Binding Checklists

Richard WOODS

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Richard W
I created my own checklists, put them in mini sheet protectors, and bound them using 3 1-inch binder rings; but I am seeking other binding options. I would like to hear how you have bound your checklists.

I haven’t done it with a checklist but have with other things. If you go to fedex office you can have them print it and spiral bound it, even slap a clear cover on the front and back to keep in good shape and have it printed on thicker stock rather than printer paper

this may be good option!

I used to make up my own
I'd print them something like 5 inch x 7 inch and cut them down. Took them to what was then Kinko's (does that even exist anymore?) and had them laminated and bound along the top edge (short edge) with a small spiral maybe 1/4 inch diameter.
I made mine so they were two pages two sided in a logical format....cover would be preflight, back or last page would be starting engine and run-up stuff without turning the page. Then I'd flip the page so it was inside out...one side would be normal operation stuff, the other side would be emergency reference stuff.

I pulled out my old 172N model list just the other day and reviewed it. The flight school I'm renting from uses the checkmate card. I don't care for it. Do 4 laps around the airplane for preflight if using it like a to-do list..very inefficient....and I find myself often lost sorting through all the extra words from the factory list.
Anyway, I was playing with customizing the checklist in Garmin Pilot. I might use it for preflight but not likely for inflight stuff.....

I print it on a 8.5x11 sheet and then fold in half. I don't laminate, because a checklist is a moving target. I revise it often (as should everyone). So leaving it on paper works fine.

I did that exact thing when I was a student and the checklist didn’t fit my “flow”.

When I bought my plane, the checklist fit on the front side of a sheet, so I folded it in half and laminated it. I then folded it further in half to read like a book, 8.5” x 2.75”. Preflight in front, pretaxi inside left, takeoff to cruise inside right, and descent to shutdown on back.

And the comment on revision is right. Since I started IFR training, it’s changed yet again.

I laminate using heavy stock, at least 5 mil. My preference is to get the checklist down to a single page so it turns into an easier size to handle.

Hint, put a thick black bar along the top and half way down the edge so it's easy to tell front and back immediately. The bars touch the same edge and are "on top of" each other on opposite sides of the paper. Black bar on the left/top, you're looking at the front of the paper. Black bar on the right/top, you're on the back.

Mine are a few pages. I used to think of putting them all on one page was the goal. Eventually I decided readability was more important, so larger font and white space became the goal. It turns out my normal checklists are two pages, my emergency checklists depends.

(I have a few additional pages with information about special equipment, performance data, and "gotchas." They are extra to leave the main checklist free of clutter.

(Most of those extra pages are there because I fly multiple airplanes with different equipment - I wouldn't expect someone who always flies the same airplane or ones with similar avionics, engine monitors, etc to do that.)

I print them 2-up on regular printer paper, insert them in these vinyl holders, and "bind" them with thin cable ties.

Leather straps, check
Silk scarves, check
Handcuffs, check
Blindfolds, check

Oh, wait....:blush:

I use the page holder and rings also. But only use one or two rings.

This gives a visual indication of which end is up, after it inevitably falls on the floor.

Rings go on top corner of top corner and center only.

I used to make up my own
I'd print them something like 5 inch x 7 inch and cut them down. Took them to what was then Kinko's (does that even exist anymore?) and had them laminated and bound along the top edge (short edge) with a small spiral maybe 1/4 inch diameter.
The guys who started Kinko's while in college sold to FedEx years ago. Made a bundle. I hate dealing with FedEx. I needed the Sporty's big C172 poster laminated. Cost about $16 back in November. Last week I had the C 182 laminated - $26 dollars. 50% increase in 4 months.

I bought a small laminator at Office Max - $20 I think. Whenever I need to change my checklists, I print them at home and laminate at home. Paid for the laminator first time I used it. I get the plastic pockets when they go on sale.

I wrote a blog entry on creating spiral bound checklists. Turned out great!

Directions for making: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/pilot-created-checklists/

IMG_7293-1024x944.jpg

Last edited:
I made my own with a printer and my wife's laminator. One sheet of paper folded in half so the actual card is double-sided.

