Bo down Half Moon Bay

Did he even have a selfie stick, or was he holding his phone with his arm?

Heck if I know. Sure did a nice job of framing on that wave to the helicopter shot, though. Pro level work there. Haha.

I was under the impression that the photography was mainly going to be done from the other airplane.

That’s not usually how YT personalities work. How would the viewer get the “full experience of flight” without sixteen GoPros and all possible angles? LOL.

I don't see any basis for substituting "how YT personalities work" for what the participants said they were doing, i.e., my understanding was that the second plane was there to take pictures of the Bo. I would also be concerned about basing potentially libelous remarks on events that could have a number of innocent explanations. I'm not saying who in particular might be guilty of libel, just that I have seen accusations from some people that seem risky to me.

By the way, has it been confirmed that there were no GoPros mounted on the Bo?

I don't see any basis for substituting "how YT personalities work" for what the participants said they were doing,

I guess we’ll have to stop speculating about people and their repetitive known behavior patterns and wait a few years like the kiddie rapist chick and friends. LOL.

Lible! Hahahahaha What damages is he going to sue for? He just sank his largest asset.

Be interesting to see if Bose and ForeFlight want away from Guthmiller now. Or if they want to continue their relationships with “adventure” pilots. Or if they think they’re one degree removed from their Instagram friends.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they said “Yeah, um, don’t put us on your friend’s videos you post. Stick to yours.”

Here’s the video with the story from the pilot. Guys in the YouTube comments are ripping him apart. Opinions?

I abhor vertical video..

For what it's worth I don't think the guy planned it, but he definitely appreciates the camera and the attention..!

Just watched Matt’s interview of the pilot.

I seriously hate to speculate, but there definitely might be something to the idea where he says he wasn’t sure that all of the sediment was siphoned out.

Definitely feel like he’s shared a lot of information during an investigation like this. May not bode well for him given his past behaviors and convictions.

I abhor vertical video..

For what it's worth I don't think the guy planned it, but he definitely appreciates the camera and the attention..!
Agree. Posted that video without realizing it was already posted in the first few replies. Haha.

Agree. Posted that video without realizing it was already posted in the first few replies. Haha.
I hadn't seen it yet, I started to watch this thread less and less as it seems to be going off the rails just a hair.. albeit that's what PoA is good at!

you also don't know how you will react in an emergency situation, especially in a day and age when everybody has cameras.. you're probably on an adrenaline high and just happy you survived the ditching, which, admittedly, seems like he did a pretty good job at

this could be a case of boy who cried wolf thing. But if I've got my friend on a cell phone and I know the Coast guard is coming I'd probably take the camera out too and maybe even use that as a way to distract myself.. somehow living your own life vicariously through a camera disconnects you from the situation psychologically

Got stuck on a high part of a chair lift once, having the camera out and documenting it made it less stressful

this could be a case of boy who cried wolf thing. But if I've got my friend on a cell phone and I know the Coast guard is coming I'd probably take the camera out too and maybe even use that as a way to distract myself.. somehow living your own life vicariously through a camera disconnects you from the situation psychologically

Yep. First thing I think of while being stung by jellyfish and becoming hypothermic is to whip out the camera for a distraction. LOL.

I guess we’ll have to stop speculating about people and their repetitive known behavior patterns and wait a few years like the kiddie rapist chick and friends. LOL.

Lible! Hahahahaha What damages is he going to sue for? He just sank his largest asset.

Be interesting to see if Bose and ForeFlight want away from Guthmiller now. Or if they want to continue their relationships with “adventure” pilots. Or if they think they’re one degree removed from their Instagram friends.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they said “Yeah, um, don’t put us on your friend’s videos you post. Stick to yours.”

The guy has money and a pretty successful company.

Speaking of known behavior patterns, so far, no one has answered my question as to whether he had any known history of defrauding insurance companies.

Speaking of known behavior patterns, so far, no one has answered my question as to whether he had any known history of defrauding insurance companies.
I would assume that to be a no then.

I have to say a post grad psych major could probably write quite a dissertation based only on this thread. I can think of at least one, possibly more relatively active members here who have been involved in flights that caused the NTSB to get involved. But because the individuals involved were regular posters and/or somewhat known to the regulars here, the general temperature of the resulting threads was 'glad you're ok man, get well soon, get back on the horse as soon as you can yada yada yada...'

