Starting it at 450 puts a sear on it and keeps the moisture in the meat. It's a critical step.
Better yet, get a good cast iron skillet and a little oil and sear it in the pan before putting it in the oven. You can then put it on a lower temperature.

Actually, if you're in a hurry, after the sear, you can cover it in foil and crank the temperature up to 450. It's amazing how well this works.

As for thermometers, I'm a big fan of the ThermoPen instant read thermometers. I've got two of them (one in the main kitchen and one for the pig cooker or outside cooker).

Nice. That looks awesome.

I just came home with a 13 pounder for Christmas dinner.

As for thermometers, I'm a big fan of the ThermoPen instant read thermometers.
I have a ThermoPop - and I use the heck out of that thing. A ThermaPen is more rugged, though.

ThermoWorks makes a very good roasting thermometer/timer, too.

D51F28DC-1621-4391-9BD1-4FA49D6A1488.jpeg

I kind of flarked it up. Not quite cooked enough even by my standards which are quite low.
I enjoyed it, most of it, but it was a very low grade cut. Oh well.

No problem - if it's a little rare, drop a slice onto a hot cast iron skillet for a minute or two on each side.

No problem - if it's a little rare, drop a slice onto a hot cast iron skillet for a minute or two on each side.

definitely a great way to salvage the situation, but the ship has de-ported. Plus I’m lazy.

Tomorrow I need to mix up the rub I use. I don't know how much time I'll have Mon and Tue, so if I'm out of something I'll have to figure that out as soon as possible. I have everything else for the horseradish cream sauce I make, so I'm good there.

Yes, my wife won't touch the roast without the horseradish sauce to go with it.

I had just enough onion powder to mix up a batch of rub for the rib roast I’ll be cooking Wed.

Here’s the recipe (I use 3 TBS black pepper.)

0461EC41-AD8B-4EE6-953C-8B16F77058BD.jpeg

4DD8337F-D1BE-486D-A543-DF0AE03B4A89.jpeg Mine just went into a hot oven for 10 min, then down to 250 until done.

Note to self: clean the oven more often.

Or just use it less or not at all. LOL
Nope. I use it pretty hard, I’m not giving THAT up!

When I was running it at 450 to build a nice crust I sure generated a lot of smoke. Right now it smells great, it’s up to 101F. Another 24F to go, about one more hour should do. After it rests it should hit 130 or so and be a great med-rare.

B9D56DC1-50F0-4ED1-A4EA-162B83B86F27.jpeg Resting now whole the potatoes grill for a few more minutes. It’s reached 133 on the counter.

I tried the high/low temp thing this time. 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then lowered the temperature to 250. Our oven takes a very long time to lose temperature, so I had to hold the door partially open to get the temperature down For a 5.5 pound roast, at the two hour mark it was at 110 degrees. 15 minutes later it was at 124, and out it came. I gave it about a 20 minute rest, and carved it. It was a little more rare than the one @Matthew is showing us in post #120, which is just the way we like it.

I make one of these per year, and next year I'll do it the same way.

Rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper rubbed on with olive oil. On the pellet grill at 250 until I get internal temperature of 120. Pull off to rest while grill heats up to high heat ~450 depending on OAT then 5 min sear on each side. Let rest for 10-15 and carve it up.

I use standing rib roasts when I want a roast. I like having the bones to chew on.

I tried the high/low temp thing this time. 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then lowered the temperature to 250. Our oven takes a very long time to lose temperature, so I had to hold the door partially open to get the temperature down For a 5.5 pound roast, at the two hour mark it was at 110 degrees. 15 minutes later it was at 124, and out it came. I gave it about a 20 minute rest, and carved it. It was a little more rare than the one @Matthew is showing us in post #120, which is just the way we like it.

I make one of these per year, and next year I'll do it the same way.
Mine finished at 133-ish. I have to cook for several different palates and that’s a good compromise. That extra 3-5 deg makes a big difference. When I carved it, it was perfect. After some air got to the cut edges they browned up a little more. There were no complaints.

13 lb. Let it sit on the counter for 3.5 hrs. It was 40F internal temp when it went into the oven. Started at 12:30p (450 for 10 min, then 250). Finally reached 125 at 5pm. Let it rest 30 min while I grilled potatoes. Final temp was approx 133-135. Next time I pull it at 122-123.

Is there a reason you chose 250? Or does your oven not reliably go lower?
When I do bbq I smoke at 225-250. I haven’t tracked my oven temp to see how well or maintains a temp profile. Maillard reaction (browning) happens around 300F. Cooking at 250 vs 200 speeds the cooking process without affecting the looks. I could have done it at 200-225 but it would probably have added another hour.

