Can I See Airline Cockpits Anymore?

I have a TSA Issued Credential card called a "TWIC" (Transportation worker's id card) that I had to get in order to apply for a Coast Guard Captain's License. Had to pass a full background check, get my fingerprints and etc... (more incentive not to ever rob a liquor store)

Anyone know if this card is worth anything at an airport? I envision myself flashing this ID to the TSA workers just as I am about to be groped "no touchy"

I highly doubt it. Crew/airport ID is about the only thing that... well, to be honest, that doesn't save you from the "stop! I need an adult!" routine. Everyone gets groped.

...sez the guy named Rex Kramer. What a coincidence! :rofl:

Hah, good point.. :D

PM it to me.

Sorry to have left so fast last night.... Went out with the flight attendant. I'm done with my 4 day today so I'll pm it tonight..... This isn't one of those things that the other mods can see is it? I just want to make sure it is controlled cause even if it sounds silly people have lost their jobs over lesser things.

Bob

Here is a crazy question:

I have not flown (commercial) since 2005.

I have a flight coming up here in about two weeks, SFO to GRR (quick layover in ORD where I may have to run to the other plane to make it).

My question is this:

A) If I wait until all of the passengers get off the plane at my final destination (GRR) and I ask the airline stewardess nicely, what are the chances she'll let me see the cockpit?
Probably pretty good.
B ) Will the answer to question "A" change if I can show a private pilot certificate? Or any paperwork? Not sure if I will still be a student by then. I might be a real pilot.

Please let me know what you think.
I was on a flight into Oakland a few months ago and was looking out the window on final. I saw a green laser dancing around which then centered on my window momentarily and was pretty damn bright.

After the flight I asked the flight attendant if I could talk to the pilots about the laser and she said go ahead. We talked about it for 5 minutes and they had been lasered and reported it as well. I gave them a rough position as to where I thought it was and mentioned to them that I was a pilot but that certainly wasn't a requirement to talk with them.

The TSA rule
Which TSA regulation says that? The closest I can find in 49 CFR Chapter XII is:
TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER XII--TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
HOMELAND SECURITY

PART 1544_AIRCRAFT OPERATOR SECURITY: AIR CARRIERS AND COMMERCIAL
OPERATORS--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Operations

Sec. 1544.237 Flight deck privileges.

(a) For each aircraft that has a door to the flight deck, each
aircraft operator must restrict access to the flight deck as provided in
its security program.
So, while it's entirely possible that Bob's company has such restrictions against cockpit visits before start/after shutdown in its security program, it's also possible that Bob's company is the only one which does. Personally, I think this sounds like a policy which Bob's company incorporated in their FOM for their own reasons.

B ) Will the answer to question "A" change if I can show a private pilot certificate? Or any paperwork? Not sure if I will still be a student by then. I might be a real pilot.

Kimberly, you're already a real pilot - at least since you soloed! Don't minimize that accomplishment.

I have a TSA Issued Credential card called a "TWIC" (Transportation worker's id card) that I had to get in order to apply for a Coast Guard Captain's License. Had to pass a full background check, get my fingerprints and etc... (more incentive not to ever rob a liquor store)

Anyone know if this card is worth anything at an airport? I envision myself flashing this ID to the TSA workers just as I am about to be groped "no touchy"

No. Even truck drivers need a TWIC card to get access to certain ports to pick up a load. It's essentially worthless, a feel-good job security enhancing bureaucracy growing exercise for the TSA.

No. Even truck drivers need a TWIC card to get access to certain ports to pick up a load. It's essentially worthless, a feel-good job security enhancing bureaucracy growing exercise for the TSA.

That sucks. It cost me $135. I was absolutely livid when I found out how expensive it was :mad2:

The TSA "office" I had to go to was a craphole. Some kid in a graphic T who looked 16 years old was the only one working there.

You ARE flying home, right?? No time pressure on the return trip??

Not true. I arrive home late and have family picking me up, so I would not want to keep them waiting. But maybe during the layover on the way home. You are right, though; I have 4 planes to ride. I doubt I could be turned down FOUR times.

Not true. I arrive home late and have family picking me up, so I would not want to keep them waiting. But maybe during the layover on the way home. You are right, though; I have 4 planes to ride. I doubt I could be turned down FOUR times.

I doubt you'll be turned down once.

(Unless you ride Colgan apparently...? I've never heard of an airline having a policy of not allowing visitors to the cockpit at the gate.)

What is Malibu'd?
A long time ago, someone created the identity of "Lady Malibu" on the Red board, pretending to be a Hollywood actress who didn't want her identity revealed, but dropped a lot of hints including some cropped pictures from a real actress' web site. Eventually "her" identity was blown, and AOPA threw the perpetrator off the site, but a lot of folks were burned by the fraud.

Bill's reference to my legs relates to a picture "she" posted of the real actress' very atractive legs, prompting me to post a picture of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's massively muscular legs purporting them to be mine (IIRC, someone recognized them as Mr. Austin's). I later posted a picture of my real legs -- far less impressive, and attracting a number of appropriately derisive comments from the crowd.

