C150F N7893F crash near KSQI 7/24/21

Why do you think we'd leave the flaps at 40° for the rest of the flight?
Because electric flaps can fail. That's the major point here. Standard procedure, as you say, would be to get them up to 20° after powering up. Cessna's flaps give the most lift for the least drag at around 20°, with increasing drag and not much more lift after that.

Of course not. Throttle in, carb-heat off, start climbing, gradually retract flaps

So your flaps weren't stuck at 40° like the accident aircraft, but it's the same exact thing. :rolleyes:

Why would your experience be relevant if you didn't?

Because, although it isn't a normal procedure, my experience was that the airplane would still climb, albeit slowly, with 40 degrees. I agree that this might not be the case for heavy people, or at high DA. I don't remember rushing to get the flaps to half.

....Why would your experience be relevant if you didn't?

none of this is relevant since they weren't landing, they were doing a low approach. and I'm still not sure why anyone would be doing that, in a 150 or really any plane, with full flaps, especially 40*.

none of this is relevant since they weren't landing, they were doing a low approach. and I'm still not sure why anyone would be doing that, in a 150 or really any plane, with full flaps, especially 40*.
Were I to sink to mean spirited speculation, which I won't, I would say that the intent was to show off and land on the STOL runway, and when it became apparent that they couldn't make it, the decision was made to call it a "low approach" rather than a botched landing. But, I would never say something like that.

Because, although it isn't a normal procedure, my experience was that the airplane would still climb, albeit slowly, with 40 degrees. I agree that this might not be the case for heavy people, or at high DA. I don't remember rushing to get the flaps to half.
Yeah, with some lighter types it will climb a tad... I've done that with me and a college-age student on a summer afternoon (think 100F) here in Texas. Doesn't mean I'm recommending it to anyone else.

Were I to sink to mean spirited speculation, which I won't, I would say that the intent was to show off and land on the STOL runway, and when it became apparent that they couldn't make it, the decision was made to call it a "low approach" rather than a botched landing. But, I would never say something like that.

ah yes, finally someone starting to make sense out of this debacle.

So your flaps weren't stuck at 40° like the accident aircraft, but it's the same exact thing. :rolleyes:
We were able to climb with 40° flaps. So if they were stuck, we could have climbed slowly away. The procedure for a go around is to retract the flaps, which is what was done. As we were climbing with 40° flaps, I'm sure the plane would continue to climb even if they weren't retracted.
There are multiple posts claiming in this thread that a C-150 couldn't climb at all with 40° flaps, and my responses have been to those posts. My experience has been that it can, in the circumstances I was exposed to.

Because electric flaps can fail. That's the major point here. Standard procedure, as you say, would be to get them up to 20° after powering up. Cessna's flaps give the most lift for the least drag at around 20°, with increasing drag and not much more lift after that.
I'm sorry, I still don't see your point. The plane climbed with 40° flaps for me, and also for me and an instructor. If motor had failed, it would continue to climb slowly. I'd have just climbed out and landed.

I have flown with a few military aviators over the years. One gave a pre-takeoff briefing: 'If we crash this thing, you exit through this door, I exit through that door, and we meet 50m behind the plane to get our story straight for the board.'

WThe procedure for a go around is to retract the flaps, which is what was done. As we were climbing with 40° flaps, I'm sure the plane would continue to climb even if they weren't retracted.

Contradicting yourself or sure of something you've never done.

Fact, the C150 owner's manual says climb angle can be "marginal" with just TEN degrees of flaps depending on DA. If it's marginal with 10° guess what it might be with 40°.

Inquiring minds. Will Matt Guthmiller return the favor and call BS on Dan’s version of what happened and try to out him on his YouTube channel. I mean it does look suspicious that Dan wore clothes & shoes fitting for a crash into a tall corn field, and somehow managed to keep his hat on despite supposedly crashing upside down.

Sorry! Could resist the cheap shot.

Contradicting yourself or sure of something you've never done.

