Bo's and Gastons don't mix

"Banked hard" probably means "lost control while performing extreme control inputs at low speed and at insufficient altitude".

"He said he attempted to land on the field, but saw that pedestrians were walking across the landing strip in the path of the plane."

I've had that happen there more times than I can count.

When I was there after landing some teen boys began playing touch football on the landing strip.
And when I got ready to leave I called the office to get a guy in a golf cart to run the flock of Snow Geese off the runway.

I have heard it is a dangerous place to fly.
Especially with a whoopiedo in the middle of the runway.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

"He said he attempted to land on the field, but saw that pedestrians were walking across the landing strip in the path of the plane."

I've had that happen there more times than I can count.

Um...how high can you count? :sosp:

Um...how high can you count? :sosp:
If you go there over a weekend or at least a nice weekend you'll probably witness least 30 different instances during the weekend where the non flying patrons think the runway is a giant park for them to walk on.

Tim's been there at least three or four times that I've been there so 120 at least. Pretty sure Tim can count that high although I have my doubts but I'm pretty sure he did not keep track once it exceeded 20.

What's funny is my wildlife clearing pass at 6Y9 doubles as an idiot clearing pass at 3M0. And when you do it at 200 miles an hour at about ten feet off the ground you will see some idiots scramble.

Last edited:
I've heard that most males can count as high as 21. After that, it becomes difficult. ;)

"Banked hard" probably means "lost control while performing extreme control inputs at low speed and at insufficient altitude".
I somehow doubt lost control and the rather benign crash coincide.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Losing control on the ground, is still losing control. :)
Nah. Losing control in the air usually causes aerodynamic stalls. Accidents from such loss of control are much more violent.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Andrew might tell us shortly (or not). He's now working for the FAA and is heading that way today. This will be his first involvement in a crash investigation.

Tim's been there at least three or four times that I've been there so 120 at least. Pretty sure Tim can count that high although I have my doubts but I'm pretty sure he did not keep track once it exceeded 20.

Since I've lived in the immediate area for almost all of my flying life, saying I've been there 40 or 50 times is not an exaggeration. But, as Timbeck said...21 is about as high as I can count! ;)

What's funny is my wildlife clearing pass at 6Y9 doubles as an idiot clearing pass at 3M0. And when you do it at 200 miles an hour at about ten feet off the ground you will see some idiots scramble.

The same type of idiots who let 5 year-old kids roam unsupervised in a community center displaying artwork and sculptures.

Gaston's really should have signs all along the runway advising people to keep TF off. It's likely that many just don't understand, especially if it's their first visit.

You know, maybe we should have a "this is a f***ing runway" sign design contest and send the top 4 or 5 to Gaston's with a letter recommending that they post them every 50' or so along the perimeter.

You know, maybe we should have a "this is a f***ing runway" sign design contest and send the top 4 or 5 to Gaston's with a letter recommending that they post them every 50' or so along the perimeter.

Nah. 400,000kV single wire electric fence. Then we can watch them pop like bugs at a bug zapper.

For the longest time, I never knew what whoopdeedoo people were talking about, nor the 'dangerous' power lines. Then I realized that I was always to idle taxi speed by the time I got to the whoopdeedoo, and my pattern was tight enough I was over/inside the powerlines.

Banked, then lost the engine.. sounds like low fuel unported the gas intake. Said someone was walking on the airstrip so he had to land in a hay field. The guy's luck was good, just not great.

Do you do it like this?

Should have hit the pedestrians. Or at least tried.
I think I mentioned this: In the Air Force, we were all required to take "Driving Safety" classes, and get signed off for every vehicle on our drivers license.
I had everything on my license, so I was in classes for 2 weeks. :D
Anywhen, after a bunch of boring lectures, we do "scenario training". They would flash an image on the screen, and you would explain your "escape route", how you would minimize damage and injury to you and your vehicle.
Bottom line: Hit the softest target. No brainer, right?
Then they showed an image where the only "escape route" was to plow through a bunch of people, a mob of school kids on a class trip, if I remember correctly. Of course no one picked that route.
And we all failed the "test".
They explained to us that they had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in us, even more for pilots and flight crews, and our job was to stay alive and uninjured, even if it meant killing kids to do it.
One of the pilots in the class countered with the "I don't murder innocent kids!", and the response from the training officer was "What do you think happens when you drop napalm on a village in Vietnam?"
No moralizing, no editorializing, just a comment on what life is like for some people.

...Then they showed an image where the only "escape route" was to plow through a bunch of people, a mob of school kids on a class trip, if I remember correctly. Of course no one picked that route.
And we all failed the "test".
They explained to us that they had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in us, even more for pilots and flight crews, and our job was to stay alive and uninjured, even if it meant killing kids to do it....

couldn't you just honk your horn so the people would move? meep meep

Shelter Cove is a little coastal strip (well, not super little) that is smack in the middle of a golf course. I've had to go around before due to golfers on the runway.

Bonanza has a history of fuel starvation = AD 70-03-05 "TURNING TYPE TAKOFFS, AND TAKEOFFS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING FAST TAXI TURN PROHIBITED. AVOID PROLONGED SLIPS (20 SECONDS OR MORE) WITH FUEL TANKS LESS THAN HALF FULL"

72-11-02
3) a) Install a yellow band on the outside of the glass on each main fuel quantity gage. The yellow band should extend from the empty to the 1/2 full gage markings on airplanes with 25 gallon main fuel cells and to the 3/8 gage marking on single engine airplanes with 40 gallon main fuel cells. On single engine models equipped with vertical type engine gage, install a yellow band on the fuel gage from 0-80 pounds and install a new full mark at the top of the gage. Add yellow band from empty to 1/4 gage marking on Baron model airplanes with 39 or 40 gallon fuel cells, except that on Baron Models 58 and 58A airplanes add yellow band from empty to 1/8 gage markings.

b) Install a placard on the fuel selector cover or floating instrument panel in full view of the pilot with the following wording: "Do not take off if fuel gages indicate in the yellow band or with less than 13 gallons in each main tank", and operate the airplane in accordance with this limitation.

c) Change the left hand and right hand tank capacities on the fuel selector panel as follows:

1) to 22 gallons on airplanes equipped with 25 gallon main fuel cells,

2) to 37 gallons on airplanes equipped with 39 or 40 gallon main fuel cells,

3) to 70 gallons on Models 58 and 58A airplanes equipped with standard fuel system, and

4) to 83 gallons on Models 58 and 58A airplanes equipped with 84 gallon optional fuel system.

Also, change the main fuel cell filler capacity marking on each wing to indicate the above capacities.

d) Adjust the existing weight and balance information for each airplane to compensate for the increase in the amount of unusable fuel.

Back