Burger thread #24: McDonalds' switch to fresh beef

Will fresh beef improve McDonalds' standing in the burger hierarchy?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
McDonald's sucks........enough said
mcdonalds-SUCKS.jpg

There was an old joke that McD's had sold 140 million burgers and the execs had to consider slaughtering a third cow.

Yah, they sell crap... but sometimes I need some cheap calories so I'll do a Big Mac and McNuggets. Probably 2-3 times a year.

Every adjustment they've made to appeal to the Chipotle eaters has made their food worse. They aren't using cow fat to make the fries, and the fries have sucked ever since, whereas McDonald's used to have the best fries. They try to cover it with salt. Gross.

They changed the chicken nuggets to an "all natural" nugget... and they taste worse too.

I never ate at McDonald's because it was healthy. Or vegan friendly. Or anything else. And you're not going to convince those people to eat at McDonald's no matter what you do. So they need to keep appealing to those that got them where they are and stop trying to increase sales by appealing to a demographic that will never eat there.

i like the bacon egg and cheese if im on travel. otherwise, steak and shake, five guys, etc. mcdonalds has a looooooooooong way to go before its a premium brand.

oooooh nice suit. walmart?

I like sausage and egg McMuffs, and if I'm actually going to eat the bun, a double quarter pounder with cheese hits the spot. But it's down there on my fast food priority. Near the bottom.

I would rather eat food from a vending machine.

I used to think McD's nuggets were an acceptable way to eat their Spicy Mustard sauce. Had some last week, they are 1/3 thinner and overcooked . . . . Now there's nothing on their menu I can eat.

Last edited:
Coffee is the only thing I'll take from McDs. Haven't eaten anything from there in many, many years.

Coffee and eggmcmuffin are acceptable breakfast on the fly. Nothing else is edible though.

McD's hamburgers have always been bland, frozen or not. You can't fix it without seasoning changes, which would depart from their formula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the thing about Mc Donald's... I can name all kinds of places that have better burgers and if I want a high-end burger I can go to those places. Heck, I can do much better with my grill at home. However, sometimes I'm out running errands or on a long trip and I don't feel like driving a half-hour or more out of my way to get to a premium burger joint nor do I want to sit in the drive-thru for 15 minutes.

There's usually a McDonald's nearby, most people in the car are going to be able to find something on the menu they like, the drive-thrus are normally faster than anywhere else, and while I may not be having a culinary experience I'll get some reasonably tasty food that will be satisfying without much hassle. That's what Mc Donald's customers are looking for and that's what they get. They're really barking up the wrong tree with all this marketing towards the "all natural" crowd.

Art VanDelay, post: 2258635, member: 9082"]I do like the .49 cent sliders from time to time. I just have to watch out that wife doesn't find out.
Forty-nine cents? You apparently haven't been to McDonalds for a while.

Yeah I never got what those were supposed to prove, food dries out especially when it's salty. Make a homemade burger of the same thickness and keep it in the same way and you'll likely get the same results.

Yeah I never got what those were supposed to prove, food dries out especially when it's salty. Make a homemade burger of the same thickness and keep it in the same way and you'll likely get the same results.
You should try that. What about the bun? If I leave a bun out it molds pretty quickly. Fast food buns never mold for some strange reasono_O

You should try that. What about the bun? If I leave a bun out it molds pretty quickly. Fast food buns never mold for some strange reasono_O

I've had bread dry out and not go moldy before, but it molds at least as often. I usually have it in a bag though. I imagine time of year and humidity/temperature are pretty critical. If you think about it though, dried meat isn't new when we do it on purpose it's called jerky. Both in the old days and now something they used salt to help cure and dry the meat. Fast food burgers are full of salt so it just doesn't seem that unreasonable to me they'd dry out. No moisture = no mold.

I'm down for an experiment but it might take some thinking to find a place neither the dogs or my wife will remove burgers sitting on the counter for months. :p

I'm down for an experiment but it might take some thinking to find a place neither the dogs or my wife will remove burgers sitting on the counter for months. :p

I'm not going to say I was sober at the time, but...

As opposed to before when they were using not-fresh beef?

I'm not sure this qualifies as a positive image endorsement.

Here in the high desert any bread left out for an hour is already hard. Leave it out for a day and you could build a house with it. But no mold. Need moisture for that, I guess.

It proves that the food is loaded with preservatives and anti-fungal agents. Being marketed as "fresh" is false advertising, as it's anything but that. 2 years from the date of purchase and no sign of decomposition...

If we purchase a loaf of bread, usually an organic whole grain variety, it turns moldy within a week of laying out on the counter, as it should.

But then again, McD's doesn't excite me very much.

Last edited:
What does that mean?

Snopes is a myth-debunking website. The photo of the old McD's stuff is real, but several people have taken homemade in-salted hamburgers and put them side-by side with a fresh McD's burger and they all look the same if kept in identical conditions.

Long story short: if it's in a low humidity environment, it dries out before mold/etc. can form. If you put it in a ziplock bag, any burger will mold, McD's included. Salt content has little to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One had to give the author of the picture props for having rediscovered the not-so-lost art of marking jerky... Three gold stars for you!

Nothing more to add about the McD food. But got a +'ve story about McD.

Many nations are tea drinkers. Did a project nearly 20 years ago in northwest India. Flew in and out of Delhi. Inbound, the usual airport pickup and straight on the road to the job. Spent 16 days desperately trying to find a decent cup of coffee anywhere in the region to no avail. And I mean desperate. Longest stretch for me without coffee since I was a pre-schooler. If this had been Japan, probably would have done the sword through the abdomen thing.

Get back to New Delhi, have a hotel for the day as my flight leaves next day early morning. Spot those double arches a block from hotel. Filed direct with no intermediate waypoints to that destination immediately upon checking in. Coffee tasted EXACTLY like back home. There is a merciful God after all. Passed on the Maharajah burger - lamb, not beef. No idea if it was "fresh" or frozen pattie, or if there was mold in the bun. ;)

Last edited:

Many nations are tea drinkers. Did a project nearly 20 years ago in northwest India. Flew in and out of Delhi. Inbound, the usual airport pickup and straight on the road to the job. Spent 16 days desperately trying to find a decent cup of coffee anywhere in the region to no avail. And I mean desperate. Longest stretch for me without coffee since I was a pre-schooler. If this had been Japan, probably would have done the sword through the abdomen thing.

Get back to New Delhi, have a hotel for the day as my flight leaves next day early morning. Spot those double arches a block from hotel. Filed direct with no intermediate waypoints to that destination immediately upon checking in. Coffee tasted EXACTLY like back home. There is a merciful God after all. Passed on the Maharajah burger - lamb, not beef. No idea if it was "fresh" or frozen pattie, or if there was mold in the bun. ;)
If you didn't like the tea in India to the point of not caring about coffee....god help ya.

I should edit this. Lived in India for 3 months. Had tea in everything from the local maharajah's hotel to a truck stop to a villager's home. Wonderful flavor. The hospitality went up as the status went down. The tea in the countryside was wonderful.

Last edited:

Yeah but in India you can take a dump on the sidewalk! That makes up for lack of coffee me thinks!

Back