Can I See Airline Cockpits Anymore?

I haven't read the whole thread, but it seems like the answer was covered in what I read on the first page, I just figured I'd throw my $.002 in.

As a (now-former) airline captain, odds are yes, you will be able to see the cockpit. It could happen before the flight, but you'd probably be better off to ask after. So long as it's not the last flight of the day for the crew (in which case they may be gone by the time the last pax are off), they're likely to be a lot more laid back and have more time to spare (and be able to get out of the cockpit themselves) after the flight than they can during boarding (when the entry way is usually pretty jammed).

In my few years with the airline I lost count of the number of people I had up front between flights. Felix can tell you something about that.

If you're really bold, ask them to hit the stick shaker test for you! :-D

Stick shaker test? Can they do that on a 757? What is it? Sounds mildly inappropriate.

I hadn't clarified so I wanted to... I'm talking about going up during boarding and during deplaning. Pre board or set it up during the flight to see if u can go up after the flight.

Stick shaker test? Can they do that on a 757? What is it? Sounds mildly inappropriate.

Yup, 757 has it. Pretty much everything in the 121 world does (except for Airbusii with the side-stick and Beech 1900s). As Henning said, normal first flight of the day test item, but fun to shock/amuse the uninitiated at any time of day.

Sorry to have left so fast last night.... Went out with the flight attendant. I'm done with my 4 day today so I'll pm it tonight..... This isn't one of those things that the other mods can see is it? I just want to make sure it is controlled cause even if it sounds silly people have lost their jobs over lesser things.

Bob

Then, curious, why are you stating on a public forum that you're sharing it with anyone? :dunno:

Sorry to have left so fast last night.... Went out with the flight attendant. I'm done with my 4 day today so I'll pm it tonight..... This isn't one of those things that the other mods can see is it? I just want to make sure it is controlled cause even if it sounds silly people have lost their jobs over lesser things.

Bob

Then, curious, why are you stating on a public forum that you're sharing it with anyone? :dunno:
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Sharing with Greg is much different than sharing with just anyone :). The security section of most FOM's are just copy and paste pages from the TSA stuff. Sharing controlled information with someone who has the same controlled information :)

I don't think there are any secret TSA regulations. They have some classified procedures, and some classified policies, but I don't believe any part of the CFR are classified.

Now that I'm home finally :).....

The rules I'm thinking of are part of a TSA designed program.... Aircraft Operator Standard Security System.

From the part of the book I can share openly (paraphrasing)

Anyone can be admitted to the flight deck as long as they have the PIC's permission along with the Company's permission and the FAA's permission. Those who are allowed access may not do so during enplanement and deplaning per the TSA program established for commercial operators. The ASSOP, as recieved by the TSA, has been established as our security manual.

Bob

Bob will like this (and I dare him to use it on a future "welcome to our airplane" announcement)

"No matter how many frequent flier miles you accumulate, they will never upgrade you to Pilot.".
Dickie Smothers, The Smothers Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEiU-8gx0hc

A) If I wait until all of the passengers get off the plane at my final destination (GRR) and I ask the airline stewardess nicely, what are the chances she'll let me see the cockpit?

Well, you'll get a lot farther if you don't call her stewardess. They hate that. Also, it's not her cockpit to show. You could ask her if you could speak to the guys up front and she might let you.

B ) Will the answer to question "A" change if I can show a private pilot certificate? Or any paperwork? Not sure if I will still be a student by then. I might be a real pilot.

The paperwork won't get you anywhere. Most of the if someone pops their head up front we will shoot the breeze with them.

To be honest about the PPL, you're more likely to be scoffed at by whipping out a ticket than just saying "I fly too, always wanted to see up front." or something along those lines.

I was once written up by a PPL holder back when I was flying turboprops for not doing a runup before leaving STL one afternoon.

