Caitlyn Jenner, Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, that was "Bruce" Jenner. And he peaked in the 70s. Yes he won two golds and he deserves that credit. What has he done since (besides change his gender)?

So, that was a totally different human being, just because she changed her genitals and name? All the self-discipline and athleticism it took to become the BEST IN THE WORLD at something was lost? So Bruce/Caitlyn peaked in the 70s, so what? Kurt Russell is an actor/pilot who peaked in the 80s; if they did a page on him would your panties be so twisted (pun intended) because he's a "has been"?

People get so wound up about the "politics" of this one page profile, while having purely political reactions to it. It's a famous person. Who's a pilot. That's what all these fluff profiles are about. Isn't that enough? You don't have to like or agree with every famous pilot for it to make a relevant story for AOPA magazine.

This thread includes a disgusting outpouring of bigoted slurs against a fellow pilot.

Does PoA policy condone such attacks, or not? If it does, what other minority groups are fair game here?

So you're saying you think it would be OK to be bedfellows with a tranny? ;) (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) :D Besides, I didn't mention a specific pilot, nor even reference the subject of this thread, as that individual has not had the requisite surgery to become an actual transsexual. I feel horrible if I have hurt your feelings on this subject. As penance I will now go flying, sharing the skies with various types of genitals affixed to any individuals who choose to wear them. Strange skyfellows? Uncertain. Strange bedfellows? What you do in your bed is your business. Strange indignation? Indeed! Good day to you, sir, good day.

So, that was a totally different human being, just because she changed her genitals and name? All the self-discipline and athleticism it took to become the BEST IN THE WORLD at something was lost? So Bruce/Caitlyn peaked in the 70s, so what? Kurt Russell is an actor/pilot who peaked in the 80s; if they did a page on him would your panties be so twisted (pun intended) because he's a "has been"?

People get so wound up about the "politics" of this one page profile, while having purely political reactions to it. It's a famous person. Who's a pilot. That's what all these fluff profiles are about. Isn't that enough? You don't have to like or agree with every famous pilot for it to make a relevant story for AOPA magazine.

Maybe you should re-read my post. My point was that Caitlyn/Bruce is no longer relevant. I'll bet the ONLY reason that AOPA threw her up there is because of her controversial gender change, oh and yeah she's a pilot too..but wanna bet that was just an attempt to legitimize the story in some way?

Kurt Russell hasn't done anything lately either, never said he did. But if he DID do something worth mentioning, then yeah it would be nice to know about it. Putting someone up there for the sake of putting them up there is exactly what AOPA did, in my opinion.

There are lots of pilots out there today doing far greater things that Caitlyn, much more worthy of a story. And please, don't tell me you are SO blind as to believe this is about being a pilot...or that by changing your gender you are somehow breaking down barriers. People have been changing genders for years, and you know what, I'll bet more than a few are pilots. Do they get cover stories too?

I'm not debating that Bruce was a great athlete in the 70s, and I'm not knocking the LGBT community. My point is what has he done lately other than changing his gender that warrants a story? It's an obvious attempt by AOPA to "stir the pot", which according to the outpouring on this topic it has done very well. So maybe in that regard the story was a success.

36854-04d59a1201430083eb5c29cc1341cc71.jpg
menrbetter.jpg

Here's another transgender pilot's TED Talk on the subject. I knew him, long before the transition, at a previous employer.

She calls her condition a birth defect which, I understand, has gotten her a lot of flak from the LGBT community but it makes sense to me.

If they're a pilot and a celebrity, then interview them all.
In case you all haven't noticed, we need it.
Watching you monkey's throwing your poo about it is the disturbing part.

AOPA continues their (relatively fast now, and accelerating) slide into irrelevance.

No. English doesn't have a neuter (or indefinite gender) pronoun for a human being,
That is unfortunate because I often struggle with how to refer to someone when I don't know their gender. It happens here a lot since we can't see each other. "They" is plural and as you say...