Funny how that was not at all the general temperature in this thread. Quite the study in human nature this one. Makes me wonder what innate need and/or combination of circumstances so precisely sharpened our tendency to be so suspicious of those we haven't had any previous contact with and to also be so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those we have had previous contact with.

I have to say a post grad psych major could probably write quite a dissertation based only on this thread. I can think of at least one, possibly more relatively active members here who have been involved in flights that caused the NTSB to get involved. But because the individuals involved were regular posters and/or somewhat known to the regulars here, the general temperature of the resulting threads was 'glad you're ok man, get well soon, get back on the horse as soon as you can yada yada yada...'

Funny how that was not at all the general temperature in this thread. Quite the study in human nature this one. Makes me wonder what innate need and/or combination of circumstances so precisely sharpened our tendency to be so suspicious of those we haven't had any previous contact with and to also be so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those we have had previous contact with.

Might look to see how many of us just go silent when someone here seriously screws the pooch, too. Or might be interesting to see what our off-of-PoA conversations are about those.

Not everything is said here.

I can think of a few conversations that started with “What was that dumbass thinking?” LOL.

Usually at the end of a phone call or other communications for other reasons. :)

If someone thinks they “got away with it” on something stupid they did and posted here... they didn’t. Haha. Me included. I know for a fact there’s no mercy given amongst the CFI corps whether toward non-CFIs or each other.

Can’t learn if you don’t screw up, and you can’t screw up and not admit it, to learn. Also can’t expect that maybe you didn’t just earn your lifelong callsign in person over beers. Hahaha.

Nothing goes unchallenged. Just might not see it in print on the site for people we know.

Have seen a few PoAers have a chat with another in person about a poor ADM decision at a fly-in, too. All handled calmly and professionally.

The reminder as always: The Internet is not reality. The Internet is not reality. Did I mention that the Internet is not reality? LOL.

That can show damages from Internet opinions? Probably not.

Damages are presumed with defamation per se, which libel is. A clear opinion isn't defamatory, naturally, but some of this stuff is kinda so-so.

His repetitive patterns. They’re pretty obvious if you look up his body of “work”.
If they don't involve past instances of insurance fraud, then I don't see the relevance. There's a big difference between chasing a moose, for example, and what some are accusing him of now.

If they don't involve past instances of insurance fraud, then I don't see the relevance. There's a big difference between chasing a moose, for example, and what some are accusing him of now.

Don’t care about the insurance stuff. Look harder. Character stuff. List off the repeat qualities of his. If you don’t see it, you don’t have the knack for it. I highly recommend you find someone who does if you’re ever hiring people.

... The next big question: Will they try to retrieve the plane or leave it where it sits?
As nobody died, and the pilot isn't the son of a dead president, and the waters between the mainland and Santa Catalina can be, I think, more than a half-mile deep, it's not happening. Unless deception is strongly suspected, that is.

As nobody died, and the pilot isn't the son of a dead president, and the waters between the mainland and Santa Catalina can be, I think, more than a half-mile deep, it's not happening. Unless deception is strongly suspected, that is.
I agree.

Although depending on where the crash actually is the water may not be crazy deep.. if he is only a mile or two off shore where talking around 100 ft https://charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/18682.pdf

Otherwise, yes it drops off, but even there not so much less than 500 ft https://charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/18645.pdf

It would be curious to recover it

I don't know if anybody has crossed the bridge into Accusation Land. This guy was on TV at 16 and has spent time with President Obama. He's a self-made successful businessman at just 29 years old (is that Half Moon Bay he's flying over in that Lance?) who admits to being a "stunter" and is a shameless self-promoter (not often do you see anybody else in his photos). So who could ever put purposely or riskily ditching a good-running airplane beyond him, huh?

So who could ever put purposely or riskily ditching a good-running airplane beyond him, huh?
And therein lies the rub, I think he definitely was risky with it, but I doubt he ditched it on purpose

Don’t care about the insurance stuff. Look harder. Character stuff. List off the repeat qualities of his. If you don’t see it, you don’t have the knack for it. I highly recommend you find someone who does if you’re ever hiring people.
"Look harder"? What am I, your errand boy? :rolleyes1:

It's not my responsibility to do research to prove your point for you. Heck, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

In my opinion, the character allegations aren't enough to make an intentional incident plausible, because the questions I raised previously have not been sufficiently answered (and in most cases, not at all).