Fact, the C150 owner's manual says climb angle can be "marginal" with just TEN degrees of flaps depending on DA. If it's marginal with 10° guess what it might be with 40°.
I've done it. I haven't done it at high density altitude as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Any plane will have climb issues with a sufficiently high density altitude. How many people have crashed in mountains? @Everskyward has climbed out in a C-150 with 40° flaps, too. Go arounds have been taught in C-150's for decades.

Why do you say I'm contradicting myself? Here's what I posted earlier:
Of course not. Throttle in, carb-heat off, start climbing, gradually retract flaps.

Because you said you retracted the flaps during your go-around, and also said you climbed with 40° of flaps.
I think you read it backwards. Read the quoted post under my reply again, please note the order.
for your convenience, here it is again:
Of course not. Throttle in, carb-heat off, start climbing, gradually retract flaps.

Yes, I do retract the flaps during go-arounds. The plane will climb out better. Just because the plane does manage to climb with 40° of flaps doesn't mean I should leave them like that. The carb heat is very important, leaving it in will severely reduce power, enough that you may not be able to climb. Fortunately, I've been able to learn that without repercussions.

Inquiring minds. Will Matt Guthmiller return the favor and call BS on Dan’s version of what happened and try to out him on his YouTube channel. I mean it does look suspicious that Dan wore clothes & shoes fitting for a crash into a tall corn field, and somehow managed to keep his hat on despite supposedly crashing upside down.

Sorry! Could resist the cheap shot.
What did Guthmiller do that attracted Dan's attention?

I think you read it backwards. Read the quoted post under my reply again, please note the order

Here is what you also wrote:

The procedure for a go around is to retract the flaps

Excuse me for thinking that by "the procedure", you meant the procedure in the Cessna manual, which is as follows:

"The wing flap setting should be reduced to 20° immediately after full power is applied."

please note the order

Of course not. Throttle in, carb-heat off, start climbing, gradually retract flaps

I see, your order is incorrect, and is not "the procedure" called for by the manufacturer of the aircraft.

If you use your homemade procedure to "starting climbing [then] gradually retract flaps", someday you will replicate this accident but won't need the mechanical malfunction to do so.

This. I learned in 150s, albeit at sea level. I remember not being allowed to use 40 degrees of flaps pre-solo, but post-solo that's how short field, and some other landings were done. I don't remember any problems with inability to go around.
Same. Its been quite a while now so I can't swear that we weren't limited to partial flaps for normal ops but I certainly don't recall that being the case. And we did more than our fair share of go arounds during my training, and flaps are the last thing that gets touched during that procedure and I don't ever recall the plane not climbing until we started pulling flaps in. Again its been years so I can't swear to it but I do not recall lumbering along with the plane not starting to climb until we got some of the flaps in.

I won't say Dan's incorrect in his 'it just won't climb with 40 degrees of flaps out' claim. But boy it sure seems like if that were the case, a lot of time would have been spent drilling into students heads to not expect any climb from the 150 until flaps are reduced during a go around and to therefore get flaps reduced as soon as possible after full power. Shrug.

What did Guthmiller do that attracted Dan's attention?
Another Dan conspiracy claim. In this one a young couple went into the drink off the coast of California and were fished out by a Coast Guard S&R crew. Crazy Uncle Dan somehow theorizes that Guthmiller was involved in a conspiracy to intentionally crash the plane. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Dan putting out any follow up showing any evidence to support his claim.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Dan putting out any follow up showing any evidence to support his claim.

Well in this crazy world we live in it's not proof that counts but rather "the seriousness of the accusation." Even if he is found to be distorting the truth (I'm trying to be kind here) the damage is done and he has his 15 minutes of fame.

a lot of time would have been spent drilling into students heads...to therefore get flaps reduced as soon as possible after full power.

Yeah, considering that's exactly what Cessna says to do, that's what I drill into students heads.

