Can I log PIC - fantasy edition

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
You're sitting in seat 34C on a flight from ORD to LAX when the impossible happens. A flight attendant calls out "Does anyone know how to fly a plane?". The entire flight crew is incapacitated by some rapid food poisoning. Turns out that everyone but you and the flight attendant ate the chicken.

You shot the approach and land with most of the plane intact.

Assuming you're PP-ASEL w instrument but not type certified:
Can you log PIC?
If there was IMC, does the approach count towards your currency req?
Is this X-country too?

You're sitting in seat 34C on a flight from ORD to LAX when the impossible happens. A flight attendant calls out "Does anyone know how to fly a plane?". The entire flight crew is incapacitated by some rapid food poisoning. Turns out that everyone but you and the flight attendant ate the chicken.

Can you log PIC?
Is this X-country too?

Are you familiar with 14 CFR 61.51? You can't log anything, because you don't have cat/class/type. Hope you enjoyed the fish at least.

I am thinking the FAA would not really care what you logged as long as you are not counting the time to further a certificate or build time for a real flying job.

Now the FAA might frown on you standing at the cockpit door holding your hand out to solicit tips from the grateful passengers whose lives you saved....

I am thinking the FAA would not really care what you logged as long as you are not counting the time to further a certificate or build time for a real flying job.
Since that looked like a serious response...

...and it was clear from looking at your logbook without farther explanation that it was only a scrapbook entry.

Yeah, it sounds pretty obvious when it's a Boeing or Airbus but less so if it's your cousin's Aztec. if you are going to make scrapbook entries, might as well identify them in some way.

Too bad one of the crew wasn't a CFI and with it enough to work with you. Then you could at least log dual.

Oh now that's interesting. As a CFI, and I'm in seat 1A on this fantasty flight, but not really feeling like helping our ASEL friend because he looks like "he's got this" -- if I shout encouragement and make other instructor oinks like "CENTERLINE!" from the comfort of my seat while munching the stale peanuts on offer, do I get to log dual given?

I think this is a "yes" and I get to sign dudeman's book too, helping him on his currency reqs :D

Oh now that's interesting. As a CFI, and I'm in seat 1A on this fantasty flight, but not really feeling like helping our ASEL friend because he looks like "he's got this" -- if I shout encouragement and make other instructor oinks like "CENTERLINE!" from the comfort of my seat while munching the stale peanuts on offer, do I get to log dual given?

I think this is a "yes" and I get to sign dudeman's book too, helping him on his currency reqs :D
So you are a CFI with a type rating in this airplane? I'm impressed!

If I'm flying and a CFI is sitting right seat, I'm going to ask them to sign my book. After having the discussion a few months ago, and deciding "we'll fly again before your BFR comes due" only to have a job change, out of state move, AD issued on my plane, and everything else that came with this summer, I will ask for a BFR (and understand if the CFI is not OK with calling it that).

But if we are sitting in the same plane anyway, especially with my non-Legacy Airliner CFI friends, I want us both to log it because at minimum it may reduce our insurance rates, at max it may help them get their next flying job.

I picked up this habit with the Yankee specifically, because so many of my friends want a Tiger "some day" and my insurance did not differ between time in type for an AA1 and an AA5.

To answer the thread question, as I understand, there is no medical requirement to act as CFI, so I would be trying to convince one of the ATP rated pilots to log it as dual given, though I am not sure how successful that would be.

To answer the thread question, as I understand, there is no medical requirement to act as CFI, so I would be trying to convince one of the ATP rated pilots to log it as dual given, though I am not sure how successful that would be.

Wouldn't that expose the CFI to risks beyond their normal insurance coverage? What if I accidentally flat spotted the tires or had a tail strike?

Wouldn't that expose the CFI to risks beyond their normal insurance coverage? What if I accidentally flat spotted the tires or had a tail strike?

I have no idea, but I would still ask.

Now the FAA might frown on you standing at the cockpit door holding your hand out to solicit tips from the grateful passengers whose lives you saved....

this!

if I got stick time in a jet, it would be going in my log book! not as PIC....and not towards any requirements.... but yeah.... that is flight time I want to record and remember!
(as a SEL PPL holder, I have about 1.5 hours of Boeing 777 time in my logbook...a level D simulator that I was blessed to fly once, many years ago... so yeah, like that!)

Their ATP doesn't authorize them to give loggable instruction unless both you and they are part of their carrier's formal training program.

I’m happy to know I’m not the only one to daydream about this hypothetical situation

Personally I’d log it. It would be a fun discussion with any ASI who would like to talk about it. In the grand scheme of things, the pilot would likely get his logbook autographed anyway.

Since that looked like a serious response...

...and it was clear from looking at your logbook without farther explanation that it was only a scrapbook entry.

Yeah, it sounds pretty obvious when it's a Boeing or Airbus but less so if it's your cousin's Aztec. if you are going to make scrapbook entries, might as well identify them in some way.
Applicant: “You mean if someone asks me to copilot in their jet, I have to know there are training requirements?”
Me: “Apparently he wasn’t up front with you, but yes, you’re still responsible for knowledge of Part 61.”

Sole manipulator of the controls, acting in an emergency, yeah I'd log it. Now, if you stole the plane, and you aren't rated, you probably shouldn't log the time.

My question is, how many people have logged time like this as cross country private pilot when they were watching the movie in the back of that Southwest flight, but *thinking* about flying a plane. I'd bet a few... The walter mitty logbook people.

Eh. I probably have the most boring logbook on the forum.

Morbidly, if everyone on the plane was to actually die from eating the chicken, you COULD log PIC under 61.51e(1)(ii).

ou're sitting in seat 34C on a flight from ORD to LAX when the impossible happens. A flight attendant calls out "Does anyone know how to fly a plane?". The entire flight crew is incapacitated by some rapid food poisoning. Turns out that everyone but you and the flight attendant ate the chicken.

Can you log PIC?
Is this X-country too?

Absolutely you can log all of this as PIC, log the approach, and count as cross country. Of course your logbook that you log this in will disappear as soon as you awaken from the dream that you are having....

Morbidly, if everyone on the plane was to actually die from eating the chicken, you COULD log PIC under 61.51e(1)(ii).
Oh great. Not only will the insurance "have you ever" questions get weird, but I'll be stuck in years of depositions once the lawyers start feeding.

Back