I ended up grilling it at 250 until 110°, then 400 until 135. 135 is too high, I'll take it out sooner next time. It was more medium, not medium rare.

I did use your rub, and it was very good. My wife and mother-in-law really liked the rub, as well.

135 is a target temperature after cool down. You need to pull it out more like 125 to get there because it is still cooking after you pull it out of the oven.

Pork chops - the thicker the better, too many times pork chops are cut too thin and cook too fast so they get overcooked.

I like them on the thick side. If I cook them indoors, I'll dredge them in seasoned flour (flour with seasoned salt and black pepper), then pan fry them in a little olive oil and butter. They don't take long, I aim for 135 in the pan and 145 after they've rested. They'll be a nice rosy color in the middle. There are some really quick and easy recipes for making a cream sauce from the drippings, and if you add some sauteed mushrooms it's really good. If I do that, I'll cook the mushrooms first, then the chops, then make the sauce after I pull the pork chops. Only takes one pan that way.

Get a whole pork loin for < $2/lb and cut it into various thicknesses of loin chops. It's a cheap way to get a lot of boneless loin and sirloin chops. But sometimes the bone-in can have better flavor.

I've done burgers on a George Foreman grill. Sometimes you have to work with what you got. I don't do that very often unless there's just no other option, the trick is to make sure that grill has had a good long preheat and then season the burgers with salt and pepper or some sort of steak rub.

I haven't tried pork chops on the GF grill, I might do that some day and see how it works.

I see those thin cut pork chops in the store, I think, "are they for breakfast?" For dinner they need to be about two inches thick. I make a marinade of molasses and soy sauce the night before, put the chops in, flip them over so both sides are coated, then sprinkle with granulated or powdered garlic and ground ginger. Cover, put them in the fridge. The following morning, I flip them again, and sprinkle with more garlic and ginger. I grill them over medium to medium low heat, turning frequently. Take them off at 145 degrees or if the juices start to appear on the top of the meat. If they are overcooked they get tough.

Bone in are better than boneless.

Last edited:
You guys trim off, or leave, the fat cap? First Christmas we've spent in our house rather than other family houses, so I'm the chef this time.....

You guys trim off, or leave, the fat cap? First Christmas we've spent in our house rather than other family houses, so I'm the chef this time.....

Leave it. It comes off cleanly after it is cooked and sliced.

It provides burn protection, plus it's fairly pointless as there is a layer of fat underneath the top beef brisket.

Last edited:
I hate it when they cut the bone off and tie it back on. I always ask them for an uncut one.

I see that you tied it. Do you remove the bones and tie them back on?
Yes and no.

I asked my meat guy to do that for me so I wouldn't have to, it saved me the trouble.

I hate it when they cut the bone off and tie it back on. I always ask them for an uncut one.

Most of the rib roasts in the case (in my experience) will already be cut like that, so you do need to request it uncut. It's fun when they pull out all the roasts so you can pick through to get the best one. Sometimes the giveaway is when the butcher mutters, "Dayum!"

It really comes down to personal preference. Generally, trussing roasts and poultry is done to keep the meat compact so it cooks evenly. On an untrimmed rib roast I don't know if there is an advantage to tying it.

The advantage of trimming first is that when it's done, you cut the string, pull off the ribs, and you have a boneless roast that's easy to carve. Other folks have good reasons to leave it all attached.

It really comes down to personal preference. Generally, trussing roasts and poultry is done to keep the meat compact so it cooks evenly. On an untrimmed rib roast I don't know if there is an advantage to tying it.

The advantage of trimming first is that when it's done, you cut the string, pull off the ribs, and you have a boneless roast that's easy to carve. Other folks have good reasons to leave it all attached.

If you're salting a couple days ahead then you can get salt on portions of the meat that would otherwise be inaccessible due to the bones.

I prefer roasting with the bones on because I can use it as a rack and not worry about dirtying up a metal one. And it can provide a bit of buffer depending on your heat source.

I've *read* that re-trussing the bones back on helps shield the bottom side from overcooking. Cooked mine @ 200 deg for about 4.5 hrs today until it hit 125F (visiting family is more of a "medium" than "medium rare" crowd :( ). About to throw it under the broiler to crust the outside, just waiting for it to rest for an hour so the re-heat doesn't significantly increase the internal temp.

I was hoping for 3 hrs, expecting 3.5 hrs, and budgeting 4 hrs. Ended up taking 4.5. I let it sit on the counter to try to take the chill off it before I put it into the oven, but it was such a big roast (just shy of 12 lb) and started out so cold, I don't think it made much of a difference. Fortunately, we had plenty of wine and cocktails to pass the time before dinner was ready.