Here is what you also wrote:

Excuse me for thinking that by "the procedure", you meant the procedure in the Cessna manual, which is as follows:

"The wing flap setting should be reduced to 20° immediately after full power is applied."

I see, your order is incorrect, and is not "the procedure" called for by the manufacturer of the aircraft.

If you use your homemade procedure to "starting climbing [then] gradually retract flaps", someday you will replicate this accident but won't need the mechanical malfunction to do so.
That's right. Full throttle, carb heat off (which makes full power), flaps gradually up. The planes I flew mostly had the paddle switch, and didn't show the flap angle.
As you got the flaps to approximately 20°, you are close to 65 mile per hour and you can raise them altogether.
Here's an owner's manual, under "balked landing", they specify carb heat off before reducing the flaps.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...90793526d/1596227155788/Cessna+150+POH+#2.pdf

I'm not sure what your point is, as the plane can climb with 40°flaps. Like I said, it doesn't climb well

Well in this crazy world we live in it's not proof that counts but rather "the seriousness of the accusation." Even if he is found to be distorting the truth (I'm trying to be kind here) the damage is done and he has his 15 minutes of fame.
Agreed. Unless there was some follow up I missed, it seems Dan was just being another big mouth chasing likes & views.

Another Dan conspiracy claim. In this one a young couple went into the drink off the coast of California and were fished out by a Coast Guard S&R crew. Crazy Uncle Dan somehow theorizes that Guthmiller was involved in a conspiracy to intentionally crash the plane. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Dan putting out any follow up showing any evidence to support his claim.
I knew about that ditching, but I didn't know about Guthmiller's involvement.

There were a lot of people here who thought the incident was intentional for some reason or another, but to me that theory never added up.

For some reason I'm reminded of this attachment from the joke thread:

insurance-scam-jpg.97540

There's an owner's manual, under "balked landing", they specify carb heat off before reducing the flaps.

I never mentioned carb heat, and carb heat is not the issue we are discussing.

The POH quote is:
In a balked landing (go-around) climb, the wing flap setting should be reduced to 200 immediately after full power is applied.

What you wrote was:
Throttle in, carb-heat off, start climbing, gradually retract flaps.

Are you advocating waiting until establishing a positive rate of climb before retracting the flaps?

I'm not sure what your point is, as the plane can climb with 40°flaps.

Yeah, well it can climb with the engine off too. Your argument is ridiculous.

I never mentioned carb heat, and carb heat is not the issue we are discussing.

The POH quote is:
In a balked landing (go-around) climb, the wing flap setting should be reduced to 200 immediately after full power is applied.

What you wrote was:
Throttle in, carb-heat off, start climbing, gradually retract flaps.

Are you advocating waiting until establishing a positive rate of climb before retracting the flaps?

Yeah, well it can climb with the engine off too. Your argument is ridiculous.
Nope. But I have climbed a C-150 with a flight instructor with 40° of flaps. Like I said, I doubt I could do it in Denver during the summer, but it worked fine in New Jersey. The climb rate wasn't great. but it did climb. My experience is worth the same as anyone else's here.

But I have climbed a C-150 with a flight instructor with 40° of flaps.

"The plane did it once for a brief moment, therefore it can do it."

How many feet did you climb with 40° of flaps? What was your climb rate? What was your climb rate trend? What was your climb gradient? What was your airspeed? What was your airspeed trend? What was the weight of the aircraft? What was the density altitude?

Our flight school was at just under 3000 feet. On warm days in the summer the DA was way over 5000 feet, nearing 6000. The 150 didn't want to climb worth a hoot with full flaps and full power, carb heat off. Maybe 100 FPM at most. It's one of the reasons we sold them and used the 172s instead.

