Bought a new gun

While Glocks are fine weapons, I just don't like the trigger safety system either. I'll agree though, that a good holster is an essential part of the safety of a Glock and mitigates most safety issues. They seem to be the most popular LEO weapon in the U.S.

For sure. If you have a proper holster, it's a great gun. If you just want to haphazardly carry it, well, then I'd say you have other problems.

Gastons is in Arkansas. Arkansas likes their guns.

I travel between states with firearms all the time. I always check the laws of the state. I also print off the state's laws with the sections highlighted that permit my activities.

I was stopped by State Patrol in Missouri a few months ago with multiple loaded firearms. The trooper was very understanding and appreciated the fact that I had the legal references available to show him.

As of 1/1/2011 I'll be able to conceal and carry in Iowa which then pretty much covers every state I ever travel in.

Well thats why I said be very careful. A gun in NJ? Your toast loaded or unloaded. Some places PA for example without a proper carry permit, gun and ammo should be stored and carried sepearatly as in Gun in trunk ammo in glove box.

Also Ted please do not mistake your Taurus for your iPhone the apps are very different

A gun in NJ? Your toast loaded or unloaded.

I don't understand how NJ state law can supersede Federal law which enables legal transport of firearms, properly stored, through states. :dunno:

While Glocks are fine weapons, I just don't like the trigger safety system either.

I actually do not like shooting Glocks. The web of my grip hand stings after sending just one magazine down range. My SIG is far more comfortable to shoot, IMO. Interestingly enough, the Springfield XD's do not bother me -- even though, IIRC, they weigh less than the Glock.

I have never felt comfortable with the "high conceal" firearms like the Keltec. I seriously feel like my fingers/hand is too big to effectively control the firearm. Hence, I've never bought one.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Well thats why I said be very careful.

Agree. I've only been to New Jersey once and I wasn't carrying. They wouldn't let me fill my own gas. Don't feel the need to ever go there again.

I actually do not like shooting Glocks. The web of my grip hand stings after sending just one magazine down range. My SIG is far more comfortable to shoot, IMO. Interestingly enough, the Springfield XD's do not bother me -- even though, IIRC, they weigh less than the Glock.

I have never felt comfortable with the "high conceal" firearms like the Keltec. I seriously feel like my fingers/hand is too big to effectively control the firearm. Hence, I've never bought one.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I have a XD. The main selling point over the Glock for me was the addition of the grip safety.

Agree. I've only been to New Jersey once and I wasn't carrying. They wouldn't let me fill my own gas. Don't feel the need to ever go there again.

You're not missing anything. I don't even like to fly over Jersey.

I don't own any Glocks, but I have shot a few. The grip angle seems to bother some. I did OK with the ones I have fired and was able to get some good groups on the target with a G19 and even a G36.

I don't understand how NJ state law can supersede Federal law which enables legal transport of firearms, properly stored, through states. :dunno:

Hey, if state laws can supersede the Constitution, a little federal law seems like child's play.

Well the shore is pretty damn fun!

Agreed.

If they could just make that part of PA, or another semi-free state, then it would really rock. :D

I have a XD. The main selling point over the Glock for me was the addition of the grip safety.

I also carry a 4" XD40. My main concern is fumbling with or forgetting about a manual safety catch if you only have a few seconds to draw and fire.

I'm of two minds about this. As pilots we all should know that these skills have to be drilled and if people are rusty, the fumble. So I am inclided towards DAO. I mean it's just like a .38 in operation. On the other hand... If the safety catch is ergonomic? Maybe it's not so bad. In exchange you get a better trigger.

I'm of two minds about this. As pilots we all should know that these skills have to be drilled and if people are rusty, the fumble. So I am inclided towards DAO. I mean it's just like a .38 in operation. On the other hand... If the safety catch is ergonomic? Maybe it's not so bad. In exchange you get a better trigger.

My thumb swipes the safety off as I draw the firearm. I make the same motion with my thumb no matter if the gun has a thumb safety or not.

The SAO firearm means the trigger is the same everytime I fire which I greatly prefer. I hate DA triggers.

Safety is an activity that starts with your intent and is best layered to prevent mistakes.

I like the DA/SA of the SIG. I don't like the trigger safety on the Glock. The Springfield is a bit of a punt in my eyes.

Maybe I just prefer the SIG because I have to make myself feel better over the price :dunno:

Cheers,

-Andrew

I'm liking Joyce's idea. Airplanes and guns - a great combination. Only better would be if we could add motorcycles. ;)

Or as a T shirt says, "Alcohol, tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency."

