Bought a new gun

Oh, and... I like my new gun. :D

No, haven't gotten to go shoot it yet...
I have had my current .38 almost 2 yrs . carry it 24/7. Still haven't fired it. If I could only find a way to combine target shooting and flying! I hope we BOTH get to enjoy our weapons soon. :wink2: Dave

I have had my current .38 almost 2 yrs . carry it 24/7. Still haven't fired it. If I could only find a way to combine target shooting and flying! I hope we BOTH get to enjoy our weapons soon. :wink2: Dave
I would highly recommend you fire it soon. You really need to be proficient with a firearm if you're carrying it.

I put some rounds down range at least once a month.

I have had other incidents since then and by having a weapon, I was able to diffuse the situation such that I could wait for the police to arrive to take the other person into custody or in other cases, they decided to look for an easier target.

Let's just say that I'm not one of those people who walk around with a Scarlet "V" (for "victim") on their forehead these days.

Good point. Even the hardest criminals look for easy victims. If they think you'll be a problem, they will leave you alone the majority of the time. It's where there's a group and a gang mentality when problems arise. In the past 6 months there have been 3 attacks outside my front door, all 3 on 1. I don't carry a gun but I'm proactive. While getting attacked is statistically unlikely, it's entirely possible and it's good to be prepared in one way or another.

I'd actually argue that this is not the approach I am taking.

Let me draw an analogy: training for spin avoidance vs. recovery in aircraft.

Some folks believe that the best thing to do for student pilots is to train them on how to avoid any situation where they might get into a spin near the ground. Students who come out of this training regimen should (in theory) be very good at avoiding spins. They have lots of practice at getting near to a stall which might result in a spin, and getting out of it. These folks believe that by staying proficient at avoidance, they can never find themselves in a situation where they need to recover from a spin. In addition, if they do find themselves in a spin near the ground, their chances of recovery are so slim that training on recovery is not worth the risk of the training.

Other folks believe that a pilot should be trained for every eventuality, no matter how rare (or avoidable) that circumstance is. Doing otherwise is shirking your responsibilities as a proficient pilot. Even though recovery from a near-the-ground spin is unlikely, your odds are much better with training than without.

This debate has split the aviation community, and the FAA at times has taken one position then the other. Both sides of the debate are correct, depending on the type of flying that you do: a pilot who is going to engage mostly in conservative flying may be better served by spin avoidance training, while a pilot who engages in aggressive flying may be better served by spin recovery training.

In the same way a person who avoids risky situations may be better off not carrying a gun (since, without frequent training on safe gun carry and operation of the weapon such carrying may have more risk than reward for this person), while a person who frequently finds themselves in risky situations may be better off with the gun.

Makes sense to me. Personally, I prefer spin avoidance over recovery proficiency. The "superior pilot uses their superior judgement to avoid needing their superior skills" approach. But I understand why some take the other side of this debate.

Chris

Why not both? Sometimes $H!# happens

Last edited:
Oh, and... I like my new gun. :D

No, haven't gotten to go shoot it yet...

Then how do you know if you like it if you haven't shot it? Isn't that like saying that you like your new computer, but you haven't turned it on yet?

If you are buying a gun for protection / to carry, then you need to get some range time with it. You need try out various brands of ammo to see which it prefers from an accuracy standpoint. If it is a semi-auto, then you need to ensure that your choice of ammo consistently ejects. Plus, especially on a semi-auto, you want to run a couple hundred rounds through it to smooth things out a bit.

Why not both? Sometimes $H!# happens

#1 -- Know how to avoid 'em...

#2 -- Know how to get out of 'em...

#3 -- And know when to hit the 'cute, just in case option #1 and #2 don't turn out so well...

And make sure your life insurance is paid up because sometimes triply redundant systems are still not enough...

Going 2 years without firing it (especially if you're carrying it) I'd say isn't a good thing. The reason I haven't fired mine is because I bought it right before leaving town (again). Since I'm going home this weekend, I'm hoping to shoot it.

Good point. Even the hardest criminals look for easy victims. If they think you'll be a problem, they will leave you alone the majority of the time. It's where there's a group and a gang mentality when problems arise. In the past 6 months there have been 3 attacks outside my front door, all 3 on 1. I don't carry a gun but I'm proactive. While getting attacked is statistically unlikely, it's entirely possible and it's good to be prepared in one way or another.

You're also the sort of person that anyone would be a fool to mess with for more reasons than one (vs. me the scrawny white guy who would lose a battle with a French pastry). As you say, best to be prepared.

Then how do you know if you like it if you haven't shot it? Isn't that like saying that you like your new computer, but you haven't turned it on yet?

Slightly, but I've still disassembled/reassembled it and played around with the mechanisms, etc.

