Bombshell

No only one violent felony unless breaking a payphone cord is considered violent. I just always thought violence is only when directed at a person.

Depends on the definition contained within the penal code that you were charged with.

Also, keep in mind that the FAA operates by "Administrative Law" versus "Criminal Law". This means that the rules and interpretations about what you were charged with might not line up with what your familiar with.

But it's the FAA's sandbox we're dealing with and we must abide by their rules.

If you have the means, you need to see this through, and you have to do it this time. If you let this go, it will be tougher to get done later I think. I think you would regret it too. We all have a past of some sort, leave it there and go fly.

Anyone have a ballpark on how much I can expect to pay Dr. Bruce from start to finish?

No only one violent felony unless breaking a payphone cord is considered violent. I just always thought violence is only when directed at a person.

Nope, violence is a destructive outburst on your part, to what it's directed is irrelevant, it's your inability to control your temper.

Last edited:
I guess I will have to find out the likelihood of succeeding. I'm not usually quick to give up in the face of adversity but I am a realist and if its just not looking like the chances are good I will accept my fate.

Just see what the FAA has to say. Very likely you will have to undergo a battery of tests by a psychiatrist that will be rather costly.

If you have the means, you need to see this through, and you have to do it this time. If you let this go, it will be tougher to get done later I think. I think you would regret it too. We all have a past of some sort, leave it there and go fly.

Actually, the more time that goes by with no further infractions, the easier it will be.

Anyone have a ballpark on how much I can expect to pay Dr. Bruce from start to finish?

Bruce doesn't charge a bunch, but the psychiatrist you will likely need... I'm guestamating $3k worth of testing.

I have about 2000 a month to use for lessons I guess I'll cancel all my lessons and put the money towards whatever I'll have to do to get cleared. Hopefully I can get some advice from Dr Bruce and he can tell me if I'm wasting my time or not.

Not an expert on the reform bullet points, but if Bob has already been to the AME and submitted a live 8500-8, and then is denied, I beleive he will remain denied if the 3rd class reform goes through.

In other words, I don't think the passage of the reform will create any amnesty for applicants who have been denied under existing rules.
As I understand it, this is true. It won't affect the sport pilot catch-22, and in order to qualify for the PBOR2 exemption, you need to have held a 3rd class medical at least once.

The unusual thing about PBOR2 in its current form is that if he had held a 3rd class in the last 10 years but got denied renewing or reapplying, the denial wouldn't count against him for PPL privileges, thus rendering the sport privileges catch-22 moot. But you do need that one 3rd class.

Well you chose the alias of a celebrity with very public substance and legal troubles, and the two threads you've started have been premised on highly improbable facts relating to highly inflammatory topics that have been discussed here many times and always result in "interesting" threads. Maybe you're not a troll, but you certainly have some of the hallmarks. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I can appreciate that. I've gotten the Robert Downey remarks since my youth haha. I do wish this was made up but this is indeed my reality. Made my bed now I'm laying in it. It's a vile , heart breaking bed indeed.

Bruce doesn't charge a bunch, but the psychiatrist you will likely need... I'm guestamating $3k worth of testing.

Depending on testing required, it could be 1.5x to 2.0x that amount.

I have about 2000 a month to use for lessons I guess I'll cancel all my lessons and put the money towards whatever I'll have to do to get cleared. Hopefully I can get some advice from Dr Bruce and he can tell me if I'm wasting my time or not.

Give him a shout then, he's well enough connected at CAMI that he can likely find out what they say before you get the letter.

I just don't know if I can justify spending that kind of money without knowing it'll be successful.

Give him a shout then, he's well enough connected at CAMI that he can likely find out what they say before you get the letter.

I will. At least find out what he thinks my chances are and then make my decision based off that

I just don't know if I can justify spending that kind of money without knowing it'll be successful.

Well, the question really comes down to, "How nuts are you?" FAA doesn't like more than 80% nuts.

I filled out the contact form on his website earlier and he already responded. Looks like he gets everyones approval for good reason.

Generally you want to know in advance whats going to happen on your medical. An AME can discuss your conditions with the FAA and arrive at a decision before you step foot in the doctors office. But once the doctor opens the medical, its too late.

The idea is that you don't want to get rejected outright because then you're done. And you'd like to avoid getting a deferral because that means a break in flyng and jumping through hoops to get back to it. Your AME can find out what the hoops are, you jump through them before your medical and then go in with positive results in hand so there is no break.

I dont know all the rules for these things, but youve presented a pattern of disregard for authority and societal norms. Would you want someone that gives that appearance as a pilot?

Humility is your best friend now. The dui was long ebough ago that you can get by it, but dont haveanother one. Its time to fly straight in every way.

