Bombshell

bob8619

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Downey
I know this stuff has been discussed many times over but I didnt find anything really fit my situation so I wanted to get some thoughts.

I went to my medical exam today and realized the severity of past criminal activity. For some reason I didn't know that the medical was anything beyond physical health. I figured criminal history was only something to overcome when trying to get a job.

2003- DUI at age 17.
2004- Felony battery
2005- Possession of alcohol by a minor (no conviction)
2005- Misdemeanor Battery (no conviction)
2006- Felony Criminal Mischief (broke a pay phone)
2011- Affray (fighting in public)

My medical examiner said the only thing they will care about is the DUI and he felt confident that its been long enough for it to have less of an impact. He may have just been being optimistic to make me feel better about the fee I paid for the exam.

Your thoughts? Am I done for? I don't have any desire to fly for an airline so no need to tell me that I wont be doing that.

Call Dr Chien. You will probably need to get some kind of evaluation done for the DUI but as far as everything else is concerned you should be fine.

Very encouraging thank you. Not being sarcastic if it sounds that way.

Oh and for the record I went with the honesty method so the FAA is aware of all of those arrests. In case that changes anything.

What was your blood alcohol level?

Have you considered an anger management course? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.192 if I remember correctly. And yeah I've done my share of anger management. I didn't stop acting stupid afterwards unfortunately. Thats not me anymore though. Neither the fighting nor the drinking.

.192 if I remember correctly. And yeah I've done my share of anger management. I didn't stop acting stupid afterwards unfortunately. Thats not me anymore though. Neither the fighting nor the drinking.

That .192 just opened up a whole bunch of issues - and unfortunately most likely your wallet as well.

I thought there was something about the .15+ was a problem if within 5 years or something?

I third or fourth using Dr. Chien to sort through this...
And you better hurry...the clock IS ticking...

"The letter" will be along shortly. It gives a very short window to provide data.

For some reason I didn't know that the medical was anything beyond physical health
This has been repeated here many many items..."you need to own your medical"...

Know everything you can know about the process...do not EVER submit unless you are 100% sure that it will be issued.

I has A DUI in 1987...blew an .08

Fast forward to 2007...it was BIG deal...

EDIT:TWO felonies...this will be an uphill battle for you my friend. Good luck.

Thats not me anymore though.

I hear these stories all the time, and see young people locally with these things going on in their lives. Do you have any insight as to what made you cross the line, or go astray back then? Seems like it's a national epidemic for young adults to behave as such now and as a nation, we do little to prevent it.....so it continues unabated. Is it as simple as getting in with the wrong crowd? What makes the 'wrong crowd' get that way then? Is it normal anti-authority behavior of youth? :dunno:

I was a very good kid until I turned 17, flew model airplanes, no partying whatsoever etc. One night had a friend talk me into trying liquor and it was all downhill from there. I never got into drugs so I thought I was OK since booze is legal.. I don't like to blame others for it because nobody held a gun to my head but I think its true to some extent that the being around wrong crowd is a factor.

EDIT this was in response to Dave Taylor

Last edited:
As others said, for this you need the guidance of a very experienced and well connected AME. Dr. Bruce Chien is one of the best ones for you.

With the history as stated, there is going to be a request to gain ALL records associated with each individual incident. Get busy on that now. Police reports, arrest records, court documents, etc. are just the start. Expect to be required to produce more.

With the alcohol involved, you will be tasked with proving that you do not have a dependance or a high tolerance (think of the Denzel Washington character in the FLIGHT movie). This may require even more documentation, psychological testing that is paid for out of pocket, sponsorship by a HIMS level AME, and frequent UA tests to demonstrate continued sobriety.

2006- Felony Criminal Mischief (broke a pay phone)

At least it wasn't cutting the heads off of parking meters in Florida. For that you might have landed on a 1950's chain gang

My dream had always been to fly and I recently was offered help in paying for training and I'm 2 lessons into it and have loved every step of the learning process both in the air and on the ground. I truly felt like I had won the lottery and now im starting to feel like that lottery ticket was one of those fake ones.

My dream had always been to fly and I recently was offered help in paying for training and I'm 2 lessons into it and have loved every step of the learning process both in the air and on the ground. I truly felt like I had won the lottery and now im starting to feel like that lottery ticket was one of those fake ones.

Don't.

Just man up and do what it takes.

I would wait to see if 3rd class medical reform happens and then it would be a non issue.

It's too late to recommend Bruce, he's already done it from the sounds of things. I think if you are planning on getting a job the needs an ATP you're gonna run into a major issue with the moral turpitude clause with the 2 felonies. Good luck.