When I do bbq I smoke at 225-250. I haven’t tracked my oven temp to see how well or maintains a temp profile. Maillard reaction (browning) happens around 300F. Cooking at 250 vs 200 speeds the cooking process without affecting the looks. I could have done it at 200-225 but it would probably have added another hour.
My understanding is that enzymatic activity (calpains and cathepsins) occur mainly in the 105-122 range, so the longer you can hold it there, the more tender the meat. This is the one of the principles behind sous vide, but it can apply to roasting depending on how reliable is the oven at lower temperatures. However, I haven't played around with oven temps enough to figure out how big a difference it makes.

My understanding is that enzymatic activity (calpains and cathepsins) occur mainly in the 105-122 range, so the longer you can hold it there, the more tender the meat. This is the one of the principles behind sous vide, but it can apply to roasting depending on how reliable is the oven at lower temperatures. However, I haven't played around with oven temps enough to figure out how big a difference it makes.
I’m not familiar with that. A longer cook, like in a smoker at a lower temp would keep the center at a lower temp longer, but the outer edges would still be at whatever the oven temp is for longer. Sous vide sets the whole roast to the final temp by soaking it at that temp for a long time. That may be the ultimate, but I don’t know if I would have the time to do that or would want to miss out on the whole house smelling like a rib roast as it cooks.

I had just enough onion powder to mix up a batch of rub for the rib roast I’ll be cooking Wed.

Here’s the recipe (I use 3 TBS black pepper.)

View attachment 81219
Your roast looked fabulous. I gotta do one this week.

But let me ask a pro a question:
Why do so many rub recipes call for sugar? Something about putting sugar on meat just seems wrong to me, so I always leave it off. And I don't get many complaints. I might give it a try, but can you tell me what sugar adds to the process? If it is just "sweet", then I'll continue avoiding it. If it contributes something to the chemical process of browning without imparting a sweet taste, I will try it.

Your roast looked fabulous. I gotta do one this week.

But let me ask a pro a question:
Why do so many rub recipes call for sugar? Something about putting sugar on meat just seems wrong to me, so I always leave it off. And I don't get many complaints. I might give it a try, but can you tell me what sugar adds to the process? If it is just "sweet", then I'll continue avoiding it. If it contributes something to the chemical process of browning without imparting a sweet taste, I will try it.
This particular rub has only a small amount of sugar, many pork rubs have a lot (mainly brown sugar) that melt down into a glorious candy coating. I’m not sure if you would notice the flavor difference in this rub if you left it out. The sugar may aid by melting down into a slight glaze. It may also balance the savory flavors from the rest of the ingredients.

You can make an adjustment: make the rub without sugar, split it in half, then add half the sugar to one part. Rub half the roast with, the other half without. Stick a toothpick in whichever half you want to mark, then cook. See which side you like best.

After a few wonderful successes with our old gas double-oven range, we did our first one yesterday in the newly remodeled kitchen. The new ovens are built-in electric (wall mount) double LG ovens. Totally different beasts. With the old one we seared at 500, 5 minutes per pound, then covered and turned off the oven. Worked great. The new ovens have active cooling after you shut them off, so that probably wouldn't work. Fortunately, they have a 3-level "warm" setting. We set that to the medium temp level -- 170. The meat was done on schedule, and turned out great. Sorry, no pics. My son was actually the cook on this one. He covered that sucker with half a pound of butter, then his preferred spice mix -- some commercially available one whose name escapes me. It was pretty good. I think the only thing I'd have done differently would have been getting it out of the fridge earlier, I think the core was still not up to room temp before it went in. Turned out great, though. Sadly, my son managed to size it almost perfectly for the number of people in attendance, so the only leftovers for us was a single end cut. I wouldn't have complained too loudly about another slab for today's lunch! :)

After a few wonderful successes with our old gas double-oven range, we did our first one yesterday in the newly remodeled kitchen. The new ovens are built-in electric (wall mount) double LG ovens. Totally different beasts. With the old one we seared at 500, 5 minutes per pound, then covered and turned off the oven. Worked great. The new ovens have active cooling after you shut them off, so that probably wouldn't work.

Maybe. :D Our wall oven has active cooling too and we did the same "closed oven" method. 5 minutes per lb (for an 11 lb one) and the two hours after and it turned out perfect.

I've done prime ribs in the oven, on gas grills and on the Green Egg. I have done the sear first, then let cool, I have cooked long and slow and then seared afterwards. I have even done it without searing at all. Just cooked at around 350 till the thermometer said it was done.

