break from flying?

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Just curious how many of you had to take a break from flying due to time constraints or financial reasons?

How long was your break if you did?
I'm only 26, but things would be so much easier right now if I wasn't straining myself to pay for flight time...

I took a break when completing my Masters back in the early 90's.

I took a break starting in early 2010 to take care of my parents. I haven't actually resumed yet.

In both cases the break was because of time pressures.

Just curious how many of you had to take a break from flying due to time constraints or financial reasons?

How long was your break if you did?
I'm only 26, but things would be so much easier right now if I wasn't straining myself to pay for flight time...
About six years, for me....quit flying for four years when I was in the Air Force. Didn't start again for a couple years, when I got a windfall from a computer game I wrote and could afford to buy a C-150.

Ron Wanttaja

Little bit here and there. You have a license, that is key, breaks are no big deal. Flying needs to be fun not something you do as a chore because you self identify as a pilot.

I quit flying for financial reasons in 90 with less than 100 hours. Could not afford it and was not much fun for me to just fly around the patch to keep current. I had reason to get back into flying as transportation for work in 2005. I got 5 hours dual and 5 hours solo in a 172. I bought a Lancair, got 10 hours dual in the Lancair and away I went. It was a stretch. Now I have 800 hours in the Lancair and an instrument ticket.

No sense spending money you don't have just to stay current flying a boring plane and going nowhere in my view. Others may see things differently.

Last edited:
How about 30 years? Got too busy and stopped and started again when I got bored. ;)

Cheers

Me also.. When I was your age and I also was renting I would be taking breaks pretty often. If I timed out of currency with the fbo I might take a break of 1 month to a year or more then when I got the bug to fly again all it took was a new check out. I think that sometimes the breaks can help make it more enjoyable when you take it up again later, it feels new again.

I took a break for a little over a year - pretty much the length of my Chief Enineer tour on a very broken ship. I was so busy/overwhelmed with work that I didn't even think about aviation let alone get into an airplane during that tour.

I took a break for a few months due to simply getting burnt out. Accelerated training can be hard core. I recently got back up in the c210 though and it felt great.

Take a month or two don't stress yourself. Just keep reviewing the info every once in a while.

you can always join me and texasag93 on a flight in 55WB.

I earned my PPL in 1986 and then took a break only 4 years later in 1990. I will keep it simple, my ex-wife hated, yes hated, I will say it again, hated my flying. To keep the peace I hung up the headsets. Over the next few years, 14 to be exact I figured out that it wasn't just the flying she hated which is when she became my ex wife. A couple years later I met someone that wanted me to be happy and thought I should be flying. So, in 2007 I took to the skys again and in 2011 bought my own airplane, again at the urging of my wife. All in all I was away 17 years but it all came back pretty quickly.

I took a break from flying from 1978 to 2005. I had my first kid in 1979 followed by 3 others. It seemed more important to direct the money toward the family than flying.

I am now enjoying half ownership of a 1978 Piper Warrior II.

40 Year Break

:D Still have my log book and my entry this week was 40 years after the previoius entry! Last flight I was 18, and I went flying this week at 58. I started the plane right up, took off, and did 2 touch and go's unassisted (with my instructor beside me just in case, of course!). For years, I was a teacher and didn't have money. Then, I started making good money and had no time. No, I have a bit of both, so it's back to the cockpit! :yesnod:

Last edited:
At the time it didn't occur to me that I was taking a break, but there's no doubt that I was close to broke.

My break started when surgeons cut large body parts off and ended when I was bored.

Thank you OP for starting this thread. Very refreshing to read these replies. I too am taking a break while life and international adoption are consuming my finances. I received my PPL back in June of last year and my last flight was September. Its killing me, but reading these responses has encouraged me that I'll be back in the seat soon enough!

I wish I hadn't. I stopped flying due to lack of time, money, and family planning. Now I don't know if I will ever fly again due to medical issues.

The FAA can rot in hell.