Last edited:
A) If I wait until all of the passengers get off the plane at my final destination (GRR) and I ask the airline stewardess nicely, what are the chances she'll let me see the cockpit?

A couple years ago I flew to Denver with my wife and 4 year old son. As we boarded the flight attendant at the door asked my son "would you like to visit the cockpit?" I stood there vigorously nodding my head, but my it was my son's first flight so he was being kind of shy. So I did the walk of sadness back to our seats. :(

So apparently it's not out of the question as long as the plane isn't flying.

A long time ago, someone created the identity of "Lady Malibu" on the Red board, pretending to be a Hollywood actress who didn't want her identity revealed, but dropped a lot of hints including some cropped pictures from a real actress' web site. Eventually "her" identity was blown, and AOPA threw the perpetrator off the site, but a lot of folks were burned by the fraud.

Bill's reference to my legs relates to a picture "she" posted of the real actress' very atractive legs, prompting me to post a picture of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's massively muscular legs purporting them to be mine (IIRC, someone recognized them as Mr. Austin's). I later posted a picture of my real legs -- far less impressive, and attracting a number of appropriately derisive comments from the crowd.

That is hilarious. This is from 2006:

329506599_dab685ebf4_o.jpg

So if these are my real legs, are you going to post your real legs now too?

Sorry -- only way for you to find out involves me getting shot when I get home. Y'all have fun at EdFred's fly-in. Heck, Ed's seen my legs -- ask him about them.

I will place this question on the agenda for discussion the next time I talk to him.

Action Item One: Ask about legs.

Kimberly, A good friend of mine got to go into a cockpit of some commercial jet in Boston and the captain even got out of his seat and took a picture of her w/ her phone while she sat in his seat ! I couldn't believe it but he did.... It's a great picture too - She's a white haired grandma looking woman sitting in that seat w/ a big grin.
Sure can't hurt to ask them - it'll either be "sure come and look" or
"No, Sorry Ma'am civilians are not allowed"

This sounds like an awesome photo. I normally don't let anyone take my picture but this may be an exception.

Maybe she's not planning on using her return ticket... :rofl:

Sorry, Kent. I have hired a dog sitter who would be a bit confused if I didn't show up at her house the next day to get my dog. I am indeed planning on using my ticket.

(Or maybe I bought two tickets - not everyone can fit in just one seat.)

That sucks. It cost me $135. I was absolutely livid when I found out how expensive it was :mad2:

The TSA "office" I had to go to was a craphole. Some kid in a graphic T who looked 16 years old was the only one working there.

Try the TSA's Alien Flight Student Program. Take your Private, that's $130. Change instructors half way through, that's $130. Immediately go to take your Instrument...$130. Take more than a year to finish...you guessed it...$130. Multi...another $130.

A long time ago, someone created the identity of "Lady Malibu" on the Red board

In fact, it was so long ago, the Red Board hadn't ripened yet (it was still yellow). :rofl:

This is from 2006:

329506599_dab685ebf4_o.jpg

So if these are my real legs, are you going to post your real legs now too?

I'll post a whole picture of me if you'll post that whole picture. :D

Which TSA regulation says that? The closest I can find in 49 CFR Chapter XII is:
So, while it's entirely possible that Bob's company has such restrictions against cockpit visits before start/after shutdown in its security program, it's also possible that Bob's company is the only one which does. Personally, I think this sounds like a policy which Bob's company incorporated in their FOM for their own reasons.

Mr. Ron, no offense, but when I mentioned that it was controlled information I meant that it was not found in public documents. I dot have them before me and I get home in a few hours so I can have access to them but that is not the same section as the reg I'm recalling from the TSA.

Mr. Ron, no offense, but when I mentioned that it was controlled information I meant that it was not found in public documents. I dot have them before me and I get home in a few hours so I can have access to them but that is not the same section as the reg I'm recalling from the TSA.
I don't think there are any secret TSA regulations. They have some classified procedures, and some classified policies, but I don't believe any part of the CFR are classified.

I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems like the answer was covered in what I read on the first page, I just figured I'd throw my $.002 in.

As a (now-former) airline captain, odds are yes, you will be able to see the cockpit. It could happen before the flight, but you'd probably be better off to ask after. So long as it's not the last flight of the day for the crew (in which case they may be gone by the time the last pax are off), they're likely to be a lot more laid back and have more time to spare (and be able to get out of the cockpit themselves) after the flight than they can during boarding (when the entry way is usually pretty jammed).

In my few years with the airline I lost count of the number of people I had up front between flights. Felix can tell you something about that.

If you're really bold, ask them to hit the stick shaker test for you! :-D

Here is a crazy question:

I have not flown (commercial) since 2005.

I have a flight coming up here in about two weeks, SFO to GRR (quick layover in ORD where I may have to run to the other plane to make it).

My question is this:

As the flight is boarding, actually if you ask at preboard, I've got a $5 bill says you make it onto the flight deck. You used to be able to snag a jumpseat every now and then on just a pilots cert, but not any more.

Yep, the TWIC card is on the list, although I do have to point out occasionally...:rolleyes:

Back