I dislike long multi-page mini-book checklists. I understand for some bigger and more complicated aircraft they may be needed but for most single engine piston aircraft I think you ought to be able to get it down to a single double-sided laminated card. The key is to think of it as a memory jogger for things you want to make sure you don't forget not an instruction manual. Do you know your engine start procedure by heart? Just make that "Start engine". You know how to do a mag check right? Do you need it written out in each step or can you just say mag check? OTOH it would be easy to say forget to set your DG or forget to set the altimeter or forget to set the transponder to 1200 and those are the sorts of items that should be written out IMO.

The guys who started Kinko's while in college sold to FedEx years ago. Made a bundle. I hate dealing with FedEx. I needed the Sporty's big C172 poster laminated. Cost about $16 back in November. Last week I had the C 182 laminated - $26 dollars. 50% increase in 4 months.

They secretly do it by airplane price. Just like everything else in aviation. :)

Like Nate I laminated the pages and used one ring in the upper left corner. My sheets include what to do in a gear up emergency (something that is hardly ever practiced). Included the important speeds for an engine out and short field. I also added the ICAO filing steps and codes. My airplane partner is not an IFR rated pilot so I have a page on how to operate the GFC 500 autopilot and the IFD 540 in order to shoot a GPS approach. Total of three pages front and back, fits in the side pocket easily.

For the typical fixed-gear single-engine airplane I suggest building checklists which avoid tabs and "flipping pages." For a C-172 or similar airplane it ought to be manageable on a single page.

I managed to get my Twin Comanche down to a one double-sided, 8.5x11 piece of paper for normal procedures, and another double-sided page for emergencies, and it's quite a bit more complicated than the typical fixed gear, fixed pitch prop single. My aging eyes aren't loving the smaller typeface as much as they once did, but it still works pretty well for me. And there are a lot of "extras" on there in addition to raw checklists.

At this stage of my career I have flown with more pilots I can count, and I've watched all of them work on the flight deck. The vast majority are best served by simple checklists which don't require flipping, scanning, or searching. I've seen those kinds of checklists used under stress any number of times, and more often than not, it hasn't gone too well.

What are you flying where you need that many pages?

What are you flying where you need that many pages?

It's tabbed by phase of flight, making it fast to flip to the appropriate section. Actually works very well.

The last page is tabbed on the bottom STOL operations for the plane's Robertson R/STOL kit.

Personal to my habits, when the checklist is focused to the phase of flight, my checklist usage is much higher. Green tabs are current page, white tabs are page behind if flipped.

Directions for making: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/pilot-created-checklists/

IMG_7300-1024x896.jpg

Last edited:
It's tabbed by phase of flight, making it fast to flip to the appropriate section. Actually works very well.

The last page is tabbed on the bottom STOL operations for the plane's Robertson R/STOL kit.

Personal to my habits, when the checklist is focused to the phase of flight, my checklist usage is much higher. Green tabs are current page, white tabs are page behind if flipped.

http://welch.com/n46pg/category/pilot-created-checklists/

IMG_7300-1024x896.jpg

I’d think that all could be one half sheet front and back.

Seeing you arnt removing the STOL, wouldn’t all operations be per the STOL numbers?

I’d think that all could be one half sheet front and back.

Seeing you arnt removing the STOL, wouldn’t all operations be per the STOL numbers?

The Robertson is interesting. It can be flown book numbers for take-off/landing, or by leaning into the STOL performance envelope for short field.

I know a lot of pilots like a quick card with list items on front/back. Nothing wrong with that and a terrific checklist format for many. I just prefer tabbed by order of flight to find what I need quicker; especially when my eyes need to leave the checklist for an action and return to continue the list. It also rests on my knee board better with sliding off.

The list was created in PowerPoint portrait mode and then printed on a color laser printer both portrait and landscape without further editing. This produced a standard size and pocket version. OfficeMax charged less than $20 to laminate and spiral bind both versions.

Dave, you got all fancy.

Red tabs for emergency procedures?

Dave, you got all fancy.

Red tabs for emergency procedures?

That is a really great idea! and obvious after you mentioned it.

The emergency procedures are still on a laminated card stuck in the top of the panel pocket. Red tabs are the next version.

My aging eyes aren't loving the smaller typeface as much as they once did,
So why not use larger type even if it means another page or pages? What's the matter with a page dedicated only to the approach and landing phase of flight?

