Bought a new gun

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
The other day I went to the gun show at the Bloomsburg fair at my house and figured I'd look for a good deal on a really small gun. Originally I'd been interested in a KelTec or Ruger, one of the 6+1 .380 variants out there. The goal was to get a good concealed carry that can be easily carried and concealed in about any situation.

While looking at what was there, I discovered the Taurus 738. It's in the same category, about same size. What I liked better about it was that it's supposed to have better recoil due to its construction plus a couple ounces heavier. Not too heavy, just a bit. It was designed as a good pocket gun, and the design features reflect that, but I can also fit my hand around it nicely.

The price was in between the KelTec and Ruger, but more like the KelTec as it also came with a second magazine and a holster, which looks like an iPhone holster, which I like. Mainly it felt better to hold and to operate, so I went for it.

I haven't shot it yet, but I like everything else about it. Unfortunately my travel has been pretty crappy, so I haven't had the opportunity to.

Picture below, shown with the keys to my Ford for size comparison:

IMG00013-20101122-1659.jpg

Nice. Look forward to comparing it to my pocket gun:
1918961.jpg

We'll have to go shooting sometime, either when you come to PA or when I go to NE.

We'll have to go shooting sometime, either when you come to PA or when I go to NE.

...or when you both come to Gaston's.

Has anyone ever sought out a gun range in reasonable proximity to 3M0?

Now sir, that sounds like a great idea. The great Gaston's gun-shoot.

Ted,

I've heard good things about them. I only own one Taurus, a PT145 Milpro in .45ACP and its been flawless. Its very compact for its capacity and way more accurate than it should be. If you can get down to N47, we can go to my gun club.

Ok, so our range isn't real close to Gaston's, but we could have a 'Shooting Pilot's Assn' :). I've got some cool toys we could play with :)

Anthony: That sounds like fun! I've never owned a Taurus before, but have heard good things about them and enjoyed shooting them. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that .380s tend to be picky on what ammo they like. So I need to try the ammo I bought with it, and see if it likes it or I need something else.

Ok, so our range isn't real close to Gaston's, but we could have a 'Shooting Pilot's Assn' :). I've got some cool toys we could play with :)

I GUARANTEE Joyce speaks the truth. :D

Joyce,

Do you know Tom Gresham? He is sometimes active here and on the Red Board. He flies a turbonormalized Bonanza. Good guy.

Ted,

We will set that up!

Now thats a girly gun, I carry a Smith & Wesson 500

Anthony, sure do know Tom, in fact I had the pleasure of having dinner with him at the Tulsa gun show. He wants to do an interview for Gun Talk Radio or maybe a show on our ranch. He's a great guy. We were talking about A36s. I really want to move up to one from my 182 at some point. But now I've got my sights set on a Super Cub :).

We could have a shoot fest at the ranch too. KLBR is a great place for a 'plane' old gathering ;-)

Well, actually the pink version is the girly gun:

Taurus%20738%20TCP%20Pink.jpg

For the dress I normally have, it can be a lot more difficult to conceal the Glock 30 or Browning HiPower.

I'm liking Joyce's idea. Airplanes and guns - a great combination. Only better would be if we could add motorcycles. ;)

I was looking to get one of those earlier this year. How do you like it?
I've been searching some time for a pocket gun that I liked.

I've owned a Kel-Tech P3AT, Ruger LCP, and now this Sig P238.

The sig is well built, reliable, has real sights and a nice trigger pull. My favorite .380 I've shot yet. Haven't tried the Taurus Ted bought.

Well, see now. I'm sure you're joking. But, when your Smith is too heavy to carry and you leave it on your nightstand, Mr. Ted will still be protected by his little .380.

I LOVE 1911's. Do I carry one all the time? Nope.

Haven't tried the Taurus Ted bought.

We'll change that.

mmmm gots to be REAL careful in bringing guns across state lines

Yes, but most states have peaceable journey laws. It's not difficult to look up and plan accordingly.