I got my ticket in Sept 2007, with 45 hours in the log book. Flew 4 hours from 2007-2009, was doing 6 months at home, 6 months over seas for work. Then I bought my first plane in 2009. It was delivered the same day my first daughter was born :) Great day. Applied for my masters in 2010, got accepted.. Moved to DC.. Didn't want to commute 1 hour to the plane, so we sold it. It is now 2013, we have 2 kids and 1 one the way! Right now, I wish they could add 5 hours to the day for work and family.... So I say I'm taking a break due to time.... but if I had time, I'm not entirely sure I could afford another airplane!

Darn this topic is depressing...

I'm glad i posted about this. It seems that when money is there, the weather and/or my time isnt and when time works out, my money is gone.

Its almost heartbreaking to even consider a break, but I'm considering one ti maybe june. That's when my BFR is due anyway, so what better time to regain proficiency and currency with my renter.

It's reassuring to see so many people have taken breaks and have come back.

I got my ticket in Sept 2007, with 45 hours in the log book. Flew 4 hours from 2007-2009, was doing 6 months at home, 6 months over seas for work. Then I bought my first plane in 2009. It was delivered the same day my first daughter was born :) Great day. Applied for my masters in 2010, got accepted.. Moved to DC.. Didn't want to commute 1 hour to the plane, so we sold it. It is now 2013, we have 2 kids and 1 one the way! Right now, I wish they could add 5 hours to the day for work and family.... So I say I'm taking a break due to time.... but if I had time, I'm not entirely sure I could afford another airplane!

Darn this topic is depressing...

Sorry for the depressing topic! But as you are seeing, its a realistic thingo have to face sometimes.

Coming Back Not That Hard

This thread proves that coming back later in life is not that hard. In fact, I find a new confidence I never had 40 years ago. After 3 perfect great landings in a row, first time out, I knew I could nail it again.

It's also a reason to stay healthy. For me, the odds are stacked against me...I have it all...including diabetes. But I have been a fanatic about getting healthy through diet and exercise. With my new lab #'s, the FAA doctor says I'll have no problem with medical. Makes all those years of excercise and low carbs worth it! Great motivation to stay fit.

Take it from me, resuming flying after a long absence is not only possible...it's even more thrilling than before!

1992-2002 - life got in the way ... engineering degree, MS, MBA, work and 2 kids
2007-2009 - living overseas
2011-present - living overseas

During the ten year break, I got current twice but probably only logged 3-4 hours solo. Still, kept in aviation a bit.

During the first overseas trip, I spent some REALLY fun hours in a Cub during my home leave.

Haven't been back to US this time since leaving in late 2011. They claim they're "opening the sky" here in China this year, but they said that back in '07 too. At a minimum, I've promised my daughter some time in the Cub during home leave this time (yes, she'll fly with the instructor). No way I'm missing that chance again either.

So, lots of breaks but have always stayed fairly close to aviation.

Mine wasn't anywhere near as long as most of the replies on here, but did my solo XC on 11/13/12, and finances hit the wall after that. Didn't get back into the air until today, took a Gobosh out over Denver and realized I hadn't forgotten nearly as much as I thought I would.

Then again, if we're counting the time between when I first got to fly a Citabria when I was 16 to when I got into a position where I could pay for lessons, we can call that a 6 year break. Great to be back in the air again, though.

Got my ticket in 2001 as a college kid. Too broke to stay current I stepped away. Each of the several times I started looking at flying again big financial things came up. I finally got back flying in 2011 (well, 2010, but that was just a quick charter/lesson that woke the beast). I'm so happy to be in the air again. Now my first child is on the way and I wonder whether it will mean another break. I'm haunted by the knowledge that my dad stopped flying when I was born and he died without me ever getting to fly with him.

12/88 to 1/06 break. When I got back into GA flying, I did about 1.5 hours in a plane type I was used to, and it all came back, as if I'd just left it a few weeks. I went out and bought a HP/complex plane, and within 3 hours with that, it was very comfortable. The worst part of it was all the added regulation. The feel for the plane doesn't ever go away, but it gets rusty a little bit.

