C150F N7893F crash near KSQI 7/24/21

I teach "normal" landings with partial flaps, and reserve full flaps only when circumstances warrant. Cessna's flaps are very effective, which makes a forward slip an unnecessary maneuver in most cases. Additionally, this is one situation where a 20-deg flap would have resulted in a non-event. I get some flak for doing most landings with 20-deg flaps, but it makes go-arounds easier, and a longer float (which is actually useful for teaching the roundout and flare because it lasts longer). Short field, soft fields and engine out landings of course should be done with full flaps.

I'm a 20° flaps guy too. It seems I have more consistent landings, although sometimes they're consistently bad.

:rofl:

If one is looking for some real excitement, try a go around in a Cessna 170A. For maximum fun, it should be attempted on a warm day, with all 50° of flaps hanging out and the 145 HP O-300 giving it hell.

:eek: :eek:

What is ACCA?

Aviation Content Creator Awards.

Oh

never heard of it…

Because it's a thing Dan made up to make friends, or so it would appear. Hey, I'll organize a little fly-in and call it the ACCA and then give out awards so all the YouTube celebs come to my party...

I mean, ACCA would be a cool idea if there was, say, a committee that reviewed and voted on the material as opposed to being a one-man show. There are a lot of people doing really cool stuff online (and many of them here, too).

If one is looking for some real excitement, try a go around in a Cessna 170A. For maximum fun, it should be attempted on a warm day, with all 50° of flaps hanging out and the 145 HP O-300 giving it hell.

:eek: :eek:

I think you meant Cessna 170B. The 170A flaps are itty-bitty little guys that don't do much....

Because it's a thing Dan made up to make friends, or so it would appear. Hey, I'll organize a little fly-in and call it the ACCA and then give out awards so all the YouTube celebs come to my party...

I mean, ACCA would be a cool idea if there was, say, a committee that reviewed and voted on the material as opposed to being a one-man show. There are a lot of people doing really cool stuff online (and many of them here, too).

I suspect the event won't happen again. 17 of 18 awards were still on the stage when it ended.
Creators are not attending.

I suspect the event won't happen again. 17 of 18 awards were still on the stage when it ended.
Creators are not attending.

At least a few are... There sure were lots of cameras on site for the crash! I never heard of any of them though.

So, who was the one winner there?

At least a few are... There sure were lots of cameras on site for the crash! I never heard of any of them though.

Scott Perdue from Fly Wire for "aviation safety series"

I don't know how big the other guy is.
Dan appears to be 5'10 and maybe 200 lbs

Re: takeoff distance, the runway they took off on was 6500 feet.
This was a low approach not a takeoff.

I don't know what the useful load is on that plane.
I'm 5'10 and 200 lb. Dan is significantly heavier than that (not a personal jab).

If it was a post maintenance flight, why would you take a passenger?

Some of you guys are just being mean. Dan is a true aviation celebrity and I think you're jealous. Even though he was busy, he took the time to pose for a photo for me the other day.

51360815861_6ba914239d_c.jpg

Yup. Correction, there were a ton of very young channels present.
"Award winning" Creators are not attending.

Actually I thought it was all quantitative metrics, not on the basis of personal choice; but you're right, we don't see under the covers.

I wondered if they published a list of winners, but not enough to go look for myself. I'm happy for Scott.

I love that he organized a fly-in, to benefit the local airport and economy; planned it around Airventure so attendees and performers did not have to choose between the two; and held it close enough to Airventure to make it easy for folks to do both. All of those seem like thoughtful choices.

Actually I thought it was all quantitative metrics, not on the basis of personal choice; but you're right, we don't see under the covers....

I watched about 30 seconds of Dan's video (because that's about all I can stand of him) where he talks about actual youtube analytics (I dunno, can you pull those stats for other channels or did everyone do it and submit them?). but there's no way to pull stats like "most helpful" or best aviation-specific content and whatnot, just 'most watched', most liked, etc..... also, and most importantly, just because someone gets a lot of views doesn't mean their content is actually any good (yeah I'm looking at you, wags)

I watched about 30 seconds of Dan's video (because that's about all I can stand of him) where he talks about actual youtube analytics (I dunno, can you pull those stats for other channels or did everyone do it and submit them?). but there's no way to pull stats like "most helpful" or best aviation-specific content and whatnot, just 'most watched', most liked, etc..... also, and most importantly, just because someone gets a lot of views doesn't mean their content is actually any good (yeah I'm looking at you, wags)
I won, but wasn't awarded the trophy because of the software written by a dead dictator using mail in bamboo satellites. Massive fraud.

http://aviationcontentcreators.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/ACCA-2021-Data.pdf

NTSB Report out. Nothing surprising....