Having a concealed carry license that has reciprocity in the affected states helps TREMENDOUSLY.

And I just had a EUREKA moment.

FLY IN GUN RANGES....
I bet that would give the TSA fits..

All the more reason to do it.

Can't pump your own gas in Oregon, either. Yet it is less expensive than accross the river in Washington. Go figure. Oh yeah, we have higher taxes on the stuff. :incazzato:

Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

One question though...

Why didn't you get something in .40 S&W??

If you look at the ballistics of modern JHP ammo, 9MM, .40 and .45ACP are relatively close. .40 is an answer to a question never asked. It does nothing the 9MM can't do.

Yes I know Ted's gun is a .380.

Maybe I just prefer the SIG because I have to make myself feel better over the price :dunno:

I like the way that Sigs feel and shoot. But then again, I also like the way that Chevys drive. Due to the higher resale prices of Chevys and the fact that I buy used vehicles, I like my Fords better.

Or as a T shirt says, "Alcohol, tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency."

No kidding!

Can't pump your own gas in Oregon, either. Yet it is less expensive than accross the river in Washington. Go figure. Oh yeah, we have higher taxes on the stuff. :incazzato:

Don't know about Oregon, but with the NJ thing my understanding was they made that law to "create jobs." Basically come up with a useless task and force people to have to pay someone to do it. Sounds like the TSA. Anyway, NJ lowered the taxes on gas to make it significantly cheaper than NY. It's about the same as PA.

Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

One question though...

Why didn't you get something in .40 S&W??

What Jesse said. All the super-concealable guns out there are .380 or smaller, at least that I saw. I think there may be one or two 9mm variants, but the .380s are by far the most common. Different gun for different purpose. As Anthony pointed out earlier, it may not be the best option in an ideal world, but when you're unarmed because your gun is too big to conceal with what you're wearing, mine won't be.

The .45 ACP I like better than the .40 S&W anyway, and my Glock 30 fires those .45 ACP rounds quite nicely. Put a bunch of rounds through it happily. The Browning Buckmark .22LR I have makes a great target pistol. Inherently very accurate and just a fun little gun to fire.

If you look at the ballistics of modern JHP ammo, 9MM, .40 and .45ACP are relatively close.

Eh, not really. Try doing some tests in balistic gelatin. the 9mm overpenetrates, the .40 does a nice job and the .45 is devastating!

.40 is an answer to a question never asked. It does nothing the 9MM can't do.

So you're saying that tens of thousands of cops who traded their 9mm's for .40 S&W had no clue what they were doing?? FWIW, the .40 was a shortened 10mm that the FBI was using in the 80's. Now if you want to accuse a cartridge of being an answer to a question never asked, it's the 10mm. The .40 S&W offered performance close to the .45 in a small, 9mm sized pistol frame.

Yes I know Ted's gun is a .380.
and the .380 is a shortened, lower pressure 9mm. The ballistics aren't great, but adequate with a well placed shot.

Eh, not really. Try doing some tests in balistic gelatin. the 9mm overpenetrates, the .40 does a nice job and the .45 is devastating!

I am trying to locate the data and photos of ballistic gelation comparing modern Jacketed Hollow Point ammo of these three calibers. They are suprisingly similar. The key is the modern JHP ammo. Much different than FMJ rounds, especially in 9MM. THe hollow points stop the over penetration by expanding.

So you're saying that tens of thousands of cops who traded their 9mm's for .40 S&W had no clue what they were doing?? FWIW, the .40 was a shortened 10mm that the FBI was using in the 80's. Now if you want to accuse a cartridge of being an answer to a question never asked, it's the 10mm. The .40 S&W offered performance close to the .45 in a small, 9mm sized pistol frame.

and the .380 is a shortened, lower pressure 9mm. The ballistics aren't great, but adequate with a well placed shot.

Cops buy what their departments and the politicians that run them tell them what to buy. Much of their decisions are not based on performance but on price and politics, and issues like women police officers and their ability handle recoil.

The 10MM is a far superior round to the .40 S&W. Thus the name .40 "short & weak".

The 10MM is a far superior round to the .40 S&W. Thus the name .40 "short & weak".

I've talked with a few State Police officers from VA and MA. At the time (in MA), .40 S&W was the MSP standard issue caliber. The MASP trooper told me that .40 S&W had better impact energy when shot through a car door versus 9mm.