I print double column format on letter size card stock and put in a plastic sheet protector with the holes cut off. One sheet front and back has the departure, cruise, and landing checklists, another the emergency checklist as well as some Garmin shortcuts on the back. Both clip nicely on my flight clipboard or lap desk where I keep the initial flight plan and can copy clearances and other information. I use large print that's easy to read.

I must admit the spiral bound checklists look really neat and tidy, though.

So why not use larger type even if it means another page or pages? What's the matter with a page dedicated only to the approach and landing phase of flight?

Maybe nothing. If I have a hard time reading it (and I'm getting closer to that point) it might be better to just give up and add another page.

But all things being equal it's best from an user interface standpoint to have as little flipping around as possible. The front side of my normal procedures checklist is organized all the way up to, but not including, cruise. The backside of the page is cruise to landing. If not for typeface and vision concerns, it'd be a step backwards to add a page.

I have the emergency checklist organized in a similar way, although not by phase of flight, it's a very neat organizational method. I'm loathe to give it up.

I just use ForeFlight. Easy and you aren’t limited by pages lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should add that my checklist was also developed for a couple of reasons mentioned above.

I agree with @midlifeflyer on the print size. :) A few pages in larger print is insurance against turbulence knocking my glasses off. I’m nearsighted which helps but also astigmatism. Tiny print during an emergency would be annoying.

Secondarily, we also have a Robertson airplane and the STC required modifying the POH, but the 80s mechanic either didn’t do it, or it was lost. A modified POH is required to be on board.

So I made one. :)

If I think of it then I’m near it, I can send a photo of the STC. It has little blurbs that are mandatory checklist changes to the POH, and of course significant changes to the performance section.

I laminated them, punched a single hole in the upper left corner, and put 'em on a keyring.

Maybe nothing. If I have a hard time reading it (and I'm getting closer to that point) it might be better to just give up and add another page.

But all things being equal it's best from an user interface standpoint to have as little flipping around as possible. The front side of my normal procedures checklist is organized all the way up to, but not including, cruise. The backside of the page is cruise to landing. If not for typeface and vision concerns, it'd be a step backwards to add a page.

I have the emergency checklist organized in a similar way, although not by phase of flight, it's a very neat organizational method. I'm loathe to give it up.
I have to disagree about user interface. The best user interface is the one which leads to the pilot to use it. Part 135 and 121 operators have the necessity of standardization. We don't. We can set them up with colors, varying fonts, no varying fonts, plain, fancy, one page, 10 pages, whatever leads us to actually use them.

I had a discussion with an instructor who asked the excellent question based on observation - why don't pilots use checklists? I've seen the same. Pilots who, once finished with the before takeoff checklist, put it aside, never to be seen again until the next flight. No use for post takeoff climb, cruise, descent, landing, after landing, shutdown.

I answered him. "Because most checklists suck. They reflect someone else's idea of what a checklist should look like, not what makes most sense to the specific pilot."

interesting that the checklists incorporated into avionics like the G1000 are phase of flight oriented. When you access the climb checklist, your eyes see inky the tasks associated with the climb. Not sure why you would think it would be better from a user interface standpoint if it is a bad idea unless it also showed the takeoff tasks which were already completed or the cruise tasks which come up later.

I'm not in any way suggesting it's bad to combine them. Just that it is not bad to not combine them if that's what a pilot finds is better for that pilot.

BTW, my own personalized normal op checklist is only two pages. But it is also so condensed that much of each page has quite a bit of white space.

I
interesting that the checklists incorporated into avionics like the G1000 are phase of flight oriented. When you access the climb checklist, your eyes see inky the tasks associated with the climb.

That’s what I did to mine. Each page is a phase of flight. Finish it, turn page. It’s both a reminder as to what the next phase is at the top, so when you set it aside, you know when to pick it back up again, and also doesn’t force you to scan halfway down or to a specific block when you pick it back up.

Put it down after turning the page, pick it back up for say, “Cruise” and you just start at the first thing. You’ve probably already done your flow and you’ll read down it, and flip to the next page and see thats “Descent” and it’s ready to go for that.

I was on the sixth version ... still messing with it, but I like it. Whatever gets someone to use the darn thing, I’m open to whatever format they like. Just can’t remove things in it from the official one. Adding stuff, whatever floats someone’s boat.

