BFR coming up

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
I know that it varies a lot but what should I expect for my BFR? I just scheduled it for mid-October. I will reach out to the CFI (never flew with him before, all the ones from when I trained are gone). I just wanted to get some ideas of what is a reasonable expectation.

Thanks.

BTW- If I got licensed on Oct 5, my BFR is due end of October (24 calendar months) correct?

I'd been flying with an instructor for various things throughout the last year, so it was pretty much just taking a flight with him to work on some weak areas that I self identified and that made him happy. YMMV

Also, use the opportunity to do things you might not do without a CFI. I'm thinking like short approaches, simulated engine outs, anything really that is out of your comfort zone. Make the most of it!

In the ones I've had, we just do the normal things I'd expect, such as stalls, slow flight, short field landings, etc... I find that they generally just like to share some unusual knowledge; on the last one he showed me some accelerated stalls for instance.

A good CFI will inquire as to what type flying you typically do, and gear the ride and ground towards that. Ground will encompass a review of Part 91, update you with changes etc, maybe a weight and balance, basically anything that your level of pilot certificate calls for. Maybe review emergency checklists, things like that. I usually have them fly out to the training area, do some steep turns, a stall or two, MCA/slow light, intercept/track a VOR for a few miles, simulated forced landing, hood work on the way back, and then to the airport for a few touch and go landings.

Remember, it's not a check ride and you can't fail. If the CFI isn't comfortable your logbook won't be endorsed for a satisfactory FR however.

Here's a good reference:

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/flight_review.pdf

Last edited:
Read the FAA guide to Flight reviews. I cover almost everything in the PTS.

Impress your instructor with correct terminology, they are not called BFR's anymore, just FR.

bi-annually required FR

It's simply a mini check ride. Oral and flight with maneuvers appropriate for the certificate level you hold. Nothing to fret over.

Yup, end of that month 2 years later.

I'd know your airspace, know what's required for you to fly, know your systems, air work figure it's the PTS, often just the basic PPL PTS

A good CFI will inquire as to what type flying you typically do, and gear the ride and ground towards that. Ground will encompass a review of Part 91, update you with changes etc, maybe a weight and balance, basically anything that your level of pilot certificate calls for. Maybe review emergency checklists, things like that. I usually have them fly out to the training area, do some steep turns, a stall or two, MCA/slow light, intercept/track a VOR for a few miles, simulated forced landing, hood work on the way back, and then to the airport for a few touch and go landings.

Remember, it's not a check ride and you can't fail. If the CFI isn't comfortable your logbook won't be endorsed for a satisfactory FR however.

Here's a good reference:

A *&&^%# CFI will take the FAA recommended FR document and walk thru the entire document, billing 3 hours or so for "ground portion" of the FR. If the ground goes over an hour, go find another CFI.

BTDT. No longer working with that CFI nor the school.

Yup, end of that month 2 years later.

I'd know your airspace, know what's required for you to fly, know your systems, air work figure it's the PTS, often just the basic PPL PTS

Don't you mean the ACS? :)

A *&&^%# CFI will take the FAA recommended FR document and walk thru the entire document, billing 3 hours or so for "ground portion" of the FR. If the ground goes over an hour, go find another CFI.

BTDT. No longer working with that CFI nor the school.

If for some reason you don't click with the CFI, you are allowed to stop the FR and go to another instructor. And if for some unknown reason the FR is not satisfactory, you do not have to go back to that CFI, you can choose another if you wish.

And yes, your FR is due at the end of the calendar month, being October 31.

I always try to do things that I am uncomfortable doing alone. One year we flew all of the routes that transition the LA Class B airspace, another year we spent the whole time doing cross-wind landings in a plane I just purchased. I spent a lot of time flying with new pilots in my Cherokee so one year I go checked out in the right seat. I know a couple of guys who got their tailwheel endorsement and one guy who got a seaplane rating. These were all with different CFIs so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding someone to work with you on improving your flying.

Here's a good reference:

This is exactly what I do. I give flight reviews to a lot of local aircraft owners. If I don't know them well I ask them about their flight experience & how they use their airplane. I then tailor the flight review based on that. For example, if it's Super Cub owner that mostly flies back country strips the review would be quite different than a pilot in an A36 that flies all over the country in class B airspace.

I'm picky on airspace, knowing your airplane, & knowing requirements to be current. That's just me.

I know that it varies a lot but what should I expect for my BFR? I just scheduled it for mid-October. I will reach out to the CFI (never flew with him before, all the ones from when I trained are gone). I just wanted to get some ideas of what is a reasonable expectation.

Thanks.

BTW- If I got licensed on Oct 5, my BFR is due end of October (24 calendar months) correct?
Only thing I could add to all the above is you are doing it with a CFI you haven't flown with before and I think that's good. I do them yearly instead of every two years and always find CFI I haven't flown with before. I never fail to learn learn something. I also have something I want to do. Last time I had been reading about falling leaf stalls so we did that. I always want to do some hood work.

Identify your own weaknesses or areas you'd like to improve upon and have him help you with those. BFRs are nothing to be nervous about.

Last edited:
I think they should do away with them...aaaaannnnd GO!:popcorn:

Since a medical is no longer needed, why do a FR.?? In fact, if you have a drivers license, why not call that good for a pilot certificate?

Training is over rated.....:crazy:

You don't need an FR if you do the streamlined wings program. :p

The CFI I use is great and really hits the PTS and a couple things above the PPL rating for exposure. He loves engine out scenarios, and you'll get a solid half dozen, including takeoff.

My favorite was the flight review a few years back. CFI was an acro competitor with a Pitts and we used his plane. Did the usual stuff for ground (over an hour), then he added about another 1.5 on the ground for acro stuff, then a little over an hour in the air with the usual steep turns, etc. taking about 10 minutes and the rest spins, aileron rolls, barrel rolls a couple of loops. His foggled "unusal attitudes" recoveries when removing the foggles were insane sight pictures ... he had so much fun he didn't want to charge (his plane, fuel and time). Total time including a huge post brief was nearly 5 hours! Yes I did pay him ....

Spins, rolls and very unusual attitude recovery should be at least ONE flight review ....

I just did my first 'official' FR in like 6 years, one of the previous ones was Wings and the other was a new rating. It was a bit of discussion of changes in the regs and a few other things on the ground then an hour of flying with a divert, power-off approach to landing, short, soft, slow flight and some steep turns. Nothing special, nothing interesting or new really. Of course I did a 5 hour checkout in the plane 5 months ago(really should have convinced that CFI to make it a FR) and 40 hours since then, so there really shouldn't have been any surprises.

Next up, 3 more approaches before the end of October. Hopefully Oregon will grant me some clouds otherwise I'll have to find a safety pilot.

Had a guy show for a FR in a Stearman. Never flown in nor flew one, and he said he'd rent our C172 or C152 if I wanted him to. Hell no, let's go in the Stearman. Now! It was fun.

Truthfully, I have never received a BFR or FR. I got my first certificate in 93, I believe.

Back