Can 10 hours of complex/TAA requirement for CSEL be met in a multi?

Revtach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Revtach
My school's Mooney got damaged during a landing and will be out of service for the next 4 months.

I am finishing up CSEL training but still need 4.5 hours of complex/TAA time. There is a nearby flight school with a multi. I believe I can meet the 4.5 hours of complex time in the multi and pick up a complex endorsement in the process. My plan would be to then take the CSEL checkride, and thereafter apply the 4.5 hours of multi training I did towards preparation for my CMEL add-on checkride which I would take soon after.

I don't see anything in the regs against this, but wanted to verify that it's not a stupid plan for whatever reason.

Last edited:
The reg only specified land/sea, not singe/multi for the complex time, so at first glance it looks to me like it would work.

why not just do the commercial multi first, since you’re in the airplane anyway?

I did my commercial a long time ago (mid-1980s) but had Private Pilot, Airplane Single and Multiengine Land at the time so my Commercial checkride as split between a C-152 and a C-310. I did almost all of the Commercial maneuvers in the C-152 then the complex tasks and a signle-engine approach (I had Instrument Airplane already) in the C-310. There was no complex endorsement back then, just the requirement to do the CPL in a complex airplane.

The reg only specified land/sea, not singe/multi for the complex time, so at first glance it looks to me like it would work.

why not just do the commercial multi first, since you’re in the airplane anyway?

I'd rather not relearn all the commercial maneuvers in a multi at this point. Just want to meet the 10 hours of complex/TAA requirement while getting introduced to multi-engine flying, and then take the CSEL checkride in the 152 which I am comfortable with.

I'd rather not relearn all the commercial maneuvers in a multi at this point. Just want to meet the 10 hours of complex/TAA requirement while getting introduced to multi-engine flying, and then take the CSEL checkride in the 152 which I am comfortable with.
Which commercial maneuvers would you have to do in the multi that you don’t want to relearn?

I did my commercial a long time ago (mid-1980s) but had Private Pilot, Airplane Single and Multiengine Land at the time so my Commercial checkride as split between a C-152 and a C-310. I did almost all of the Commercial maneuvers in the C-152 then the complex tasks and a signle-engine approach (I had Instrument Airplane already) in the C-310. There was no complex endorsement back then, just the requirement to do the CPL in a complex airplane.
Reread the post above yours. Unless things have changed since Larry and I have done this there is no requirement to do commercial maneuvers in the twin.

He’d also have to meet the experience and training requirements in the twin, like the XC flights. As at this point he’s “finishing up” in the Single, that could be a significant added expense. By my math, it comes to 25 hours required in the twin to get your initial commercial in a twin, assuming no prior multi engine experience.

My school's Mooney got damaged during a landing and will be out of service for the next 4 months.

I am finishing up CSEL training but still need 4.5 hours of complex/TAA time. There is a nearby flight school with a multi. I believe I can meet the 4.5 hours of complex time in the multi and pick up a complex endorsement in the process. My plan would be to then take the CSEL checkride, and thereafter apply the 4.5 hours of multi training I did towards preparation for my CMEL add-on checkride which I would take soon after.

I don't see anything in the regs against this, but wanted to verify that it's not a stupid plan for whatever reason.

Yes, you can do this. You just need to make sure it makes financial sense to do so. (In your case, it seems like it does.)

Back