Biannual flight review...

dtvonly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dtvonly
I am thinking of getting a tail dragger rating from another flight school since my flight school only have C172. But it is also time for my BFR. My question is: can i get a BFR in a tail dragger from another school and also be trained in a tail dragger plane? Or do i have to get a BFR in a C172 first from my flight school then get a tail dragger training somewhere else? Thanks.

A flight review is a flight review.

"Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor." That's the regulation.

That's the only requirement. It does not have to be "your" flight school, "your" flight school's airplanes, "your" regular CFI, or an airplane your regularly fly. If you have a private pilot certificate with "airplane single engine land" printed on the back under the heading "ratings," it can be done in any single engine land airplane.

one of the very best ways of doing a flight review is the process of learning a new model or earning an endorsement.

The taildragger endorsement doesn't count AS a BFR, but nothing says you can't get a BFR done at the same time. The BFR just requires an hour of flight and an hour of ground instruction. If your instructor wants to sign off that while he's signing you off for the conventional gear endorsement, that's fine.

So the simple answers to your questions are yes and yes.

Yes, you will receive both ground and flight training for the tail wheel endorsement. The CFI will toss in a Part 91 reg review.

The taildragger endorsement doesn't count AS a BFR, but nothing says you can't get a BFR done at the same time. The BFR just requires an hour of flight and an hour of ground instruction. If your instructor wants to sign off that while he's signing you off for the conventional gear endorsement, that's fine.

Yulp ... that's what I did many years ago when I got my tail wheel endorsement. Discussed it with my instructor upfront. Had a great time and learned a lot. Took a couple of days to get it all done.

BTW ... why so many flight reviews? ;)

Since getting my private pilot certificate, here are the ways that I have accomplished my flight review.
Complex endorsement
High power endorsement
Multi engine rating
Tailwheel endorsement
CAP Form 5 (twice)
Seaplane rating (straight floats)
Amphib checkout plus Wings credits
Glider rating
Spin/upset recovery training
And airplane checkouts at FBOs, a couple that I combined with Wings credits.

These were not all done at two year intervals but rather when the opportunity arose and I felt like it. It really isn’t difficult to find a way or a reason to do one. Not sure why some folks make it hard. My philosophy is that any time you are going to spend an hour or more flying with a CFI, do some ground work with them or do some Wings courses and knock out a FR.

Tell the instructor you want a tailwheel endorsement and a flight review. I'm reasonably confident the instructor can figure out how to integrate those two task.

Using simple Pilot Financial Logic you can calculate the cost of a BFR in your flight school's 172 and then consider that amount as a discount in obtaining your tailwheel endorsement.
There, feel better already huh?

Back