break from flying?

It is a man's turn whenever he chooses to take it. If he needs permission he ain't a man.

The only assumption I made is that such is the case for those who LAMENT not flying and state "family" as the reason. For everybody else not in that category, my "rant" doesn't apply. Of course, when it comes down to getting called out as a beta male, it's like Shawshank on here; EVERYBODY quits on their own accord and without lingering resentment for decades...:rolleyes2:

As to priority of $$, I absolutely agree. It is a matter of priorities. What is it about having avocations and having a family that is sooo mutually exclusive? If "having a family" disallows you the ability to have a pursuit, other than soccer games and insane mortgage payments, that's on you, not on the institution of "family". As another person put it, it's about time with the family, not money. Just like overpaying for maintenance on your airplane, there is such a thing as overpaying for a family (most often under the pressure of an entitled and implicitly infidelity/divorce-threatening spouse). But look, to each their own. As long as everybody is happy, it's all good. The thread just struck me as very melancholic. Life's too short to wait to live.

I still laugh at your posts. I guess it's how I view my time and $. It cost about $140 per hour to own my Cirrus for the hours I flew it. When added up, it cost about $25K for they year. Which was ok, no issues. But $50K in today's market has returned just over $325K since 1 Jan 2012. I plan on being FIRE by 41. Financially Independent and Retired Early, not having to work another day in my life if, I don't want to. Thus, my time is dedicated to my family, growing our net assets and working my day job. Other pilots, that share similar idea's have put off flying until we are FIRE. That is really the main reason I don't fly right now. Your assumptions is that everyone that say's family or time really mean they are giving all their $$$ to their family. I can tell you this is not the case for the pilots I know.

I still laugh at your posts. I guess it's how I view my time and $. It cost about $140 per hour to own my Cirrus for the hours I flew it. When added up, it cost about $25K for they year. Which was ok, no issues. But $50K in today's market has returned just over $325K since 1 Jan 2012. I plan on being FIRE by 41. Financially Independent and Retired Early, not having to work another day in my life if, I don't want to. Thus, my time is dedicated to my family, growing our net assets and working my day job. Other pilots, that share similar idea's have put off flying until we are FIRE. That is really the main reason I don't fly right now. Your assumptions is that everyone that say's family or time really mean they are giving all their $$$ to their family. I can tell you this is not the case for the pilots I know.

Granted the "market" is up but 50K to 325K you latched onto some hot stocks! Congratulations.

you're assuming you'll be alive at 41. my general goal is to continue to have a steady amount of fun as i grow old, probably never truly retire, and die broke. so far so good.

When we took a three-week trip to Europe for three weeks at age 31, my answer at the time was that when they rang the bell I wanted to be able to say "glad I did" rather than "wish I had." A few second thoughts about that philosophy occurred while paying off the credit cards, but we continued with that philosophy and glad we did.

you're assuming you'll be alive at 41. my general goal is to continue to have a steady amount of fun as i grow old, probably never truly retire, and die broke. so far so good.

When we took a three-week trip to Europe for three weeks at age 31, my answer at the time was that when they rang the bell I wanted to be able to say "glad I did" rather than "wish I had." A few second thoughts about that philosophy occurred while paying off the credit cards, but we continued with that philosophy and glad we did.

yea. my grandpa who is probably younger than you can't walk anymore after bypass surgery, a couple strokes, diabetes, etc. he's "glad he did" a lot of fun stuff when he could instead of waiting for retirement. His first stroke forced his retirement.

in 2 years i'll have outlived my mom. just went home and watched them bury my friend who was born a week before me.

I quit flying in summer of 2011 due to financial, mental, and physical issues. I was pushing too hard for a few years and it finally caught up with me I guess. I was a fairly well-known (locally) CFII just over 2500 hours. I haven't been flying since, although I will probably return to it this year, but for recreation, not for work, and I'm talking to several people to try and make that happen. I do have other pursuits that fill in the gaps, like cars, bikes, beer making, on top of spending time with my wife and kids. My dream now isn't to eventually fly for pay, but to own something small, and share that with the kids.

It's 'a' passion, not 'the' passion for me, and I believe it should be that way for others. I never thought I'd ever drop everything and just walk away, but there came a day where the burnout mass became critical, I said "eff-it" and I did, much to the chagrin of my various employers. Luckily, I had other passions to ease the pain of not flying because it was indeed painful at first.

Back