Bought a new gun

Not a fan of Pocket Pistols, but that's a nice one if I ever saw it Ted. I prefer my guns to be big and intimidating, as its my opinion that the mere brandishing alone will probably accomplish the goal I want.

But I'm also very prepared to use it if my life threat continues.
I also prefer a larger weapon - but the problem is that they're very difficult to conceal sometimes. When given the choice of having no weapon at all - or having my Sig P238 in .380 I'll take the Sig.

I also prefer a larger weapon - but the problem is that they're very difficult to conceal sometimes. When given the choice of having no weapon at all - or having my Sig P238 in .380 I'll take the Sig.

What Jesse said. The reason I bought it was because I wanted something that was very concealable for situations where the alternative would be nothing. The Glock or Browning HiPower are significantly more intimidating, but harder to conceal in many situations.

What Jesse said. The reason I bought it was because I wanted something that was very concealable for situations where the alternative would be nothing. The Glock or Browning HiPower are significantly more intimidating, but harder to conceal in many situations.

X3. While not a pocket pistol, I can easily conceal my Beretta M85FS in .380. With +P ammo, I feel pretty well protected. It is slim light and since I am not a fat "A" easily concealable under a loose shirt or sweater.

I alternate that with an HK P7 PSP in 9MM (9x19, 9MM Luger).

Just like no single aircraft fits every mission profile, no single firearm fits every mission profile. As much as I like my various M1911s, unless the weather is cold enough to justify a 3/4 length jacket, it really is not that concealable (in my opinion on my body and with the style of clothing that I normally wear). As a compromise, I carry a Taurus PT-145 normally -- 11 rounds of .45 in a DAO semi-auto. I don't find the shorter barrel and sight radius as accurate as the full size M1911s, but it's a compromise that I am willing to make for a bit more concealability. My SIG P229 is a slightly larger than the PT-145, but it still hides under a vest easily without having to resort to an IWB holster. The vest allows me to put a couple of mags and my cell phone in the pockets so that any breezes are less likely to cause it to open and inadvertently expose the weapon. As such, it is relatively easy to carry a handgun and 50 rounds of .357 SIG in multiple magazines and it not be noticeable if one was so inclined. In some situations, it is possible that the only thing that you could comfortably carry would be a .22 derringer -- that's still better than carrying *nothing* -- hopefully it will slow down your assailant enough that you can outrun him... Personally, I would say that if you are having to resort to a .22, the Beretta Bobcat Model 21 is a pretty good choice. Just treat it as a close in shotgun and then run like 'ell... Personally, I would rather see it in .22WRM, but the only only ones I've seen in that caliber are the NAA 5-shot single action revolver / derringers.

Well,.. looks like I'm joining the group of Motorcycling-Aviator-Outdoorsy-Gun Owner.

Since my wife's dad passed away in November, the family was going thru his gun collection and they asked if I wanted one. I haven't hunted since high school, but my wife wanted us to have something for the personal value of it more than having for hunting.

I talked to her brothers, and ended up with a Ruger 357 6-Shot Security Six revolver that is basically new, maybe only shot a few times, and a Sterling 300 .25 ACP, which is the same size as your little pocket gun you posted Ted. The Sterling needs a clip, as the current one lost the spring system inside, but looks like I can get one online reasonably. Still going thru the transfer stuff now and I need to get my LTCP, but both will be good for home self-defense or taking to the mountains and target shooting.

The .357 is good for home defense... The 125 grain round is a proven round with something like a 96% one-shot-stop record, if I remember correctly... Personally, I prefer a .45, but I'm just a bit old fashioned...The .25 is not a home defense round... It is something that you carry when you can't get away with carrying anything else... It is an "empty-the-mag-and-run" type of round where you are hoping that they slow the person down enough that you can outrun them... In my opinion, a .22LR round is more effective... Neither (the .22LR or the .25) are rounds that you should be considering as a first line of defense... The .357 can fire .38 special rounds, so they are a bit cheaper to fire for just some range time... The .38 and .357 rounds are easy to reload and when you do, they end up being fairly cheap to shoot... I have some .38 rounds that I reload for pests (armadillos, skunks, 'possums, etc) that work out to be about 350 fps with a 158 gr bullet. Very quiet... Less noise than a .22...

The other day I went to the gun show at the Bloomsburg fair at my house and figured I'd look for a good deal on a really small gun. Originally I'd been interested in a KelTec or Ruger, one of the 6+1 .380 variants out there. The goal was to get a good concealed carry that can be easily carried and concealed in about any situation.

While looking at what was there, I discovered the Taurus 738. It's in the same category, about same size. What I liked better about it was that it's supposed to have better recoil due to its construction plus a couple ounces heavier. Not too heavy, just a bit. It was designed as a good pocket gun, and the design features reflect that, but I can also fit my hand around it nicely.

The price was in between the KelTec and Ruger, but more like the KelTec as it also came with a second magazine and a holster, which looks like an iPhone holster, which I like. Mainly it felt better to hold and to operate, so I went for it.

I haven't shot it yet, but I like everything else about it. Unfortunately my travel has been pretty crappy, so I haven't had the opportunity to.

Picture below, shown with the keys to my Ford for size comparison:

View attachment 21105

That's a nice piece, but I have to question it's use in a pocket. It's a single action auto(1911), is it not? Which means that it will need to have the hammer cocked and safety on. If you need to present it quickly, it will be difficult to do so without snagging horribly....now, I carry a 1911 for my own personal use, but it is in a holster on my hip. For my pocket carry, I use one of the smaller DAO autos....

Rob, welcome to the club. We should go shooting sometime. The .357 does work for a home defense piece. What people like about revolvers is that, much like magnetos and mechanical fuel injection, they're simple and work. Yet, although I like magnetos and carburetors, I like semi-automatics better than revolvers. Go figure. :)

As to the question of my pocket gun as a pocket gun: It actually doesn't have anything external that snags easily. Note that it's got an internal hammer, unlike the 1911/Browning HiPower/etc. have an external hammer. When I pull it out of its pocket holster, it works very well in practice. Hopefully I'll never have cause to try it for real.

For you guys complaining about not being able to carry a bigger gun - you should really check into something like the Kangaroo Carry Holster. I carry a Springfield XD40sc on a shoulder most of the time under a button up shirt. It hides pretty well.

Ryan

That's a nice piece, but I have to question it's use in a pocket. It's a single action auto(1911), is it not? Which means that it will need to have the hammer cocked and safety on. If you need to present it quickly, it will be difficult to do so without snagging horribly....now, I carry a 1911 for my own personal use, but it is in a holster on my hip. For my pocket carry, I use one of the smaller DAO autos....
I carry a Sig P238 which is a single action 1911 style pocket gun. I was worried about that as well but in practice it's not a problem. I carry it chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. It does not hang up when you draw it and it's very well built - albeit kind of pricey for a pocket gun.

Back