to live another day.

Probably, yes. If airplane starts to roll with flap extension, undo flap extension. But, then again you have the "chute". No need to try and figure it out.

He did try, but apparently screwed up the attempt from what is written in Let'sgoflyings's post. He had another option and used it, to that I say great job.

Not sure if that’s something inspected on annual, but for sure the guy who didn’t saftey wire it and also possibly the guy who did the last annual.

But according to the report:
“Since the time of the maintenance (211 hours of operation), annual, prebuy, and preflight inspections occurred, during which the lack of a safety wire went unnoticed. “

211 hours is a lot of preflights. I check all visible flight control hardware on every preflight. And yes I know, it’s probably much easier on a high wing Cessna. I would imagine the mechanic who installed the flap would argue that if no one noticed the safety wire was missing in all that time, perhaps it wasn’t missing.

And per the report:
According to the Cirrus SR22T pilot operating handbook, the preflight checklist states to "inspect flap hinges, actuation arm, bolts, and cotter pins.....secure."

I’d place a lot of blame on the pilot(s) who did all of those preflights.

“Since the time of the maintenance (211 hours of operation), annual, prebuy, and preflight inspections occurred, during which the lack of a safety wire went unnoticed. “

211 hours is a lot of preflights. I check all visible flight control hardware on every preflight. And yes I know, it’s probably much easier on a high wing Cessna. I would imagine the mechanic who installed the flap would argue that if no one noticed the safety wire was missing in all that time, perhaps it wasn’t missing.

And per the report:
According to the Cirrus SR22T pilot operating handbook, the preflight checklist states to "inspect flap hinges, actuation arm, bolts, and cotter pins.....secure."

I wonder if you can see that bolt on preflight, this is a case of a picture is worth a thousand words.

And per the report:

Is this bolt even something you can even see?

I had this pin between the flap control arm and flap servo fall out of my lancair right after takeoff over the departure end of the rrunway.
20180616_094255.jpg
It is the standard flap control arm pin as supplied with the kit.

Back to the cirrus, I wonder how one repairs the fuselage cracks on a certified aircraft. and what it would cost to gget airworthy again.

I wonder if you can see that bolt on preflight, this is a case of a picture is worth a thousand words.

I’m not certain as I haven’t worked on or even flown Cirrus but I’m making an educated guess that with flaps down that it is visible though one might need a creeper to see it. I guess it all comes down to how much effort one wants to put into their preflight and their personal well-being.

In the age old debate... advantage, high wing.

This will not be cheap to get airworthy.

Motor will require teardown due to impact. Case needs checked for possible crack(s) and crank X-rayed. Need prop, spinner, and spinner hub. Add in motor mounts.
Seats pans need inspected/maybe replaced.
Front cowling upper and lower - replace.
New CAPS systems with body repair.
Front landing gear -all new.
Fuselage cracks and paint -substantial work. Detailed procedures from the factory to be followed.
Wings/flaps - thoroughly inspected and repaired.

Duluth would be the only ones I would allow to complete this, and I’d estimate 12-18 months to address everything.

I love the seller comment “...a composite guy can easily fix.” If this was not complex why didn’t the insurance company complete the repairs? I don’t know what a ‘10 goes for on the used market but insurance walked away and salvaged the airframe for a reason.

The CAPS system did its job. There are several CAPS repaired planes still flying which is a testament to the system and the repair procedures.

Since I need Duluth to do most of the repairs and I am no where close, that makes me doing motor and other work not possible so the potential savings is out. As they say on shark tank, I am out.

> Seats pans need inspected/maybe replaced.

Probably just hosing them off real good will work :)

I had this pin between the flap control arm and flap servo fall out of my lancair right after takeoff over the departure end of the rrunway.
View attachment 66842

Back to the cirrus, I wonder how one repairs the fuselage cracks on a certified aircraft. and what it would cost to gget airworthy again.

The clip part of that arm pin looks like it was stretched beyond it's elastic limit on one of its installs, which probably caused the issue. Generally issues like that can be part of trying to design to much functionality into a single part. Glad you didn't have any other issues.

View attachment 66842

It looks like the air frame might be bent at the firewall due to the impact nose down. The cracks in the fuselage skins may just be a symptom of a deeper problem.

Someone bid $75k for it, that seems like a lot, although I suppose the avionics and engine are worth more than that now.

but insurance walked away and salvaged the airframe for a reason

1. Money.

2. Easier to draw a check for a crashed plane once. Think of the possible money payout of they paid to fix the plane and then it crashed again, this time with fatalities.

3. Purely my SWAG.

> Seats pans need inspected/maybe replaced.

Probably just hosing them off real good will work :)

LMAO....

There is a good reason to inspect them for another reason. The areas underneath the seats are a honeycomb of aluminum intended to crush in a downward impact, e.g., if you fall out of the sky under the parachute. They will also crush locally if subjected to the full weight of a person concentrated in the area of a knee. This is to help prevent spinal injury to the occupants. Depending on how hard he landed, they could be toast. Just one more thing.

Insurance companies aren't in the business of losing money. They have a pretty good idea what this was going to cost. If used ones are selling for $400k, take your queue from there.

LMAO....

There is a good reason to inspect them for another reason. The areas underneath the seats are a honeycomb of aluminum intended to crush in a downward impact, e.g., if you fall out of the sky under the parachute. They will also crush locally if subjected to the full weight of a person concentrated in the area of a knee. This is to help prevent spinal injury to the occupants. Depending on how hard he landed, they could be toast. Just one more thing.

Insurance companies aren't in the business of losing money. They have a pretty good idea what this was going to cost. If used ones are selling for $400k, take your queue from there.

The sad thing is the used ones of this vintage are asking more like $550k

Back