Here's the climb data from a 1969 150 POH:

upload_2021-7-28_14-44-45.png

At 5000 feet and standard temp for that altitude, the climb rate has already lost 34%. If it's a 91°F day, we take off another 15 fpm for each 10°F, so we lose another 75 fpm, down to 365 fpm. And that's with a clean airplane, flaps up, a good engine putting out its best, and leaning as per this paragraph elsewhere in the POH:

upload_2021-7-28_14-50-28.png

Then it says this about flaps:

upload_2021-7-28_14-53-9.png

A climb rate, is a climb rate, is a climb rate. It didn't happen often, but I had tows in my banner days where best I could get out of it was about 25 fpm. You know what? When its all the plane will do, a 25 fpm climb is better than a 25 fpm descent. I'd fly a nice gentle circle over the water for a few minutes to get high enough to cross the bridges on the back bay and make my way out to the ocean. It didn't happen often, but it did happen.

"The plane did it once for a brief moment, therefore it can do it."

How many feet did you climb with 40° of flaps? What was your climb rate? What was your climb rate trend? What was your climb gradient? What was your airspeed? What was your airspeed trend? What was the weight of the aircraft? What was the density altitude?
What's your point? My experience is that I could, with a flight instructor also in the plane, climb with 40° flaps. It climbed long enough for a ham-fisted student to work things out with the flaps. I'm sorry my experience doesn't conform with your beliefs, but that's too bad.

We were able to climb with 40° flaps. So if they were stuck, we could have climbed slowly away. The procedure for a go around is to retract the flaps, which is what was done. As we were climbing with 40° flaps, I'm sure the plane would continue to climb even if they weren't retracted.

There are multiple posts claiming in this thread that a C-150 couldn't climb at all with 40° flaps, and my responses have been to those posts. My experience has been that it can, in the circumstances I was exposed to.
I own a 150F and it really depends on how hot it is. I would not want to count on the airplane climbing over the trees at the end of the runway with 40 degree flaps in summer, but I am sure it would work in winter. I would rather take off 50 pounds over gross weight in winter than 200 pounds under gross in summer it seems to be that dramatic.

What's your point? My experience is that I could, with a flight instructor also in the plane, climb with 40° flaps. It climbed long enough for a ham-fisted student to work things out with the flaps. I'm sorry my experience doesn't conform with your beliefs, but that's too bad.

I think the point is that this is Matthias Fridgen in his reasonably common prosecutorial inquiry mode.

What belief do you believe I have? That it would never be possible to climb with 40° flaps in a Cessna 150? I never said that, and I don't believe that. I'm sorry that you believed something about my beliefs that I don't believe. I'm also sorry that you believe your experience is relevant to this accident scenario.

I've got well over 1000 hours in 150s. It's been my experience that with two adults on a summer day with little wind, it's unlikely you'd be able to climb out with 40 degrees of flaps. Heck, with two full size adults, and just enough fuel to be legal, you're looking at an anemic climb rate with NO flaps in a stock 150. Could I do an approach with 40 degrees of flaps with the nose pointed down and the airspeed at 100 mph (Vfe) and then point the nose upwards and see a climb, sure, as I watch the airspeed quickly decay. If I'm at a typical landing speed with 40 degrees of flaps and I decide to go around close to the ground, those flaps better come up as it's unlikely I'm gonna climb with them at 40. I think that the people that don't use 40 degrees of flaps for normal landings in a 150 have experienced hard landings at 40 as the sink rate takes some finesse and timing to arrest. You're essentially behind the power curve at landing airspeeds with 40 degrees of flaps and full power ain't enough to climb out without decreasing the amount of drag from 40 degrees of flaps.

That may well be, but Dan is now on video saying he knew he couldn't land there and had no intention to. I guess that somehow saves face on the missed landing, but adds a whole bunch of factors to the crash. Far be it from me to tell a YouTube celebrity that he should learn when to shut up.

That may well be, but Dan is now on video saying he knew he couldn't land there and had no intention to. I guess that somehow saves face on the missed landing, but adds a whole bunch of factors to the crash. Far be it from me to tell a YouTube celebrity that he should learn when to shut up.
Sounds like the standard advice an attorney might give.

Back