Can owner install different fire extinguisher bracket?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
That old chemical fire extinguisher from 1972 was bothering us :eek:so i bought a newer Halon one instead. The new one is a bit larger diameter but still fits the old bracket...but its pretty snug. And more importantly this one weighs more by almost 2lbs. So I would prefer to use the new bracket which has two bands, especially for any nasty turbulence.

So can the owner install the bracket? I can reuse two screws but need to drill 2 more.

I suspect someone with IA will be required so maybe its best to use the old bracket until our A&P can do it. It will need a new W&B too i guess. Maybe im answering my own question. But this also seems to fall under the category of a simple assembly and of a more owner maintenance like category.

My answer is yes you can. I have zero information to back that up with so stand by for something better. I didn't have one installed when I bought my plane. Purchased one from spruce and installed it. My shop had no issue at annual.

If it is not in the logbook, it never happened.
If an A&P wants in the book, let them put it there.

I fabricated an aluminum fire extinguisher bracket holder and attached it to the front front tubular steel 'legs' of the front left seat in my 172 using four Adel clamps. It's easily removed without any trace of the installation, so it's not permanently installed. That was in 2002, and it's been through 16 annual inspections without any comments.

I've practiced unlatching it with one hand.

Bracket%20and%20Seat%20Mounting%20LoRes_zpsuezgzzng.jpg

So can the owner install the bracket? I
Per the FARs... no. But it's solely your call as owner whether to follow them. Logbook sign off and empty weight-balance/equipment list update by A&P to keep you square. FYI: some extinguishers are not recommended for aviation use.

Depends, I'd imagine a simple swap of brackets that say use the same two screws would be considered basic maintaince.

"Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system. Once again, this should be regarded as a safety-of-flight issue that can affect your well-being. The seats are specifically designed. Don't modify them to make them stronger or more rigid. Replacement seats or seat parts must be of an approved design for your make and model airplane."

Or

"Replacement or adjustment of nonstructural standard fasteners incidental to operations. You are permitted to remove and replace nonstructural standard fasteners, which also includes the removal and replacement of screws or rivets used to attach fasteners. Remember that you must use the approved fasteners, screws, and rivets for your airplane. If you are one of those mechanically gifted people, have at it: drive those rivets. But if you like to put a square peg in a round hole, this may be a complex task for you. Leave it to the professionals."

I replaced my dry chem with a aviation halon, though the brackets were basically the exact same, it said in the documents that came with the halon that it needed to be installed with the new bracket it came with, plus the new one looked better anyways ;)

By rule, any added equipment by the owner/operator, must be able to be removed or installed with out the usage of tools. example iPad yoke mounts
and they require no entries for return to service.
thus, the case in point is in fact illegal.

By rule, any added equipment by the owner/operator, must be able to be removed or installed with out the usage of tools. example iPad yoke mounts
and they require no entries for return to service.
thus, the case in point is in fact illegal.

He wasn't adding it, he was replacing a existing one, if he swaps a 2.5lb for a 2.5lb extinguisher, with the same mounting bolt arrangement for the new bracket how is that not covered under preventive mx?

He wasn't adding it, he was replacing a existing one, if he swaps a 2.5lb for a 2.5lb extinguisher, with the same mounting bolt arrangement for the new bracket how is that not covered under preventive mx?
43-A (c ) 1-31 is it there?
Is he an A&P making a minor modification?
or
Is he an owner adding some thing?

43-A (c ) 1-31 is it there?
Is he an A&P making a minor modification?
or
Is he an owner adding some thing?

He's not adding anything, he's replacing/servicing something, no complex disassembly, nor any major systems involved.

I think I already quoted the relevant aspects of the FAR.

He's not adding anything, he's replacing/servicing something, no complex disassembly, nor any major systems involved.

Except he is drilling a couple of new holes. Depending on where the holes are, if it is in some sort of critical structure, it might be an issue. Personally, I would just install it and be done with it.

Except he is drilling a couple of new holes. Depending on where the holes are, if it is in some sort of critical structure, it might be an issue. Personally, I would just install it and be done with it.

I missed the part about the drill, meh yeah, not sure I'd go that route.

Strange too, in my experience the holes on the brackets are all normally uniform enough for the same sized extinguishers.

I believe the term “hangar fairy” applies.

I would try to drill holes in or otherwise modify the bracket first if possible.

was replacing a existing one
FYI: the feds define "replacement" as removing one item and installing a like item. In this case, it's a different extinguisher and weighs 2lbs more which puts it in the minor alteration category.