As stated, the reason I've not fired it yet is because I've been out of town. Bad timing for purchase. We'll see how the range goes this weekend. I've got a bunch of rounds to put through it, and intend on putting all through if I can.

Not ever firing it is not a bad option. It means I was not forced to do whatever it takes to defend me & mine. After all, isn't that the purpose of this tool. Dave

Not ever firing it is not a bad option. It means I was not forced to do whatever it takes to defend me & mine. After all, isn't that the purpose of this tool. Dave
Not ever firing it means it might not fire when you want it to and you might not be prepared to use it effectively.

"(vs. me the scrawny white guy who would lose a battle with a French pastry). As you say, best to be prepared."

ROFL! +1 here!

I've got a H&K P2000sk in .40S&W on my Christmas list... been playing with a friends H&K USP .40 for a few weeks and I'm hooked. Currently I've got a Ruger GP100 .357 SS 6" that I've probably run 8,000 rounds through. I've also got the new .357 LCR on my shopping list as a CCW when Wisconsin finally joins the USA some time in the next few months.

I idly wonder what proportion of the general population are gun owners, vs. what proportion of certificated pilots are gun owners...

...as a group whose members are generally better-educated and better trained in the arts of exercising judgment, I'd expect that pilots own firearms at a much greater rate than the general populace.

...as a group whose members are generally better-educated and better trained in the arts of exercising judgment, I'd expect that pilots own firearms at a much greater rate than the general populace.

Looking at the Nall report, I think you give pilots too much credit here.

"(vs. me the scrawny white guy who would lose a battle with a French pastry). As you say, best to be prepared."

ROFL! +1 here!

Scrawny white guys of the world unite! :)

I idly wonder what proportion of the general population are gun owners, vs. what proportion of certificated pilots are gun owners...

It seems like most pilots I know are also at least one of the following:

- Gun owners
- Motorcycle riders
- Outdoors enthusiasts
- Performance car enthusiasts

I happen to be all five (above 4 + flying). No wonder I like y'all so much!

- Gun owners
- Motorcycle riders
- Outdoors enthusiasts

Wow, that's pretty wild. I actually fit all five of those categories as well!!

Wow, that's pretty wild. I actually fit all five of those categories as well!!

Well, on that note, here's my weekend schedule:

1) Flew home
2) Working on my performance car (3000GT VR-4 that's getting some upgrades, aiming for 450 HP out of it)
3) Worked on and rode the RC51 tonight (now it looks like a real motorcycle!)
4) Driving the performance car to go shooting my new gun outdoors on Sunday

Hitting all the categories this weekend! :)

Have fun! I'm just doing the flying part:). But the cool thing is I'm out in CA taking Rich Stowells EMT class and doing some acro as well :). And, since they know I'm kind of into guns, we're talking about gun safety, competition and gun stuff in general :)

Five for five here too, I don't do boats. I have never been so scared in my life as I was at 6 knots in a 28' sailboat with small craft warnings seas. I hug the shorelines flyiing around Puget sound. Dave

I'm wondering how many of you, who do not pack as part of their livelihood, have ever actually had to use a weapon to defend your person or property here at home? Did you ever have to shoot someone while doing it?

John

Well I do carry one for a living (20 years next year) and I have never have had to draw brandish etc one off duty at home or elsewhere. Neither have I locked my doors anywhere I have lived since 1993 except for when I had a condo downtown.

- Gun owners
- Motorcycle riders
- Outdoors enthusiasts

A firearm is a tool don't care much about them though yes, I own a couple.
Drive a 99 Subaru or a 04 Tacoma.
Would rather stick a fork in my eye than ride a motorcycle.

On the other hand I'm an outdoor enthusiast :)

Not ever firing it means it might not fire when you want it to and you might not be prepared to use it effectively.

Revolvers are not so picky on ammo, but I had a revolver once that after I fired it, the cylinder would not rotate. It seems that cylinder was such a close tolerance fit that when the brass expanded after the first shot, it caused the cylinder to jam and as such, it could not rotate. Firing a particular firearm for the first time when your life depends upon it is not really the best sort of planning.

Five for five here too, I don't do boats. I have never been so scared in my life as I was at 6 knots in a 28' sailboat with small craft warnings seas. I hug the shorelines flyiing around Puget sound. Dave

Small craft warnings and my 23.5 foot sailboat stays in its slip. Not surprised you were scared.

Small craft warnings and my 23.5 foot sailboat stays in its slip. Not surprised you were scared.

8 ft seas + greasy BBQ + copious amounts of beer + oil rig crew boat converted into dive boat = a lot of heaving over the rail... About the only time I wasn't heaving was when i was diving...