Now, the interesting question is flying if you only need to be good in the states on you land in or the states you fly over. I don't know the answer there, an interesting question to pose.

Well, see now. I'm sure you're joking. But, when your Smith is too heavy to carry and you leave it on your nightstand, Mr. Ted will still be protected by his little .380.

I LOVE 1911's. Do I carry one all the time? Nope.

That was the goal exactly. The Glock 30 and Browning HiPower are both guns that I really like. They're also heavier, harder to conceal, and just don't make sense carrying in my current situation. When I living in Indiana it was different, but my life (and dress) were both a lot different as well.

Ron Levy expands on this a lot is correct as is Adam. You don't want to have a forced landing anywhere near NYC or even Jersey with a loaded gun. Even unloaded, locked and secured can get you into trouble in some of these venues.

You don't want to BE anywhere near NYC or even Jersey with a loaded gun. Even unloaded, locked and secured can get you into trouble in some of these venues.

Fixed that for ya. NYC and NJ are about as anti-gun as it gets. Which is funny, given how many are wandering around there by law-abiding criminals. :rolleyes2:

Nice!! :thumbsup:

I've become a Sig fan, but would like to add to the compact collection. May have to give Taurus a second look.

Jesse's got the mini-Sig and can tell you his thoughts on it. I like the action and safety on his better, but the half-sights on the Taurus keep it from catching on anything while pulling it out of your pocket (most likely location).

I'll let y'all know what I think after firing it. :)

I did make ctc with the gun club near Gastons and have their phone numbers somewhere, there were some hurdles. Too bad Gaston's doesn't have one in that field NW of the strip. I guess over by the peacocks would be too tempting!

One of the most important aspects of any new carry gun is to run a couple hundred rounds through it and make sure it functions well and is reliable. You don't want to get in a situation where it doesn't perform as expected... Even more so with .380s as they can sometimes be pretty finicky. Sights and action are important, but not nearly as important as the 'bang' function.

On a side note, if you haven't tried laser grips, such as the Crimson Trace, I would highly suggest it. They are really exceptional in low light situations like most encounters occur.

I have been thinking about getting one of these (PT709) for Concealed Carry. I have never owned a Taurus, so I am looking forward to your impression of your gun after you have a few hundred rounds through it.

709B.jpg

Picture below, shown with the keys to my Ford for size comparison:

If you shoot me with that and I find out about it, you are going to be sorry!

Attachments

• IMG00013-20101122-1659.jpg
    IMG00013-20101122-1659.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 160

Having a concealed carry license that has reciprocity in the affected states helps TREMENDOUSLY.

And I just had a EUREKA moment.

FLY IN GUN RANGES....
I bet that would give the TSA fits..

One of the most important aspects of any new carry gun is to run a couple hundred rounds through it and make sure it functions well and is reliable. You don't want to get in a situation where it doesn't perform as expected... Even more so with .380s as they can sometimes be pretty finicky. Sights and action are important, but not nearly as important as the 'bang' function.

Yep, I make a habit of that with new guns. I just need to get to the gun range to get going on that...

On a side note, if you haven't tried laser grips, such as the Crimson Trace, I would highly suggest it. They are really exceptional in low light situations like most encounters occur.

I have thought about that, and it's definitely an appealing option. One thing at a time, though. :)

If you shoot me with that and I find out about it, you are going to be sorry!

Dave, I can't imagine why I would ever have a reason to shoot you. :)

shown with the keys to my Ford for size comparison:

My gun is bigger than your gun. :raspberry:

Attachments

• IM000548.JPG
    IM000548.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 22
Gastons is in Arkansas. Arkansas likes their guns.

I travel between states with firearms all the time. I always check the laws of the state. I also print off the state's laws with the sections highlighted that permit my activities.

I was stopped by State Patrol in Missouri a few months ago with multiple loaded firearms. The trooper was very understanding and appreciated the fact that I had the legal references available to show him.