I stuck some local frequencies and phone numbers and such in the rather large margins. Stuff that’s always available in the phone or iPad but useful enough they might as well be there.

One of the schools I trained with had the magic cold and hot start procedures for their cranky girls in their custom checklists. That’s always kind. Don’t have to sit there fooling with it to see which technique this particular engine likes. :)

They also added some reminders about typical things you see pros do that lots of non-pros don’t, like various mandatory crew briefings.

They’d also added little touches like activating the fancy new ELTs that didn’t exist and didn’t have panel activation switches when the airplanes came out in the 70s.

And pulse light systems that also didn’t exist for the original checklist from the manufacturer.

Cruise had some numbers for their digital EGT and CHT gauges. Another non-70s Add on.

Etc.

:)

I have to disagree about user interface. The best user interface is the one which leads to the pilot to use it. Part 135 and 121 operators have the necessity of standardization. We don't. We can set them up with colors, varying fonts, no varying fonts, plain, fancy, one page, 10 pages, whatever leads us to actually use them.

I had a discussion with an instructor who asked the excellent question based on observation - why don't pilots use checklists? I've seen the same. Pilots who, once finished with the before takeoff checklist, put it aside, never to be seen again until the next flight. No use for post takeoff climb, cruise, descent, landing, after landing, shutdown.

I answered him. "Because most checklists suck. They reflect someone else's idea of what a checklist should look like, not what makes most sense to the specific pilot."

interesting that the checklists incorporated into avionics like the G1000 are phase of flight oriented. When you access the climb checklist, your eyes see inky the tasks associated with the climb. Not sure why you would think it would be better from a user interface standpoint if it is a bad idea unless it also showed the takeoff tasks which were already completed or the cruise tasks which come up later.

I'm not in any way suggesting it's bad to combine them. Just that it is not bad to not combine them if that's what a pilot finds is better for that pilot.

BTW, my own personalized normal op checklist is only two pages. But it is also so condensed that much of each page has quite a bit of white space.

Well, there's some art mixed in with the science on this topic, but there's a lot of science. The science suggests it's better to simplify, if possible. Also, you really can't mix electronic checklist concepts with paper. They don't go together at all. Most of us use paper in little airplanes. That has been my focal point for the conversation since that's what was presented to us in this thread. Electronic checklists are their own animal. For what it's worth, as a brief treatise, I don't use them in little airplanes. I experimented with them quite a bit, then stopped. I do use them at work.

Paper checklists: the science also suggests it's better not to subcategorize information in subpages, if at all possible, on paper checklists. Of course many aircraft are simply too complicated to do otherwise. One of the types I stay current in is the Gulfstream 450/550 series. I have an app on my iPad called Planebook which is continually updated by Gulfstream for the latest procedures. It's not awesome from a UI perspective, but it's pretty darn good, and they are continually tweaking the UI to make it better. Anyway, it's a surprisingly simple aircraft, at the end of the day, but the normal and emergency checklists are never going to fit on a single page. (Electronic or paper.)

But a Cessna 172? Yeah, it can fit on one page.

I attended a great symposium on fatigue in aviation. In it, the presenters debunked the most basic of all the common "myths" associated with fatigue. It had to do with forecasting fatigue and providing crews with sleep schedules. The myth was that pilots think they "do better in the evening anyway," or "better in the morning anyway," or "feel more alert at the end of the flight," or X, Y, or Z. This, in response to Fatigue Meter's assessment of the best time the crew should sleep on an international trip. But the performance metrics didn't agree with the pilot's personal assessment. In fact they were dramatically, and diametrically opposed. Pilots thought they performed well at certain times of day or after certain duty periods, but in fact, they did not.

That's true across the spectrum, actually. User interface has performance metrics associated with them. The way we interact with the equipment, with other crewmembers, and even checklists. You might personally think you'd do better with a spiral-bound, tabbed-out checklist with a lot of data associated with it, but probably, you don't. If that surprises you, you're not the only one. My first generation checklist that I used in my Twin Comanche used a large typeface, and color coded, across 10 or so pages of what I considered easy to read text. My emergency procedures were on different color pages (yellow, actually). I was pretty proud of it. Went through three big revisions before I settled on it. Used it for years.

