C414 in my hangar

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
On Thursday I closed on a '74 Cessna 414. Big move, but I've wanted a twin for some time. I looked at and considered Baron, Aerostar and even made an offer on a P-Baron. After more research, including with Ted D, the 414 started to look like the right combination. Looked at a couple and this one had almost everything I wanted (would have liked more fuel capacity).

So I've got a great plane, 2 335image.jpeg HP RamVI engines, an incredible avionics package, image.jpeg image.jpeg A/C, 7 seats, very roomy leather interior, a potty, and a great chance for adventure.

I took a 3 ½ day initial training course (same one Ted took). The plane was corporate owned and I flew the plane back with the company pilot from Florida to my airport on Thursday. What a blast. Too conservative to take it to Gaston, but I'll be ready for some nice trips very soon.

Pictures attached, since without pictures it didn't happen.

Wow, congrats! Nice 414.:)

Congratulations, looks like a beauty!

I have close to 1000 hours in the C-414 and love it, but I never had a chance to fly a ram conversion.

Looks really nice..!!!

I am more jealous of that hanger.....:yes:

Congrats on the acquisition. That is a beautiful airplane and I hope that you have tons of fun going to really cool places!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Very nice Lance, can't wait to see it in person

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

maybe one day.....ahhhh. I'm jeally.:)

I flew several trips in one years ago. Terrific airplane. Enjoy!

Not that I know Lance at all, but in my head the process went down like this:

"Hmmmm I'd really like a twin. Barons.....Barons....ooooh a P-Baron...."
<pause>
"Aww ***k it. 414!" :)

Last edited:
Not that I know Lance at all, but in my head the process went down like this:

"Hmmmm I'd really like a twin. Barons.....Barons....ooooh a P-Baron...."
<pause>
"Aww ***k it. 414!" :)

Often times these decisions take some time to get to. If you rewind the clock 5 years, I would have never expected to purchase a 414 for Cloud Nine. The process was somewhat roundabout for us. Similarly, Lance wanted a twin, and it took a while to get to the point of the fully defined mission and an aircraft that would best fit the mission. Just like for us (but for different reasons), the 414 is a great fit. We spent a lot of time chatting about the 414 this weekend.

Congrats, Lance! Hope to see the plane soon.

Last edited:
We spent a lot of time chatting about the 414 this weekend.

That's really cool! Yeah, my post was tongue in cheek - regular folks like me can't even begin to imagine what would go into such a big-time purchase. Heh!

Great airplane though - I have some time in a 421 and loved the airframe. I'd imagine the 414 gives you most of that mission without the extra hassle of the geared engines.

That's really cool! Yeah, my post was tongue in cheek - regular folks like me can't even begin to imagine what would go into such a big-time purchase. Heh!

Great airplane though - I have some time in a 421 and loved the airframe. I'd imagine the 414 gives you most of that mission without the extra hassle of the geared engines.

Basically a 414 is a 421 with less power (and thus less performance and less useful load). It's a bit more efficient because of the direct drive engines and also more reliable for the same reason. The faster turning props are louder. The shorter nose also fits in more hangars, which is often a big deal for buyers deciding between the two. Oddly, the 340 (which is smaller than the 414, but otherwise mechanically about the same) has a taller tail. In some cases, this means that people can't fit a 340 in their hangar, but can fit a 414. Go figure.

The purchase decision isn't much different than for most other assets. There's a combination of what you want, what you need, what you can afford, and what's available.

Then there's gambling. Because with any of these planes, you're gambling to some degree.

You're going to be glad you got a 414 over a P-Baron, especially if you fly the family! Lot's of room, good speed, and pretty simple to operate! I had 2 414A's and a 421B and I liked all of them. The room in the cabin is HUGE compared to anything else in it's class! Great avionics and I see the vents for air conditioning! :D It will likely need to be serviced once per year, but if you ever fly without it in the summer, you will pay whatever it takes to keep it working. :eek: If you don't already have a shop, S&S in Canton, KCNI, is a great twin Cessna shop, they will fix things rather than just start replacing parts. :D

Back