Thank God that the FAA protects us from replacing a dry chemical extinguisher with Halon. This really makes me wish I owned a type certificated aircraft.

Dear O.P. stick it in place with duct tape. The FAA will be down with that.

FYI: the feds define "replacement" as removing one item and installing a like item. In this case, it's a different extinguisher and weighs 2lbs more which puts it in the minor alteration category.

Doubt the different agent matters, the weight and drill on the other hand.

And what section allows him to replace "something" I think calling a fire extinguisher a fastener is a stretch. You can replace fasteners, not what they fasten.

Bob

You can replace tires, bearings, oil, seat fabric, lights etc.

No major systems, no major assembly, no big deal.

But I would not change the size or drill holes in the OPs case

Can owners do minor alterations?

Like I've said,If the A&P wants an entry, let them make it. that's all it requires to make this legal, but the owner/operator can't do it in this case.

You can replace tires, bearings, oil, seat fabric, lights etc.

No major systems, no major assembly, no big deal.

But I would not change the size or drill holes in the OPs case

its really simple, you can do the 31 operations listed in the appendix. I don't see replacing a fire extinguisher bracket in that list.

bob

its really simple, you can do the 31 operations listed in the appendix. I don't see replacing a fire extinguisher bracket in that list.

bob

#26 replacement or adjustment of nonstructural standard fasteners incidental to operations.

He is replacing or adjusting fastners securing fire extinguisher, clearly they are non structural.

That old chemical fire extinguisher from 1972 was bothering us :eek:so i bought a newer Halon one instead. The new one is a bit larger diameter but still fits the old bracket...but its pretty snug. And more importantly this one weighs more by almost 2lbs. So I would prefer to use the new bracket which has two bands, especially for any nasty turbulence.

So can the owner install the bracket? I can reuse two screws but need to drill 2 more.

I suspect someone with IA will be required so maybe its best to use the old bracket until our A&P can do it. It will need a new W&B too i guess. Maybe im answering my own question. But this also seems to fall under the category of a simple assembly and of a more owner maintenance like category.

It depends where it is being installed and how. The legal route would be to have a mech install it as a minor mod (assuming it isn't going onto the spar or some other primary structure).

#26 replacement or adjustment of nonstructural standard fasteners incidental to operations.

He is replacing or adjusting fastners securing fire extinguisher, clearly they are non structural.
Except according to the original post, he needs to drill two new holes. What I am not sure of is if those holes would be in something that is considered structural. So it really isn’t clearly non structural.

Except according to the original post, he needs to drill two new holes. What I am not sure of is if those holes would be in something that is considered structural. So it really isn’t clearly non structural.

That.

Removing and replacing a like bracket and extinguisher using the same mounting holes, that's preventive, I did it myself I would be comfy standing behind it with a fed.

But when you start using a larger enxtinigusher and changing the mounting by drilling holes, that IMO goes from owner preventive MX to call your friendly local AP.

It depends where it is being installed and how. The legal route would be to have a mech install it as a minor mod (assuming it isn't going onto the spar or some other primary structure).
When an A&P makes an entry in the maintenance record, the FAA see's that as if he did the job.

When an A&P makes an entry in the maintenance record, the FAA see's that as if he did the job.

I am very careful with what I put my name to, just for that reason.

That.

Removing and replacing a like bracket and extinguisher using the same mounting holes, that's preventive, I did it myself I would be comfy standing behind it with a fed.

But when you start using a larger enxtinigusher and changing the mounting by drilling holes, that IMO goes from owner preventive MX to call your friendly local AP.

Which is why in an earlier post I said he should modify the bracket instead, he can drill, weld, bend as necessary.

Not one post arguing about the needed change to the W&B from the heavier extinguisher?

OP realized that in first post.

Which is why in an earlier post I said he should modify the bracket instead, he can drill, weld, bend as necessary.

Or just send the oversized one back and get the correct one with what is likely a plug and play bracket

If adding the new extinguisher improves the safety of your airplane? That should be the driving force, not some arbitrary, silly restriction by an antiquated government agency. Nobody will scrutinize your log books to try to determime whether your extinguisher bracket has 2 screws or 4, what type of extinguishing agent it uses, or whether it weighs 1# or 2#.

They do not stop you from replacing any thing.. but they do have rules for doing the maintenance.
You are right. The FAA isn't totally preventing you from doing it - they are just making it as stupid and expensive as possible.

35 posts and counting about a stupid simple thing like punching two holes in the baggage floor sheet metal.

An extinguisher that the pilot can’t reach and easily release while flying isn’t very useful.

Back