Can I install G5 in certied airplane?

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
Few post down there is thread about G5. I thought this was approved for certified plane and I want to replace my vacuum AI with something electronic. Then I google it up on Garmin website and here is what it says :
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/514383
so it says for experimental and LSA . Whats the scoop?

If you will tell us what a "certied" or even a "certified" aircraft is I can answer your question. That term does not exist in the FAA lexicon.

Jim

Few post down there is thread about G5. I thought this was approved for certified plane and I want to replace my vacuum AI with something electronic. Then I google it up on Garmin website and here is what it says :
The page you linked to has another link that points to G5 for certificated airplanes.

I have the experimental version - great product.

If you will tell us what a "certied" or even a "certified" aircraft is I can answer your question. That term does not exist in the FAA lexicon.

Jim
An aircraft has a type certificate and to you that isn't certified? Really?

I never heard the word certificated until I started down the PPL (gasp, it's not actually a license!!!!) path and my vocabulary is fairly large. I don't fault anyone for using certified in its place.

The pedantry is real around these here parts sometimes.

I never heard the word certificated until I started down the PPL (gasp, it's not actually a license!!!!) path and my vocabulary is fairly large. I don't fault anyone for using certified in its place.

The pedantry is real what?

Jim
What happens when that part you're looking for at aircraft spruce is only available for certified airplanes and they're all out of certificated?

I know the difference between certified and certificated pilot.
When you pass checkride and the examiner tells you so, its certified pilot.
Then when you get the certificate in mail you become certificated !!!

Jim
I tried to edit this thing.
Its not letting me edit the title

Long story short, there is an AML STC to install a version of the G5, that has about half the functions of an unapproved G5, into Type Certificated aircraft. All of that data is available online except the letter of authorization to use the STC which is provided in the G5 kit.

(click dropdown box and locate the STC data)
https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01485-00&language=en&country=US

This is to install a G5 as a replacement attitude indicator to replace primary attitude or replace a turn coordinator, or replace turn & bank gyro. Read the instructions carefully and understand the installation limitations before committing.

There will be STC to install another G5 to replace direction gyro in the future, read the instructions carefully and understand the installation limitations before committing.

Last edited:
I know the difference between certified and certificated pilot.
When you pass checkride and the examiner tells you so, its certified pilot.
Then when you get the certificate in mail you become certificated !!!
When do you become certifiable? :)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

You all do understand that all aircraft have an airworthiness certificate, yes? Some of them the certificate says "Standard" and in others the certificate says "Experimental". There is a difference, y'know.

Jim

Close.......no Cigar. There are "Standard" and "Special" Airworthiness Certificates.

A "Standard" certificate can have these "categories:"
  • Transport
  • Commuter
  • Normal
  • Utility
  • Acrobatic
  • Manned free balloons
  • Special class of aircraft
A "Special" certificate can have these "categories:"
  • Primary
  • Restricted
  • Multiple
  • Limited
  • Light Sport
  • Experimental
  • Special flight permit
  • Provisional

I think it is good to go in a aircraft not used for 135 ops look up the kx155 nav com threads

You all do understand that all aircraft have an airworthiness certificate, yes? Some of them the certificate says "Standard" and in others the certificate says "Experimental". There is a difference, y'know.

Jim
Yes and some aircraft have type certificate which has already been pointed out to you. Not all aircraft have this type certificate but those that do typically are referred to as certified. Denial will get you nowhere her. Neither will obfuscation.

Yes and some aircraft have type certificate which has already been pointed out to you. Not all aircraft have this type certificate but those that do typically are referred to as certified. Denial will get you nowhere her. Neither will obfuscation.
No, but grammar and spelling will. Obfus ..obfusca... I'll bet you impress all the girls with big words like this.

Jim

No, but grammar and spelling will. Obfus ..obfusca... I'll bet you impress all the girls with big words like this.

Jim
Good luck continuing to show your ass here.

Jim you have a lot of knowledge but presuming to be a grammar and spelling curmudgeon gets you nowhere.

Jeeeez

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"I'm a bigger pedant than you are!" Apparently pedant and the other word sound so similar that there is confusion over what kind of measuring contest this is.

Yes you can, if your make/model is covered by the STC.

It's a really nice tool too... Here's mine.
upload_2017-5-1_20-18-27.png

Yes you can, if your make/model is covered by the STC.

It's a really nice tool too... Here's mine.

That is absolutely gorgeous. The only kvetch I have with Garmin is that they don't sell to anybody that doesn't do the install also. That cuts a lot of the folks I know out as they are good enough to do owner installs on anything short of a JT8-D.

Do you know what technology they are using for the display? I can't imagine anything other than LED that you can rotate the display and keep the same color during the rotation.

Jim

Jim
Yeah, we understand the difference. We just don't think it matters in this context. And criticizing his use of the word adds nothing to the conversation. It bothers me much more when people say "Loose" instead of "lose", but I let it go, unless the perp is criticizing someone else's grammar.

As the guy said, why do so many threads on POA have to go like this?

That is absolutely gorgeous. The only kvetch I have with Garmin is that they don't sell to anybody that doesn't do the install also. That cuts a lot of the folks I know out as they are good enough to do owner installs on anything short of a JT8-D.

Do you know what technology they are using for the display? I can't imagine anything other than LED that you can rotate the display and keep the same color during the rotation.

Jim

You might wanna look again. The G5 is not being marketed the same way as other approved Garmin equipment. You, the owner, or Joe Blow himself can order the STC kit from a favorite supplier and get everything needed to install it, tho may need to contract a repair station with equipment to ground test it.

How many AMUs to install?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Depends on what you fly and where you want it installed. Pipers have a problem moving the gyro AI to the TC spot because the AI depth is deeper than the TC. This requires the installer to move some things around behind the panel. A typical install is 1 AMU (plus the $2200 for the unit of course). Add more if you have a Piper (ask me how I know). It's pretty though (and very useful too).

20170414_084934_resized.jpg

Depends on what you fly and where you want it installed. Pipers have a problem moving the gyro AI to the TC spot because the AI depth is deeper than the TC. This requires the installer to move some things around behind the panel. A typical install is 1 AMU (plus the $2200 for the unit of course). Add more if you have a Piper (ask me how I know). It's pretty though (and very useful too).

View attachment 53233

its gonna be for a Piper... I hope, still fingers (and other things) crossed

its gonna be for a Piper... I hope, still fingers (and other things) crossed
Add about $1500 or so for a Piper if you move the gyro AI to the TC spot. And ask your shop to show you what they are going to use to tee the pitot lines together between the mechanical airspeed indicator and the G5. Mine failed before 10 hours because they went with a cheap wimpy part.

I was under the impression that as long as the G5 had the battery back up, you could replace the AI. Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that as long as the G5 had the battery back up, you could replace the AI. Am I wrong?
I think as long as its not driving a AP, it could be primary

Back