Then my interest in Human Factors gave me exposure to some high level thinking on this topic. The way I designed my checklists for my Twin Comanche, the colors, the complexity, the simplicity, all of it. I went back to one double-sided piece of paper for all of my normal procedures, and a separate, distinctly different design (also one double-sided page) for my emergency procedures. There's a ton of stuff to consider. Not making the checklist too simple; not making it too verbose. Overdo it and the crew (or single pilot) tend to start skipping items which should have been consolidated. Underdo it, and important steps might be missed.

I think my performance is probably better. Not because I measure it that way, because subjectively, I can't, really. I can think whatever I want, believe that I know "what's best for me," but in reality my actual and perceived performance are probably different. I just know that under stress, my mind tends to work like a lot of other human brains, and that I picked a simple design which allowed me to utilize muscle memory to my advantage to go to the right checklist. And that study in this area suggests that's the best way to do it. I'm unlikely to use the wrong one. I'm unlikely to read checklist items in the wrong order because of the shading I used between columns and the small margins between the item and the action. I think I stacked the deck in my favor.

You did say a few things I agree with. "Most checklists suck." Absolutely. And quite a few COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf) checklists contain flat out wrong information and are poorly formatted. Many legacy manufacturer checklists are woefully out of sync with modern thinking on checklist design. Sometimes it seems some random admin at the company in question, back in the 60s or 70s or whenever it was, just typed up the procedures they thought were best, in whatever random order came to mind. And electronic checklists absolutely should be phase of flight oriented, sequenced for correct utilization. Generally emergency procedures will call for leaving the electronic checklist to go to the QRH, even in modern business jets. This is true in the Gulfstream 450/550 as well as the Challenger 300/350, the latter of which is a more modern design. Ironically we now go from the electronic checklist on the MFD to the iPad rather than a paper emer proc checklist, but it's the same concept anyway. The iPad does make it simpler and faster to go directly to the needed emergency procedure. But once located, the user still simply "reads" the checklist on a static screen. It's not interactive.

Thanks for an interesting discussion!

Paper checklists: the science also suggests it's better not to subcategorize information in subpages
Would be good to know what study you're referring to. Not disputing you, but also tend to be skeptical of "science" when the extent of the science is the word science.

I personally find single page checklists to be a pain to use when you need to get back to where you left off. Too much stuff there vs turning small pages that put you where you left off. There's also a lot of extraneous stuff on some of the commercial versions, that could be removed which might get a single page more usable.

Personally, I don't care for binding checklists. I'm a comme ci comme ça type of guy. Resistant to authority, not a follower. Rules scmules. If there's a checklist, I might use it to shade my eyes from the early sun reflecting off the water.

Just kick the tires and light the fires, let's go!

See: jocularity

At the risk of internet critics picking this apart, it works for me, but suggestions welcome.

Like I said earlier, fold in half and laminate it (8.5x5.5), then fold again after lamination to read like a book. Preflight, Taxi, Up, Down are now all on their own separate “page” that way.

Emergency procedures are separate. I have 4 copies in the plane, one in side and seat-back pocket. Mine has a red ribbon tied to it so I can pluck it out in an instant.

4817A4FA-9BE8-438B-BE77-9085FC55FB55.jpeg

Ryan brings up some interesting points to consider.
the point about what we think we do best with may not necessarily be true especially rings to me....

I personally find single page checklists to be a pain to use when you need to get back to where you left off.
Exactly
On my last flight using the flight school's checkmate card I was yet again caught in that trap.... setting out to do the run up I started 'blindly' clicking through the first bunch of checks in the "starting engine" list.
Thinking about it a big part in my case is probably being guilty about using the checklist as instructions....instead of doing the flow, doing the job, then using the list to double check. I've often felt like that is a shortcoming in a lot of my training.

But going back to my starting back through a section I already did... so much of that stuff that seems to be noise in my mind is what seems to be extraneous stuff &/or stuff that is in an illogical sequence on the list....or duplicated and already checked, unnecessary to check again at this point.

Would be good to know what study you're referring to. Not disputing you, but also tend to be skeptical of "science" when the extent of the science is the word science.

