Bo comes from together

I'm with Clark here. It makes perfect sense and sounds pretty cool, too.

I don't care where the saying originated, it's plain English and I love it!! :rockon:

I spoke with a backwoods, off-grid friend of mine in Colorado who'd heard the phrase used from before.

Must be something that comes from that stuff y'alls recently legalized.

This is what I am used to...living around the Houston Ship Channel and Chemical refinery's its a common phrase...

And a somewhat common occurrence...

Or using the latest term for a blown motor at the race track

USD...

Unintended Spontaneous Disassembly ,,

Still sad someone died in a plane crash...:sad::sad::sad:
back in the day....a company I worked for had a term for the lawyers.....

Rapid Disassembly.....

That was put in our engineering test reports....each time a battery blew up. :rolleyes2:

back in the day....a company I worked for had a term for the lawyers.....

Rapid Disassembly.....

That was put in our engineering test reports....each time a battery blew up. :rolleyes2:
Do you mean "each time a battery blowed up?"

Down here in the south people say "I might can do that", as in:

"Hey, can you cut up some lines for me?"

"I might can do that"

WTF, either "fk off", "yes" or "maybe", but "might can"?!?!? Is that like "definite maybe"?!?

"I might can do that"

WTF, either "fk off", "yes" or "maybe", but "might can"?!?!? Is that like "definite maybe"?!?
'
I would interpret that as "might be able to."

"I might can do that"

Its a short form of "I might be able to do that". And while it is an awkward wording, it is decipherable without further explanation.

'
I would interpret that as "might be able to."

fair enough.

Its a short form of "I might be able to do that". And while it is an awkward wording, it is decipherable without further explanation.

completely disagree.

let's go with Palmpilot's explanation in the following interview scenario:

hiring manager: You'd be the lead developer on a big upcoming project. Can you code in C#?

goober interviewee: I might can do that. Or, "I might be able to"

next candidate please......

or how about at the bar:

eman1200: Bartender, can you please pour me a Guinness?

goober bartender: I might can do that. Or, "I might be able to".

well, I kind of figured that you had in within your ability to do so, since you know, you being a "bartender", or, "one who pours beers", that you are fully capable of doing so.

or how about if it's my birthday and I have the following conversation with my girlfriend:

eman1200: honey, it's my b-day, can I have a bj?

goober girlfriend: I might can do that.

so, you see, to the rest of the non-southern world, it's very puzzling lingo.

It's not puzzling at all. In every case the other person understood the answer. The answer was "might be able to" when they wanted "sure, I can do that". It was completely understandable; it just wasn't the desired answer.
fair enough.

completely disagree.

let's go with Palmpilot's explanation in the following interview scenario:

hiring manager: You'd be the lead developer on a big upcoming project. Can you code in C#?

goober interviewee: I might can do that. Or, "I might be able to"

next candidate please......

or how about at the bar:

eman1200: Bartender, can you please pour me a Guinness?

goober bartender: I might can do that. Or, "I might be able to".

well, I kind of figured that you had in within your ability to do so, since you know, you being a "bartender", or, "one who pours beers", that you are fully capable of doing so.

or how about if it's my birthday and I have the following conversation with my girlfriend:

eman1200: honey, it's my b-day, can I have a bj?

goober girlfriend: I might can do that.

so, you see, to the rest of the non-southern world, it's very puzzling lingo.

Yabut have ya been to a hog callin' or a county fair?

If you have to have attended either of those to have heard this expression then I'd say it's definitely NOT a common phrase.

Also the replies here seem to have you in the vast minority, as so far only one person has ever even heard it before much less used it.

also, "mightcan" makes me want to punch kittens in the face. One of the worst abortions of the english language next to "nae nae"

Last edited:
If you have to have attended either of those to have heard this expression then I'd say it's definitely NOT a common phrase.

Also the replies here seem to have you in the vast minority, as so far only one person has ever even heard it before much less used it.

also, "mightcan" makes me want to punch kittens in the face. One of the worst abortions of the english language next to "nae nae"

"might could" is even worse... I always cringe when I hear that.

As for the title of this thread... Add me to the list of never heard it before. Obscure and uses more words than just saying "Bo came apart". Next time I want to deliberately be obscure and say something confusing using more letters than necessary I will use this one. :lol:

Personally, I don't have a problem with regional dialects; I think they add spice to life.

Regional dialects usually don't leave me confused. This time I was waiting to read about a Bo literally departing a place called Together.

Iffn ya don't like "might could", the simple solution is to go summwheres that they don't say it. Otherwise, keep your biscuits in your own gravy and we can all be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC1052
Since this was a Bo, there must have been a doctor on board.

Yeah, but he was killed. __________________

Doctor kill'd air ???

Ok, what is "nae nae"?

This thread make my head not feel good...

Iffn ya don't like "might could", the simple solution is to go summwheres that they don't say it. Otherwise, keep your biscuits in your own gravy and we can all be happy.

Trust me, I avoid those places like the plague. Unfortunately I live in a military town where our government brings all forms of backwards speakers.

Ok, what is "nae nae"?

It's part of what some people call music these days. Dont youtube it, you'll hate yourself for it.

brian];1998048 said:
This thread make my head not feel good...

Bad head no good, lay down go.

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who equate unusual language patterns with intelligence. Everyone grows up talking the way they hear others talking around them and it has no bearing at all on how smart they are.

One of the smartest guys I know works in quantum physics and grew up in a little crossroads that is a suburb of Landis NC (which is a suburb of Kannapolis, which is a small town on I-95 north of Charlotte). He has a lot of fun dropping "might coulds" and other phrases in just to confuse people, then switches over to talking about quantum states and string theory.

Our challenge is to overcome our own prejudice and not judge their intellectual ability based on what comes out of their mouth.

Back