On the positive side, it was a bit interesting getting back aboard considering the vertical movement of the ladder in the seas. You time it right, grab the ladder and then hang on for the ride of your life... Yee haw !!!

I enjoy boats, but find them to be items of strictly leisure. Maybe one day when I get that house on the coast with the runway attached I could add a boat. ;)

Pulling out the small boats every winter for complete strip/sand/repaint (in the Coast Guard) cured me of the desire to own anything bigger than a jon-boat or a canoe.

I love being on the water, but wouldn't own a boat unless I had huge pots of money.

Pulling out the small boats every winter for complete strip/sand/repaint (in the Coast Guard) cured me of the desire to own anything bigger than a jon-boat or a canoe.

I love being on the water, but wouldn't own a boat unless I had huge pots of money.

If it floats, flies, or.... rent it.

Cheers,

-Andrew
(not finishing that sentence)

- Gun owners
- Motorcycle riders
- Outdoors enthusiasts

I don't own a motorcycle anymore. I had them for years, and I do miss riding them, I just don't want to take the risks anymore. I guess I have turned chicken.

The shooting sports and the outdoors I still enjoy immensely.

Performance car? If owning a plane wasn't so expensive, I'd probably have something.

- Gun owners
- Motorcycle riders
- Outdoors enthusiasts

I love performance cars, but I do not have the patience or time to commit to such an endeavor. I think I'm going to add a bike to my stable this year to save on commuting costs; my Acura is getting old and I'd rather keep it + have a bike than replace the Acura.

Guns... well, I have my eye on something new.

Outdoors? Love them, don't get to spend enough time in them. Haven't been hiking in almost a year. A bummer.

Cheers,

-Andrew

And for all three, we keep trying to delude ourselves that the "convenience factor" makes it better to buy than to rent...

That there are no boats planes or wimmin to rent within 100nm is not a delusion it is a fact. Well, there are canoes and rafts I suppose.

Well, today involved guns and performance cars.

This weekend I did some of the upgrades on the Mitsubishi to the fuel system and a better blow-off valve (in preparation for the turbo upgrade). So, I drove it down to Harrisburg to go shoot the new gun at a friend's house.

Taurus makes a good product. It's smooth, fires well, and is more comfortable and easier to fire than the Ruger or KelTec guns in the similar size range. Definitely a better gun overall. My friend who I shot with has a Ruger and he preferred this Taurus.

Accuracy is on par with other guns of this size. They're not going to be the most accurate in the world, but in the scenarios we did I was still able to hit the targets well enough that they'd be in the morgue (after doing enough aim shots to get the feel of it down.

That there are no boats planes or wimmin to rent within 100nm is not a delusion it is a fact. Well, there are canoes and rafts I suppose.

And lonely caribou?

What sound does a caribou make? Something like "blaattt"?

If so, then "Say, 'blaattt' for me baby!"...

Hmmm... Just doesn't have the right ring to it... Oh well...

This weekend I did some of the upgrades on the Mitsubishi to the fuel system and a better blow-off valve (in preparation for the turbo upgrade). So, I drove it down to Harrisburg to go shoot the new gun at a friend's house.

Too much work... I just bought my wife a Cayenne Turbo instead... She's happy and I even get to drive it when I'm shuffling her around... Her night vision is not that great so I am forced to drive it at night for her...

Taurus makes a good product. It's smooth, fires well, and is more comfortable and easier to fire than the Ruger or KelTec guns in the similar size range. Definitely a better gun overall. My friend who I shot with has a Ruger and he preferred this Taurus.

I have 5 Taurus handguns (2 revolvers, 3 semi-autos). Well made, reliable, and reasonably priced. From an accuracy standpoint, I prefer a M1911, but they're not all that concealable unless the weather is cold enough that I can get away with wearing a 3/4 length jacket. That doesn't happen that often down here along the Gulf Coast... When the weather is like that though, I carry either my Colt Combat Elite or my Kimber (both are full frame M1911 series semi-autos)...

Accuracy is on par with other guns of this size. They're not going to be the most accurate in the world, but in the scenarios we did I was still able to hit the targets well enough that they'd be in the morgue (after doing enough aim shots to get the feel of it down.

Your typical defensive situation occurs at around 15 ft... Past that point and it would be a bit more difficult to convince the grand jury that you felt that your life was in danger -- not impossible, but just a bit more difficult. Of course, that's assuming that you are someone who reports bodies whose death you expedited to the proper authorities.

"Gators gotta eat too, ya' know..."

Not a fan of Pocket Pistols, but that's a nice one if I ever saw it Ted. I prefer my guns to be big and intimidating, as its my opinion that the mere brandishing alone will probably accomplish the goal I want.

But I'm also very prepared to use it if my life threat continues.

Back