Building Multi-Time and finding local turbine experience

Cjserio

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris S
I'll start by admitting, I'm not sure what exactly I'm asking here...I think i just want to have a discussion and see what people have to say.

I've been flying for 17 years but I only have 350 hours. I have my Commercial, Multiengine Instrument ratings (complex and high performance signoffs of course). I went to college, bought a house, had 2 kids etc...all the while, putting aviation on the back burner. But it's time to start flying again! I have a full time job...not as a pilot but as a software developer and I'm not looking to leave my job...though my work hours are fairly flexible.

BUT....I love flying. More specifically, I love flying twins and turboprops. Again, I'm not looking to become a full time charter pilot. In my ideal fantasy world, I'd love to fly an aircraft a handful of times a month...perhaps for a private owner or someone who just wants a second pair of eyes or split the workload somewhere from time to time when they need to travel.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I'm what I like to call an "adolescent" pilot. I'm 32 and I have enough experience that I'm not a total rookie, but not great enough that anyone will take me seriously...especially insurance companies.

So the first hurdle is...how do I get multi-time? I'm in CT and I don't really know of anyone that rents twin engines around here...nor can I afford the outrageous rates they'll want for one...probably $300/hr nowadays. Plus, I'm looking for real hours...not a race to the finish where I plop down $30,000 and just fly my @$$ off. I'd love to meet someone with a twin that just sits most of the time that would be willing to let me take it for operating costs.

The second hurdle is...finding someone with the right equipment. I have to believe there are plenty of single pilot King Air C90s, Conquests, Cheyennes etc that would be happy to have someone sit right seat and take a load off for them...but I just don't know how to meet those types of people that would be willing to share the experience.

Anyone been in my shoes that just wants to smell the JET-A burn but not want an accelerated career track to the majors?

Find a charter company in your area,fly the right seat. Not easy in your situation.

If you hang around the airport and talk to people, and get a reputation as someone who's happy to come along and fill the right seat, you may eventually start to get invites. It won't happen overnight.

I'll start by admitting, I'm not sure what exactly I'm asking here...I think i just want to have a discussion and see what people have to say.

I've been flying for 17 years but I only have 350 hours. I have my Commercial, Multiengine Instrument ratings (complex and high performance signoffs of course). I went to college, bought a house, had 2 kids etc...all the while, putting aviation on the back burner. But it's time to start flying again! I have a full time job...not as a pilot but as a software developer and I'm not looking to leave my job...though my work hours are fairly flexible.

BUT....I love flying. More specifically, I love flying twins and turboprops. Again, I'm not looking to become a full time charter pilot. In my ideal fantasy world, I'd love to fly an aircraft a handful of times a month...perhaps for a private owner or someone who just wants a second pair of eyes or split the workload somewhere from time to time when they need to travel.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I'm what I like to call an "adolescent" pilot. I'm 32 and I have enough experience that I'm not a total rookie, but not great enough that anyone will take me seriously...especially insurance companies.

So the first hurdle is...how do I get multi-time? I'm in CT and I don't really know of anyone that rents twin engines around here...nor can I afford the outrageous rates they'll want for one...probably $300/hr nowadays. Plus, I'm looking for real hours...not a race to the finish where I plop down $30,000 and just fly my @$$ off. I'd love to meet someone with a twin that just sits most of the time that would be willing to let me take it for operating costs.

The second hurdle is...finding someone with the right equipment. I have to believe there are plenty of single pilot King Air C90s, Conquests, Cheyennes etc that would be happy to have someone sit right seat and take a load off for them...but I just don't know how to meet those types of people that would be willing to share the experience.

Anyone been in my shoes that just wants to smell the JET-A burn but not want an accelerated career track to the majors?

Well you'll need to get a job, or just stick to being a weekend pilot, unless you have the money to buy your own C90.

I'd look into drop zones, once you hit 1k hrs you could probably get into a twin otter or king air, maybe work weekends or something.

what specifically do you love about twins and turboprops? Those are great tools to do a job, but it doesn't sound like your family and work situation has a job for them to do. With that being the case, what is it about them that you find interesting ?

couple examples,
at our home in america we spend weekends at our farm a couple states away, and trip is often over the ozarks at night. For that job i wanted a twin but don't need a big load hauler, the little beech travel air fits that trip perfectly.

here at our temporary home in oz, we have a neighbor who's building a house in the woods on the other side of the island. He's got an old king air 90 and it's been used to fly in all the building materials. It's great for that job, and I often make a cabin run for him in it. He also let's us use it for personal travel up to the mainland and it's comforting to have 2 turbines for overwater.

But neither of these planes would I ever say I "love", especially the rube goldberg maintenance mess that is the king air. It's stone simple to fly though, makes it relaxing, but not loveable.

I could "love" a champ or cub or ercoupe that is for nothing but fun. Or an RV or Rans that I had the pride of building. But i don't see how anyone could "love" a flying ford transit van.

Network in the aviation community. If you don't have pilots where you work, you will need to start hanging out at FBOs. Go on small XC runs and visit with the locals. Do some PnP (or other rescue) missions. That will get you coordinated with other pilots.

