Can I install G5 in certied airplane?

Whats the installed price ?
Looks like you have a Piper panel. What kind of aircraft you have ?
Does it work with Century III auto pilot?
Not compatible/legal with any auto pilot in a certified plane.

Yes you can, if your make/model is covered by the STC.

It's a really nice tool too... Here's mine.
View attachment 53231
Another cherokee....so that's what it will look like. Just realized....when I need to change the bulbs behind the panel, it's almost impossible to remove he panel......rats. Time to rethink how this will all go together.

Depends on what you fly and where you want it installed. Pipers have a problem moving the gyro AI to the TC spot because the AI depth is deeper than the TC. This requires the installer to move some things around behind the panel. A typical install is 1 AMU (plus the $2200 for the unit of course). Add more if you have a Piper (ask me how I know). It's pretty though (and very useful too).
I thought the G5 replaced the AI...

In my setup the G5 replaced the turn coordinator. My AI drives my autopilot so it is technically still primary. Doesn't mean you have to fly that way.

Depends on what you fly and where you want it installed. Pipers have a problem moving the gyro AI to the TC spot because the AI depth is deeper than the TC. This requires the installer to move some things around behind the panel. A typical install is 1 AMU (plus the $2200 for the unit of course). Add more if you have a Piper (ask me how I know). It's pretty though (and very useful too).

View attachment 53233
I'm really diggin' that panel Neal. The engine monitor can replace my turn and bank (after the G5 of course) and I like that clock. All mine does is tell time; I have a separate cheapy timer for the holds and fuel changeover. Did you remove the original tach and if so, what's in it's place?

Does the G5 use GPS track or does it come with a magnetometer?

Does the G5 use GPS track or does it come with a magnetrometer?

The attitude indicator G5 is GPS ground track.

The HSI G5 will be magnetometer.

All per STC

Track is awesome, just set the bug to the approach plate and make the airplane track match.

The attitude indicator G5 is GPS ground track.

The HSI G5 will be magnetometer.

All per STC

Track is awesome, just set the bug to the approach plate and make the airplane track match.

Thanks. I was thinking of replacing my old BMA EFIS in the Glasair with something new.

Thanks. I was thinking of replacing my old BMA EFIS in the Glasair with something new.

Glassair? You have it made then, no STC approval nonsense needed. Just install it the way you want it, track/magnetic, with VOR/GPS/CDI/glide slope and more

I'm really diggin' that panel Neal. The engine monitor can replace my turn and bank (after the G5 of course) and I like that clock. All mine does is tell time; I have a separate cheapy timer for the holds and fuel changeover. Did you remove the original tach and if so, what's in it's place?
Thanks. The original tach still exists in the bottom right part of the panel (out of the picture). I have a lot of redundancy right now (for better or for worse). Dual airspeed, dual altimeter, dual tach, dual fuel, dual fuel pressure. Cuz, ya know. Certified. A few of those duals could serve as primary, but the old gauges are still in.

I tried to edit this thing.
Its not letting me edit the title
At the top right, go to "Thread tools" then "Edit thread". I think you have those controls. If not, report back and I'll change the title, but you need to let me know whether you want it to say certified, certificated, certifiable, or something else.

Last edited:
Sometimes??? :D

OK, folks, I've had it with comments like this. "Pedantry" is a scatological term for "doing it right." I'd be willing to bet that a lot of young kids that are thinking about getting into this biz read these newsgroups. They see misspellings, grammar of the ignorant, and such as that. Then I get them in my classroom and spend hours on what you spent minutes incorrectly teaching them, correcting them so that we have a common language and a common understanding of the material. That's not easy, reference "Principle of Primacy."

Somehow you all missed that step, an instructor who gave a damn about those who are coming along behind us. That we have to express ourselves in correct, logical, and understandable language in order to get the job done right. In the vernacular, "you done missed that." I understand your ignorance but I do not have to accept it.

I'm WAY the hell too old to give a hairy rat's ass-umption about what you think about me. I've spent the last 50 years of my life trying to assure that the pipeline after I go is filled with people who can carry on in an intelligent and understandable way.

I like TomD in these discussions; he's a great mechanic from the old school. I wish to hell he'd have had an instructor that beat spelling and punctuation into his head, but he didn't. That's the way it goes. And if y'all want to follow me there is going to be a vacancy in a couple of years.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
OK, folks, I've had it with comments like this. "Pedantry" is a scatological term for "doing it right." I'd be willing to bet that a lot of young kids that are thinking about getting into this biz read these newsgroups. They see misspellings, grammar of the ignorant, and such as that. Then I get them in my classroom and spend hours on what you spent minutes incorrectly teaching them, correcting them so that we have a common language and a common understanding of the material. That's not easy, reference "Principle of Primacy."

Somehow you all missed that step, an instructor who gave a damn about those who are coming along behind us. That we have to express ourselves in correct, logical, and understandable language in order to get the job done right. In the vernacular, "you done missed that." I understand your ignorance but I do not have to accept it.

I'm WAY the hell too old to give a hairy rat's ass-umption about what you think about me. I've spent the last 50 years of my life trying to assure that the pipeline after I go is filled with people who can carry on in an intelligent and understandable way.

I like TomD in these discussions; he's a great mechanic from the old school. I wish to hell he'd have had an instructor that beat spelling and punctuation into his head, but he didn't. That's the way it goes. And if y'all want to follow me there is going to be a vacancy in a couple of years.

Thanks,

Jim
There's ignorance, and there's making a small mistake that doesn't result in any actual misunderstanding or further error. Pedantry is not understanding the difference.

Thanks,

Jim
You forgot to yell get off my lawn.

And while you are on your holy quest to make the world right please be sure to turn off the lights when you leave an empty room. And fix that dripping faucet in the kitchen, you are wasting a valuable resource. Any other equally asinine things to say to another person?

OK, folks, I've had it with comments like this. "Pedantry" is a scatological term for "doing it right."

I never used the term "Pedantry". In fact, the only word that I posted is "Sometimes".

If your comment is about the post that I referenced, perhaps you should have responded to that post.

Anyone have the definition of irony handy? ;)

I never used the term "Pedantry". In fact, the only word that I posted is "Sometimes".

If your comment is about the post that I referenced, perhaps you should have responded to that post.

Anyone have the definition of irony handy? ;)
The application of a hot metal plate to remove wrinkles from other posters?

Thanks,

Jim
I understand what you are saying. But try to temper the desire for doing it correctly with the understanding that our devices will change words on us. Samsungs seems to use a crowd-source dictionary that is truly awful and will use some truly terrible misspelled words. Or our devices will choose the wrong word instead of the one we meant to use.

A better approach would have been to explain the types of certification for aircraft as was done in post #20. You have a lot of good information and there better approaches to combat ignorance than that chosen in this thread.

Back