Hope is not lost but you need to contact dr. bruce and see if anything can be done Too bad you did not come here before your medical

It's too late to recommend Bruce, he's already done it from the sounds of things. I think if you are planning on getting a job the needs an ATP you're gonna run into a major issue with the moral turpitude clause with the 2 felonies. Good luck.

What do you mean by too late for Bruce and what have I already done? And no I dont desire to go for ATP

What do you mean by too late for Bruce and what have I already done? And no I dont desire to go for ATP

If you talked to dr. bruce first he could have advised you on what you needed.

See the problem is if your denied based on the FAA thinking your criminal history is from a personality disorder then your locked out of sport pilot or any relief should a miracle happen and the third class medical reform passes

Hope is not lost but you need to contact dr. bruce and see if anything can be done Too bad you did not come here before your medical

Yeah I'm usually pretty thorough in my research about stuff I guess I let this one slip away. Its been such a non issue in my life these last 4+ years that I really didn't think much about the skeletons.

Because you already submitted the paperwork without understanding what to say and the supporting paperwork. Do you have your medical/Student Pilot Certificate in your pocket, or were you deferred?

... and now im starting to feel like that lottery ticket was one of those fake ones.

Don't lose heart. What you're facing is those "consequences of your actions" the wiser folks than us speak of.

It will be an uphill battle. But there is a chance of you winning the battle. Especially with the guidance of the correct AME. I hope the one you have already seen, that you were honest with, is the correct AME and is willing to guide you to a positive conclusion.

What I hope he isn't is one of the many who just collect your money, defer you to OKC, and say "Oh well" when the application is denied, not willing to take the extra steps that could have helped you.

Do know that by seeing the AME, you've already unleashed the worms from the can and let loose the cat from the bag. As another said, you will be getting a letter from the FAA asking you to do certain things, and give you a very short deadline to accomplish them. This is a stage that can make or break you, especially if you don't have the right person to guide you.

Go get that guidance. Be honest with them, be humble, and do everything they say. Do this with Dr. Chien and your chances of obtaining your medical certificate are about as good as possible for your situation.

Best of luck to you!

Yeah I'm usually pretty thorough in my research about stuff I guess I let this one slip away. Its been such a non issue in my life these last 4+ years that I really didn't think much about the skeletons.

You may still get a medical but you really need to get experts working on this fast. If you can afford it they may have you do a bunch of tests.

I would wait to see if 3rd class medical reform happens and then it would be a non issue.

Not an expert on the reform bullet points, but if Bob has already been to the AME and submitted a live 8500-8, and then is denied, I beleive he will remain denied if the 3rd class reform goes through.

In other words, I don't think the passage of the reform will create any amnesty for applicants who have been denied under existing rules.

You may still get a medical but you really need to get experts working on this fast. If you can afford it they may have you do a bunch of tests.

By experts are you referring to Bruce?

At this point he may as well wait for the letter from the FAA stating what they need.

What kind of time frame are we talking about here? Months or less?

Good luck. I don't know the particulars about the medical but I'd try to tone things down a bit. It's best to ignore certain things that may irritate.

And am I wrong that the .15 + BAC is only a factor if within 5 years?

At this point he may as well wait for the letter from the FAA stating what they need.

Yeah but I would worry about is how long it takes to get records from the courts.

Or very senior, very experienced AME's like him.

From what I have heard, there are only 15-20 across the nation that operate on the level of Dr. Chien. And are as hard working as he is.

But be warned... Bruce has a short fuse. If he feels you are not being 100% honest with him, nor willing to do 110% of the effort to make it happen, he will drop you as a client at near light speed.

And be sure to be very willing to pay his (reasonable) fee for his work. It isn't exorbitant, but it is still due to him for doing this work for you.

What kind of time frame are we talking about here? Months or less?

Many months....

Bruce has shared some successful certification stories with us regarding airmen who had multiple alcohol related law enforcement encounters. Many took 6-9 months to resolve.

Yeah, I would pay dr. bruce to look over your records and advise you. You can wait until you get the FAA lletter if your confident you can get records fast but if it was me I would already start gathering them.

No only one violent felony unless breaking a payphone cord is considered violent. I just always thought violence is only when directed at a person.

Agreed...

(wait... did that just happen? Me agreeing with Henning??!?)

I guess I will have to find out the likelihood of succeeding. I'm not usually quick to give up in the face of adversity but I am a realist and if its just not looking like the chances are good I will accept my fate.

Back