If your job does not give you the financial freedom to throw money away, and you aren't looking to fly for a career, you may need to settle for less than your twin fetish.

Well ... I mean... your fetish for airplanes with twin engines.

What's your goal? Fly bigger equipment for fun or professional pilot? If pro, corporate, charter, or airline??

Thanks to everyone that replied. It sounds like what I expected....network and chat with people and be in the right place at the right time to find the right opportunities.

what specifically do you love about twins and turboprops? Those are great tools to do a job, but it doesn't sound like your family and work situation has a job for them to do. With that being the case, what is it about them that you find interesting ?

I feel like it's the next step for me. I love the challenge. I love learning new systems. I love learning how bigger aircraft respond. I love the ability to actually take some people some distance comfortably. I can only fly a Piper Warrior for so many hours until they long for something a bit more complicated.

What's your goal? Fly bigger equipment for fun or professional pilot? If pro, corporate, charter, or airline??

My goal some day is to fly corporate or charter. I'm not sure that'll ever happen because I'm not interested in flying constant trips and endless overnights. I'd be happy flying for an owner who makes a few short trips a month. I know there aren't a lot of jobs out there like that but I do know of a couple of people that have found them. It allows them to have a life outside of aviation which i would require.

The best way to get known...........Let's put it better........The VERY best way to network and get known, is to work at the largest FBO in your area as a line crew.

And.....be "Johnny on the spot."

Start an LLC or S Corp, and start consulting. Don't go to work for an existing consulting company. They won't let you fly where you need to go.

We had a risk management consultant on site a couple of months ago to run a workshop. He had one of those "your name" Consulting, LLC type companies. He has 4600 hours and has never been paid to fly. Almost all of it is flying personally owned aircraft to client sites.

Jim

uuummmm, flying other people's airplanes for a living is a good way to lose weight due to lack of food.
I can tell you that fixing other people's software problems is way more remunerative. The downside is you will gain weight.

Sounds like a case of shiny twin syndrome. Working your way up at a DZ could work but goodbye weekends. All of them, all day. 350 hours with all those ratings, my concern would be lack of self directed PIC time. You need to adjust your sensibilities and go fly a bunch, Warriors and such plebeian crap. Meeting people while flying is way more effective then meeting people while talking about flying on someone else's nickel.

I'm sure there is a corporate flight dept. with a twin based at your airport. Build a rep around there and ask for right seat time. I've already been invited, and I don't even have my PPL.

Sounds like a case of shiny twin syndrome. Working your way up at a DZ could work but goodbye weekends. All of them, all day. 350 hours with all those ratings, my concern would be lack of self directed PIC time. You need to adjust your sensibilities and go fly a bunch, Warriors and such plebeian crap. Meeting people while flying is way more effective then meeting people while talking about flying on someone else's nickel.

It's hard to disagree with you. I do need more PIC time. I'm just growing tired of spending my own hard earned cash on flying around in circles.

I want to go places and do fun things but it's hard to pack a family in a small rented Piper Warrior only to hurry back so the next renter can fly around in circles and spend his hard earned cash. :)

These are clearly all 1st world problems. I'm not trying to complain...I'm certainly blessed to even be able to fly at all but my gut aspires for more.

The best way to get known...........Let's put it better........The VERY best way to network and get known, is to work at the largest FBO in your area as a line crew.

And.....be "Johnny on the spot."

That is great advice for a very young person just starting out and who doesn't have an established career or family. However for someone who does have an established career but is looking for a way to transition to a new one, i.e. flying, taking a lower paying job to do so isn't always a viable alternative.

In Connecticut check with the fbo at Chester Airport. They have a number of twins the fbo owns that are constantly flying. Not sure if they rent them or not but it might be worth asking.

Keith

That is great advice for a very young person just starting out and who doesn't have an established career or family. However for someone who does have an established career but is looking for a way to transition to a new one, i.e. flying, taking a lower paying job to do so isn't always a viable alternative.

Yeap...this is how i got into aviation to begin with. I lived a mile from the airport. Worked there through highschool and college and knew every owner on the field. That was pre 9/11 back when fuel was less than half of what it is today. Most of those owners are gone...most of those planes are somewhere else and now i don't know a soul nor do i have time to just lounge around FBOs. :(

In Connecticut check with the fbo at Chester Airport. They have a number of twins the fbo owns that are constantly flying. Not sure if they rent them or not but it might be worth asking.

Keith

Anyone you know there Keith? You fly out of KSNC?

Yeap...this is how i got into aviation to begin with. I lived a mile from the airport. Worked there through highschool and college and knew every owner on the field. That was pre 9/11 back when fuel was less than half of what it is today. Most of those owners are gone...most of those planes are somewhere else and now i don't know a soul nor do i have time to just lounge around FBOs. :(

Yeah. I wish I could go back to the GA maintenance world so I could meet more pilots/owners for that reason. However, it would be a significant pay cut for me to leave the airline & MRO world as it does pay much better. The good thing is that my current income does allow me to fly more than I used to be able to.