"it" is definitely not acceptable. :thumbsdown:

This thread includes a disgusting outpouring of bigoted slurs against a fellow pilot.

Does PoA policy condone such attacks, or not? If it does, what other minority groups are fair game here?

Even if she weren't a pilot it would be childish bullying.

But since she is: +1000

LOL this forum is great...the stuff people argue about is just mind "bottling".

She is a nice lady! Don't say bad things about Caitlyn :p

I guess I've had enough time to adjust. I had a uncle once that decided life would be better if he were a woman. My aunt wasn't too happy about it...

One of his sons disowned him and it was the talk of the family (to say the least). Finally got up the nerve to ask my cousin about it when I learned a life lesson (and gained a ton of respect for my cousin): he disowned his dad not because of his gender change, but because of all the lying. (Yep more to the story I don't want to know.)

Oh all this happened in the sinful blue state of Kansas. . . . . .

(By the way, is it bad that all during this post I wanted to sneak in the fact this is my dad's sister?)

I have no idea if the policy condones it or not since I can't seem to find the policy.
However, there is a "Report" link at the bottom of every post. I think that is the proper course of action if you feel a post violates the site rules.

The AOPA rag came today. Why is he/she wearing tight leather slacks instead of a dress? Maybe they were flying and leather pants more comfortable for that. :rolleyes:

The AOPA rag came today. Why is he/she wearing tight leather slacks instead of a dress? Maybe they were flying and leather pants more comfortable for that. :rolleyes:
I got the mag a couple days ago and didn't open it until just a minute ago.

Pretty much any minority is fair game, based on what I've seen.

...as is any majority group, for that matter. I've never seen any indication otherwise.

It seems the article got a few of us to actually open the magazine, thereby seeing some of the ads. Which is one of the main reasons the mag exists.

So, I guess the editors succeeded in achieving one of their major objectives. Good job editors!

Controversy sells.

I had no clue she was a pilot. I am pretty sure if I knew details about the personal lives of most pilots I probably wouldn't approve so that part doesn't bother me at all. hah

Jenner has the Bo at my home airport. I see it flying a lot. This is Chuck Arron's old Bo that he sold to Jenner.

I started to read this thread and had to look to make sure I was on an aviation board and not a Trump supporter board...

Kaitlin Jenner is 1,000% a bandwagon attempt at relevance and appealing to a broader audience on the part of AOPA.

Give me a break.

I have ZERO problems with Kaitlin Jenner. Or her transition.

But I know of transitioned female police officer who had to overcome stereotypes and bias to both make the gender transition more than a decade ago, who also became a pilot on our department. I don't remember her being covered in ANY issue of AOPA. Maybe because she doesn't have her own reality TV show.

That is unfortunate because I often struggle with how to refer to someone when I don't know their gender. It happens here a lot since we can't see each other. "They" is plural and as you say...

We also lack a single word to refer to nieces and nephews collectively. I always thought that was odd.

By the way, "they" is now considered proper to refer to an individual human whose gender is unknown.

Rich

I can't imagine the pure hell this poor soul has gone through in life. I can heap loads of blame on people who make bad choices, but this is not what has gone on here. Call it a mental condition or whatever term you want, but what if you woke up one day and realized you were in the wrong body.

Yep, that seems to preclude the issuance of a medical to TPFKABJ. So how did the FAA fudge the rules to issue one?
Dunno. Maybe he, she, hasn't had to renew yet? Maybe he saw the AME before he became a she?

By the way, "they" is now considered proper to refer to an individual human whose gender is unknown.
Reference?

I've seen "they" for that purpose, and have even used it myself. Once I was soundly chastised by a friend who insists they is exclusively plural, and unsuitable for referring to a single person.

I've seen "ze", "sie" and other variants as well. Trouble is, they're not standard English and don't seem to have caught on outside of LGBT circles.

So I really don't know, I'm just going by my 50-some-odd year-old education in basic English. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back