Bo comes from together

We're really just giving Clark a hard time. :)

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who equate unusual language patterns with intelligence. Everyone grows up talking the way they hear others talking around them and it has no bearing at all on how smart they are.

One of the smartest guys I know works in quantum physics and grew up in a little crossroads that is a suburb of Landis NC (which is a suburb of Kannapolis, which is a small town on I-95 north of Charlotte). He has a lot of fun dropping "might coulds" and other phrases in just to confuse people, then switches over to talking about quantum states and string theory.

Our challenge is to overcome our own prejudice and not judge their intellectual ability based on what comes out of their mouth.

Occasionally a challenge for those of us habitually dealing with ATC. :dunno:

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who equate unusual language patterns with intelligence. Everyone grows up talking the way they hear others talking around them and it has no bearing at all on how smart they are.

One of the smartest guys I know works in quantum physics and grew up in a little crossroads that is a suburb of Landis NC (which is a suburb of Kannapolis, which is a small town on I-95 north of Charlotte). He has a lot of fun dropping "might coulds" and other phrases in just to confuse people, then switches over to talking about quantum states and string theory.

Our challenge is to overcome our own prejudice and not judge their intellectual ability based on what comes out of their mouth.

Well said.

Reminds me of the guys on that show Rocket City Rednecks.

I liked that one but I think they canceled it after a couple seasons. Bunch of country boy rocket scientists building random contraptions for TV. The main guy was Travis Taylor, a super well educated guy from N. Alabama who worked for NASA and DoD on many projects. Fun show. Safety Third!

Last edited:

You said a lot, there!

Many of the smartest people I know (my clients) are (as I like to say it) "unburdened by the limitations and biases of formal education." Which is to say, not having been told what they cannot do, they go out and do amazing things.

Most of them are "country" - like the guy who grew up on a pig farm and living in a home with no running water (seriously) - a millionaire many times over, treats his people, from the lowliest laborer on up, like gold because, as he puts it, "that was me once." To hear him speak, of course, many an ivy league snob would discount his knowledge and intellect, but they would do so at their peril.

Success, well-earned. I can say (and this is all I'll say on this topic) that the possibility of folks like this accomplishing as they have been able to, in the current regulatory environment, is profoundly restricted.

You said a lot, there!

Many of the smartest people I know (my clients) are (as I like to say it) "unburdened by the limitations and biases of formal education." Which is to say, not having been told what they cannot do, they go out and do amazing things.

Most of them are "country" - like the guy who grew up on a pig farm and living in a home with no running water (seriously) - a millionaire many times over, treats his people, from the lowliest laborer on up, like gold because, as he puts it, "that was me once." To hear him speak, of course, many an ivy league snob would discount his knowledge and intellect, but they would do so at their peril.

Success, well-earned. I can say (and this is all I'll say on this topic) that the possibility of folks like this accomplishing as they have been able to, in the current regulatory environment, is profoundly restricted.

My favorite story that opened my eyes - when I worked for big tobaccy, one of my first meetings was with a Tobacco Scientist. His first words on the call were "Hey y'all - what's doin'?" and he sounded about as country and redneck as you can imagine.

Immediately, my mind went into "this guy is dumb, I better speak slowly" mode. Once he started talking about the chemical properties of filter paper and how the various flavors that are added to tobacco are made of chemical properties and whatnot, I quickly learned that this PhD was not only smarter than I'll ever be, but that I was also a giant asshat for thinking otherwise based on his voice and vocal stylings.

I am not but I have spoken with and listened to many people from the world all over.

Ah, I see. I try not to interact with people from outside of my immediate geographic area all over, lest my little world might from together, you know?

(Where I come from, we say things like "down da bayou" and "making groceries," so I probably don't have much room to tease! :wink2:)

There is proof that the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky. Anywhere else they would have called it a Teethbrush!!!!

Tada, Rimshot!!!!!!

(Where I come from, we say things like "down da bayou" and "making groceries," so I probably don't have much room to tease! :wink2:)

Da Bayou is were ya makes da groceries. Sumbuddy gotta skin the gator. :D

Seriously though, it is saddening to see regional accents disappearing. My first time in Texas I had to learn a whole-nuther-language. :hairraise:

There is proof that the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky. Anywhere else they would have called it a Teethbrush!!!!

Tada, Rimshot!!!!!!

Thought that was invented where I live, Alabama....:confused: :dunno:

:D love when people cut Alabama down, I usually respond by saying "good, you won't move here then right?" :lol::yesnod:

I can usually understand what Clark is saying although I come from a different geographic region. But 'come from together' stumped me. :D

I think I'll use it more often.

I can usually understand what Clark is saying although I come from a different geographic region. But 'come from together' stumped me. :D

I think I'll use it more often.

'Come from together' is colloquial usage. Technically it should be 'done come from together'. Hope that helped.

'Come from together' is colloquial usage. Technically it should be 'done come from together'. Hope that helped.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place. We would all have understood and could have avoided all this confusion :wink2:

"Done blowed the **** up" I think would have been better grammar. ;)

"Done blowed the **** up" I think would have been better grammar. ;)

That one is closer to what I recognize from my time on a pig farm. ;) Usually referring to the chore truck.

"Gimme that damned shotgun and stand back," was another I wasn't ready for at 13 years old, but it was kind of the owner to blow the rattlesnake about six feet away, into two pieces. Damn snakes hiding in the grass. Literally.

Back