Are there any aviation organizations in your area?

I might suggest doing the CFI, CFII, and MEI. Having a CFI ticket will get you access to more cockpits and diverse aircraft. Many of the CFIs I know have access to an airplane or two that they fly on occasion in exchange for flying with their owners. if you want to fly turbine aircraft, you'll have to work up to it.

uuummmm, flying other people's airplanes for a living is a good way to lose weight due to lack of food.
I can tell you that fixing other people's software problems is way more remunerative. The downside is you will gain weight.

I sure hope you're right. I'd like to drop 30 lbs! But even the busy days with no food haven't had much impact....yet! :confused:

I might suggest doing the CFI, CFII, and MEI. Having a CFI ticket will get you access to more cockpits and diverse aircraft. Many of the CFIs I know have access to an airplane or two that they fly on occasion in exchange for flying with their owners. if you want to fly turbine aircraft, you'll have to work up to it.

:yeahthat:

Absolutely fastest and best way to get more time and varied experiences on someone else's dime.

I've thought about getting a job with Ameriflght if I were ever "between (real) jobs". That would be fun.

Personally, after 33 years flying and 30 of which has been trying to make a living, my advice is:

Every single person on the planet should fly as much as they can as a hobby. Get the ratings and have fun!! Private/multi/instrument is about right.

No person on Earth should ever go through the hell of trying to make it a career. Yes, it definitely works for some, and I'm not trying to discourage the dreamers. That said, the key word is "some".

Where do you live? Networking works if your in an area with people that can help you open the doors. The advice to get your CFII and MEI is spot on. You will learn how to fly, get paid a few bucks but more importantly build a network. Going straight to flying a twin with your time is like putting a line of code in the wrong place :D

My son got a job flying Citations by just being an instructor at a local airport, being friendly and one day they asked him if he wanted to fly around the pattern to do a maintenance flight...well DUH! That flight led to a few more then a full time job and a type rating. That led to a commuter job and finally now is a stay at home Dad. Loves flying but hated the stuff that one puts up with as a professional. Still teaches some but he is happy with two types, almost 8000 hours and being a Dad.

I had 3800 hours and flew G1's for an oil company. My brother who is older only had 350 hours but I directed him through my network to a pipeline patrol company. I now have almost 22000 hours and he retired/medical a few years ago with 45000 hours...all single engine. all low level.

First thing you do is buy a low cost twin and fly it 1200 hrs (getting your MEI and selling ratings and time building packages is the best route to get this done quickly) and then get your ATP. With 1000hrs ME you'll qualify to insure at most operations.

Where do you live? Networking works if your in an area with people that can help you open the doors. The advice to get your CFII and MEI is spot on. You will learn how to fly, get paid a few bucks but more importantly build a network. Going straight to flying a twin with your time is like putting a line of code in the wrong place :D

My son got a job flying Citations by just being an instructor at a local airport, being friendly and one day they asked him if he wanted to fly around the pattern to do a maintenance flight...well DUH! That flight led to a few more then a full time job and a type rating. That led to a commuter job and finally now is a stay at home Dad. Loves flying but hated the stuff that one puts up with as a professional. Still teaches some but he is happy with two types, almost 8000 hours and being a Dad.

I had 3800 hours and flew G1's for an oil company. My brother who is older only had 350 hours but I directed him through my network to a pipeline patrol company. I now have almost 22000 hours and he retired/medical a few years ago with 45000 hours...all single engine. all low level.

I live in CT. I have not found a very large aviation presence here. It's certainly no CA. I have been toying around with the idea of moving on to my instructor ratings but for a different reason. I've taught other things in my life professionally and I've always found that I'm better when I have to teach others...so I figured the same would be true in aviation...I'd be a better pilot if i had to learn things so in depth that I could teach it to a laymen. I did not intend on using the ratings to actually employ myself as a teacher but whether or do or not, it's probably not a bad path to take...fairly minimal financial cost as well.

Can't help you in CT but you're correct about learning in depth for being an instructor. Back in the old days when I was doing it (and HAD to make a living), the students didn't have the access to the tremendous amounts of information as today via the internet, forums like this etc. and only had a few books. I could usually stay ahead of them...now I would be studying my head off. But I would get them back by handing them a pile of charts, an E6B (a real one) a pencil and a clock and have them plan and fly a flight without electronics...:yikes:...that would give me a few minutes to figure out how to operate all of this new fangled electronic panels...how in the world does anyone get lost now?

All the best to you. Just keep plugging and getting to know people and it should work out.

I live in CT. I have not found a very large aviation presence here. It's certainly no CA. I have been toying around with the idea of moving on to my instructor ratings but for a different reason. I've taught other things in my life professionally and I've always found that I'm better when I have to teach others...so I figured the same would be true in aviation...I'd be a better pilot if i had to learn things so in depth that I could teach it to a laymen. I did not intend on using the ratings to actually employ myself as a teacher but whether or do or not, it's probably not a bad path to take...fairly minimal financial cost as well.

Back