My dad quit flying when my older brother was born, always thought that was lame growing up. I keep his certificate framed on the wall, as a reminder not to be lame. Dead is better then lame, especially once the kids are old enough to remember you. Don't think to highly of yourself you are replaceable, chances are your wife already has a replacement in mind.:lol:
For all the young people, notice everyone who returned finished the private first. Get the license now, coming back without a license is a lot harder and less likely to happen.
Got my ticket in 2001 as a college kid. Too broke to stay current I stepped away. Each of the several times I started looking at flying again big financial things came up. I finally got back flying in 2011 (well, 2010, but that was just a quick charter/lesson that woke the beast). I'm so happy to be in the air again. Now my first child is on the way and I wonder whether it will mean another break. I'm haunted by the knowledge that my dad stopped flying when I was born and he died without me ever getting to fly with him.

My dad quit flying when my older brother was born, always thought that was lame growing up. I keep his certificate framed on the wall, as a reminder not to be lame. Dead is better then lame, especially once the kids are old enough to remember you. Don't think to highly of yourself you are replaceable, chances are your wife already has a replacement in mind.:lol:
For all the young people, notice everyone who returned finished the private first. Get the license now, coming back without a license is a lot harder and less likely to happen.

Jest aside, this is fundamentally true. I keep reading post after post of people lamenting a mutually exclusive relationship between having children and pursuing recreational flying. Here's the thing. One can make that argument about ANYTHING. Boats, motorcycles, safari expeditions or traveling to South America. It's still a cop out.

The thing of it is one has to establish priorities in life. Is having children the fundamental reason for your existence? If so, then perhaps dumping all your discretionary income on them that your wife doesn't already smoke up, is warranted. But I have a sister, parents that don't owe me anything (if anything, I owe them in gratitude), and about to be a father myself, and I don't find the answer to that question to be affirmative in the least for me. MY purpose in life is defined by the contributions I wish to make society as an individual, not as a parent. As such, it would be counterproductive to sacrifice what drives me as an individual entirely in order to subsidize my spawn.

It really isn't about being negligent or derelict in my pursuit of influencing my children, it's about how my attitudes and behavior as an INDIVIDUAL influences my children. To forego my passion for life in order to afford "everything for kiddo" is self-defeating. I would be heartbroken if my father came to me and told me he had to forego his passion for life in order to appease my existence. Gladly he didn't. He traveled, he met interesting people, he became involved politically in the causes he felt strongly about, even when that meant being gone from home. He managed to find a balance and still influence his children to become productive tax-paying members of society.

Sack up. Tell the wife she don't get everything she wants in life either. Establish a balance. Influence your children by example, not by exclusivity of attention. And if that means don't have 3 kids, then guess what? Have less kids. What's next, opting not going outside because I might get hit by a bus and the spawn will see a reduction in their material lifestyle? Jesus H people.

Stop lamenting the lack of flying on the kids, that's weak sauce. Unless you child is special needs and put you on the medical bankruptcy house, that's a weak excuse for not having the fortitude to live your own life with a sense of purpose.

..and yes, my wife approves this message. :D:goofy:

I quit voluntarily because of family. No one asked me to, no one said anything to me about it but I decided that flying had to take a back seat until I was financially established where I wanted to be including kids education, and nice home for the little lady. If you decide to make the sacrifice for yourself, and you family, does than make you less of a man? I guess I can live with that.

I personally admire men who are involved with their kids and wives in some activities they can all happily share.

At the end of the day, your wife and kids will either have great memories of the times they shared with you, or they'll remember that you just did your own thing, were gone, planning to be gone, or often were distracted and focused on something else. If the latter is the case, they'll definitely remember that something else was always more important to you than they were.

And if that's the case, why marry or have kids?

To kids, it's not about the money. It's about the time. Harry Chapin had it right.

Do not believe women on this subject. If you turn in your balls they will respect and be attracted to you less. Oh sure they will ***** and complain about you going flying, drinking, fishing, etc. but women love men that give them something to ***** about. If your woman isn't bitching about your behavior, she is making fun of you with her lover for you being a putz.

I had a 20 year hiatus due to spousal and career factors. Got back into flying with both feet after retirement. Sailing filled the gap in between. :yesnod:

35 years. Family resulted in changed financial priorities. The wife never new I had dreamed of having a plane.

Jest aside, this is fundamentally true. I keep reading post after post of people lamenting a mutually exclusive relationship between having children and pursuing recreational flying. Here's the thing. One can make that argument about ANYTHING. Boats, motorcycles, safari expeditions or traveling to South America. It's still a cop out.