We landed and Mr. PPL came charging up to the cockpit babbling about safety and this and that. Told us he was sending a letter to the company. Sure enough, he did. Got called into the Chief Pilots office and we all had a good laugh.

Just ask. Be nice. Most likely, they'll let you look around.

Yup, 757 has it. Pretty much everything in the 121 world does (except for Airbusii with the side-stick and Beech 1900s). As Henning said, normal first flight of the day test item, but fun to shock/amuse the uninitiated at any time of day.

I always ask the kids if they want to see the machine guns and let the shaker fly.. ;)

Kimberly ...

Can you remember when you did a power on stall how the control wheel bucked and snorted just before the break? Unfortunately the swept wing aircraft in passenger service do not do that little shake of the control wheel just prior to stall, so aircraft like that have a little motor attached to the "stick" that the control wheel is mounted to. When the angle of attack gets to that last critical couple of degrees prior to that aluminum monster stalling, the motor activates and shakes the control column "stick" to alert the flight crew that something bad is about to happen.

The airline term for that whole system is called the "stick shaker". It is only inappropriate if you fly for Air France and don't believe that the stick shaker, the airspeed indicator, and the artificial horizon are all telling you that you've crossed that line and the airplane is going to come down at a rapid rate unless you do something about it. :yesnod:

Jim

For Kim -

Just wanted to say that you come up with some of the best threads... I think I've lost a whole week of my life reading them and the little comment wars that ensue!

:thumbsup:

Henning, can you please elaborate on this??
I think what Henning means is that the TWIC is an acceptable substitute for a drivers license at the ID check entering boarding area. But it has no more value than that, and will definitely not get you cockpit access once they close the door.

I think what Henning means is that the TWIC is an acceptable substitute for a drivers license at the ID check entering boarding area. But it has no more value than that, and will definitely not get you cockpit access once they close the door.

I told them I was not a terrorist and they took my fingerprints

I looked it up myself and I found this as well. Was hoping it would be worth the gold treatment "oh, a twic card holder, right this way mr VIP" but if I used it at a checkpoint I would probably get "Oh, this guy thinks he's special, open the door to the cavity search room :yikes: "

psssst.... The B+ models are finally here :yesnod::goofy:

Henning, can you please elaborate on this??

Thanks

At the ID console of the Security line, they have a list of approved IDs, the TWIC card is on that list. Most of them know what it is anymore. I also point out on the back where it's issued by TSA. I also have an LBO (Local Boater Option) number with which I can clear both customs and immigration with an inbound US flag boat with one phone call. No more presenting myself to CBP to clear in. So, I've been already fully vetted by both CBP and TSA (not to mention others), can't I just use a biometric portal with my biometric card?

For Kim -

Just wanted to say that you come up with some of the best threads... I think I've lost a whole week of my life reading them and the little comment wars that ensue!

:thumbsup:

Um - thanks? I think. But remember, threads drift and have a mind of their own. After a point, the OP almost has nothing to do with it anymore.

Um - thanks? I think. But remember, threads drift and have a mind of their own. After a point, the OP almost has nothing to do with it anymore.

Like now? I'm sure you have nothing to do with the regulation chat that has been happening... You can learn a lot from thread drift, I think, just have to choose which drifter to believe :D

Like now? I'm sure you have nothing to do with the regulation chat that has been happening... You can learn a lot from thread drift, I think, just have to choose which drifter to believe :D

Everything read on the internet must be taken with a grain of salt. As I have learned since earlier this year, and participating in two aviation forums, many pilots + one topic = many opinions.

LOL.. Yeh, I guess that's the better answer, eh?

I'm 9E..

:):), when all is said and done we will be Mesaba operating under the Colgan certificate :lol:

easier to get the Saabs under one operating certificate then trying to put the Q400 on an operating certificate that only has Saabs - all the recertifying and paperwork redundancy (since already done with 9L certificate) would be way more expensive then adding a couple 5 more or so bases.

Weeeeeeee :goofy:

Back