As of 1/1/2011 I'll be able to conceal and carry in Iowa which then pretty much covers every state I ever travel in.

Last edited:
As of 1/1/2011 I'll be able to conceal and carry in Iowa which then pretty much covers every state I ever travel in.

Fixed that for ya.

Unfortunately in my case, it's pretty much impossible to get all the states I travel to cover (New York City being the primary one that will never happen). But it is possible to get most of them covered.

Dave, I can't imagine why I would ever have a reason to shoot you. :)

Ted, I think I managed to word the joke wrong - try:

"If I discover you've shot me with that (diminutive weapon), you'll be in big trouble!"
(add smiley here)

I've owned a Kel-Tech P3AT, Ruger LCP, and now this Sig P238.

The sig is well built, reliable, has real sights and a nice trigger pull. My favorite .380 I've shot yet. Haven't tried the Taurus Ted bought.

Their website says it's SAO and weighs "just under a pound". I cannot imagine how anyone could use a SAO pocket pistol, and the weight! OMG the weight! Of course it's a Sig, which is great, but honestly sounds like a range-only pistol to me.

The Taurus is intriguing. I didn't know it existed.

-- Pete

P.S. Actually one review I just read says you're supposed to carry it like 1911, cocked. Hmm.

Last edited:
Their website says it's SAO and weighs "just under a pound". I cannot imagine how anyone could use a SAO pocket pistol, and the weight! OMG the weight! Of course it's a Sig, which is great, but honestly sounds like a range-only pistol to me.

The Taurus is intriguing. I didn't know it existed.

-- Pete

P.S. Actually one review I just read says you're supposed to carry it like 1911, cocked. Hmm.

I carry it chambered with the hammer back and the safety on inside a pocket holster. Works fine and is designed to be carried like that.

I haven't noticed any issue with the weight and carry it daily. I very much prefer it over it's competitors. The trigger is way more reasonable (not a heavy long pull like a LCP) and the sights are usable.

I've never had someone notice I was carrying the Sig in my pocket.

I carry it chambered with the hammer back and the safety on inside a pocket holster. Works fine and is designed to be carried like that.

I haven't noticed any issue with the weight and carry it daily. I very much prefer it over it's competitors. The trigger is way more reasonable (not a heavy long pull like a LCP) and the sights are usable.

I've never had someone notice I was carrying the Sig in my pocket.

I stopped carrying my glock because of the safety. The design sucks. back to my S&W 500 5 shot revolver or my kimber 45.

I stopped carrying my glock because of the safety. The design sucks. back to my S&W 500 5 shot revolver or my kimber 45.

The Glock's safety is a pretty pathetic excuse for a safety, I'll agree. However if you have a holster that covers the trigger and holds the gun in properly it's really not an issue. The Miami Classic is my favorite for it, but obviously only works if you're wearing a jacket of some sort to cover it. If you're wearing a t-shirt and jeans (or any shirt that's not tucked in), the Thunderwear holster is surprisingly comfortable and works well. Nobody ever noticed it.

How do you carry your S&W 500? That seems more difficult to conceal by far than the Glock 30.

The Glock's safety is a pretty pathetic excuse for a safety, I'll agree. However if you have a holster that covers the trigger and holds the gun in properly it's really not an issue.

While Glocks are fine weapons, I just don't like the trigger safety system either. I'll agree though, that a good holster is an essential part of the safety of a Glock and mitigates most safety issues. They seem to be the most popular LEO weapon in the U.S.

My Sig 239 doesn't have a dedicated safety either - it's an SA/DA and if you squeeze the trigger with a round in the chamber it will go bang. I'm used to it and ok with it in a holster, but I'm more wary of it then with my old M9 with the separate safety.

I carry the Sig with a round in the chamber and the hammer down - so the first shot is likely to be DA with remaining shots being SA. I don't anticipate having the time to chamber a round. When it's stored in the house, it's got an empty chamber (and in a locked box).

Back