Can owner install different fire extinguisher bracket?

From AC43.13;1B, Chapter 10, Section 1:

c. Negligible Weight Change is any
change of one pound or less for aircraft whose
weight empty is less than 5,000 pounds; two
pounds or less for aircraft whose weight empty
is more than 5,000 and 50,000 pounds; and
five pounds or less for aircraft whose weight
empty is more than 50,000 pounds. Negligible
c. g. change is any change of less than 0.05%
MAC for fixed wing aircraft, 0.2 percent of the
maximum allowable c. g. range for rotary wing
aircraft.
Cessna has a maintenance manual, read it it gives what a required as far as W&B.

From CAR3-
§ 3.73 Empty weight. The empty weight and corresponding center of gravity location shall include all fixed ballast, the unusable fuel supply (see § 3.437), undrainable oil, full engine coolant, and hydraulic fluid. The weight and location of items of equipment installed when the airplane is weighed shall be noted in the Airplane Flight Manual.

From CFR23-
§ 23.1589 Loading information.
The following loading information must be furnished:

(a) The weight and location of each item of equipment that can be easily removed, relocated, or replaced and that is installed when the airplane was weighed under the requirement of § 23.25.

Perhaps we should start a new thread as this one has drifted into the next county…

The TCDS does not address individual A/C
I’m afraid it does and by S/N. From the Cessna 170 TCDS A-799:

I. Model 170, 4 PCLM (Normal Category), Approved June 1, 1948; 2 PCLM (Utility Category), Approved July 12, 1948

Serial Nos. Eligible 18000 through 18729

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/6b274d3fca582c0586257ed20071150e/$FILE/A-799_Rev_55.pdf

The 170 TCDS [...] But it does not say that you must carry that list or any other list of equipment in the aircraft.
For the third time, in black and white, from the FAA website, TCDS A-799, Page 15 ...

"NOTE 1: Current weight and balance report including list of equipment included in certificated empty weight … must be in each aircraft at the time of original certification and at all times thereafter…"

You can’t get any more direct than that. So it brings up another question….

How do you, as an IA, sign off a Cessna 170 for an annual inspection as airworthy if the aircraft does not conform to its airworthiness requirements per its Type Certificate as stated in the TCDS A-799 and the applicable FARs without an equipment list onboard?

How do you, as an IA, sign off a Cessna 170 for an annual inspection as airworthy if the aircraft does not conform to its airworthiness requirements per its Type Certificate as stated in the TCDS A-799 and the applicable FARs without an equipment list onboard?

Simple they comply.

Simple they comply.
Good answer. Didn't realize the Seattle FSDO gave local A&P/IAs exemptions to the FARs. Will have to remember that in future discussions....

Good answer. Didn't realize the Seattle FSDO gave local A&P/IAs exemptions to the FARs. Will have to remember that in future discussions....
you know better than that.

Well to bring this back on topic...and some irony.

About two weeks ago, after all this snow cleared and it started warming up I went to look at drilling a couple holes in the new fire extinguisher bracket to match the existing holes on the aircraft and thereby not alter anything on the plane. So, I tried to remove the screws holding the old bracket on and they would not come out. Either they were mega torqued...or...it is as if they are somehow crimped where the threads stick out. And there are also these two small studs sticking out the aluminum cross brace as if the old fire extinguisher bracket was also riveted/tack welded in somehow.

So that pretty much said...don't 'f with anything and think about this a bit more.

Meanwhile my wonderful wife says: "Hey its not cold out any more, I call the Skylane Saturday morning." Being the cool guy I am I say "Awesome babe." (and then turn and say "Ah crap, had it all to myself this winter :()

Now my wife isn't that tall...she'll say she's average height :) You can see where this is going...she couldn't move the seat far enough forward. My software brain has to think about 17 minutes longer than the average caveman...LIGHTBULB...it must be something I changed....that dang fire extinguisher. Sure enough its about 3" longer and hits the metal airvent below the side pocket. And limits the travel just enough that she can't adjust the seat far enough ahead.

So, I have three options:

1.) Mount the Extinctor (trying my Spanish there LOL) somewhere else - nope we want it under the pilot seat and I don't want to move it any more inboard as we put stuff between the seats, etc.

2.) Find a new wife/pilot with longer legs :rolleyes: .... :(

3.) Sell this awesome Halon extinguisher (because its beyond 30 days) and get the smaller one....that I should have gotten in the first place :mad:

Back