The thing of it is one has to establish priorities in life. Is having children the fundamental reason for your existence? If so, then perhaps dumping all your discretionary income on them that your wife doesn't already smoke up, is warranted. But I have a sister, parents that don't owe me anything (if anything, I owe them in gratitude), and about to be a father myself, and I don't find the answer to that question to be affirmative in the least for me. MY purpose in life is defined by the contributions I wish to make society as an individual, not as a parent. As such, it would be counterproductive to sacrifice what drives me as an individual entirely in order to subsidize my spawn.

It really isn't about being negligent or derelict in my pursuit of influencing my children, it's about how my attitudes and behavior as an INDIVIDUAL influences my children. To forego my passion for life in order to afford "everything for kiddo" is self-defeating. I would be heartbroken if my father came to me and told me he had to forego his passion for life in order to appease my existence. Gladly he didn't. He traveled, he met interesting people, he became involved politically in the causes he felt strongly about, even when that meant being gone from home. He managed to find a balance and still influence his children to become productive tax-paying members of society.

Sack up. Tell the wife she don't get everything she wants in life either. Establish a balance. Influence your children by example, not by exclusivity of attention. And if that means don't have 3 kids, then guess what? Have less kids. What's next, opting not going outside because I might get hit by a bus and the spawn will see a reduction in their material lifestyle? Jesus H people.

Stop lamenting the lack of flying on the kids, that's weak sauce. Unless you child is special needs and put you on the medical bankruptcy house, that's a weak excuse for not having the fortitude to live your own life with a sense of purpose.

..and yes, my wife approves this message. :D:goofy:

Interesting rant, not really appropriate for some on here, but interesting either way. You assume just because someone doesn't fly their wife doesn't support them! From what I've read, and know from people in similar situations as I. It boils down to time, priority of $$ while we are young and family.

Interesting rant, not really appropriate for some on here, but interesting either way. You assume just because someone doesn't fly their wife doesn't support them! From what I've read, and know from people in similar situations as I. It boils down to time, priority of $$ while we are young and family.

The only assumption I made is that such is the case for those who LAMENT not flying and state "family" as the reason. For everybody else not in that category, my "rant" doesn't apply. Of course, when it comes down to getting called out as a beta male, it's like Shawshank on here; EVERYBODY quits on their own accord and without lingering resentment for decades...:rolleyes2:

As to priority of $$, I absolutely agree. It is a matter of priorities. What is it about having avocations and having a family that is sooo mutually exclusive? If "having a family" disallows you the ability to have a pursuit, other than soccer games and insane mortgage payments, that's on you, not on the institution of "family". As another person put it, it's about time with the family, not money. Just like overpaying for maintenance on your airplane, there is such a thing as overpaying for a family (most often under the pressure of an entitled and implicitly infidelity/divorce-threatening spouse). But look, to each their own. As long as everybody is happy, it's all good. The thread just struck me as very melancholic. Life's too short to wait to live.

Last edited:
My husband has two kids. Shortly after he and I married 16 years ago, the kids' mother decided the kids interfered with her life, so we went from joint custody to full.

Rejection by a mother is pretty emotionally crippling, so we had our work cut out for us with the kids. Unbeknownst to me, my husband had a passion for flying which he TOTALLY put on hold 'til the kids were healed up, educated, and launched.

It was a long, difficult road but we made it because we were in it as a team. I am beginning to see why he never once talked about his love for flying. First, he set about buying a house and setting up his family. Then he was a single dad with little time to spare. Then the kids' needs took priority. They had some serious medical issues as well as emotional ones. He never flinched when stepping up to the plate as a dad, and he had to make some really difficult decisions. I've always respected him, but grew to respect him more and more through those difficult years.

When the kids were launched, I told him, "It's your turn." Little did I know he would then divulge the passion he had for flying that I never knew existed.

And now we are this close || to buying a plane. This morning he presented me with the expected financial impact analysis for an airplane he wants to buy.

I'd still rather he didn't fly or buy a plane. But as time (and reading PoA threads!:D) goes on, it's getting a little clearer to me. It really, truly is HIS TURN.

Last edited:
Back