Can I See Airline Cockpits Anymore?

I doubt you'll be turned down once.

(Unless you ride Colgan apparently...? I've never heard of an airline having a policy of not allowing visitors to the cockpit at the gate.)

They can, the TSA just doesn't want a bunch of people trying to get on or off when you let them up there. The stipulation being boarding must stop until the person is up front and the FA able to gaurd the entry again, and only one person at a time. All part of the unparaphrased ASSOP program :)

You'll have to forgive me for going out so quickly the other day.... I couldn't help but want to spend time with the FA out around the city :D:D
PictureorVideo575.jpg

Crossing my fingers she'll change her mind on her pilot (non) dating policy :D

They can, the TSA just doesn't want a bunch of people trying to get on or off when you let them up there. The stipulation being boarding must stop until the person is up front and the FA able to gaurd the entry again, and only one person at a time. All part of the unparaphrased ASSOP program :)

You'll have to forgive me for going out so quickly the other day.... I couldn't help but want to spend time with the FA out around the city :D:D
PictureorVideo575.jpg

I thought you have a girlfriend?

I did, but not anymore. Seeing each other once every two weeks wasn't good for either of us. She was awesome, but maybe just a little too dependant of a lady to be dating a pilot :dunno:. I didn't really want to break up, but sometimes being a pilot has a downside :(

:):), when all is said and done we will be Mesaba operating under the Colgan certificate :lol:

easier to get the Saabs under one operating certificate then trying to put the Q400 on an operating certificate that only has Saabs - all the recertifying and paperwork redundancy (since already done with 9L certificate) would be way more expensive then adding a couple 5 more or so bases.

Weeeeeeee :goofy:

Yeh, the name had to go somewhere after the crash.. Welcome to the party, should be a wild ride. ;) At least you guys get the iPad's before we do. :D

Looks like 9L gets a better pick of FA's than 9E does.. We are solidly in 4G country over here.

I did, but not anymore. Seeing each other once every two weeks wasn't good for either of us. She was awesome, but maybe just a little too dependant of a lady to be dating a pilot :dunno:. I didn't really want to break up, but sometimes being a pilot has a downside :(

Reminds me of a joke:

Q: What do pilots use for birth control?

A: Their personality.

You ever heard of a Bugatti Vayron? Beats your 310 by 50 knots and it's street-legal.

I was referring to the Subaru, it's geared too low to do much over 160mph with 530hp.
The Volkswagon Veyron though will do 250 MPH on a cold day where as I get 10 MPH less on half the horsepower.

I raced a Ferrari GTO with my Travelair from Long Beach to Vegas once. I had long finished dinner and was mingling at the bar when he finally rolled up, and I flew that plane at 147kts and 16gph.

The Volkswagon Veyron
Yes, VW owns Bugatti, but that beast is a Bugatti.

...though will do 250 MPH on a cold day
The latest model does over 260 (James May proved it on Top Gear), and the older one did 250+ in Abu Dhabi (with Richard Hammond driving), where a cold day is about room temperature here. However, they seem to be careful who they'll let drive it -- I don't think Clarkson's been behind the wheel yet.

where as I get 10 MPH less on half the horsepower.
240 mph in level flight in a 310? This I gotta see.

Reminds me of a joke:

Q: What do pilots use for birth control?

A: Their personality.

Ouch... well, despite my personality she really liked me :).

Your joke reminded me of another joke...

Being an airline pilot would be great if it wasn't for all these trips :D:D

The latest model does over 260 (James May proved it on Top Gear), and the older one did 250+ in Abu Dhabi (with Richard Hammond driving), where a cold day is about room temperature here. However, they seem to be careful who they'll let drive it -- I don't think Clarkson's been behind the wheel yet.

Sure, no sweat, that's 210kts. If I want to put 36gph through it at 3500', it'll do 210. My static empty weight weight is about 1000lbs lighter than the Veyron. The difference would spread even further if the Veyron held an hour's worth of fuel, which if operated continuously at top speed, it doesn't have close to. I'd only need 50 gallons and that's with reserves. The key difference is dynamic weight, the Veyron develops pretty healthy down force which all takes HP to overcome.

As for the provenance of they Veyron, pure Volkswagon.
Designed and developed by the German Volkswagen Group and produced by Bugatti Automobiles SAS at their headquarters in Château Saint Jean in Molsheim (Alsace, France), the Veyron's chief designer was Hartmut Warkuss, and the exterior was designed by Jozef Kabaň of Volkswagen,

On 22 December 2000, Volkswagen officially incorporated Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S., with former VW drivetrain chief Karl-Heinz Neumann as president. The company purchased the 1856 Château Saint Jean, formerly Ettore Bugatti's guest house in Dorlisheim, near Molsheim, and began refurbishing it to serve as the company's headquarters. The original factory was still in the hands of Snecma, who were unwilling to part with it. At the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August 2000, VW announced that they would instead build a new modern atelier (factory) next to and south of the Château. The atelier was officially inaugurated on 3 September 2005

Last edited:
Sure, no sweat, that's 210kts. SNIP

Are you seriously trying to compare the virtues of your 310 to a Veyron? :confused:

I could take my friends Champ and race 99.9% of road cars to almost any reasonable distance and win.

Straight line distance - FTW.

LOL.. I used to have the same sticker on my roller bag. :)

I don't think there are any secret TSA regulations. They have some classified procedures, and some classified policies, but I don't believe any part of the CFR are classified.

It might not be classified, but it might be SSI.