I personally find single page checklists to be a pain to use when you need to get back to where you left off. Too much stuff there vs turning small pages that put you where you left off. There's also a lot of extraneous stuff on some of the commercial versions, that could be removed which might get a single page more usable.

I'm going to get pinged with TL;DR here, but hey, you asked... ;)

There is more than one study involving checklist usage and design. There are many. If you get "into" checklist design from a human factors standpoint (I did, obviously) you're going to quickly run into research by Asaf Degani. He has published a great deal on this topic, the majority of it in the 90s and the early 00s. First with San Diego State University, then NASA. Here's one of the first papers you'll run across on checklist design and usage from Degani: https://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/adegani/Cockpit Checklists.pdf . But we've actually come a long way from this initial research.

To some extent, I've been able to sub-specialize in Human Factors as part of my role on the Safety Committee at my place of employment, so as part of that, I got shipped off to school in Southern California. My first Factors class, I start hearing his name -- "Degani" -- thrown around. It was a common name to other people, but not me. If you imagine his initial work on checklist design and interface issues in aviation to be the "football," it has been picked up and carried since then by the highly knowledgeable folks at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering. The HFH Course (Human Factors in Aviation Safety) is where they work with his data and research, among many others, of course. In that course we were exposed to new studies which looked at the same procedures and tasks in business as well as commercial aviation.

The other commonly referenced document in Factors-related checklist design and implementation procedures is this one: https://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/adegani/Flight-Deck_Documentation.pdf . Here's where spacing, typeface selection, colors, etc. are all considered in great detail.

In "Objectives and Scope" Degani writes: "Effective appearance of flight-deck documentation is affected by the correct graphical presentation and the environmental conditions that influence reading in the cockpit. These two factors should agree with the unique physical condition of the cockpit, the capabilities and limitations of the human operator, and the method of using the documentation as dictated in the standard operating procedures (Degani and Wiener, 1991; 1994)."

I added the bold/underline highlights.

That's what drives checklists in different directions. There are no "single page checklists" for airline or business aviation operations, but you'll see a trend towards simplification and much better "interface design" when the paper checklists are actually required or used. Bombardier had a 5-year plus project in which their emergency procedures QRH for the CL30 and GLEX underwent a dramatic interface change. Some of the burdensomely long emergency checklists (smoke/fire in the cockpit, etc.) were streamlined. And they went with a novel new concept - a "QRC" placed at the front of the QRH. The QRC is a little card, a quick reference card, which contains procedures formerly referred to as "memory items." Engine fire? Pluck the little card from the very front of the binder and read the steps. It will then direct you to where to go in the QRH for the rest of the procedure. This is yet again an attempt to reduce the amount of "flipping through pages" which we're trying to get away from as much as possible in aviation, especially with emergency procedures. Of course there will always be page flipping for turbojet aircraft emergency procedures, but we want to minimize it.

In little airplanes, COTS checklists tend to be a plastic card of some size, perhaps about the size of an 8x10 photo or a little smaller, even. Conceptually, that's not bad, but the popular "Checkmate" brand checklists are a disaster of design especially when you start reading some of the research on the best way to build checklists so that human eyes can read them and human brains can effectively execute them.

Once I realized the state of checklist design and that my old multi-page checklist was woefully underserving my needs, I consolidated to a single page, double-sided normal proc QRH and a single page, double-sided emer proc QRH. I can tell from memory (because of the way the two checklists are divided from front to back) exactly which side of which page I'll need to go to for a given procedure. Worst case scenario is I might have to flip from one side of the page to the other. That's it. No digging, no flipping, no trying to read tabs and open the correct page. My airplane is simple enough not to require it, so it's a nice way to optimize a single pilot IFR operation which doesn't enjoy the redundancy of a second crewmember or high levels of flight deck automation. I.e. "take advantage of what you've got!"

Best regards,

Mine's a simple plane, so the checklist can be shorter and to the point. No page-flipping necessary.

Soooo important...slide your thumb down over each checklist item as you go. Then, when you get the inevitable distraction, you can resume the list exactly where you left off.

I'm going to get pinged with TL;DR here, but hey, you asked...

Thanks for this, I'll read the studies this evening. I know my Checkmate list is lousy, and looking to make one that is much better. What I'm interested in understanding is why a single page is better than a booklet that opens to the current phase of flight is better. I totally get it for emergency stuff, just not for the more routine parts.