VASP uses .357 SIG to my knowledge. The VASP trooper troopers told me that the impact energy was similar to .40 S&W but with one or two more rounds. I've yet to find a .357 SIG that holds more rounds than a comparable .40 S&W. :dunno:

My (completely uninformed) theory is that police departments like boutique calibers that are comparable to 9mm and .45 ACP for the reason that no one knows what they are. You hear the phrase "9mm" or "a 45" and you think "gangbanger". You hear ".40" and ".357" you think "must be something special for police".

Cheers,

-Andrew

Yes, the .40 S&W has slightly more energy than the 9MM. I just don't think its a big difference, nor worth getting another caliber.

I copied this from The High Road. A pretty good shooting sports web site and the author of this post, Stephen A. Camp is a long time LEO and well respected firearms expert.

Hello. I normally try and stay out of the "stopping power" debates as some get pretty heated up and I'm not sure they change anyone's mind, but will comment on your question as it relates to me personally based on the admittedly statistically limited personal experience with both calibers and the Browning P35 pistol.

First, I believe that there is much "ballistic overlap" between some of the best 9mm loads and some of the .40 loads.
However, the fact remains that the forty will throw bigger, wider bullets at speeds similar to 9mm rounds. For example, a nine will toss out at 147 gr bullet at something under a thousand feet per second while a forty will do the same with a 180 gr bullet. A standard pressure 9mm 115 gr Winchester STHP gets around 1200 ft/sec while about the same velocity can be had with a forty caliber Winchester 155 gr STHP. You get the idea. I'd guess that in just pure "power," the forty can edge out the 9mm.

That is not to say that the nine is anybody's "weak sister" as is sometimes said. With the ammo available today, I think the 9mm rates an adequate "stopper." It has enough if properly placed, but I think that's true with any of the commonly-used defensive rounds, i.e.: they'll all do it if you hit vitals and none have enough if you don't if you're counting on stopping the attacker for physical reasons rather than psychological ones.

An officer under my command was forced to shoot a guy trying to kill him. The round was a 124 gr 9mm +P+ HydraShok. It was a one-shot stop and the bad guy was dead right there. He dropped instantly from the heart shot.

Some years later, another officer was hit in the lower torso with a 180 gr .40 JHP and while he was in very, very serious condition and lost a kidney as well, he was told that he might ought to sit down right after the shooting. He was NOT disabled nor in any really apparent discomfort; that did soon change, however.

Placement is the primary determinant to stopping power. Power is certainly a component of whatever the equation is, but I just don't personally trust any 9mm, .38, .357, .40, or .45 round to do its part if I cannot do mine. Even with really good hits, many do NOT instantly cease whatever they were doing to get shot for in the first place; there is a time lag of several seconds.

The Browning Hi Power remains my favorite all around pistol after about 30 years use, but the 1911 is soooooooo very close that on one day, it might be my "favorite" and the next day take second place again to the HP. While it could be from extensive use of the 9mm, I just didn't like the way the slightly wider slide and heavier .40 HP felt. Others do. I just went with what I liked best in that pistol and it was the 9x19mm.

Confidence in one's chosen defensive caliber is important in my view. There's so much we cannot control in a deadly force scenario that much emphasis is put on those things we can like the make/model and caliber of the gun for those having a choice.
We can also pick the load for the given caliber and as we all know there's much discussion over what constitutes the "best" caliber and load for same. I'd suggest that if you pick something in 9mm,
.38 Super, .357 SIG, 9x23, .40 or .45ACP in autos, and learn to get hits with your choice at speed, you'll find that you do have "adequate stopping power".........probably! We ask much of our defensive calibers in terms of decking a 200 lb felon when men have been known to take rifle hits w/o "stopping" on occassion.

I reckon what I'm saying is that if you can get the hits with your forty and feel more confident in it than a 9mm, go for it. If you feel like you hit better with the 9mm and "trust" it to do the job, go for it. Where and what you hit will likely make the difference assuming that the bad guy doesn't "stop" because he wants to, but because he has to.

I prefer the 9MM and .45 ACP over the .40S&W, but YMMV as Stephen notes.

The switch to .40 is inevitable just like the switch to unleaded gasoline... what?

I love my 1911 and it actually conceals surprisingly well, but not as easily as the S&W 642 that's my EDC. The big gun was fine when I was working and on my feet most of the day, but the J-frame is a much more comfortable carry in the vehicle and in casual clothes.

Enjoyed reading this thread. I've only ever shot skeet. Loved it, though I completely suck at it.

Meanwhile, my mother, who is a former probation officer and a lawyer has a shotgun, which she keeps bedside, and loaded. Kind of scary when I came over one night to help her take out the trash and she came to the top of the stairs with the gun aimed at me said freeze or I blow you away. Once I started laughing she said, Oh Ben! It's you! How are you today?