Multiple requests to obtain a completed National Transportation Safety Board Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident/Incident form and a statement from the right seat pilot were unsuccessful.

Probable Cause: The right seat pilot’s improper decision to perform a low approach with full flaps and the failure of the flaps to retract during the attempted go-around, which resulted in a forced landing.

Why is a low approach with full flaps an improper decision?

plane had gone down in a corn field.
I stated I would look and orbit.
I teach "normal" landings with partial flaps, and reserve full flaps only when circumstances warrant. Cessna's flaps are very effective, which makes a forward slip an unnecessary maneuver in most cases. Additionally, this is one situation where a 20-deg flap would have resulted in a non-event. I get some flak for doing most landings with 20-deg flaps, but it makes go-arounds easier, and a longer float (which is actually useful for teaching the roundout and flare because it lasts longer). Short field, soft fields and engine out landings of course should be done with full flaps.

Once you realize how stupid it is to default to full flaps with no thought given to what can go wrong while flying an underpowered high wing Cessna, you become a better pilot.

(20 years flying one of Cessna's most notorious underpowered airplanes, a 150 horse Cessna 177, also 300 hours Cessna 150B in all kinds of summer weather with two people)

NTSB Report out. Nothing surprising....

So Gryder crashed a stranger's plane and then refused to cooperate in the investigation. I'm sure this won't cost him any of his remaining fans though.

Why is a low approach with full flaps an improper decision?
A few reasons, at least. It was illegal. The airplane may or may not have had known electrical issues. The POH recommends against takeoffs and go arounds with full flaps. He left himself no options if something went wrong.

The NTSB final took 12 days shy of two years to investigate and publish.

Impressive.
I'm sure this did not help to speed things along:

Multiple requests to obtain a completed National Transportation Safety Board Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident/Incident form and a statement from the right seat pilot were unsuccessful.

I flew a 150 in the 70's that had manual flaps. One day solo, practicing landings flaps 40, as I went to raise the flaps, my thumb slipped off the button on top. The button was no longer attached to the lock actuator and it flew out of the Johnson bar. Could not raise the flaps. Good thing I was solo, with about 1/2 tanks and I only weighed about 100 lbs then. I think by the time I got back around to land I got about 300 above field elevation turning base to final. That was at sea level.

I don't find it surprising that a Cessna 150 that was so poorly maintained that its owner's SOP was to hand-prop it had a flap failure.
The only way the investigators could duplicate the failure was by pulling a breaker. But photos showed that the flap switch had been obscured by a USB charger that someone removed before the investigators got to the plane.:rolleyes1:

The only way the investigators could duplicate the failure was by pulling a breaker. But photos showed that the flap switch had been obscured by a USB charger that someone removed before the investigators got to the plane.:rolleyes1:
OTOH, this wouldn't be the first time I, or any other number of pilots, have seen, experienced, or heard of in-flight failures that the mechanics "couldn't duplicate" on the ground... but they were real. I'm not sure I buy DG's story, but I'm also not sure anyone can prove they are lying, and as a pilot, I don't want to go down that path.

OTOH, this wouldn't be the first time I, or any other number of pilots, have seen, experienced, or heard of in-flight failures that the mechanics "couldn't duplicate" on the ground... but they were real. I'm not sure I buy DG's story, but I'm also not sure anyone can prove they are lying, and as a pilot, I don't want to go down that path.
The NTSB didn't call him a liar, and neither did I. Just reporting facts.

So he has no issue making a Youtube video to talk all about the accident, but won't speak with NTSB. That's interesting... what do they say about standing behind your words? Anywho, I digress.

A few reasons, at least. It was illegal. The airplane may or may not have had known electrical issues. The POH recommends against takeoffs and go arounds with full flaps. He left himself no options if something went wrong.
I don't think a POH recommendation against landing aborts makes them illegal, just unwise. A panel placard prohibiting them would make it illegal. In any case, doing them as a matter of course is definitely asking for trouble.

If it was obvious that the airplane wasn't going to get down and stopped within the runway length, I'd go around, too, as I would if a deer or person or vehicle went onto the runway when I was on short final.

I don't think a POH recommendation against landing aborts makes them illegal, just unwise. A panel placard prohibiting them would make it illegal. In any case, doing them as a matter of course is definitely asking for trouble.

If it was obvious that the airplane wasn't going to get down and stopped within the runway length, I'd go around, too, as I would if a deer or person or vehicle went onto the runway when I was on short final.
The POH doesn't make it illegal. But flying within 500' of people and structures with no intention of landing is illegal.

Back