These are the two checklists I referenced. There are a few changes I'll be making to these soon. But for the most part, with only a few exceptions, these are HF-inspired designs. Feel free to take it or leave it. Despite the research that's been done in checklist design for commercial and business aviation, these are derivative for small airplane operations and I probably see these things a bit differently because aviation is my profession. Whatever you build must take into account your own perspective.

First, the big picture. I've mentioned a few times that there are two pieces of paper here. (Laminated paper, that is.) One is normal procedures, front and back. The other is emergency procedures, front and back. It's 95% of what I reference for all operations. It is still possible to need to dive into the actual AFM from here, but it would be improbable.

More big picture: the way the checklists "look" at a glance. It's very easy to simply glance and see that the normal and emergency procedures are very different in appearance, but not format. The normal procedures have pastel colors backing the different sections. The emergency procedures are topped with a large red bar and and there are no pastel colors to be found in the procedures. It's designed so that under stress, it's almost impossible to start working from the wrong checklist.

More big picture: the pastel colors in the normal procedures are based on color psychology. The specific colors used for each phase of flight are, for the most part, not important. They were (mostly) scattered randomly so that it would be easy to return to the same section of the checklist by familiarity with the color. It also trains the eye to know where to look on repeated usage. For example, the entire pre-flight and before starting engines check is one big light green block. "Starting Engines Cold" goes to light magenta and is the first procedure that stands out a bit. The only phase of flight which really jumps out at the user is the light yellow section on the bottom right, "after takeoff." Of all the things the user really doesn't want to do here, it would be to forget to raise the gear or retract the flaps. So I use color psychology to draw the eye there a bit.

Even more big picture: the way each side is organized. Side one of the normal proc takes the user from pre-flight to enroute climb. At the conclusion of the enroute climb checklist, the user can put the checklist away and wait until reaching cruise altitude. In my airplane that's typically around 8,000 feet MSL on the eastern seaboard. Time to relax and focus on flying the aircraft, deal with ATC, etc. I usually slide the checklist back up to the corner of the glareshield, but I flip it when I put it down so that "cruise" is waiting for me.

On the backside of the normal proc the user is taken from cruise to shutdown. By now the color psychology should be evident. "GUMPPS" and the missed approach checklist really jump out at the user. The Missed Approach is also located right in the center of the checklist, hard to miss.

In each section, tasks which might be "chunked" are indented. For example, "ASAP" on the approach checklist.

The emerg proc QRC works in similar fashion. The border colors of the emergency procedures give some clues as to what kind of procedure is being depicted. Anything related to fire or smoke is outlined in red. The next most critical categories of emergencies are outlined in amber (yellow) and include engine failure in flight and electrical failures. Gear is blue and the rest are black. For procedures which flow together such as engine securing and airstart, the dashed border goes away and returns to a solid border. This denotes a procedure which will always be associated with a previous emergency procedure, such as a single engine approach. This is where colors start returning -- single engine landing, etc. All designed to guide the eye where it should go.

I chose to link the procedures together with the grey bar below each procedure, i.e. "PROCEED TO ENGINE SECURING PROC".

That's how I applied what I learned into an effective QRH for my needs.

Attachments

• QRC - NORMAL PROC - N8259Y v1.2b (2) (1).pdf
    115.7 KB · Views: 19
  • QRC - EMER PROC - N8259Y v1.2b (2) (1).pdf
    104.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
with a lot of data associated with it
I absolutely agree with you on this point. Separate, easily identifiable phases of flight is not an invitation to over-inclusion. If anything it is part of simplification.
Thanks for an interesting discussion!
On this too. If the discussion leads folks to develop personalized checklists which leads to better, more consistent use, all to the good.

Story I've told before. I was doing transition training for a pilot moving from a 172 to a 182. Time after time, the pilot missed adjusting the cowl flaps. Finally before one landing, instead of prompting for them, I simply repeated "you've missed something." The trainee would look everywhere to figure out what he missed - except at the checklist sitting in his line of sight on the glareshield. He had gotten so used relying solely on his simple 172 before landing flow, the thought of using a checklist never even crossed his mind.

Back