Body Found On Detroit Runway

In the late 90's early 2000's I flew into KDET quite a bit for business, airport itself was OK, the surrounding neighborhood is scary!! I was at the Cobo arena for the new car show with a friend and when it was time to leave we jumped into a cab and told him, "City Airport". He said he doesn't go to City Airport, but somehow $50 changed his mind! :D I'd fly in there again, but I wouldn't want to be outside the fence after dark!! :eek:

Baltimore - unsubstantiated hearsay is the books are cooked, to under-report and mis-report crime in the tourist centric-inner harbor. I admit I don't know if this is urban legend, straight truth, or shades of gray. I do know a diffrence of a block or two can be dramatic; wander out of Little Italy just a bit and you may not wander back.

look up the stats....they don't lie.

Actually, yes they do, especially when it comes to cities and city crime statistics.

St. Louis, for example, gets a bad rap and is near the top of most lists of dangerous cities. But St. Louis is a very small town (315,000) in a very large metro area (2.7 mil). i.e. St. Louis consists of 11.5% of the metro area's downtown. And, of course, the downtown area of almost any city is the most crime ridden.

San Antonio, OTOH, makes up a far larger percentage of their metro area (1.49 mil of 2.3 mil)...65%

Chicago is 2.7 mil of 9.5 mil or 28%

So, sure, St. Louis looks bad, but that's like looking at the statistics of only the inner city of many other metros. When you look at the crime statistics of metropolitan areas, St. Louis barely breaks the top 100 and is on many lists of safest metro areas. (And, actually, both Springfield, MO and KC, MO's metro area crime rates are higher)

Detroit, OTOH, is at or near the top either way you look at it.

In the first 13 days of 2017, Charlotte has had 7 homicides! Last year there were only 67 total. We are on a record pace. :(

Man, when I left the big city of Chicago I thought I was leaving this craziness behind.

Back