It might not be classified, but it might be SSI.

Don't see how when the CFR is published in the open record. BTW, most Americans take for granted the nice efficient way our laws are codified. Go to some other countries and try to look up their laws...:eek::confused::mad2:

Clarkson drove the Veyron too, raced May in a Cessna 182 from somewhere in Italy back to London. May lost because he wasn't allowed to fly at night.

Which one is you? I was just training to be a ref so they didn't let me pose for any pictures on my team.

Well, I guess I should come clean. I'm not really a Roller Girl. By roller bag, I meant my luggage at work. :)

Cool. Roller Derby is fun to watch. We used to go every now and then to watch. :)

Reactor_LIP.png

These are the plates, made of ultra-lightweight extruded aluminum with high polished trucks featuring urethane cushions, click adjustment, and metal ball pivots. These plates are made to perform at the highest level.

I also have of course a pair of artistic skates for figure skating (yes roller skaters do figure skating).

Reactor_LIP.png

These are the plates, made of ultra-lightweight extruded aluminum with high polished trucks featuring urethane cushions, click adjustment, and metal ball pivots. These plates are made to perform at the highest level.

I also have of course a pair of artistic skates for figure skating (yes roller skaters do figure skating).

Did your landlord have a problem when you redecorated the apartment with shag carpeting that also goes 1/2 way up that walls?

Did your landlord have a problem when you redecorated the apartment with shag carpeting that also goes 1/2 way up that walls?

No, though my roller rink looks like that. My studio apartment only has carpet on the FLOOR and it is not shag, thank you. I have not violated my lease agreement in any way, shape, or form.....

But then again, you haven't been to California yet.....

No, though my roller rink looks like that. My studio apartment only has carpet on the FLOOR and it is not shag, thank you. I have not violated my lease agreement in any way, shape, or form.....

But then again, you haven't been to California yet.....

Why, does your lease agreement have a limit on the amount of awesomeness that can be in your apartment?

Why, does your lease agreement have a limit on the amount of awesomeness that can be in your apartment?
Because California's mission is to destroy fun.

No - it has a MINIMUM requirement. You must be at least "this awesome" to enter my apartment.

Sorry, perhaps we should get you a hotel outside of city limits. My apartment is placarded against Michigonians.

I had a good laugh this morning. I had several windows tabbed and when I opened this thread I went back to look at some TERPs discussion stuff. When I looked back up the window tab had shorted then name of this to... Can I see Airline C----.

I couldn't help but laugh a good long while at that one.

Kim when you go on the 757 as them if they have the Rolls Royce engines. Those are the really powerful ones. If you want a souvenier and the crew doesn't mind at all --- ask them if you can have the release. They can't give it to you until after the flight, but if you get to go look at the cockpit before the flight, ask them if you can have it.

That reminds me -- General question for the masses. I kept a release from a cancled flight to do something sorta like this but I finally got the a-ok from management types. Would anyone be interested in seeing one of our releases and a short explination of the stuff on them?

I had a good laugh this morning. I had several windows tabbed and when I opened this thread I went back to look at some TERPs discussion stuff. When I looked back up the window tab had shorted then name of this to... Can I see Airline C----.

Kim when you go on the 757 as them if they have the Rolls Royce engines. Those are the really powerful ones. If you want a souvenier and the crew doesn't mind at all --- ask them if you can have the release. They can't give it to you until after the flight, but if you get to go look at the cockpit before the flight, ask them if you can have it.

That reminds me -- General question for the masses. I kept a release from a cancled flight to do something sorta like this but I finally got the a-ok from management types. Would anyone be interested in seeing one of our releases and a short explination of the stuff on them?

Whats a release?

I seriously doubt you'll find a flightcrew willing to hand over a release, or any other company paperwork to a complete stranger. :nono:

As far as publishing your company release on the internet, you will have to redact some information on there. I wouldn't think your company would be too appreciative of an employee posting internal company info on the internet.

Whats a release?

14 CFR Part 121, Subpart U Dispatching and Flight Release Rules

121.601 Aircraft dispatcher information to pilot in command: Domestic and flag operations.

(a) The aircraft dispatcher shall provide the pilot in command all available current reports or information on airport conditions and irregularities of navigation facilities that may affect the safety of the flight.
(b) Before beginning a flight, the aircraft dispatcher shall provide the pilot in command with all available weather reports and forecasts of weather phenomena that may affect the safety of flight, including adverse weather phenomena, such as clear air turbulence, thunderstorms, and low altitude wind shear, for each route to be flown and each airport to be used.
(c) During a flight, the aircraft dispatcher shall provide the pilot in command any additional available information of meteorological conditions (including adverse weather phenomena, such as clear air turbulence, thunderstorms, and low altitude wind shear), and irregularities of facilities and services that may affect the safety of the flight.

I seriously doubt you'll find a flightcrew willing to hand over a release, or any other company paperwork to a complete stranger. :nono:

As far as publishing your company release on the internet, you will have to redact some information on there. I wouldn't think your company would be too appreciative of an employee posting internal company info on the internet.

Strange, management gave me the go ahead... But I won't post it because you said not to and can speak for my company....

After all, It wouldn't make much sense to post training information online either, I suppose: http://www.mikemco.net/resources/Dispatch+Release+Red+Flags.pdf

I'm sure this guy was in a world of trouble and didn't ask his company either: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0_RTWUasp84/SjguaTEbX4I/AAAAAAAAE9k/BhmbijSu7cc/s1600-h/jfk5.jpg

Last edited:
Back