Every single one came out great, except one that I forgot to check on and it overcooked to med-well.

IMHO, the only requirements are to use a good meat thermometer, and use a rub you like, even if that rub is just plain salt and pepper, which is one of my favorites.

I'm looking forward to doing another one soon. And if I get to pick out the roast, we always have left overs.

After a few wonderful successes with our old gas double-oven range, we did our first one yesterday in the newly remodeled kitchen. The new ovens are built-in electric (wall mount) double LG ovens. Totally different beasts. With the old one we seared at 500, 5 minutes per pound, then covered and turned off the oven. Worked great. The new ovens have active cooling after you shut them off, so that probably wouldn't work. Fortunately, they have a 3-level "warm" setting. We set that to the medium temp level -- 170. The meat was done on schedule, and turned out great. Sorry, no pics. My son was actually the cook on this one. He covered that sucker with half a pound of butter, then his preferred spice mix -- some commercially available one whose name escapes me. It was pretty good. I think the only thing I'd have done differently would have been getting it out of the fridge earlier, I think the core was still not up to room temp before it went in. Turned out great, though. Sadly, my son managed to size it almost perfectly for the number of people in attendance, so the only leftovers for us was a single end cut. I wouldn't have complained too loudly about another slab for today's lunch! :)
Ha, we have the same sort of wall ovens (wireless, even!) and have had to learn how to bake all over again.

Ha, we have the same sort of wall ovens (wireless, even!) and have had to learn how to bake all over again.
We love the new ovens... the adjustments haven't been major, really, though they do seem to run just a little hot. I think I should probably check the temperature. There's a procedure, I think, to calibrate them.
Maybe. :D Our wall oven has active cooling too and we did the same "closed oven" method. 5 minutes per lb (for an 11 lb one) and the two hours after and it turned out perfect.
I didn't know for sure if it would work or not, and wasn't going to experiment on my the 14# rib roast my son bought as his Christmas gift to the family. :) One of these days I'll have to test it out with a remote thermometer... in fact, now that I think about it, this would be a cool data logging project. I could track the cool-down temperature over time for both the top and bottom ovens, both when used alone and when the other oven is still in use. Bet that would make a difference, and when we're cooking prime rib the other oven is always or almost always in use for something else. Yesterday it was bacon-wrapped asparagus. I'll have to set up a Pi or something for that.

I didn’t think about this until now: the temp probe I was using in the roast is good up to approx 500F. And it has a min/max display. I could leave the bare probe in the oven and set it to 350 and let it soak about an hour. Then reset the min/max readings and wait another hour or two. That would record the temperature swing in my oven. Now I have something to do today during “Home Alone”.

We love the new ovens... the adjustments haven't been major, really, though they do seem to run just a little hot. I think I should probably check the temperature. There's a procedure, I think, to calibrate them.

I didn't know for sure if it would work or not, and wasn't going to experiment on my the 14# rib roast my son bought as his Christmas gift to the family.

Don't blame you for not rolling the dice. We also have a pizza stone that lives in ours and that's a considerable heat sink after an hour pre-heat.

Oven temp test results:

Oven: GE TrueTemp, about 20 yrs old.

Thermometer:https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAla...r1mERx8v5TKYmnMl9FgXLQiPuDaYd2pEaAmHfEALw_wcB
(in blue)

I don't know where the oven temp controller sensor is located, but I tried to set my probe as close to the center of the oven as I could.

I did not pay a lot of attention to noting timestamps on any reading.

I set the probe inside a baking dish so it would be shielded from the direct heat of the lower burner, and used aluminum foil to prop up the tip so it wasn't touching the dish. I suspect that when I closed the door the cable shifted the probe a little bit so it was hanging over the edge of the baking dish anyway.

I set the oven temp to 350 and turned it on. The oven beeps when it hits its setpoint.

The oven beeped at its setpoint (350), and my probe read 280.

After another few minutes (5-10) my probe read 385. After an additional 15 min the oven temp began cycling and settled between 366 and 377, for an average temp of about 372. That's at a setting of 350, so it appears my oven runs about 12 deg hot at 350. I suppose I could generate a correction card and stick it on the front of the oven, but it's nice to finally know after all these years.

I turned the oven off and started recording temps as it cooled. After 35 minutes the temp was 242. After 40 mins it was 231. Right now, after 53 min it's 207. I'm going to finish the recording at 60 min, so I'll edit this post in another few minutes.

I suppose I could generate a correction card and stick it on the front of the oven, but it's nice to finally know after all these years.
And then you'll have to re-calibrate after you clean the oven. :)

Back