That impressed me! (She's 72, and quite strong and capable, as you can see!)

Yes, the .40 S&W has slightly more energy than the 9MM. I just don't think its a big difference, nor worth getting another caliber.

I copied this from The High Road. A pretty good shooting sports web site and the author of this post, Stephen A. Camp is a long time LEO and well respected firearms expert.

I prefer the 9MM and .45 ACP over the .40S&W, but YMMV as Stephen notes.

I carried a Ruger SP101 in .357 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I carried a Glock 27 in .40 when I was in NC, but the more I practiced with it and the more PPC courses I ran, the less I liked it. It was a handful with such a short grip. So, in cooler Wx when I wore a jacket or a suitcoat, I carried a Sig 226 in 9mm, which I loved. With a paddle holster, it worked well for me.

I have a lot of handguns that go bang, including a Springfield .45 Professional, but I guess with age I like the accuracy of a 9 better than the bang of something larger.

When I was younger, much younger, I had a S&W 32 snub nose. I would pack it from time to time, but mostly it sat in a drawer.

About 20 years ago I had a prowler outside my bedroom window, who's clumsiness woke me up. I keep a KABAR in my night stand beside my bed, by the time I came up behind him, it dawned on me that I had the KABAR in my hand and not my gun. He heard me and saw me approaching with the knife, he took off through the brambles. From the smell of it, I guessed he was so frightened he lost it in his pants. The cops showed up about that time, the neighbor had called him in as a peeping Tom.

They never caught the guy, but put me through some serious drilling until the neighbor who called them came over and identified me.

Anyway, that is the only time I had ever actually used a weapon to defend my home.
I now have a Colt Officers ACP-45, that also sits in a drawer. I have no clue why I bought it, probably a guy thing.

I'm wondering how many of you, who do not pack as part of their livelihood, have ever actually had to use a weapon to defend your person or property here at home? Did you ever have to shoot someone while doing it?

I am thinking that a serious knife is a whole lot more frightening than a gun to a miscreant, unless of course, he has a gun.

John

Last edited:
My great grandmother had someone come in through her bedroom window one night. Probably in her late 70s, early 80s at the time. She pulled her .32 revolver out of the drawer and marched him right out the front door. He was not seen in that town again.

Have I had to defend myself or my family. Thankfully, no.

One of the most important aspects of any new carry gun is to run a couple hundred rounds through it and make sure it functions well and is reliable. You don't want to get in a situation where it doesn't perform as expected... Even more so with .380s as they can sometimes be pretty finicky. Sights and action are important, but not nearly as important as the 'bang' function.

This is very good advice for any defense weapon, regardless of whether it's a carry weapon or it stays in the home.

I am thinking that a serious knife is a whole lot more frightening than a gun to a miscreant, unless of course, he has a gun.

A knife is a poor self defense weapon. I don't think most "miscreants" are more afraid of them than a gun.

A knife is a poor self defense weapon. I don't think most "miscreants" are more afraid of them than a gun.

Perhaps it depends on the person who is holding the knife. I've never heard of anything being a poor self defense weapon. Some weapons are better than others, granted, but anything is better than nothing. Heck, a rolled up magazine can do a whole lot of damage.

I'm surprised any of us feels the need for self defense weapons these days. With all the badges and guns everywhere, not counting our well paid police forces, what's to be afraid of?

John

Last edited:
Perhaps it depends on the person who is holding the knife. I've never heard of anything being a poor self defense weapon. Some weapons are better than others, granted, but anything is better than nothing. Heck, a rolled up magazine can do a whole lot of damage.

I'm surprised any of us feels the need for self defense weapons these days. With all the badges and guns everywhere, not counting our well paid police forces, what's to be afraid of?

John

You can't be serious...? :confused:

John
sure hope you are being sarcastic. I just do not see how the police can protect anyone from an assault. Even if you have your cell in your hand & ready to dial, what will you do in the 1/2 hour to 45 minutes it takes for the police to respond?. Dave

Meanwhile, my mother, who is a former probation officer and a lawyer has a shotgun, which she keeps bedside, and loaded. Kind of scary when I came over one night to help her take out the trash and she came to the top of the stairs with the gun aimed at me said freeze or I blow you away. Once I started laughing she said, Oh Ben! It's you! How are you today?

More breakins have been stopped with a shotgun full of bird-shot or a slightly rusty .38 revolver than all the laser-pointered high-cap tactical bonded JHP loaded 'ultimate home defense weapons' together.

Back