The reason I'm discussing insurance fraud in particular is that's it's probably the most serious of the alleged motivations for the claimed staging of the event. It would be a significant escalation from the pattern of activity that has been previously alleged in this thread, which is why I consider the lack of a history of the same crime to be significant. I would agree, however, that this lack would not, by itself, be decisive. A much more decisive flaw in the insurance-fraud allegation is the lack of evidence that the plane was over-insured.

Of course, plausibility judgements inevitably have a subjective element, so "your mileage may vary."

"Look harder"? What am I, your errand boy? :rolleyes1:

It's not my responsibility to do research to prove your point for you. Heck, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

In my opinion, the character allegations aren't enough to make an intentional incident plausible, because the questions I raised previously have not been sufficiently answered (and in most cases, not at all).

The reason I'm discussing insurance fraud in particular is that's it's probably the most serious of the alleged motivations for the claimed staging of the event. It would be a significant escalation from the pattern of activity that has been previously alleged in this thread, which is why I consider the lack of a history of the same crime to be significant. I would agree, however, that this lack would not, by itself, be decisive. A much more decisive flaw in the insurance-fraud allegation is the lack of evidence that the plane was over-insured.

Of course, plausibility judgements inevitably have a subjective element, so "your mileage may vary."

Again I have not said a word about insurance fraud. Reply to those people if you like.

You asked me questions I don’t have to answer and I told you to go try harder to see the clear pattern.

If you don’t like that answer, then don’t like the answer. I didn’t ask you to be an errand boy. You asked, I responded as far as I will go in s public forum.

The guy sank an airplane and didn’t have to with a passenger on board on the first flight after a major fuel system problem.

He can go to hell and not represent any sane pilot with his YT garbage for all I care. The rest of the repetitive character problems are just icing on that cake.

As an aside, Guthmiller should not have posted the video on his channel and definitely not put his sponsor’s logos on it. It’s not “adventure flying” it’s retarded.

Like I said, easy judgement call. What would PalmPilot do? You making that flight with a passenger? If yes, you’re not in very deep company.

Unnecessarily and knowingly endangered a passenger. The lowest pilot move of them all.

Again I have not said a word about insurance fraud. Reply to those people if you like.

Nate, I never said that YOU mentioned insurance fraud. You're not the only person posting in the thread. I'm talking about it because it is an accusation that has been made, and I specifically avoiding trying to parse out which specific persons might be liable for libel (if you'll pardon the expression).

You asked me questions I don’t have to answer and I told you to go try harder to see the clear pattern.

If you don’t like that answer, then don’t like the answer. I didn’t ask you to be an errand boy. You asked, I responded as far as I will go in s public forum.

The guy sank an airplane and didn’t have to with a passenger on board on the first flight after a major fuel system problem.

He can go to hell and not represent any sane pilot with his YT garbage for all I care. The rest of the repetitive character problems are just icing on that cake.

As an aside, Guthmiller should not have posted the video on his channel and definitely not put his sponsor’s logos on it. It’s not “adventure flying” it’s retarded.

Like I said, easy judgement call. What would PalmPilot do? You making that flight with a passenger? If yes, you’re not in very deep company.

Unnecessarily and knowingly endangered a passenger. The lowest pilot move of them all.

I don't have any quarrel with that.

Nate, I never said that YOU mentioned insurance fraud. You're not the only person posting in the thread. I'm talking about it because it is an accusation that has been made, and I specifically avoiding trying to parse out which specific persons might be liable for libel (if you'll pardon the expression).

I don't have any quarrel with that.

Fair enough. To push my point home...

What would we be saying about him if she drowned?

Would Guthmiller have posted THAT video with ForeFlight and Bose logos on it?

When I watched the first video, I do recall wondering if he takes aviation seriously enough.

When I watched the first video, I do recall wondering if he takes aviation seriously enough.
Or swimming, even. That water was DEEEP besides COOOLD! A half hour there would seem like forever.

I watched the KPIX (local station) video again and got a kick out of the fact that the reporter said that there was video from water level of the egress from the plane, but the station declined to pay the $2000 he wanted for it. I vaguely remembered that statement when I saw it the first time as part of the local news.

I'm also wondering exactly where the airplane went down. When I heard Half Moon Bay, I thought that might be a reasonable place to ditch, since it's a more sheltered area than the open ocean, plus you would surely have witnesses.

...but the station declined to pay the $2000 he wanted for it.

Ahh yes.

The “I endangered another person’s life but if only I hold this phone up for a little while longer, I’ll make back the cost of the fuel system repair I didn’t do.”

LOL LOL LOL

What an ass. :)

Back