I started it at 450 for 10 minutes, then lowered the temp to 250, and cooked to 125. It rested for about 30 min before I cut into it.

DSCN3587.JPG DSCN3588.JPG

I was hoping for 3 hrs, expecting 3.5 hrs, and budgeting 4 hrs. Ended up taking 4.5. I let it sit on the counter to try to take the chill off it before I put it into the oven, but it was such a big roast (just shy of 12 lb) and started out so cold, I don't think it made much of a difference. Fortunately, we had plenty of wine and cocktails to pass the time before dinner was ready.

I started it at 450 for 10 minutes, then lowered the temp to 250, and cooked to 125. It rested for about 30 min before I cut into it.

View attachment 70253 View attachment 70254
Nice looking spinalis dorsi.

Nice looking spinalis dorsi.

tenor.gif

Well my Prime Rib bone in was very tasty yesterday. I bought a 5 bone in Prime Rib. Well that was to big for the number coming over for dinner so I cut it into two portions, 2 bone and 3 bone.

I used the high sear for 20min then turned down to 325. Pulled it at 125F internal temp. Let rest for 20min. Ends were medium, center was medium rare. Cook time was about 2hrs.

Don't have pictures, you will have to take my word "the beef was very tender with great flavor"...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

edit: planning on using the rack/rib bones to make beef stew, and cook the 2 bone portion for New Years Eve dinner for the wife and I...:)

Heh. I just chow down on the ribs personally. Chomp chomp.

So I scored a 6 lb rack of pork. Normally I would do this in the Weber, indirect heat, but I liked the 450/250 method of cooking the Prime Rib so much that I'm thinking to do the same thing here. Obviously at a tad higher finishing temperature.

So I scored a 6 lb rack of pork. Normally I would do this in the Weber, indirect heat, but I liked the 450/250 method of cooking the Prime Rib so much that I'm thinking to do the same thing here. Obviously at a tad higher finishing temperature.
I aim for 137 for pork loin and then pull it off to rest.

Edit: That's 137 unless I'm cooking for Banhammer Ted, see the temp on the loins is 137, get ready to pull them, get distracted by the ribs, briskets and butts that need tending, forget about the loins, fall asleep in front of a tv and behind a beer, wake up a couple-three hours later, remember the loins, find out they are at 185+ and they go in the trash and I have to do two more.

Edit: That's 137 unless I'm cooking for Banhammer Ted, see the temp on the loins is 137, get ready to pull them, get distracted by the ribs, briskets and butts that need tending, forget about the loins, fall asleep in front of a tv and behind a beer, wake up a couple-three hours later, remember the loins, find out they are at 185+ and they go in the trash and I have to do two more.
Is 185 burned or just desert dry?

Shoooooooooot man.... It's almost pulled pork at that point. Let it go will 200 and shred it. Sauce will hide the lack of moisture.

Shoooooooooot man.... It's almost pulled pork at that point. Let it go will 200 and shred it. Sauce will hide the lack of moisture.

A pork butt at 185 is just starting to get good.

A pork loin at 185 turns into a dry, crumbling mess.

One has good internal fat and collagen, the other is extremely lean. Pork loin is very unforgiving of being over cooked.

Sounds reasonable. That is what I will do.

Well I have to say, the prime rib was a hit......think I will make that a tradition. And I couldn't take it anymore, and pulled it out at 120 internal. I think most of the work was done in the 45 days dry aging, and the 2 it sat in my fridge dry brining, but I at least didn't F it up. Rosy med-rare all the way to the edge of the crust. We had a lot less leftovers than I had anticipated, but enough to cut some of the pink meat into medallions, marinate in Korean BBQ sauce, and sear off on the grill on the night of the 26th. The leftover crust pieces are gonna get minced and mixed with some ground pork shoulder for New Years day meatballs.

I trimmed some off and fried it in a cast iron skillet well ahead of cook time. Then used the rendered fat (rather than butter) to make the rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and basted the roast prior to oven insertion.

Also used the rendered fat to cook some Idaho potatoes, sliced in half. Fry in cast iron or other oven safe skillet with flat side down in about 1/4" of fat/oil until lightly browned, then finish in the oven (about 30 minutes). They cook much faster and everyone loves the crispy flat side with soft inside for butter and sour cream.

....Also used the rendered fat to cook some Idaho potatoes....
I can imagine how good that is. There is a barbecue restaurant not too far from me that makes their potato salad by frying the potatoes in the fat rendered from smoking their pork. Let's just say it's the best potato salad I've ever had!

Back