Thanks Brian. Yeah I have made a mess of things for sure. I hope they give me the chance to show that I'm not that person anymore, but no I wouldn't blame them for not giving it to me. Consequences can last far beyond the initial backlash, learning that the hard way.

Thanks Brian. Yeah I have made a mess of things for sure. I hope they give me the chance to show that I'm not that person anymore, but no I wouldn't blame them for not giving it to me. Consequences can last far beyond the initial backlash, learning that the hard way.

They'll give you the chance, it just won't likely be free.

I know at least one convicted felony with a pilots license. It was for fraud though... Felonious assault might be viewed different.

I've been in plenty of fights. However you really have to hurt someone beyond a typical broken nose or chipped tooth, or use a weapon to get hit with that. Only fight I feel bad about was in high school with an one again off again neighborhood friend. Only feel bad because about 6 years ago he died in a helicopter crash.

It resulted in a broken jaw that's how it ended up being a felony.

I heard back from him and the killer for me was the inpatient rehab he says is required. I'm self employed with a family I could not manage a stint in rehab. On the bright side at least I learned this now and not after many hours of training. Still a hard one to swallow, not a good feeling at all.

Thanks everyone for your advice and well wishes.

By doing this the way you have I believe you have retained your eligibility to be licensed as a Sport Pilot and fly LSAs.

And if at some point in the future you are able to take a 30-day "vacation" you know what to do with it.

Last edited:
I thought I read that being denied the medical makes me ineligible for doing the sport pilot. If im wrong that would be plus.

I thought I read that being denied the medical makes me ineligible for doing the sport pilot. If im wrong that would be plus.

No your correct...if you wanted to be LSA....you wouldn't have spoken with an AME.

Based on what I've read....it's gonna cost you just as much to get this rectified as is will to get your PPL.

My .02

The FAA likes level minded non substance abusing type people.

That being said....there are some flying worse than you and probably more with substance abuse issues.....they just never had it on their record.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I thought. I have done myself in. From cloud 9 (first 2 lessons this past week) to cloud -9 in the blink of an eye.

Yeah that's what I thought. I have done myself in. From cloud 9 (first 2 lessons this past week) to cloud -9 in the blink of an eye.

Personally I don't think it's a done deal yet....just might cost ya more than ur willing to spend.

If you went LSA in first place without talking to AME....might have been softer landing.

You may still get a medical but you really need to get experts working on this fast. If you can afford it they may have you do a bunch of tests.

As I read the standards, it appears a medical is still obtainable.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...m/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item18/v/

I don't recall you saying, but your medical was almost certainly deferred. You will be getting a letter from the FAA outlining what they want you to do. At a minimum I'd expect

1) copies of all your court records
2) substance abuse evaluation
3) Personal statement. Maturity, humility and learning on on the forefront here.

Once provided, I would expect will be able to get a normal 3rd class medical. As long as you have no further incidents, you can just check the YES boxes in the future and state "as previously reported, no change".

Keep in mind that this is all just the opinion of some guy on the internet...

It resulted in a broken jaw that's how it ended up being a felony.

I heard back from him and the killer for me was the inpatient rehab he says is required. I'm self employed with a family I could not manage a stint in rehab. On the bright side at least I learned this now and not after many hours of training. Still a hard one to swallow, not a good feeling at all.

Thanks everyone for your advice and well wishes.
Inpatient rehab for a 12 year old DUI??? Is this from your AME or from Dr. Bruce?

Dr Bruce said it. I think due to the fact that I blew .192

He gave me an alternate method to be cleared for a 3rd class, 24 months proof of sobriety via testing and going to couselling and AA and then after completing that they give the 3rd class and you stay under supervision for 24 more months. That's something I'm considering

I called to cancel my scheduled training and the guy on the phone suggested also contacting AOPA, anyone know what they can offer someone in my situation? Or is Dr Bruce the top dog in this type of deal?

I called to cancel my scheduled training and the guy on the phone suggested also contacting AOPA, anyone know what they can offer someone in my situation? Or is Dr Bruce the top dog in this type of deal?

Bruce knows this all like the back of his hand. There is nothing AOPA is going to be able to do that he can't.

Now, here's another option to get you flying for the next 24 months, and actually it will make you a much better, and safer pilot even when you get your powered rating, Gliders. Gliders don't require a medical and are a lot of fun and really teach you the ins and outs of energy management.

There is also Pt 103 Ultralights, however you won't be able to carry a passenger in them whereas the gliders you will. Both are also less expensive options than Pt 91 airplanes. Ultralights are also a lot of fun and have a better 'community' to them for the social aspect that is missing from Pt 91.

X2 on the glider route and on Bruce.

AOPA is only good for hats, junk mail and half arse lobbying.

Back